Author Topic: New York Times slams Trump's mocking of handicapped reporter as 'outrageous'  (Read 17595 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: New York Times slams Trump's mocking of handicapped reporter as 'outrageous'
« Reply #100 on: November 27, 2015, 07:15:22 pm »
Only a PUBBIE until after the primary then back to Independent. See most have figured out you and the rest of the "PARTY of STUPID". Whom do you support and why. Bet you will not answer that? :chairbang:
Oh yeah, we hear again from the poster that said he would vote for Hillary.

I don't deny I might be stupid, but I have a remarkable memory and I'm not stupid enough to vote for Hillary like you SAID YOU WOULD.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Can Donald Trump's Mockery of a Disabled Reporter be Defended?
« Reply #101 on: November 28, 2015, 12:13:06 am »
Excellent article.

Can Donald Trump's Mockery of a Disabled Reporter be Defended?

Leon H. Wolf
RedState
November 27, 2015

... Mocking a disabled person for their disability has been universally passé since at least the 1950s, and so some of his supporters have been out on twitter over the last couple of days offering various defenses for Trump's behavior on this video. It is important to note that Trump himself has (as far as I know) offered only this by way of "explanation" for his actions:

Defense 1. Trump didn't know Koveleski was disabled ...

So, to believe that Trump had no idea what Koveleski looked like or the particulars of his disability, you would have to believe a) that the entire written record of their numerous interactions is fabricated, and Koveleski in particular (the very person on whose word Trump is staking his 9/11 claims) is flat out lying b) that he said "the poor guy" when referring to Koveleski because... well, I have no idea what the "because" is even supposed to be on that one and c) Trump was able to pull off an imitation of Koveleski's specific physical deformity purely by chance ...

2. "The Media" mocked Trig Palin for having Down's Syndrome, so they are fair game.

... if Tom Brokaw insulted Dick Cheney, that would not give Rick Santorum free license to punch Jake Tapper in the face.  That's more or less exactly the defense that is being raised by Trump supporters, though.

3. No one is above mockery ...

The problem comes when people are mocked, not for the things they've done, but for the physical conditions over which they have no control ...

Trump has demonstrated time and time again that he simply is not suited for the office either by temperament or by judgment ...
Full article

« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 12:14:20 am by Machiavelli »

Offline musiclady

Re: New York Times slams Trump's mocking of handicapped reporter as 'outrageous'
« Reply #102 on: November 28, 2015, 04:06:13 pm »
e

Tell us what your candidate would do better? :amen:

I've told you multiple times that I don't have a candidate yet, but no candidate in recent memory has ever behaved WORSE than this.

Has anyone who supports Trump yet defended this despicable behavior?  Or are all Trump supporters on this board in favor of mocking handicapped people?  And are Trump supporters now the majority here?

If so, this is not the place for me any more........
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #104 on: November 28, 2015, 04:29:30 pm »
I've told you multiple times that I don't have a candidate yet, but no candidate in recent memory has ever behaved WORSE than this.

Has anyone who supports Trump yet defended this despicable behavior?  Or are all Trump supporters on this board in favor of mocking handicapped people?  And are Trump supporters now the majority here?

Well I am not a Trump supporter and I do find this behavior more than despicable ....having a handicapped grandson this hits home and makes me ill.

...and no the Trump supporters are not the majority here...and I hope you don't leave over this...TBR is and always will be a conservative site
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #105 on: November 28, 2015, 05:38:06 pm »

Its only on the politics thread where it sometimes seems we are overwhelmed by Trump supporters. Based on him still leading in many polls, that does not shock me, but it's only a couple of them that become obnoxious, immature and hard to stomach.  But looking at the calendar, the caucus & primary season is just beyond the horizon, and that is where Trump's metal and lastability will really be tested. Beyond the Tweets, and internet community, and back to reality where  men and women cast their votes, I think Trump's lead will quickly fade, especially if he continues to make dumb sound bites.    When it comes down to it - deep inside we (and I mean conservatives) want our candidate to be "presidential", and I have heard no Trump supporter make the claim that he is.

You hang in their - we need your mature insight and level headedness, which I and many others appreciate.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 05:39:47 pm by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #106 on: November 28, 2015, 05:43:10 pm »
Well I am not a Trump supporter and I do find this behavior more than despicable ....having a handicapped grandson this hits home and makes me ill.

...and no the Trump supporters are not the majority here...and I hope you don't leave over this...TBR is and always will be a conservative site
The thing is the definition of "conservative."

I would contend the beliefs, policies of Reagan, Goldwater and some others were and should still be "conservative."

Others today favor beliefs and policies, which would once have been laughed off the stage, if called "conservative."

I can imagine Trump bullying through the door of Best Buy, pushing others out of the way, bragging he is the greatest, smartest, richest, making fun of kids in wheel chairs that can't get into the brawl.

Then lying through his teeth about it. Contemporary "conservatives" are in the process of losing what may be left of their minds, IMO.

To lose "musiclady" in order to keep "longiron" is a symbol of what is taking place. 

« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 06:35:04 pm by truth_seeker »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #107 on: November 28, 2015, 05:46:42 pm »
Has anyone who supports Trump yet defended this despicable behavior?  Or are all Trump supporters on this board in favor of mocking handicapped people?  And are Trump supporters now the majority here?  If so, this is not the place for me any more........

The primary season is always brutal.  If you need a break, that's understandable.  But don't take your marbles and leave for good.  We're going to need those marbles when it comes time for the ultimate battle against BJ's bride.

As for Trump, he was the first candidate to hit all the issues that have been glaringly ignored and Americans have responded to that.  There is a bond between the man and many voters.  They are unlikely to break that bond and forgo the man because he insulted a member of the media who lied about his previous reporting.  Can Trump cross a line?  Yes.  Will he learn from his mistakes?  Hopefully. 

I also like Cruz.  A lot.  I think his passion truly is the US Constitution.  But if he gets the nod, he will be vilified for everything from his citizenship to his religious affiliations and testimonials.  He may secure the "base", but I don't see many beyond that jumping on his bandwagon.  On this, I would gladly be wrong.

My third choice is Rand Paul.  In every debate he has impressed me as someone who is not only intelligent, but as someone who has thought through the issues--including international affairs.  But I suspect I'm in the minority on this.

The point to of all this is:  This is a rollercoaster.  It never goes smoothly and rarely ends as we thought it would.  So, here's what I'm asking from you, ML:  If Jeb! or Carson or Rubio get the nod--talk me out of taking my marbles and staying home.    ^-^

Offline flowers

« Reply #108 on: November 28, 2015, 06:15:31 pm »

Yes don't go. We need your opinions. I agree with the posters who posted ahead of me to you.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #109 on: November 28, 2015, 06:42:55 pm »

GOOD.

Because Trump is a Democrat, and a repulsive one at that, and I am disgusted that no matter how vulgar or repulsive he becomes, there are some here who will defend him and attack those of us who despise his very bad behavior.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #110 on: November 28, 2015, 06:44:32 pm »
Its only on the politics thread where it sometimes seems we are overwhelmed by Trump supporters. Based on him still leading in many polls, that does not shock me, but it's only a couple of them that become obnoxious, immature and hard to stomach.  But looking at the calendar, the caucus & primary season is just beyond the horizon, and that is where Trump's metal and lastability will really be tested. Beyond the Tweets, and internet community, and back to reality where  men and women cast their votes, I think Trump's lead will quickly fade, especially if he continues to make dumb sound bites.    When it comes down to it - deep inside we (and I mean conservatives) want our candidate to be "presidential", and I have heard no Trump supporter make the claim that he is.

You hang in their - we need your mature insight and level headedness, which I and many others appreciate.

I don't know a single real man or woman in my real life who supports the vulgarity of Progressive Trump.

That's why it disgusts me to see it here.  This has always been a thoughtful, responsible forum, and I pray it stays that way.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #111 on: November 28, 2015, 06:45:16 pm »

I am not going to defend his behavior - though I am certain some will say I am - but what I am going to tell you isn't something any of us who were born back before the 60's would want to hear: this country is not the America you think it is.  THAT country faded away to history some time ago. If being "presidential" or "conservative" or dignified mattered one iota in America today, Obama would not be a two-term president actually gaining power by his audacity and continuing his transformation of America in his second term.  By this time in his presidency, Bush had checked out and was reviled, Obama is still defeating his opposition at every turn with audacity. 

What I am saying is something we all see and may want to reject, but we are foolish to do so.  These outbursts by Trump show how brazen and how careless he is about being proper and correct.  And that is his appeal - these things get him coverage, he cannot be ignored.  At this point in the proceedings that is all that makes any difference. No Republican candidate in a long time has created this kind of buzz and this kind of attention in a long time.  Ask Jeb and Fiorina how being ignored works.  In 2015 America - where blacks can kill each other in huge numbers yet blame it all, quite successfully, on white policemen trying to bring order from inner-city chaos - these kind of verbal offenses are pretty meaningless.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 06:46:25 pm by Scottftlc »
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline musiclady

« Reply #112 on: November 28, 2015, 06:48:25 pm »
Yes don't go. We need your opinions. I agree with the posters who posted ahead of me to you.

Thank you, flowers and truth_seeker.

I don't want to leave, and don't plan on it. 

But if posters like Longiron and his mindless Trumpmania take over, it's a sad, sad day for this rational forum.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #113 on: November 28, 2015, 06:51:43 pm »
I am not going to defend his behavior - though I am certain some will say I am - but what I am going to tell you isn't something any of us who were born back before the 60's would want to hear: this country is not the America you think it is.  THAT country faded away to history some time ago. If being "presidential" or "conservative" or dignified mattered one iota in America today, Obama would not be a two-term president actually gaining power by his audacity and continuing his transformation of America in his second term.  By this time in his presidency, Bush had checked out and was reviled, Obama is still defeating his opposition at every turn with audacity. 

What I am saying is something we all see and may want to reject, but we are foolish to do so.  These outbursts by Trump show how brazen and how careless he is about being proper and correct.  And that is his appeal - these things get him coverage, he cannot be ignored.  At this point in the proceedings that is all that makes any difference. No Republican candidate in a long time has created this kind of buzz and this kind of attention in a long time.  Ask Jeb and Fiorina how being ignored works.  In 2015 America - where blacks can kill each other in huge numbers yet blame it all, quite successfully, on white policemen trying to bring order from inner-city chaos - these kind of verbal offenses are pretty meaningless.

So Trump's appeal is that he is as horrific as Obama.....

And that's supposed to convince a rational conservative exactly how??????

I'm angry at Obama too.  But I'm not foolish enough to want to replace him with someone who behaves like a two year old who hasn't ever been disciplined by his parents.

I don't believe in the emotional response that 'they had their bad guy in office and now we want OUR bad guy in office.'

I find that, if you'll excuse me, insane.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #114 on: November 28, 2015, 06:52:55 pm »

Excellent post!  The days for "Statesmen" are gone, that kind of persona would just get stampeded in the rush.  We're definitely going to need a street fighter to deal with Hillary! and you'd better believe she will be fightin' dirty! 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline flowers

« Reply #115 on: November 28, 2015, 06:54:19 pm »
Thank you, flowers and truth_seeker.

I don't want to leave, and don't plan on it. 

But if posters like Longiron and his mindless Trumpmania take over, it's a sad, sad day for this rational forum.
Good don't leave. I don't agree with you at times, yet enjoy your posts.

Offline flowers

« Reply #116 on: November 28, 2015, 07:01:53 pm »
I don't know a single real man or woman in my real life who supports the vulgarity of Progressive Trump.

That's why it disgusts me to see it here.  This has always been a thoughtful, responsible forum, and I pray it stays that way.
It is not only this forum. I am at a couple of others and see the same thing at those. It is the times we are living in now. Most all of us fear what is happening to our once great country. We are being targeted by this gov, BLM and the NWO types. They want us gone and this country gone too. I think that is why some are so frustrated, we know this may be the last chance if we don't get the WH.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #117 on: November 28, 2015, 07:08:46 pm »
It is not only this forum. I am at a couple of others and see the same thing at those. It is the times we are living in now. Most all of us fear what is happening to our once great country. We are being targeted by this gov, BLM and the NWO types. They want us gone and this country gone too. I think that is why some are so frustrated, we know this may be the last chance if we don't get the WH.

I know it's more widespread than on this forum, but my question is this.....

If we are worried about all those things, then WHY nominate a PROGRESSIVE on the Republican ticket, and an infantile one at that?

It makes NO sense.

(Not directing this at you, but at anyone who actually thinks that a mean little child like Trump is the answer to our frustration...)

Offline musiclady

« Reply #118 on: November 28, 2015, 07:10:08 pm »
Excellent post!  The days for "Statesmen" are gone, that kind of persona would just get stampeded in the rush.  We're definitely going to need a street fighter to deal with Hillary! and you'd better believe she will be fightin' dirty!

Wouldn't it be better to nominate a street fighter if he actually didn't AGREE with Hillary???   **nononono*

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #119 on: November 28, 2015, 07:12:22 pm »
So Trump's appeal is that he is as horrific as Obama.....

And that's supposed to convince a rational conservative exactly how??????

I'm angry at Obama too.  But I'm not foolish enough to want to replace him with someone who behaves like a two year old who hasn't ever been disciplined by his parents.

I don't believe in the emotional response that 'they had their bad guy in office and now we want OUR bad guy in office.'

I find that, if you'll excuse me, insane.

I think you missed my point entirely, and I'm NOT trying to convince you to support someone you don't want to.  I will try to simplify, I know I went all over there, the rational conservative you are looking for is badly defeated - if not in the election by some miracle, then by society and the war against him from the left once he takes office. We are in a civil war right now and the left will open up and utterly destroy a rational conservative.  Just like they destroyed Bush.  You may not like it but one way or another you NEED the bad boy at this point in time - not Obama, but someone as brazen and uncaring as Obama - or you will never get your country back.  You need someone as nasty about righting America as Obama is about destroying it.

...Bob Dylan

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #120 on: November 28, 2015, 07:15:12 pm »
Wouldn't it be better to nominate a street fighter if he actually didn't AGREE with Hillary???   **nononono*

I have yet to find anything of significance that Trump agrees with Hillary on...not taxes, not economic policy, not immigration, not foreign policy.  Is he pro-abortion...I guess he is though I haven't bothered to find out,  as this nation has much worse things staring it in the face.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 07:15:39 pm by Scottftlc »

...Bob Dylan

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #121 on: November 28, 2015, 07:16:15 pm »

You must come to grips and accept that many of your co-conservatives are quite different from you and your associates. Less genteel, so to speak.

But you and I need them, if we are to win. Find things you may have in common.

I don't like it, but I realize I must accept it. Been doing so in fact, ever since I reached political maturity.

Here is a map from the 1968 election, which Nixon won over Humphrey and Wallace. Do you see any similarities with the 5 states Wallace carried, and today's GOP "base."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_1968

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #122 on: November 28, 2015, 07:23:53 pm »
I have yet to find anything of significance that Trump agrees with Hillary on...not taxes, not economic policy, not immigration, not foreign policy.  Is he pro-abortion...I guess he is though I haven't bothered to find out,  as this nation has much worse things staring it in the face.

All of this has been documented and cited in countless threads but read his book 'The America We Deserve' (find a used 2000 edition as he has re-released it a few times). He has shifted his positions faster than John Kerry tells you he served in Vietnam. In that book, he comes across on many issues as not much different than Hillary on most issues. In 2008, he was complaining Mitt Romney's immigration policy was too hard. This wasn't like Reagan's switching from a Democrat as they became more liberal and left him, he held (and who knows what he actually believes) very, very liberal positions on most issues.

Some examples:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/07/09/ths-many-ways-in-which-donald-trump-was-once-a-liberals-liberal/

Abortion

Then: On "Meet The Press" in 1999, Trump said he was "very pro-choice." "I hate the concept of abortion," he said. "I hate it. I hate everything it stands for. ... but I just believe in choice."

------------

Guns

Then: In Trump's 200 book "The America We Deserve," he wrote that he "generally" opposed gun control but supported an assault weapons ban and a longer waiting period to purchase a firearm.

------------

Healthcare

Then: In an interview with Larry King in 1999, Trump said he was "very liberal when it comes to health care" and that he believes in "universal healthcare."

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.  You wonder why many of us don't trust what he says now in the least. It isn't just his words, he not only put his money where those values were, if you look at how he ran his own businesses (ie, his actions), he ran them like a corrupt, cronyistic liberal, not a free market conservative. His actions speak a lot more to his 'then' values linked above being his true belief than what he says now that has no actionable evidence to match to his words.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #123 on: November 28, 2015, 07:30:35 pm »
So you insist on a conservative from birth who has never shifted or changed positions (everything you cite there is from at least 15 years ago)? I know for a fact I personally couldn't pass that test, I'm changing all the time.  I suspect most others couldn't pass that test either.

...Bob Dylan

Offline musiclady

« Reply #124 on: November 28, 2015, 07:44:46 pm »

How about voting for Obama, supporting the stimulus package and Obamacare?  Isn't that enough?