Author Topic: Trump says NATO will not come to rescue if US attacked  (Read 2644 times)

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Trump says NATO will not come to rescue if US attacked
« on: January 29, 2024, 03:57:55 am »

Republican presidential candidate former President Donald Trump has said that he does not believe NATO would come to the United States’ rescue if it came under attack, once again voicing his disdain for the military bloc.

“We’re paying for NATO, and we don’t get so much out of it,” Trump said on Saturday, speaking to a crowd of supporters at a presidential campaign event in Las Vegas, Nevada.

And you know – I hate to tell you this about NATO – if we ever needed their help, let’s say we were attacked, I don’t believe they’d be there. I know the people,” he added.

Trump once again cast doubt on Article 5 of the NATO Charter, which says an armed attack against one member state must be considered an attack against all of them.

https://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2024/01/28/719025/Trump-%E2%80%93-NATO-won%E2%80%99t-defend-US

One thing I'll say about Trump -- he never lets actual facts get in the way of his policies.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 04:00:22 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline roamer_1

Re: Trump says NATO will not come to rescue if US attacked
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2024, 06:52:02 am »

One thing I'll say about Trump -- he never lets actual facts get in the way of his policies.

He has all he can do mumbling around his foot.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2024, 11:37:15 am »

No, he does not

He’s proposing a lot of things that don’t  add up. Like his idea that we could drill enough oil to pay for Social Security.

But he doesn’t need facts. As long as his supporters believe all of this, that’s all that matters
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2024, 05:53:37 pm »
He has all he can do mumbling around his foot.

Maybe we shouldn't nominate a organge tinted person who is close Biden's age.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2024, 05:58:25 pm »
NATO has been doing what Trump asked by increasing their defense budgets and taking on more of the costs of NATO defense.  Trump shouldn't be saying this.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline LMAO

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2024, 06:00:12 pm »

That ship has sailed

What do conservatives do now?
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2024, 06:06:35 pm »
NATO backed US in Afghanistan after 9/11.  Many NATO nations suffered casualties in Afghanistan fighting with the US.

////00000////

NATO nations stayed in Afghanistan, even after Bush '43 stopped looking for Osama bin Laden in 2003.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2024, 06:14:04 pm »
Maybe he is playing 5-dimensional chess, or whatever, but I don't see how this benefits him politically. It just feeds into the narrative that he is a stooge of Putin and reckless in terms of diplomacy. He needs the globalist wing of the GOP to win the general, unless he is goading someone to run third party.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2024, 06:55:59 pm »

Though my convictions might be for different reasons, I can agree here, emphatically.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2024, 07:05:18 pm »
NATO backed US in Afghanistan after 9/11.  Many NATO nations suffered casualties in Afghanistan fighting with the US.

////00000////

NATO nations stayed in Afghanistan, even after Bush '43 stopped looking for Osama bin Laden in 2003.

And when we decided to bail, we left them to fend for themselves without an evacuation base.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2024, 07:24:55 pm »

////00000////

Exactly the point.  Article V, which is the specific article he mentioned, has only been invoked once in NATO's entire history, and only on behalf of one country.  That was when NATO invoked Article V to come to the defense of the U.S. after 9/11.  So when Trump says:

“And you know – I hate to tell you this about NATO – if we ever needed their help, let’s say we were attacked, I don’t believe they’d be there. I know the people,” he added.

He's either lying deliberately, or is an ignorant fool.  And the status/history of our most important military alliance is a VERY big deal.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 07:37:21 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline berdie

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2024, 09:32:48 pm »
Exactly the point.  Article V, which is the specific article he mentioned, has only been invoked once in NATO's entire history, and only on behalf of one country.  That was when NATO invoked Article V to come to the defense of the U.S. after 9/11.  So when Trump says:

He's either lying deliberately, or is an ignorant fool.  And the status/history of our most important military alliance is a VERY big deal.

FWIW...I vote ignorant fool. History is not his strong point.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2024, 09:46:21 pm »

FWIW...I vote ignorant fool. History is not his strong point.

I agree.  What is frightening to contemplate his how much of his other thoughts are based on similar ignorance, which is especially dangerous when coupled with his typical arrogance that he is always correct.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 10:46:33 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2024, 11:25:05 pm »
He's right.
Again.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2024, 12:44:09 am »
He's right.
Again.

Well, there we go. Facts.apparently don't matter to his supporters either.

Biden's foreign policy is horrible, but Trump's is just as bad.  Wrong differently.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 12:52:35 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2024, 01:46:30 am »
That ship has sailed

What do conservatives do now?

??? Well, it's either Trump or Haley. Joy!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2024, 03:03:58 am »
More nonsense.

The only time Article 5 was ever invoked was in response to 9/11, and NATO helped in Afghanistan.  The Brits held down Helmand Province, and there were stories about the Norwegian shouting "Til Valhal" (To Valhalla) when going into battle with the Taliban.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 03:53:47 am by The_Reader_David »
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline corbe

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2024, 03:05:49 am »
Any minute now I’m expecting all hell to break loose
People are crazy and times are strange
If the Bible is right, the world will explode

B. Dylan
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2024, 04:19:50 am »
More nonsense.

The only time Article 5 was ever invoked was in response to 9/11, and NATO helped in Afghanistan.  The Brits held down Helmand Province, and there were stories about the Norwegian shouting "Til Valhal" (To Valhalla) when going into battle with the Taliban.

There's really no way to counter a guy who lies/is so openly ignorant when his supporters don't care.  It's all just "narrative".  They don't like NATO, so they'll just accept any Trump lie about NATO as long as it is negative.  I know there are those who don't like him but are voting for him because they don't want Biden, and I'm not going to criticize them.  I personally just can't do it again.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2024, 12:27:36 pm »
There's really no way to counter a guy who lies/is so openly ignorant when his supporters don't care.  It's all just "narrative".  They don't like NATO, so they'll just accept any Trump lie about NATO as long as it is negative.  I know there are those who don't like him but are voting for him because they don't want Biden, and I'm not going to criticize them.  I personally just can't do it again.

I didn’t vote for him in 2016 but did in 2020. I just can’t vote for him in good conscience this year

I also understand there is a difference between those that are in the vote for him, because they can’t stomach for more years of Biden vs the true MAGA believers.

When it comes to his MAGAs, their ignorance is his greatest asset

« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 12:42:11 pm by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2024, 05:44:46 pm »
I didn’t vote for him in 2016 but did in 2020. I just can’t vote for him in good conscience this year

I'm really concerned about his stance on Russia, Ukraine, and NATO.  I know others disagree, but I believe NATO is an incredibly valuable, stabilizing force in the West.  Trump may well abandon it.   I also think he is actually pro-Putin, mostly because Putin flatters him.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2024, 05:46:11 pm »
I don't think it's a matter of Will, it's a matter of Can. They can barely defend themselves.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2024, 05:48:33 pm »
I don't think it's a matter of Will, it's a matter of Can. They can barely defend themselves.

In an era when special operations forces carry a large part of the burden, smaller militaries can still contribute a lot.  Also, Finland and Sweden were both very significant recent additions.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2024, 05:52:23 pm »
In an era when special operations forces carry a large part of the burden, smaller militaries can still contribute a lot.  Also, Finland and Sweden were both very significant recent additions.

True but I don't see them being able to project power much beyond their borders. Even the big dogs of France, UK and Germany seem about half impotent anymore.

They may send a token force, but it will be up to our military, civilians, and maybe Canada to defend the USA.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2024, 06:15:16 pm »
True but I don't see them being able to project power much beyond their borders. Even the big dogs of France, UK and Germany seem about half impotent anymore.

They may send a token force, but it will be up to our military, civilians, and maybe Canada to defend the USA.

Again, many of them did send troops to Afghanistan, some of which were very active.

Anyway, the point is that for Trump to just insult them as if they lack the honor to fulfill their Article V obligations, and completely ignoring Afghanistan, is inexcusable.