Author Topic: Esper: Trump Is Not Fit for Office — I’m ‘Willing to Assist Any’ Credible Challenger  (Read 1773 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Esper: Trump Is Not Fit for Office — I’m ‘Willing to Assist Any’ Credible Challenger

Pam Key 20 Jul 2023

Former Secretary of Defense Mark Esper said Thursday on CNN’s “The Source” that he will not support his old boss, former President Donald Trump, for president in 2024 and is willing to assist any credible Republican candidate.

While discussing Trump, anchor Kaitlan Collins asked, “You said you don’t think he’s fit for office. He shouldn’t be back in office. How do you plan to handle the Republican primary? Are you going to endorse another candidate?”

Esper said, “I don’t plan on endorsing anybody. I said that I wouldn’t support Donald Trump. I don’t think that he is fit for office because he puts himself first and I think anyone running for office should put the country first. And they should abide by their oath and do a number of other things. There is a crowd of about 12 or so Republican candidates beyond Trump. I think at least half of them are very credible. Any of those six or so could beat President Biden if they become the nominee.”

He continued, “What I am looking for, and I am willing to assist any one of them, help them, I’m looking for somebody who puts the country first, a person who will abide by their oath, who will advance traditional, Republican policies and objectives and who will bring the Republican Party together and grow the party. You have to win elections, and Donald Trump is not winning elections whether they are House, Senate or White House. That’s that is what Republicans need to do.”

Collins said, “We talked about this many times, but to hear someone who was the Pentagon chief for a now candidate for president saying that you would willingly help his challengers who are running against him just speaks to the moment that we are in.”

more
https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2023/07/20/esper-trump-is-not-fit-for-office-im-willing-to-assist-any-credible-challenger/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Seems like the more closely people work with Trump, the less they like him.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Just another backstabber that's jealous of Trump's wealth and because he can't be rude and orange too!

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Just another backstabber that's jealous of Trump's wealth and because he can't be rude and orange too!

Nail it.  the perfect Trumpers reply!

888high58888
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I can see where the ADHD 360 degree poop cannon minigun can be difficult to work with.
The Republic is lost.

Online DefiantMassRINO

////00000////

Thank God there are people who have the courage to speak up, after they've used working for Trump to raise their media profile and after their book has been published.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

////00000////

Thank God there are people who have the courage to speak up, after they've used working for Trump to raise their media profile and after their book has been published.

There are lots and lots of books critical of Trump.  A book written by a former cabinet member that was very pro-Trump would seem much more likely to tap into a ready audience.  So if that was his motive...why pick a fight that just made him and his book one of many rather than standing out from the crowd?

There also are quite a few of his ex-cabinet people who are highly critical but never wrote a book.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 03:14:46 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online DefiantMassRINO

////00000////

From a book publisher's profits perspective, there's more money to be made by selling more books to individuals who hate Trump.

People who hate Trump buy books.

People who like Trump check-out books from the library.

Plus, many book publishers are subsidiaries of large corporate media conglomerates that are run out of New York City, Washington DC, and Los Angeles, where Trump Derangement Syndrome is rampant.  Again, another reason to break up corporate media.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Most especially members of the military-industral complex Sanhedrin.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 07:42:28 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 08:04:42 pm by GtHawk »

Offline Kamaji

Whatever else Esper may or may not be, he is correct that Trump is not fit for office.

Online mountaineer

I don’t think that he is fit for office because he puts himself first and I think anyone running for office should put the country first.
Regardless of whether or not Trump is fit for office, this guy acts like he's never met a politician.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Whatever else Esper may or may not be, he is correct that Trump is not fit for office.

No he's not.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online LMAO

Yup

Especially the way he handled his loss in 2020 and the events of Jan 6th. I think Jan 6th caused irreversible damage to Trump outside the MAGA base. That's why the charge of "election denialism" hurts the GOP more than the Democrats. Did Hillary Clinton tweet out to her supporters about a big rally in DC to protest her election loss in 2016 and tell the it will "be wild?"

And, before the MAGA base types a defensive posts, they really need to think long and hard and ask themselves what their reaction would be if, all else being the same,  it was Hillary Clinton behaving in this manner? I doubt there would be the excuse making they do for Trump
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Yup

Especially the way he handled his loss in 2020 and the events of Jan 6th. I think Jan 6th caused irreversible damage to Trump outside the MAGA base. That's why the charge of "election denialism" hurts the GOP more than the Democrats. Did Hillary Clinton tweet out to her supporters about a big rally in DC to protest her election loss in 2016 and tell the it will "be wild?"

And, before the MAGA base types a defensive posts, they really need to think long and hard and ask themselves what their reaction would be if, all else being the same,  it was Hillary Clinton behaving in this manner? I doubt there would be the excuse making they do for Trump

Steal something from me, I'm going to be a bit indignant, too.

Refuse to look at the evidence of that theft (not one of all those summarily dismissed cases involved discovery), I'm gonna be even more pissed.

(Hillary didn't act that way because her steal didn't go through, and even though she accused Trump of colluding with Russians, launching a years long investigation into Trump based on bullshit, she kept her mouth shut about theft, because her 'fix' didn't take. The Democrats reengineered that for the next go-round, and made the steal stick.)

Tell me, what would you think is the appropriate response to the theft of an election?

To the courts, up to and including SCOTUS to failing to even discuss the issue and look at evidence?

As for 1/6, Trump gave a speech. He never said to go into the building. That was Ray Epps, the fed who "orchestrated this thing" (his tweet).

That event left the counting of ballots missing one phase: that of entering concerns over ballots from states in dispute or question, namely the 'battleground' states that all stopped counting and all swung hard for Biden suddenly in the morning. Without going into the mechanics, the roughly total 200,000 ballots found in those states moved their electoral votes into the Biden column, despite there often being more votes than voters.

The whole 1/6 riot was enabled by lack of security (Pelosi is at the bottom of that, McConnell, too) and while bolstered by cherry picked video, at least one of the main actors in that remains free as a bird, despite the video of him exhorting people to act illegally and bragging about it.

What's next? Did Trump jaywalk as a kid? I
m sure they'll find something to blame him for. After millions of dollars, unprecedented raids, rounding up underlings to squeeze them for evidence or testimony, the witch-hunt goes on.

You can't tell me Hillary wasn't behind a bunch of that lawfare, either.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 12:27:21 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
I agree.  Trump is not fit for office.

Time for Trump and his supporters to move on if they want to save this country. 
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my county to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Online LMAO

she kept her mouth shut about theft,

Wrong

"You can run the best campaign, you can even become the nominee, and you can have the election stolen from you," she said to cheers on the Los Angeles stop of her "Evening with the Clintons" tour with her husband, former President Bill Clinton.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

I agree.  Trump is not fit for office.

Trump is 100% fit for office @Wingnut  You can rest easy.

Time for Trump and his supporters to move on if they want to save this country.

I ask out of curiosity only:  Are you not aware you represent the wide and deep minority in this primary ---- so if anyone should be moving on to save this country it is DeSantis and his supporters?

@libertybele

Offline roamer_1

I ask out of curiosity only:  Are you not aware you represent the wide and deep minority in this primary ---- so if anyone should be moving on to save this country it is DeSantis and his supporters?

@libertybele

Might does not make right. What you're standing upon is sand.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Tell me, what would you think is the appropriate response to the theft of an election?

Hire the best lawyers you can, file as many well-grounded legal actions as you can, and complain publicly.  If you fail to overturn the election in the state of federal courts, then accept the result but commit to focusing like a laser on fixing as many of the issues as you can so it doesn't happen again.

As for 1/6, Trump gave a speech. He never said to go into the building.

That's missing a whole lot of context.

Trump had spend nearly two months telling everyone the election had been stolen, a lot of his supporters were very pissed, and he knew it.  He also told them that the last real chance to stop it was going to be on January 6 when Congress and the VP were going to open and tally the electoral collect ballots, and declare the winner of the election.   And he said that only hope left was for Pence to refuse to count the ballots, and to return them to the states.  So what does Trump do?

He decides to have a "Stop the Steal" rally in Washington D.C. itself, on that very day, a bit over an hour before the ballots are supposed to be counted.   He anticipates tens of thousands (at least) of his most fervent supporters will be present.  And then, they'll march to the Capitol itself. Well hell, if Trump has lost his legal challenges, and Pence already has issued a public statement the day before stating that he does not believe he has the right to stop the counting of the electoral college certificates...exactly how was anyone going to "Stop the Steal"?  Hmmm....

So he gives this fiery, hour-plus speech telling everyone assembled how the election has been stolen in a million different way, that their only hope is for Pence (who is less than a mile away in the Capitol) to stop the count.  And one of the last things he tells the his supporters is "And we fight. We fight like hell. And if you don't fight like hell, you're not going to have a country anymore."  Gee, such a shock that there was a riot...

Oh, and when later, Trump is sitting in the White House watching the riot, more than an hour after barricades have been breached, lots of injuries have been reported, etc., and after Congress has to evacuate the Chamber because of the riot, he sends out a tweet.  Is it calling for peace and non-violence?  No.  Instead he says:

“Mike Pence didn’t have the courage to do what should have been done to protect our Country and our Constitution, giving States a chance to certify a corrected set of facts, not the fraudulent or inaccurate ones which they were asked to previously certify. USA demands the truth!”

So honest question here.  What do you think Trump was trying to accomplish on January 6 by having that rally so close to the Capitol, shortly before the official counting was scheduled to begin?  What was the point?

The Democrats "selected not elected" mantra after the 2000 election sucked.  The claims after the 2016 election that Trump was "illegitimate" sucked as well.  But neither Gore nor Hillary scheduled a mass rally of hard-core lefties for the day of the counting of the electoral college certificates, and then a march to the Capitol itself while the counting was going on.

Now, I personally think that if Trump had won in 2020, what the left would have done on January 6, 2021 might have been a lot worse than what actually happened.  But that would have been massively wrong as well, and we'd have rightly called them out for it.  Trump deliberately created a tinderbox, which I think was still protected by the First Amendment because he didn't throw the final match.  But it was still irresponsible as hell. 

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Might does not make right. What you're standing upon is sand.

Moving over to give this country to Trump doesn't save it.  It just sends it down a slightly different path into ruin.

Online LMAO

Hire the best lawyers you can, file as many well-grounded legal actions as you can, and complain publicly.  If you fail to overturn the election in the state of federal courts, then accept the result but commit to focusing like a laser on fixing as many of the issues as you can so it doesn't happen again.

That's missing a whole lot of context.

Trump had spend nearly two months telling everyone the election had been stolen, a lot of his supporters were very pissed, and he knew it.  He also told them that the last real chance to stop it was going to be on January 6 when Congress and the VP were going to open and tally the electoral collect ballots, and declare the winner of the election.   And he said that only hope left was for Pence to refuse to count the ballots, and to return them to the states.  So what does Trump do?

He decides to have a "Stop the Steal" rally in Washington D.C. itself, on that very day, a bit over an hour before the ballots are supposed to be counted.   He anticipates tens of thousands (at least) of his most fervent supporters will be present.  And then, they'll march to the Capitol itself. Well hell, if Trump has lost his legal challenges, and Pence already has issued a public statement the day before stating that he does not believe he has the right to stop the counting of the electoral college certificates...exactly how was anyone going to "Stop the Steal"?  Hmmm....

So he gives this fiery, hour-plus speech telling everyone assembled how the election has been stolen in a million different way, that their only hope is for Pence (who is less than a mile away in the Capitol) to stop the count.  And one of the last things he tells the his supporters is "And we fight. We fight like hell. And if you don't fight like hell, you're not going to have a country anymore."  Gee, such a shock that there was a riot...

Oh, and when later, Trump is sitting in the White House watching the riot, more than an hour after barricades have been breached, lots of injuries have been reported, etc., and after Congress has to evacuate the Chamber because of the riot, he sends out a tweet.  Is it calling for peace and non-violence?  No.  Instead he says:

So honest question here.  What do you think Trump was trying to accomplish on January 6 by having that rally so close to the Capitol, shortly before the official counting was scheduled to begin?  What was the point?

The Democrats "selected not elected" mantra after the 2000 election sucked.  The claims after the 2016 election that Trump was "illegitimate" sucked as well.  But neither Gore nor Hillary scheduled a mass rally of hard-core lefties for the day of the counting of the electoral college certificates, and then a march to the Capitol itself while the counting was going on.

Now, I personally think that if Trump had won in 2020, what the left would have done on January 6, 2021 might have been a lot worse than what actually happened.  But that would have been massively wrong as well, and we'd have rightly called them out for it.  Trump deliberately created a tinderbox, which I think was still protected by the First Amendment because he didn't throw the final match.  But it was still irresponsible as hell.

And the bolded part is why the charge of “election denial”  is more damaging to the GOP than Democrats. Why do you think a few weeks before the midterms of 2022,  Joe Biden came out and gave that MAGA Republican” speech? You can bet that was focus group tested.

Had January 6 not happen, but MAGA Republicans still claimed  the 2020 election was stolen, I think the general electorate would have been more forgiving in the 2022 midterms

The events of January 6 are going to be a stain on the republican party for a long time, unfortunately

Barry Goldwater

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

And the bolded part is why the charge of “election denial”  is more damaging to the GOP than Democrats. Why do you think a few weeks before the midterms of 2022,  Joe Biden came out and gave that MAGA Republican” speech? You can bet that was focus group tested.

Had January 6 not happen, but MAGA Republicans still claimed  the 2020 election was stolen, I think the general electorate would have been more forgiving in the 2022 midterms

The events of January 6 are going to be a stain on the republican party for a long time, unfortunately

Yup.  Trump handed the Democrats a great campaign issue that they used to good effect in 2022 and will use again in 2024.  The GOP won't be able to distance itself from that riot until Trump is no longer in the picture.