Author Topic: Karl Rove: Romney 'Has a Shot' at the White House  (Read 8194 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Karl Rove: Romney 'Has a Shot' at the White House
« on: January 12, 2015, 09:56:22 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=618062

Newsmax
Monday, January 12, 2015 01:47 PM

By: Wanda Carruthers

Former Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney "has a shot" at winning the White House in 2016, and could follow in the footsteps of former Presidents Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan who failed to win the nation's highest office on their first attempt, said GOP strategist Karl Rove.

What Romney will have to do is to show he's serious and wasn't merely "teasing people" when he recently told donors he was interested in running again, Rove said. He would also need to convince voters and donors he was committed to changing the mistakes that caused him to lose the presidential race three years ago.

"He certainly has a shot. He was the Republican nominee in 2012, so he's got a lot of advocates and followers," Rove told Fox News' "Happening Now" on Monday. "He's going to have to say, 'Look. I get why I lost last time around, and I'm making changes that will make you feel that I'm going to be a better candidate.'"

The process of winning the presidency took Nixon eight years, Rove said, because he had to "prove that he was different and had changed," adding Reagan did the same when he ran for president.

"Ronald Reagan had to do it between 1976 and 1980. In 1976, his campaign was focused on knocking down [former Secretary of State] Henry Kissinger and his foreign policy. By 1980, it was the optimistic sunny Reagan talking about Kemp-Roth tax cuts," he said.

Rove said there were as many as 23 Republicans seriously eyeing a run for the White House, and predicted it was going to be an "unusual" contest. One thing that would be different was that all the candidates would be "judged on how they handle the dynamics of the campaign — how do they handle success and adversity over the next 12 months, 13 months?"

With so many potential candidates, he said it was both bad news and good news that "the big names are all talking about running," because it would put a "premium on people and on money and on time."

Rove said none of the Republicans interested in running would pull away from the party and run as an independent, predicting that "the odds of that are slim or none, and Slim's saddling up his horse and getting ready to ride out of town."

"Running as an independent is very difficult in modern American politics," he said. "I see all [of the potential candidates] as loyal Republicans who want to run as the Republican nominee, and who will support the Republican nominee, if it's not them."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GourmetDan

Re: Karl Rove: Romney 'Has a Shot' at the White House
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 09:57:35 pm »

Yeah well, technically, so do I ...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

rangerrebew

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 10:31:54 pm »
Yeah well, technically, so do I ...

Even Pat Paulson had a chance.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 10:54:59 pm »
Rove must be reading my posts. I've been saying the same thing.

If he throws his hat in, Romney does have a shot at the White House. Maybe the folks here won't vote for him. But as I recall, the folks here didn't vote for Obama, either.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 11:17:42 pm »
Former Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney "has a shot" at winning the White House in 2016, and could follow in the footsteps of former Presidents Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan who failed to win the nation's highest office on their first attempt, said GOP strategist Karl Rove.
More likely, however, he'll follow in the footsteps of Harold Stassen, who failed to win the nation's highest office on any of his attempts.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 12:33:22 am »
"He's going to have to say, 'Look. I get why I lost last time around, and I'm making changes that will make you feel that I'm going to be a better candidate.'"

I take it he is changing religions?  Fair or not, that is the reason he lost.

Although I did vote for him in 2012, and would likely vote for him in 2016 if he is the nominee, I maintain he has no chance of winning.  He has two giant albatrosses around his neck: (1) His Wall Street past, and (2) his Mormon religion.  He can't get rid of either of them.  He also cannot really shake his very poor record as a governor.

How many people have won the presidency without carrying the state they governed?

At least Jeb Bush can likely deliver the state he governed.  Romney cannot deliver the state he governed, or even the state his father governed. 

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 12:37:45 am »
How many people have won the presidency without carrying the state they governed?
Good question. There must be statistics available somewhere.

I wonder if Paul Walker could carry his state if he ran for president.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 12:43:36 am »
I'm personally not interested in anything Karl has to say any more.  He is NOT on our side!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 01:59:56 am »
"He's going to have to say, 'Look. I get why I lost last time around, and I'm making changes that will make you feel that I'm going to be a better candidate.'"

I take it he is changing religions?  Fair or not, that is the reason he lost.

Although I did vote for him in 2012, and would likely vote for him in 2016 if he is the nominee, I maintain he has no chance of winning.  He has two giant albatrosses around his neck: (1) His Wall Street past, and (2) his Mormon religion.  He can't get rid of either of them.  He also cannot really shake his very poor record as a governor.

At least Jeb Bush can likely deliver the state he governed.  Romney cannot deliver the state he governed, or even the state his father governed.

I think that RomneyCare is actually a giant albatross as well.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline evadR

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 02:05:54 am »
"...the folks here didn't vote for Obama, either."

Most of 'em probably didn't vote for Romney either.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 03:47:45 am »
[[ Karl Rove: Romney 'Has a Shot' at the White House ]]

A poorly-aimed one, indeed!

evadR quipped:
[[ "...the folks here didn't vote for Obama, either."
Most of 'em probably didn't vote for Romney either. ]]

Well, I did.
And I voted for both Bushes, too.
But I'm tired of retreads. Les' have a fresh set of shoes for the old elephant to run with, ok?

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 02:12:06 pm »

I really doubt that. Perhaps a survey would reveal the truth.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 03:06:31 pm »

Scott Walker.....you're thinking of the deceased movie star.

He won three elections in a State where the Left tried to recall him twice...so yes, he'd carry his own State.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 04:24:00 pm »
oops, what was I thinking (and I even get his Facebook posts!)!?!??  ^-^
Scott Walker! Scott Walker!  (doh)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 05:05:19 pm by mountaineer »

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 04:44:31 pm »

I don't doubt that he would.

Offline evadR

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2015, 09:36:13 pm »
Quote from: evadR² on January 12, 2015, 09:05:54 PM

I really doubt that. Perhaps a survey would reveal the truth.

Well, I hope I'm wrong but really not sure.

I'll go 1st...

I VOTED FOR ROMNEY. I don't give a crap if he's a mormon, christian or heathen. As long as he isn't muslim.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 12:55:49 am »
I voted for Romney, although not enthusiastically, because the alternative was - and has proven to be - just too awful.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 01:07:28 am »
I voted for Romney, although not enthusiastically, because the alternative was - and has proven to be - just too awful.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline speekinout

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2015, 01:08:54 am »
I voted for Romney, gladly. I always want a President with executive and leadership experience, and he has both. He was a successful businessman, a GOP Gov. with a dim legislature, and I do admire how he saved the Salt Lake Olympics.

He does lack charisma. And that's a failing of every GOPer in the race. I like Scott Walker, but charismatic, he ain't. A huge % of the popular vote goes to the most charismatic candidate, and that's rarely the GOPer. Reagan had it, and GWB sure had a lot more than algore.
I don't think it's the "wishy-washy" "gop-e" or whatever other factor most people complain about in the losing GOP candidates - I think it's all about charisma. I often think we should vote for "Mr (or Ms) Personality" and have a second vote for Presidential ability. The dims would almost always sweep the first, and the GOP would get the second.  :laugh:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2015, 02:16:09 am »
I voted for Romney, gladly. I always want a President with executive and leadership experience, and he has both. He was a successful businessman, a GOP Gov. with a dim legislature, and I do admire how he saved the Salt Lake Olympics.

He does lack charisma. And that's a failing of every GOPer in the race. I like Scott Walker, but charismatic, he ain't. A huge % of the popular vote goes to the most charismatic candidate, and that's rarely the GOPer. Reagan had it, and GWB sure had a lot more than algore.
I don't think it's the "wishy-washy" "gop-e" or whatever other factor most people complain about in the losing GOP candidates - I think it's all about charisma. I often think we should vote for "Mr (or Ms) Personality" and have a second vote for Presidential ability. The dims would almost always sweep the first, and the GOP would get the second.  :laugh:
Charisma is huge, along with projecting common sense thinking to real problems.

And remember 42 percent apparently self identify as Independents, which makes me believe they could care less for political parties' squabbling. Finally I doubt most people go through the litmus lists often seen on real conservative@ forums.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline speekinout

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2015, 02:23:55 am »
Charisma is huge, along with projecting common sense thinking to real problems.

And remember 42 percent apparently self identify as Independents, which makes me believe they could care less for political parties' squabbling. Finally I doubt most people go through the litmus lists often seen on real conservative@ forums.

True. But the "real problems" are ones that people are feeling at the time. They only notice the economy if there's a problem in their own pocketbook, and they only notice foreign affairs if there's a 9/11 or a Paris. That's why so many are independents.

2016 will still have 0bamacare, so that's a benefit to any GOPer. I'd rather we don't have another terrorist incident, so maybe we will only have 0bamacare and charisma to bring out the vote.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2015, 02:26:50 am »
True. But the "real problems" are ones that people are feeling at the time. They only notice the economy if there's a problem in their own pocketbook, and they only notice foreign affairs if there's a 9/11 or a Paris. That's why so many are independents.

2016 will still have 0bamacare, so that's a benefit to any GOPer. I'd rather we don't have another terrorist incident, so maybe we will only have 0bamacare and charisma to bring out the vote.
I've seen polling information on independents, and they lean right of fiscal issues, and lean libertarian on social issues.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2015, 02:32:41 am »
I've seen polling information on independents, and they lean right of fiscal issues, and lean libertarian on social issues.

Two words: Rand Paul.

Offline speekinout

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2015, 02:33:54 am »

Then why did so many of them vote for 0bama in 2012? That was left on fiscal issues and way, way left on social issues.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2015, 02:47:38 am »
Then why did so many of them vote for 0bama in 2012? That was left on fiscal issues and way, way left on social issues.
Bush had not put up much fight in the last years, and the nation had GOP fatigue, and were war weary.

Obama looked appealing, by contrast. The tide had turned with dems taking the House majority in 2006, so it was a continuation of that trend.