Author Topic: House Republicans to vote on 45-day, clean stopgap funding bill [updated]  (Read 1980 times)

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: House Republicans to vote on 45-day, clean stopgap funding bill [updated]
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2023, 10:23:35 pm »
I think everyone is missing the bigger issue. By getting the CR passed the possibility of forcing the Senate to respond to appropriation bills passed by the House falls to near zero.

That's where it was already.  But not "near" zero.  Actual zero.  As in absolutely no chance at all.  Nor did the Democrat-controlled Senate have any reason to even try.  House Republicans had zero leverage.

Gaetz understood the need of a crisis point to actually negotiate real changes

Gaetz knew the changes he wanted were never going to happen, and that wasn't his motive.  He wanted a crisis just to use to try to sink McCarthy. That's it.

Offline berdie

« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2023, 10:31:59 pm »
That's where it was already.  But not "near" zero.  Actual zero.  As in absolutely no chance at all.  Nor did the Democrat-controlled Senate have any reason to even try.  House Republicans had zero leverage.

Gaetz knew the changes he wanted were never going to happen, and that wasn't his motive.  He wanted a crisis just to use to try to sink McCarthy. That's it.
[/b]

That's how it appears.

Offline bilo

« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2023, 11:01:48 pm »

These are the talking points of Establishment Loyalists.

The pressure shifts in a negotiation based on who is more fearful of losing in the end. In this case all the pressure would have been on the Rat Establishment Loyalists. They represent govt., not citizens. The media and career politicians would have been crying about the govt shut down, but not the citizens, especially as appropriation bills were passed and sent to the Senate. In the end the narrative would be changed to "why aren't you Senators responding to the appropriation bills that the House sent you"?

Gaetz and I believe 89 other Patriots in the Pub party voted against the CR these people could see the big picture.

The Pub party led by Establishment Loyalists don't offer anything different than what we've been seeing from the Rat Establishment Party for decades.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home