Author Topic: House Republicans to vote on 45-day, clean stopgap funding bill [updated]  (Read 2000 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Re: House Republicans to vote on 45-day, clean stopgap funding bill [updated]
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2023, 12:45:57 am »
R A W S A L E R T S
@rawsalerts
·
3m
🚨#BREAKING: The U.S. Senate approves government funding for 45 days, averting shutdown as Speaker McCarthy has made a separate deal with Democrats to continue funding Ukraine

9999hair out0000 9999hair out0000 9999hair out0000
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2023, 12:47:40 am »
"Kevin McCarthy will do a good job, and maybe even a GREAT JOB - JUST WATCH!"

-Donald Trump, Jan 04, 2023, 7:39 AM-

http://truthsocial.com/@realDonaldTrump/posts/109630978268932397
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 12:49:59 am by Hoodat »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2023, 12:47:56 am »
Let's not forget the members here who were backing McCarthy for Speaker at the start of the 2023 session, deriding the Conservatives who opposed him.

:yowsa:
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2023, 12:51:28 am »
Donald sure knows how to pick them.

There’s a long list of only the very best people.  *****rollingeyes*****
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2023, 12:51:52 am »
Catturd ™
@catturd2
·
5m
Kevin McCarthy = Nancy Pelosi.

Mitch McConnell = Chuck Schumer.

They’re all exactly the same.
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2023, 01:07:34 am »
McConnell announces Senate Republicans will defer to House spending bill
Yahoo, Sep 30, 2023, The Hill

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) announced Senate Republicans will vote against advancing the chamber’s bipartisan stopgap spending bill as members see an emerging bill coming from the House as the main way to avoid a government shutdown.

McConnell told reporters that the House bill, which is a 45-day continuing resolution that includes disaster aid funding but no money for Ukraine, is the preferred option of his members, and that they will overwhelmingly vote against cloture in order to focus on that option.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mcconnell-announces-senate-republicans-won-180719979.html

This pointing-up  passed in the Senate

Rand Paul
@RandPaul

When I said I’d do everything I could to stop the US government from being held hostage to Ukraine, I meant it. We cannot continue to put the needs of other countries above our own. We cannot save Ukraine by dooming the U.S. economy. I’m grateful to all Members of Congress who stood with me, but the battle to fund our government isn’t over yet - the forever-war crowd will return.

8:28 PM · Sep 30, 2023

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2023, 01:19:28 am »
Matt Gaetz
@mattgaetz
·
1h
Wow.

@SpeakerMcCarthy
 made a side Ukraine deal with Democrats and didn’t tell House Republicans until after his Continuing Resolution passed.

More deceit.
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2023, 01:36:26 am »
Senate passes funding measure, avoiding shutdown with just hours to spare

Senate passes stopgap measure in 88-9 vote, averting shutdown with three hours to spare
The Senate passed the bill Saturday night with just three hours to spare before a shutdown
 By Andrea Vacchiano , Elizabeth Elkind Fox News

The U.S. Senate approved a stopgap spending measure to avert a government shutdown with just three hours to spare in a Saturday night vote. The final vote was 88-9.

The House passed the short-term spending bill to fund the government for another 45 days Saturday afternoon. The bill, also known as a continuing resolution (CR), passed the House 335 to 91, and caused lawmakers to break out into applause amid the pressure of a shutdown.

Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) set up a roll call shortly after 8 p.m. on Saturday night. The Senate needed 60 yeas to pass the bill.

The fiscal year ends at midnight on Oct. 1. Had the Senate rejected the bill to extend funding past midnight, nonessential government programs would have paused and thousands of federal employees would have been furloughed.

The bill authorizes funding only for another 45 days. The funding includes $16 billion in disaster relief but does not include assistance to Ukraine.

Previous CR proposals from Republicans did not get any support from Democrats, but members of Congress from both parties voted for the stopgap bill Saturday. Speaker of the House Kevin McCarthy said during a presser that the stopgap will give Congress more time to "get their work done."

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/senate-vote-stopgap-funding-bill-passed-house-avert-possible-shutdown
Support the USO

Offline corbe

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2023, 01:44:52 am »
Senators who voted against the measure were Mike Braun (R-IN), Rand Paul (R-KY), Ted Cruz (R-TX), Eric Schmitt (R-MO), JD Vance (R-OH), Roger Marshall (R-KS), Bill Hagerty (R-TN), Mike Lee (R-UT), and Marsha Blackburn (R-TN).
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2023, 02:47:32 am »

https://twitter.com/RepAndyBiggsAZ/status/1708199520935321943

Wow Biggs, you're going go to after McCarthy for "not siding with his own party"??  Hypocrite, much?

Just yesterday, Biggs and 20 of his buddies joined 211 Democrats to defeat a funding bill supported by 198 Republicans.  Apparently, Biggs had absolutely no problem siding with Democrats and against his own party".

But now, though he didn't have a problem voting against 198 Republicans yesterday, he thinks McCarthy is unfit today because he and 125 Republicans voted against Biggs and 90 Republicans.   So if the majority of Republicans voted for the resolution, isn't it Biggs who actually voted against "his own party" both yesterday and today?

« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 02:52:11 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2023, 02:52:59 am »
Senators who voted against the measure were Mike Braun (R-IN), Rand Paul (R-KY), Ted Cruz (R-TX), Eric Schmitt (R-MO), JD Vance (R-OH), Roger Marshall (R-KS), Bill Hagerty (R-TN), Mike Lee (R-UT), and Marsha Blackburn (R-TN).

Nobody likes the taste of a shit sandwich.

Offline corbe

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2023, 02:53:46 am »
   Republicans gotta Republican.  Nothing has changed in this century and before.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2023, 12:11:04 pm »
   Republicans gotta Republican.  Nothing has changed in this century and before.

I just don't get why people are upset the Government isn't shutting down. Guess which party controls the Senate?
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2023, 01:45:06 pm »

I just don't get why people are upset the Government isn't shutting down.

@kevindavis007

Because "I don't care if it stays shut down -- that would be better than what we have now" seems to be the answer. At least that's what I'm hearing.

But ultimately, that's an emotional argument born of frustration rather than a rational one because the government is not going to stay shut down even if you believe that's desirable.  That "starve the government" fantasy isn't going to happen.  And when the shutdown does end, it'll include backpay and spending so it won't save a penny anyway.  That's just reality given that the Dems control the Presidency and Senate, and that the GOP majority in the House is razor-thin and divided.

So the question people should be asking is "what is going to be the end game if there is a temporary shutdown, and what can we do to get the best possible result?"   The problem is that we don't seem able to have that discussion because of all the emotion.  I thought the 30 day CR put together by representatives of the Freedom Caucus and Main Street caucus, with the 8% cuts to everything but defense and veterans, plus a very strong border bill, was a great start.   But the irrational emotionalism of "just shut it down and keep it shut down" won out.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 01:49:15 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2023, 01:53:17 pm »
Rand Paul
@RandPaul
When I said I'd do everything I could to stop the US government from being held hostage to Ukraine, I meant it. We cannot continue to put the needs of other countries above our own. We cannot save Ukraine by dooming the U.S. economy. I'm grateful to all Members of Congress who stood with me, but the battle to fund our government isn't over yet - the forever-war crowd will return.

As an aside, The Forever War by Joe Haldeman (a Vietnam vet himself) is a great piece of science fiction.  Won a ton of awards and is probably the reason that phrase has snuck into our lexicon. Obvious Vietnam parallels, and focuses on what happens to the soldiers themselves in a war that seems to go on forever. 

Don't know if you read that kind of stuff, @sneakypete , but if you do, it would be right up your alley.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 02:46:01 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2023, 02:48:29 pm »
Nancy Pelosi: Shutdown Deal was a ‘Defeat’ for MAGA

Representative Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) said Sunday on CNN’s “State of the Union” that the last-minute deal to avoid a government shutdown was a win for Democrats and a “defeat” for MAGA.

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2023/10/01/nancy-pelosi-shutdown-deal-was-a-defeat-for-maga/
Support the USO

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2023, 02:56:23 pm »
Nancy Pelosi: Shutdown Deal was a ‘Defeat’ for MAGA

Representative Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) said Sunday on CNN’s “State of the Union” that the last-minute deal to avoid a government shutdown was a win for Democrats and a “defeat” for MAGA.

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2023/10/01/nancy-pelosi-shutdown-deal-was-a-defeat-for-maga/

She's right.  But...that's what happens when you vote down the conservative bill.

I'm sure everyone is sick of hearing it, but I'm going to quote Chip Roy again:

“If a Republican opposes a 30-day, 8% cut to the non-defense, non-veteran federal government with the best border security bill we’ve ever had attached to it, I honestly don’t know what to say to my fellow Republicans other than you’re gonna eat a s–t sandwich, and you probably deserve to eat it,” Roy told Fox News Digital on Wednesday.

“I’m an equal opportunity basher of stupid, and I think this is stupid.”

And this bill is the shit sandwich Roy knew would be the consequence of voting down that bill.  Stupid is as stupid does.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2023, 02:58:47 pm »
@kevindavis007

Because "I don't care if it stays shut down -- that would be better than what we have now" seems to be the answer. At least that's what I'm hearing.

But ultimately, that's an emotional argument born of frustration rather than a rational one because the government is not going to stay shut down even if you believe that's desirable.  That "starve the government" fantasy isn't going to happen.  And when the shutdown does end, it'll include backpay and spending so it won't save a penny anyway.  That's just reality given that the Dems control the Presidency and Senate, and that the GOP majority in the House is razor-thin and divided.

So the question people should be asking is "what is going to be the end game if there is a temporary shutdown, and what can we do to get the best possible result?"   The problem is that we don't seem able to have that discussion because of all the emotion.  I thought the 30 day CR put together by representatives of the Freedom Caucus and Main Street caucus, with the 8% cuts to everything but defense and veterans, plus a very strong border bill, was a great start.   But the irrational emotionalism of "just shut it down and keep it shut down" won out.

That is true. I think the House Burn It Down caucus just got neutered big time by doing this stunt.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2023, 03:04:02 pm »

And this bill is the shit sandwich Roy knew would be the consequence of voting down that bill.  Stupid is as stupid does.

He is correct.  Gaetz and his minions screwed up big time. They have to realize that an appetite for a Government shutdown isn't there.  It might be here and on various social media sites but it doesn't represent the true feelings of the American public. They are tired of these theatrics and they want results!

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2023, 04:06:30 pm »

He is correct.  Gaetz and his minions screwed up big time. They have to realize that an appetite for a Government shutdown isn't there.  It might be here and on various social media sites but it doesn't represent the true feelings of the American public. They are tired of these theatrics and they want results!

I don't think Gaetz "screwed up" because I don't think his goal was to get the best possible bill.  He had two goals 1) grandstand as a hardliner, and 2) force McCarthy into a politically untenable position.  He's from a district where that probably plays well for him.

The issue is that there are at least a couple dozen moderate Republicans members of Congress - from districts much less conservative than Gaetz' - who don't have the appetite for a long shutdown unless they can sell it to their mostly-moderate constituency.  We can yell at them, threaten to "primary" them, claim that all it takes is "leadership" to make them change their minds, or even pretend they don't exist, but that's not going to change.  I think that's a reality that a lot of folks just don't want to acknowledge.

So, the trick is to craft the most conservative bill possible that would get the moderates on board.  That's what Roy did.  Once that was rejected by the hardliners, it was inevitable that whatever bill that passed was going to be further to the left because there was nowhere else to go to get a majority for passage.

Offline bilo

« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2023, 10:04:41 pm »
I think everyone is missing the bigger issue. By getting the CR passed the possibility of forcing the Senate to respond to appropriation bills passed by the House falls to near zero. There is no pressure to actually be responsible. As Thanksgiving approaches another CR will be passed and then in January 2024 an Omnibus bill will be passed.

As usual the Pubs, controlled by Establishment Loyalists, sold out the country.

Now ask yourself why turnout will be strong enough to overcome the built in fraud of the Rat establishment Loyalists in 2024. The Pub Establishment Loyalists have proven they don't represent change.

Gaetz understood the need of a crisis point to actually negotiate real changes, but McCarthy and the rest of the Establishment Loyalists can't see past their toes.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home