Author Topic: Trump Goes After Rand Paul and Misses the Mark by a Mile  (Read 1114 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump Goes After Rand Paul and Misses the Mark by a Mile
« on: August 05, 2021, 07:10:19 pm »
Trump Goes After Rand Paul and Misses the Mark by a Mile
By Bonchie | Aug 05, 2021 1:15 PM ET

Maybe we need a “good Trump, bad Trump” theme remix because this latest statement by the former president is definitively the latter. And it’s not because of any shallow concerns about decorum, but because of the content itself. For some reason, Trump decided it’d be a good idea, in the midst of half a dozen major issues that need addressing (including an unconstitutional order from Biden), to instead set his sites on…Rand Paul?

Apparently, he thinks an apology is owed from Paul for not endorsing the same candidate in an Ohio special election primary. That led to this release which includes several shots at the Kentucky senator.

https://twitter.com/Politics1com/status/1423307915864076288

Look, I don’t typically mind when Trump goes after people, including some Republicans, and you aren’t going to find me clutching my pearls over whether this is “presidential” or not. I find the guy to be a mix of intentional and unintentional hilarity most of the time. But there are two major problems with this.

more
https://redstate.com/bonchie/2021/08/05/trump-goes-after-rand-paul-and-misses-the-mark-by-a-mile-n421745
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline goatprairie

Re: Trump Goes After Rand Paul and Misses the Mark by a Mile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 07:25:46 pm »
Why did Trump go after Paul? Occam's Razor: because he's an insufferable jerk who demands 100% loyalty (i.e. a**-kissing) but reserves the right to stab somebody in the back if he feels like it.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 07:46:56 pm »
Trump-endorsed candidate Susan Wright was defeated by Jake Ellzey in the special election in the 6th district of TX late in July, threatening Trump's new "Kingmaker" brand in the R party.  So when his endorsed candidate won in the 15th district of OH special election, he had to perform a ritual victory dance over anyone who had endorsed any other candidate to re-assert that new "Kingmaker" brand identity.

It wasn't personal against Ron Paul, but it was yet another demonstration that Trump will place his own interests ahead of any other political consideration regardless of how little he will gain or how much the R party will lose.
James 1:20

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2021, 08:01:50 pm »
Why did Trump go after Paul? Occam's Razor: because he's an insufferable jerk who demands 100% loyalty (i.e. a**-kissing) but reserves the right to stab somebody in the back if he feels like it.

It's a glaring character flaw, for sure.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2021, 08:06:48 pm »
Trump-endorsed candidate Susan Wright was defeated by Jake Ellzey in the special election in the 6th district of TX late in July, threatening Trump's new "Kingmaker" brand in the R party.  So when his endorsed candidate won in the 15th district of OH special election, he had to perform a ritual victory dance over anyone who had endorsed any other candidate to re-assert that new "Kingmaker" brand identity.

It wasn't personal against Ron Paul, but it was yet another demonstration that Trump will place his own interests ahead of any other political consideration regardless of how little he will gain or how much the R party will lose.

IMO Rand was the wrong person to go after. Trump is being petty. Rand is a sitting Senator, Trump is an ex-president.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline berdie

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2021, 08:56:09 pm »
I like Trump's policies...for the most part. But his judgement and mouth give me pause.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2021, 09:05:25 pm »
I like Trump's policies...for the most part. But his judgement and mouth give me pause.

He's made some serious mistakes, and his mouth has angered some people. On the flip side, his mouth and his ability to connect with people is what has made his so popular.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2021, 09:06:36 pm »

Disagree.  Rand Paul was a RINO.  Then Paul got attacked by ANTIFA/BLM and his democrat neighbor.  I thought, it brought Paul to his senses.  I guess not.  BTW...that "AD" is lying.  That is all I have to say about that.  TDS.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2021, 09:08:54 pm »
Disagree.  Rand Paul was a RINO.  Then Paul got attacked by ANTIFA/BLM and his democrat neighbor.  I thought, it brought Paul to his senses.  I guess not.  BTW...that "AD" is lying.  That is all I have to say about that.  TDS.

Wow. Check it in a the door ... beating someone to bring them to their point of view???   :facepalm2:

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2021, 09:12:39 pm »
IMO Rand was the wrong person to go after. Trump is being petty. Rand is a sitting Senator, Trump is an ex-president.
He is, and has always been, his own worse enemy.  He is like Cory Bush, a blow hard and a loudmouth agitator.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2021, 09:12:47 pm »

Agree.  There was nothing gained for anyone.  This is the same garbage that plagued Trump all during his tenure.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2021, 09:14:42 pm »

Everyone knows your defintion is of a RINO is anyone in the GOP who disagrees with Trump.  I think you even called Cruz a RINO once.  Didn't you?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2021, 09:17:10 pm »
Everyone knows your defintion is of a RINO is anyone in the GOP who disagrees with Trump.  I think you even called Cruz a RINO once.  Didn't you?

Don't forget her favorite reason anyone dares defame her Orange Jesus...Envy. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2021, 09:17:31 pm »
I read the big letters and thought 'how stupid & childish'. Then I read the small print, what was actually said, and thought 'unnecessary but no big deal'.

BTW does anyone know anything about the candidates of the race in question? Or is this all about style again?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 09:25:22 pm by skeeter »

Offline berdie

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2021, 09:19:19 pm »
He's made some serious mistakes, and his mouth has angered some people. On the flip side, his mouth and his ability to connect with people is what has made his so popular.

Maybe so, but sometimes you gotta know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em.  The times I liked Trump best was when he was presidenting and quiet over perceived  personal insults. Of course, I understand many people like his hubris. Would I vote for him again? Of course. But I really hope he doesn't run again.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 09:22:33 pm by berdie »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2021, 09:30:11 pm »
I read the big letters and thought 'how stupid & childish'. Then I read the small print, what was actually said, and thought 'unnecessary but no big deal'.

BTW does anyone know anything about the candidates of the race in question? Or is this all about style again?
Funny thing about that. I took it as Trump berating Paul for spending a million plus on a candidate that Trump did not endorse and lost. It smacks of egoism in a way, but also points out that Trump is still a power in the Party whether the GOP likes it or not.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline skeeter

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2021, 09:38:15 pm »
Funny thing about that. I took it as Trump berating Paul for spending a million plus on a candidate that Trump did not endorse and lost. It smacks of egoism in a way, but also points out that Trump is still a power in the Party whether the GOP likes it or not.
Its completely understandable why Trump would want to make the point he did. Like it or not he's still in charge & the party needs to stop working against itself.

People don't like his style, I get that. I really don't either.

But I sure like the results when it works.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 09:39:17 pm by skeeter »

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2021, 09:42:57 pm »
Its completely understandable why Trump would want to make the point he did. Like it or not he's still in charge & the party needs to stop working against itself.

People don't like his style, I get that. I really don't either.

But I sure like the results when it works.

As you say, the party needs to stop working against itself; I submit this applies to Trump as well as the other Rs.  I like the results when Trump's style works against the Ds.  Against an R like Paul or Cruz, not so much.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2021, 09:45:12 pm »
As you say, the party needs to stop working against itself; I submit this applies to Trump as well as the other Rs.  I like the results when Trump's style works against the Ds.  Against an R like Paul or Cruz, not so much.
I'd be better able to judge if I knew more about the candidates involved. Is there a good reason other than a pi$$ing contest for backing the guy Trump did?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline skeeter

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2021, 09:48:17 pm »
An argument can be made, all politicians' egos aside, that in this case what he is encouraging in Paul will work against the rats.

As I asked earlier, does anyone know anything about the candidates in question?

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2021, 10:02:37 pm »
An argument can be made, all politicians' egos aside, that in this case what he is encouraging in Paul will work against the rats.

As I asked earlier, does anyone know anything about the candidates in question?

Your question is very reasonable.  Certainly if Paul endorsed a rabid anti-Trumper one could understand Trump's reaction to the outcome.  Paul endorsed a guy named Ron Hood : https://www.ronhood.com/.  He advocates Trump's themes and ideas on this website and says nothing negative about Trump that I can see.  Whether he might have made anti-Trump remarks in other times and places, I don't know.  It looks like Paul was his only significant endorsement.  Trump endorsed Mike Carey, as did Elise Stefanik of the House R Conference.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2021, 10:06:08 pm »
Just digging, but here goes: from https://ohiohouse.gov/members/c-allison-russo/news/reps-russo-liston-issue-statements-after-governor-signs-bill-that-will-prohibit-schools-from-requiring-covid-19-vaccinations-106927Russo commented on De Wine signing a bill which would prohibit requiring non FDA treatments to attend schools or Universities
“This bill puts political self-interests ahead of good public health policy,” said Rep. Russo. “With the arrival of the delta variant, this country is still in the midst of a dangerous pandemic and unvaccinated individuals are at highest risk.  Public schools and universities deserve to have the flexibility to either require COVID-19 vaccines or establish mitigation procedures they deem appropriate for the circumstances in their communities.  Instead, this bill further undermines trust in science and a vaccine that has saved the lives of thousands of Ohioans.”
From her campaign webpage:
In 2018, tired of the dysfunction and gridlock gripping the Ohio legislature, Allison ran for State Representative and won in a district long-held by the GOP. Allison got to work on day one in the Ohio General Assembly: taking on corruption, advocating for children and families, and fighting for increased access to healthcare. Now, she’s running in the special election for Ohio’s 15th Congressional District with a proven track record of winning tough battles, championing working families, and delivering for her constituents.
https://allisonrusso.com/about-allison/

Hmmmm.

Carey's website https://careyforcongress.com/meet-mike/describes him thus:
Mike Carey is a conservative outsider who has spent his career holding politicians accountable and fighting for working class families.

> snip<
From starting his own hay bailing business as a kid, to following his family tradition by serving as an officer in the Army National Guard, to his 20+ year career as an executive in the American energy industry, Mike has always stood for American values and American jobs.

> snip<

He knows that America first policies – lowering taxes, cutting red tape, demanding fair trade deals, and investing in our military and first responders – worked and led to the greatest economy of our lifetimes.
He is also described as a "coal industry lobbyist"

It seems pretty obvious to me who would align with MAGA better.

Edited to add: I think this is the election being talked about: https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/2021/08/03/ohio-15th-congressional-district-mike-carey-wins-low-turnout-race/5405106001/

If I'm wrong, please let me know.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 10:09:10 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline skeeter

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2021, 10:30:25 pm »
Paul has always had a bit of a defiant streak, as his endorsement of the other candidate after Trump had already gone public with his own demonstrates. Trumps response really doesn’t bother me that much - it’s who he is.

And as aggravating as he can be to the targets of his defiance I suppose it’s good to have guys like Paul in congress. As long he’s on board when it counts.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2021, 10:32:32 pm »
Repeating the simple wisdom of Heraclitus; CHARACTER IS DESTINY!
Trump, devoid of Character, has never been capable of measuring it in others;
hence the parade of jackasses he surrounded himself with while in the WH.
Mercifully, some of his fans are finally getting real about him, seeing
him for the fraud and hustler he has been since birth; all mouth w/the brain of a brick.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2021, 11:02:54 pm »
This was just a dumb move. Paul has been doing good work against Fauci.
The Republic is lost.