Author Topic: Senate negotiators finalize gun safety bill  (Read 1847 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Senate negotiators finalize gun safety bill
« on: June 21, 2022, 09:08:00 pm »
 Senate negotiators finalize gun safety bill
by Alexander Bolton - 06/21/22 4:56 PM ET

Senate negotiators on Tuesday afternoon said they have finalized a bipartisan gun safety bill to take firearms away from dangerous people and provide billions of dollars in new mental health funding. 

Senators and staff worked through the weekend and said Tuesday afternoon they’re at the finish line, giving Senate Majority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) a good chance of scheduling a vote before the July 4 recess. 

“We have an agreement and the text will be coming out very shortly,” Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) told reporters as he headed to the floor to preside over the chamber. 

Murphy, one of the lead negotiators on the package, said all the outstanding issues have been resolved and all that’s left to do is scrub the final language.

The legislative text is expected to be made public sometime Tuesday afternoon or evening. 

“We’re working on getting the text out soon,” Murphy said. “We’ve reached agreement. We’re dotting the i’s and crossing the t’s. There are always some drafting questions that come up at the last minute but we were able to get agreement on the broad issues.”

Negotiators broke through a stalemate over language to close the so-called boyfriend loophole, which bogged down the talks last week. 

Current law prohibits individuals from purchasing guns if they are convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence against someone they have been married to, lived with, or had a child with. Closing the loophole would apply that law to other romantic or intimate partners. 

Lawmakers squabbled last week about whether intimate or romantic partners deprived of their gun rights should be able to regain them at a later date, as well as whether to set up a restitution process for spouses, ex-spouses, co-habitants, and partners who share children. 

A source familiar said the lawmakers had agreed to restore gun rights for some intimate partners convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence charges if they met certain conditions. 

Negotiators were racing to finalize the legislative text of a bipartisan framework they unveiled earlier this month, hoping to get the bill done as quickly as possible amid signs of growing Republican opposition. 

Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas), the chief Republican negotiator on the bill, got booed at the Texas Republican Convention Friday when he tried to explain his efforts to fend off Democratic calls for an assault weapons ban and universal background checks. 

But even the modest proposal to give money to states to administer red flag laws and other emergency intervention procedures is drawing strong criticism from some prominent conservatives, including Fox News host Tucker Carlson. 

“Red flag laws will not end mass shootings, but red flag laws will end due process,” Carlson warned on Fox. “Under red flag laws, the government doesn’t have to prove you did anything wrong in order to strip you of your most basic rights. All that’s required to punish you is a complaint.”

Erick Erickson, a conservative radio host and pundit, warned this month “that such laws are going to start being used to attack people because of their political opinions.” 

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3531715-senate-negotiators-finalize-gun-safety-bill/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Senate negotiators finalize gun safety bill
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 09:22:13 pm »
If I can't read it, I am against it.

No pigs in pokes.

Hell, I'm against anything but a repeal of gun control laws, anyway.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022, 10:09:45 pm »
If I can't read it, I am against it.

No pigs in pokes.

Hell, I'm against anything but a repeal of gun control laws, anyway.

:yowsa:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Killer Clouds

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 10:11:19 pm »
Red Flag laws are blatantly unconstitutional. The NRA isn't doing anything to fight this in states where they do exist. The NRA is losing members to other pro 2A organizations for good reason.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2022, 10:18:27 pm »
Red Flag laws are blatantly unconstitutional. The NRA isn't doing anything to fight this in states where they do exist. The NRA is losing members to other pro 2A organizations for good reason.

Red flags laws were signed into law here in FL by Rick Scott when he was governor. That's at the state level and I believe the constituionality would have to be challenged at the state level first. Scott is making some noise with his plans for America and I think making a push for Speaker, but he's a RINO. 

The NRA and other pro-gun groups have their hands full just trying to stay afloat with all the shootings being reported. 

SCOTUS is due to rule on the 2A pretty soon I believe in a NY case.  That is going to be huge and will indicate which direction they truly lean.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 10:24:06 pm by libertybele »

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline bilo

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2022, 12:15:47 am »
Why vote for Pubs when they won't even fight for due process.

The red flag laws are civil. The individual denied due process has to hire an attorney at his own expense and the level of proof for the accusation to be considered true is much lower.

As we all know ex-girlfriends never lie. /s
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2022, 12:31:50 am »
 What’s in the Senate’s 80-page bipartisan gun safety bill
by Alexander Bolton - 06/21/22 7:43 PM ET

Senate negotiators unveiled an 80-page bill Tuesday evening responding to the mass shootings at the Topps supermarket in Buffalo, N.Y., and the Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, capping weeks of intense negotiations. 

Sen. Chris Murphy (Conn.), the lead Democratic negotiator, is hailing the bill as the biggest breakthrough on the issue of gun violence in 30 years and predicted Tuesday it would save lives. 

Sen. John Cornyn (Texas), the head Republican in the talks, says the legislation will take guns out of the hands of people who are dangerous or break the law but won’t affect the gun rights of law-abiding citizens. 

Here’s what’s inside the package:

Enhanced background checks for people 18 to 21

The legislation would enhance background check requirements for buyers younger than 21 who have juvenile criminal records. 

It would keep in place current law requiring the completion of a background check investigation for people between the ages of 18 and 21 within three days but would also require the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) to check state records to identify individuals with juvenile records that would disqualify them from purchasing firearms. 

But the enhanced background check requirements for buyers between 18 and 21 years old would expire on Sept. 30, 2032, requiring a future Congress to pass new legislation to extend it. 

Both the Uvalde and Buffalo shooters were teenagers.

Money for red flag laws and other intervention programs

The bill would expand the Byrne JAG law enforcement grant program to allow states to use federal funding to implement crisis intervention court programs to reduce gun violence. States would have the flexibility to use the money to administer red flag laws to take guns away from people deemed dangerous to themselves or others. 

The money could also be used for mental health courts, drug courts, veterans courts and assisted outpatient treatment courts. 

It would set up due process protections for intervention programs. 

Cornyn explained on the floor Tuesday that if a state red flag law doesn’t include due process protections, it will not be eligible for grants. 

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3532042-whats-in-the-senates-80-page-bipartisan-gun-safety-bill/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2022, 12:46:22 am »
Here are the RINO GOP Senators who just voted to advance the gun control deal that includes funding for red flag laws:

Blunt
Burr
Portman
Toomey
Cornyn
Tillis
Cassidy
Collins
Graham
Romney
Murkowski
Capito
Ernst
McConnell

Young --  X Strategies LLC (@XStrategiesLLC) June 22, 2022

« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 01:07:33 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2022, 12:48:10 am »
Here are the RINO GOP Senators who just voted to advance the gun control deal that includes funding for red flag laws:

Blunt
Burr
Portman
Toomey
Cornyn
Tillis
Cassidy
Collins
Graham
Romney
Murkowski
Capito
Ernst
McConnell
Young—

X Strategies LLC (@XStrategiesLLC) June 22, 2022

Thanks for the info -- the usual azzholes!

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2022, 12:55:14 am »

NRA
@NRA

🚨BREAKING: NRA Announces Opposition to Senate Gun Control Legislation

"This legislation can be abused to restrict lawful gun purchases, infringe upon the rights of law-abiding Americans, & use fed dollars to fund gun control measures being adopted by state & local politicians."

6:47 PM · Jun 21, 2022  Twitter Web App

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2022, 01:25:26 am »
Let's see, my Senator Cornyn is taking my money sent to DC then turning around and saying he will return a small portion of it if we go along with him.

What is wrong with this picture?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2022, 01:33:43 am »
Anything that took them 80 pages to write up is too much.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2022, 01:47:24 am »
RinVa wrote:
"Here are the RINO GOP Senators who just voted to advance the gun control deal that includes funding for red flag laws"

More than 10 "Republicans" on that list.

What this tells me is that a filibuster isn't going to work on this.

In other words, it's a done deal.

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2022, 01:51:37 am »
"Tucker torches traitors like Cornyn & McConnell for selling out the GOP base"  (Video)

https://mobile.twitter.com/bennyjohnson/status/1539416239797313537

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2022, 01:57:18 am »
Greg Price
@greg_price11

GOP voters in Texas better put the fear of God into @JohnCornyn if it's true that he follows up his red flag law monstrosity by working with Democrats on amnesty, giving citizenship to people who will ensure Republicans never win an election again.

9:15 PM · Jun 21, 2022·Twitter Web App

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2022, 02:34:21 am »
Kari Lake for AZ Governor
@KariLake

When I’m Governor, Arizona will not recognize unconstitutional Gun Laws in our state. We just won’t do it.

What are the Feds going to do? Fly down here and arrest a sitting Governor? Call my bluff.

10:08 PM · Jun 21, 2022·Twitter for iPhone

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2022, 03:28:21 am »
There has been an abundant amount of false accusations by domestic partners over the years.  This looks like a back door way to allow radicals to take away Conservatives gun rights by just making false accusations.  You right to have a gun in your possion could be mighty tenuous under these games being made up.  Expect democrats proclaiming they never intended such abuse of power, regardless of they really did.
Fortunately we have Joe Biden in office who is so much better than Trump, eh?
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline Killer Clouds

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2022, 04:09:07 am »
NRA
@NRA

🚨BREAKING: NRA Announces Opposition to Senate Gun Control Legislation

"This legislation can be abused to restrict lawful gun purchases, infringe upon the rights of law-abiding Americans, & use fed dollars to fund gun control measures being adopted by state & local politicians."

6:47 PM · Jun 21, 2022  Twitter Web App
And that's as far as anything will go. They wrote a letter.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2022, 04:41:10 am »
Greg Price
@greg_price11

GOP voters in Texas better put the fear of God into @JohnCornyn if it's true that he follows up his red flag law monstrosity by working with Democrats on amnesty, giving citizenship to people who will ensure Republicans never win an election again.

9:15 PM · Jun 21, 2022·Twitter Web App

Cornyn will be facing the mother of all primaries come his next election.  Sadly, that won't be until 2026.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2022, 04:53:58 am »
@KariLake

When I’m Governor, Arizona will not recognize unconstitutional Gun Laws in our state. We just won’t do it.

What are the Feds going to do? Fly down here and arrest a sitting Governor? Call my bluff.

The Rocky Mountain States will do much the same. In fact I think both MT and ID have already declared likewise a while ago.

Offline mrclose

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2022, 08:32:45 am »
First: On June 28, 2010, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled (5–4) that the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which guarantees the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, applies to state and local governments as well as to the federal government.

McDonald v. City of Chicago

Second: May 17th, 2021

For the first time in 13 years, the Court upheld both privacy and gun rights, this time unanimously. 

Caniglia v. Strom’s 9-0 decision has the potential to create lasting effects and set precedent as powerful as was DC v. Heller in 2008.
(Full explanation at link) 

The reaffirmation of both privacy and Second Amendment rights should give pause to advocates of red flag laws.

Posing as defenders of public safety, red flag laws bypass the Second and Fourth Amendments while simultaneously abolishing due process.

If Caniglia v. Strom teaches us anything, it is that the government cannot justify itself around the Fourth Amendment to invade private residences based on fear or gut feeling. 

https://libertas.org/personal-freedom/supreme-court-ruling-delegitimizes-red-flag-laws/
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2022, 11:30:17 am »
And another $100,000,000 to the FBI.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2022, 12:12:22 pm »
Catturd ™
@catturd2

Lying scumbag says what?

7:32 AM · Jun 22, 2022  Twitter Web App

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2022, 12:20:59 pm »
@KariLake

Nullification.  I like it.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2022, 12:23:55 pm »
Cornyn will be facing the mother of all primaries come his next election.  Sadly, that won't be until 2026.
We need Texans who represent Texans to lead us.

Going to DC and smelling the aura of applause by the leftists there made Cornyn a true DC creature like McCain.

It is a good enough reason for me for our state to leave this nation as DC critters do not represent us.