Author Topic: BASEBALL 2017---Bring it On!!!  (Read 95257 times)

Offline GrouchoTex

Re: BASEBALL 2017---Bring it On!!!
« Reply #925 on: September 22, 2017, 08:23:44 pm »
He had the exact same number of hits home and away: 1815

Here are his career splits: https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=musiast01&year=Career&t=b

I had it wrong, but I knew there was something about the hits.
Since he was a left handed batter.....

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #926 on: September 23, 2017, 10:19:46 pm »
NOBODY out flaked this guy!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Fidrych

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMSDo3BX5Ds

@Bigun @Machiavelli @EasyAce @DCPatriot  @Polly Ticks @GrouchoTex  @Cyber Liberty

I have become a nerd, thanks to Easy And Mach!  Been reading everything I can find on the "old timers." The kittens keep me awake, anyway! @Freya

So now I have found out why Yankkee Stadium iis nicknamed "Ruth's house!" Then found out about Hank Aaron.  Then I am off to DiMaggio. Found out why the rookie Judge's anything are so expensive.

This is really a history of the United States.  I feel like I knew nothing!  But thanks to you and this thread, I am learning. 

The reason I liked Mark McGwire so much (in case anyone cared) is because he had a son about the same age as my two nephews.  That was at the time I watched about a thousand Little League games.  Mark's son went to a Parochial school in Orange County, California, during this time. (the name of the County is a sweet fruit as opposed to a lemon.  WTF?)

At one of the school's fund raising events Mark showed up unexpectedly.  He was out on the baseball field just hitting balls to the kids.  Some other moms and dads were watching.  No one knew who he was!  He was hitting homers for the young kids' pitches.

The following year is when I won the Mark McGwire "shrine" at the end of the Little League season.  By then he was well known.  I was offered $500 for it as I walked off the stand.  Nope!

Then on the way to my nephews' homes they were fighting over who it belonged to.  They really thought I was going to toss a coin and give it to one of them.  To their utter surprise, neither of them got it!

But Mark swore he would never play for a California team because they did not pick him up as a player.  He used to hang out in Seal Beach.  That is the border beach town between L.A. County and Orange County, California.

So that he is no longer a player, but a coach, that is why I have seen him with the Dodgers and for two years with the Pads.

Now I am rambling.  But I want to thank all of you for this most fascinating history lesson of the United States via baseball.  Not finished studying.  Probably going to take me for-e-ver! ⚾
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #927 on: September 24, 2017, 01:04:17 am »
That's a great story about Mark McGwire, @Slip18 !
I used to watch quite a bit of Oakland A's back in the Bash Brothers era.
I liked McGwire, but Rickey Henderson was my favorite.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #928 on: September 24, 2017, 01:57:03 am »

@Polly Ticks
I will have to look up Rickey Henderson!  I am sure he was fabulous!

Here is another story about Little League:

My sister had to go to work on Saturdays around the second inning.  But she watched every inning she could.  Around the fourth inning the coach told me that my nephew was going to be the catcher.  He told me to put on his cup.  WTF is a cup?  I had no idea, and I had to ask his coach what that was. 

He just stared at me.  My nephew is laughing.  My nephew showed me the cup.  I still did not get it.

The coach put on his cup with me and a few people around so no one could see what was going on.

I did have a few words with my sis, like, "Perhaps you could have explained a few things to me in advance?"

There is absolutely nothing so hysterical about first grade Little League!  The kids are looking for things on the ground instead of watching for the ball being hit.  They are kicking dirt around.  The slide into first base makes you wanna cry and laugh at the same time!

This Little League nephew is very successful in business now as is my other nephew who writes programs for video games.

Little League and the Pony Tail League are great for kids in so many ways!

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #929 on: September 24, 2017, 08:17:18 pm »

Polly, I found a Rickey Henderson signed baseball.  It is not from my regular go-to person, but an auction house that is a great place to find things.  I have been using this place for years.

Do you want to know where you can get it?  Not expensive at all.  The signatures, if they are not from an authentication place are authenticated from a third party.  Not as good as some authentication places, but they are real signatures.  I only saw one, and I marked it so I can find it.

You bid on these things.  One time I bid $1 for something.  The item went for over a thousand dollars.  Of course, I did not bid after about ten dollars. LOL!  But you can find deals out there! :finger:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #930 on: September 24, 2017, 08:34:18 pm »
Athletics' Bruce Maxwell first MLB player to kneel during national anthem

9/24/17 12:43 AM MT
ESPN.com news services

Oakland Athletics rookie catcher Bruce Maxwell became the first Major League Baseball player to kneel during the national anthem when he did so before Saturday night's 1-0 home victory against the Texas Rangers.

Maxwell, 26, dropped to a knee and pressed his cap against his chest just outside Oakland's dugout during the anthem, adopting a protest started by former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick in response to police treatment of blacks.

Maxwell pressed his right hand against his heart while facing the flag, and teammates stood in a line next to him. Teammate Mark Canha, who is white, placed his hand on Maxwell's shoulder, and the two hugged after the anthem finished.

AP Photo, so link only:  http://a4.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2017%2F0923%2Fr262756_1296x729_16%2D9.jpg&w=1140&cquality=40

More:  http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/20796662/oakland-athletics-catcher-bruce-maxwell-kneels-national-anthem

I noticed he didn't play yesterday, and isn't on today's roster.  I can't believe Bob Melvin is going to tolerate this.

This shit needs to stop, and STOP RIGHT NOW.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #931 on: September 24, 2017, 09:18:44 pm »
Diamondbacks have just clinched the top Wildcard slot in the National League.  First payoff berth in six years.  Tix for the game on sale tomorrow, in Phoenix.  Magic Number for home field advantage is 1.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 09:20:38 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #932 on: September 24, 2017, 11:24:56 pm »
Dbacks just clinched home field advantage.  The Champagne Shower just started on the field, and it's going to continue into the locker room!  This was a bases loaded, walk-off win. 
I will NOT comply.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #933 on: September 25, 2017, 01:51:11 pm »
Polly, I found a Rickey Henderson signed baseball.  It is not from my regular go-to person, but an auction house that is a great place to find things.  I have been using this place for years.

Do you want to know where you can get it?  Not expensive at all.  The signatures, if they are not from an authentication place are authenticated from a third party.  Not as good as some authentication places, but they are real signatures.  I only saw one, and I marked it so I can find it.

You bid on these things.  One time I bid $1 for something.  The item went for over a thousand dollars.  Of course, I did not bid after about ten dollars. LOL!  But you can find deals out there! :finger:

Cool beans!  Thanks for the offer, @Slip18 . As much as I would love to pursue it, I have 2 college-age kids right now and another one who is graduating from high school this year. My discretionary dollars are pretty well spoken for in the foreseeable future. I'll just have to live vicariously through your great finds! (And you'll have to get @Cyber Liberty to help you post some more pictures of some of your treasures!)
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #934 on: September 25, 2017, 02:51:13 pm »
Cool beans!  Thanks for the offer, @Slip18 . As much as I would love to pursue it, I have 2 college-age kids right now and another one who is graduating from high school this year. My discretionary dollars are pretty well spoken for in the foreseeable future. I'll just have to live vicariously through your great finds! (And you'll have to get @Cyber Liberty to help you post some more pictures of some of your treasures!)

Totally understand! Price is going up already.  Without kids here, how many balls can we afford? ⚾ ⚾ ⚾ LOL!

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #935 on: September 25, 2017, 02:58:17 pm »
Diamondbacks have just clinched the top Wildcard slot in the National League.  First payoff berth in six years.  Tix for the game on sale tomorrow, in Phoenix.  Magic Number for home field advantage is 1.

After the champagne and fun in the locker room, our guys took a dip into the pool at Chase Park!  Even Paul Goldschmidt got involved when the guys were yelling, "Goldy, Goldy, MVP, MVP!" What an exciting night!   :finger:

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #936 on: September 25, 2017, 07:04:21 pm »
After the champagne and fun in the locker room, our guys took a dip into the pool at Chase Park!  Even Paul Goldschmidt got involved when the guys were yelling, "Goldy, Goldy, MVP, MVP!" What an exciting night!   :finger:

Congrats, and between Col, STL, and MIL........    all should be pretty easy picking.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #937 on: September 25, 2017, 09:29:35 pm »
Congrats, and between Col, STL, and MIL........    all should be pretty easy picking.

If we had to play the Rockies in CO, that would be a rough and tough battle!  That field is weird!  The ball carries so far, too, because of the altitude.

But we get home field advantage!  That means a lot.  We may even get to have our roof opened because the weather is just beautiful now! 

Summer is gone for another year!  Your feet can burn even wearing shoes on cement *bouche*

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #938 on: September 26, 2017, 12:01:06 am »
@catfish1957 @Cyber Liberty  @Polly Ticks @DCPatriot

I have a bid on a couple of COA signed balls, but I have to run because I have some bids on some just bitchen hats.  Two are from Bullock's Wilshire in Los Angeles.  No longer there, but I worked across the street and had lunch there twice a week.  They even had an Otis elevator operated by a real person.  Great fun.

Anyway three of the baseball bids are for Don Sutton, George Bush before he was president when he owned the Rangers and a player from the Negroe League.  That way when I text about the ball, I can text "Negroe," correct?  His first name is Ray, HOF, and I forgot his last name because of my little rush for the hat!

I will bring his name back in here.  That one will be a prize!

I think we are going to have to get that 48-ball wall hanger, my darlin' love o' mine!  Heck, I am on a roll!  Wheeee!

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #939 on: September 26, 2017, 01:34:07 am »
@catfish1957 @Cyber Liberty  @Polly Ticks @DCPatriot

I have a bid on a couple of COA signed balls, but I have to run because I have some bids on some just bitchen hats.  Two are from Bullock's Wilshire in Los Angeles.  No longer there, but I worked across the street and had lunch there twice a week.  They even had an Otis elevator operated by a real person.  Great fun.

Anyway three of the baseball bids are for Don Sutton, George Bush before he was president when he owned the Rangers and a player from the Negroe League.  That way when I text about the ball, I can text "Negroe," correct?  His first name is Ray, HOF, and I forgot his last name because of my little rush for the hat!

I will bring his name back in here.  That one will be a prize!

I think we are going to have to get that 48-ball wall hanger, my darlin' love o' mine!  Heck, I am on a roll!  Wheeee!

Nice! Great fun, indeed!
 :beer:

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #940 on: September 26, 2017, 02:25:08 am »
Nice! Great fun, indeed!
 :beer:

It is!  But dangerous...

Got the hat(s)!  I love hats.  You have to wear them in the AZ heat.

The baseball player is Ray Dandridge.  He is a HOFer inducted in 1987. His batting average was .357 (wow!), and he had been an All Star three times.  Great athlete! Great addition to the collection!

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #941 on: September 26, 2017, 01:28:40 pm »
NOBODY out flaked this guy!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Fidrych

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMSDo3BX5Ds
@Bigun
I dunno, there've been some pretty good flakes in baseball history, including but not limited to . . .

Lefty Gomez

Casey Stengel---Name one manager other than him who ever tipped his cap to fans . . . letting
a bird fly out from the cap. Or rounded his players up in front of the dugout to mock the White
Sox's exploding scoreboard by having the players and himself prance around holding sparklers
after one of their mates hit one out in Chicago. Or greeted the paying customers at the old
Polo Grounds where his Mets played their first two seasons (I was there, waiting to get into
the old wreck with my grandpa), "Come an' see my amazin' Mets! I been in this game a
hundred years but I see new ways to lose I didn't know were invented yet.")

Warren Spahn and Lew Burdette---partners in crime on the 1950s Braves, whose gags included
sending limousines to bring to the ballpark enemy hitters against whom they were pitching
particularly well---Joe Garagiola was a frequent recipient.

Juan Marichal---known as an amiable practical joker in his clubhouse whose favourite gag was
handing teammates nicely carved bottles of perfume to give their wives or their girl friends . . .
who learned the hard way the bottles were loaded with stink bombs.

Mickey Mantle---very renowned as a great practical joker, including:
* The time he raffled a ham off in the Yankee clubhouse, only to tell the winner
there was no ham, but that's the hazard of a game of chance.

* The time he told rookies Joe Pepitone and Phil Linz it was time for them to hang with
the big guys and to take a cab to a Detroit hotspot and ask for Whitey Ford's table,
only to discover the place was in the city's worst slum area and had been closed
for months.

* The time he left Ford's deodorant tube full of stickum (Ford swore he used it to get
a better grip on his curve ball) in full enough view for Yogi Berra to borrow when
his own deodorant ran out . . . sending Berra screaming into the trainers' room
to get his arms shaved loose from his sides.

Jimmy Piersall---even after his successful treatements for mental illness remained a natural
flake---including the day he shuffled around the bases in reverse after hitting his 100th career
home run.

Bo Belinsky---the playboy of the baseball world from 1962-65, before he married a Playmate
of the Year.

Moe Drabowsky---made The Bird resemble a chick still in the egg, including the day he mimicked
A's manager Alvin Dark and called the A's bullpen ordering a reliever to start warming up . . .
. . . while A's starter Jim Nash had a no-hitter going! Did I mention Drabowsky once ordered
Chinese takeout---from Hong Kong, sent to the other guys' bullpen? Or, that he once ran
a string of high-powered fireworks up to the teepee of the old Braves mascot Chief Noc-A-Homa?
Or, that he---with fellow Baltimore relievers Pete Richert and Eddie Watt---put live goldfish
into the water cooler of the enemy bullpen? Or, that the three topped Whitey Ford's bullpen
restaurant (Ford liked to spread a checkered tablecloth over a table in the pen and fill it
with loaves of Italian bread and cold cuts) with wienie roasts?

Tug McGraw---once replied, when asked what he thought of Astroturf, "I don't know, I've never
smoked Astroturf." (Also predicted his 1969 Mets would go all the way after he saw Neil Armstrong
in a certain place: When those astronauts landed on the moon, I knew anything was possible
and we had a chance.
) He also disclosed what he did with his signing bonus when the Mets
first found him: I spent half on booze and broads. The other half I wasted.

Graig Nettles---fabled for his smart@$$ one liners and periodic pranks. (Some boys want to play
baseball. Some want to join the circus. I feel lucky. When I came to the Yankees, I got to be both.
)

Bill (Spaceman) Lee. Probably self explanatory.

Rick Dempsey---Orioles catcher who cooked up a routine during rain delays where he'd put on
his team jacket, fill it with water, walk out to the plate, do a perfect caricature of Babe Ruth hitting
one out and running the bases, until he dove headfirst sliding home on the tarp making the
jacket explode the water out of it.

Roger McDowell---relief pitcher once voted as the Met most likely to be committed in a poll,
whose gags included the classic hotfoot laid on first base coach Bill Robinson---timed to
explode up the back of Robinson's ankle the moment he got back to the coaching line,
on a game televised nationally against the Reds, all of whom were laughing their @$$es
off along with the Mets when Robinson got nailed.

Super Joe Charboneau---Indians Rookie of the Year who was so flaky the city fell in love
with him . . . then, the following year, a back injury basically finished him as a player.
Drinking a beer through his nose was probably one of his lesser stunts. He was
baseball's one man version of Animal House before his injury.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #942 on: September 26, 2017, 01:31:36 pm »
EA....

One you left off from our team.....   Doug Rader, ...The Red Rooster

I am sure you know of his exploits.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 01:33:17 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #943 on: September 26, 2017, 01:45:12 pm »
EA....

One you left off from our team.....   Doug Rader, ...The Red Rooster

I am sure you know of his exploits.
@catfish1957
I wasn't sure they could be repeated in polite company with ladies present. ;)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #944 on: September 26, 2017, 02:50:21 pm »
@EasyAce
He [Tug McGraw] also disclosed what he did with his signing bonus when the Mets first found him: I spent half on booze and broads. The other half I wasted.

I use that line all the time.  Now that I know it's Tug's I'll have to be sure to give him proper attribution.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #945 on: September 29, 2017, 03:01:07 am »
@EasyAce  Somehow, some way, I have to save this whole danged thread!  You are amazing!

@Polly Ticks @Cyber Liberty @Bigun @ Machiavelli @catfish1957  @DCPatriot  and at everyone on the ⚾ thread

Cyber and I went on a one-night holiday.  He got on the mobile hot spot via his Droid.  I was busy, anyway, playing and losing on quarteroker machines.  Those four of a kind keep you going for a little bit!  But the put in three, win two, get you every time.

Anyway, while I was playing, my auctions on my balls (hahahaha!) ended.  I missed out on a few, but bid high enough on two of them that I did win.  Those two were Tony Gwynn signed COA ⚾ I got for a whopping $38 and a Don Sutton signed COA ⚾ I paid $40.  Or it could be the reverse. 

I did not win on the Dandridge, George W. Bush (before his presidency) ball and a few others.  Some I did not put in a larger bid because there was no COA.  Heck, I have a few of those to sell myself, not really, because I am careful about that little document.

But I am thrilled, yet again!  I loved Tony Gwynn because I was a Pads fan in that era (before Cyber and the D-Backs), and Don Sutton because I grew up with him.  Not personally, but ⚾ ly, so to speak.

And we are off to win the World Series!  That is if everything goes correctly the way I see it.  JD (just dinged) Martinez could fall, Peralta's train could fall off the rails, Goldy's hair could turn 🍊 (afraid to use that word), Ianetta could lose his vowels, A.J. Pollock (nicknamed Pollo) could get salmonella, Ketel Marte may run out of vodka, you get it.  Did not even mention a pitcher!  Anything could happen. But I think the D-Backs will win!

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #946 on: September 29, 2017, 03:04:36 am »
@EasyAce  Somehow, some way, I have to save this whole danged thread!  You are amazing!

@Polly Ticks @Cyber Liberty @Bigun @ Machiavelli @catfish1957  @DCPatriot  and at everyone on the ⚾ thread

Cyber and I went on a one-night holiday.  He got on the mobile hot spot via his Droid.  I was busy, anyway, playing and losing on quarteroker machines.  Those four of a kind keep you going for a little bit!  But the put in three, win two, get you every time.

Anyway, while I was playing, my auctions on my balls (hahahaha!) ended.  I missed out on a few, but bid high enough on two of them that I did win.  Those two were Tony Gwynn signed COA ⚾ I got for a whopping $38 and a Don Sutton signed COA ⚾ I paid $40.  Or it could be the reverse. 

I did not win on the Dandridge, George W. Bush (before his presidency) ball and a few others.  Some I did not put in a larger bid because there was no COA.  Heck, I have a few of those to sell myself, not really, because I am careful about that little document.

But I am thrilled, yet again!  I loved Tony Gwynn because I was a Pads fan in that era (before Cyber and the D-Backs), and Don Sutton because I grew up with him.  Not personally, but ⚾ ly, so to speak.

And we are off to win the World Series!  That is if everything goes correctly the way I see it.  JD (just dinged) Martinez could fall, Peralta's train could fall off the rails, Goldy's hair could turn 🍊 (afraid to use that word), Ianetta could lose his vowels, A.J. Pollock (nicknamed Pollo) could get salmonella, Ketel Marte may run out of vodka, you get it.  Did not even mention a pitcher!  Anything could happen. But I think the D-Backs will win!

Astros have scored about 60 runs in their last 4 games darling!  Sounds like you and Cyber are having PHUNN!   888high58888

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #947 on: September 29, 2017, 03:13:44 am »
Astros have scored about 60 runs in their last 4 games darling!  Sounds like you and Cyber are having PHUNN!   888high58888
Awwww, Shitzu!!!  Should be very phun in the sun, un, sun with minnows nipping

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #948 on: September 29, 2017, 03:14:06 am »

Wheeee!  That's my baby!
I will NOT comply.

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #949 on: September 29, 2017, 03:14:25 am »
Awwww, Shitzu!!!  Should be very phun in the sun, un, sun with minnows nipping

Dang it, I was not yet!