Author Topic: OPINION: Trump could be the most honest president in modern history  (Read 3883 times)

Offline libertybele

Marc Thiessen: Trump could be the most honest president in modern history

......."when it comes to the real barometer of presidential truthfulness -- keeping his promises -- Trump is a paragon of honesty. For better or worse, since taking office Trump has done exactly what he promised he would do.

Trump kept his promise to move the U.S. Embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, something his three immediate predecessors also promised yet failed to do. He promised to "crush and destroy ISIS," and two years later he is on the verge of eliminating the Islamic State's physical caliphate. He promised to impose a travel ban on countries that he saw as posing a terrorist threat, and after several false starts the final version of his ban was upheld by the Supreme Court. He promised to punish Syria if it used chemical weapons on its people, and, unlike his immediate predecessor, he followed through -- not once but twice.

Trump pledged to nominate Supreme Court justices "in the mold of Justice [Antonin] Scalia," and now Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh sit on the high court. Trump also pledged to fill the federal appellate courts with young, conservative judges, and so far the Senate has confirmed 26 -- more than any recent president at this point in his administration.

Trump vowed to pass historic tax reforms, and signed the first major overhaul of the tax code in three decades. He vowed an unprecedented regulatory rollback, with a strict policy to eliminate two existing regulations for every new regulation. Instead, in his first year he eliminated 22 existing regulations for every new rule, achieved $8.1 billion in lifetime regulatory savings and is on track to achieve an additional $9.8 billion this year.

During the campaign, he told African American voters, "What do you have to lose? ... I will straighten it out. I'll bring jobs back. We'll bring spirit back." On his watch, African American unemployment reached the lowest level ever recorded, and his tax reform included a little-noticed provision creating "Opportunity Zones" to try to revitalize struggling towns and inner-city communities. ............

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/marc-thiessen-trump-could-be-the-most-honest-president-in-modern-history
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: OPINION: Trump could be the most honest president in modern history
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 12:37:18 pm »
I said it before and I'll say it again......Trump is GOD!!!!!!

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 01:16:15 pm »
The article is correct, but I think the source is interesting.  Thiessen is/was a Bushie, but this article kind of reminds me of McConnell's statement that Congress had more conservative accomplishments under Trump in 2017 than in any year McConnell had been in office.

It is as if a good number of those Republicans who were turned off by Trump's style are starting to come around just because he's actually getting so much done.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 06:07:29 pm »
The article is correct, but I think the source is interesting.  Thiessen is/was a Bushie, but this article kind of reminds me of McConnell's statement that Congress had more conservative accomplishments under Trump in 2017 than in any year McConnell had been in office.

It is as if a good number of those Republicans who were turned off by Trump's style are starting to come around just because he's actually getting so much done.

I know, Maj. Bill.  It has happened to me.  I have evolved in my sentiments about Trump.  When he was first elected, I decided to support him as long as I could but I didn't like him as a person.

I've actually started to like him now and I am more amused than appalled at some of his untoward remarks.  They make me happy.  It is so fun.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 01:26:43 am »
I know, Maj. Bill.  It has happened to me.  I have evolved in my sentiments about Trump.  When he was first elected, I decided to support him as long as I could but I didn't like him as a person.

I've actually started to like him now and I am more amused than appalled at some of his untoward remarks.  They make me happy.  It is so fun.

No doubt I was elated that he won over Hills, something that I certainly didn't think would happen.  He has surprised me and his character has calmed a bit...but some of his remarks ... well ... not so much.  No one is perfect.  I believe he has shown tremendous leadership and as I thought, he gave our economy a shot in the arm and he has stood up to the bullies.  Perhaps it takes a bully to handle a bully.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 04:26:24 am »
No doubt I was elated that he won over Hills, something that I certainly didn't think would happen.  He has surprised me and his character has calmed a bit...but some of his remarks ... well ... not so much.  No one is perfect.  I believe he has shown tremendous leadership and as I thought, he gave our economy a shot in the arm and he has stood up to the bullies.  Perhaps it takes a bully to handle a bully.

I know.  They cannot figure out what to make of him or how to handled him.  The fact is, they can't, and it's started to tickle the heck out of me.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 04:33:24 am »
And he could be the Beast of Revelations.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 04:41:06 am »
Hmm......... most honest in modern history???
In that case let's canonize him as St.Trumperor,
our first American Saint!!!

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2018, 05:05:12 am »
Right.

And Obama had the most scandal-free regime in American history and there was not a 'smidgeon of corruption' in the IRS debacle with Lois Lerner either according to imbecile propagandists on the other side.

So it goes to figure that imbecile propagandists on this side would go and made equally stupid and moronic assertions when there is incontrovertible evidence aplenty to completely debunk the claim that Trump is the 'most honest in history'.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2018, 05:07:05 am »
When you don't have a clue, does that mean you do things honestly?
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2018, 05:12:20 am »

Exactly, @Emjay !!

And the ONLY difference in the way you and I feel about President Trump...is that I felt it in June, 2015.      :beer:

And I don't mean for that to sound dismissive in anyway.  I am so proud of him as Leader of the free world.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2018, 06:13:29 am »
I'm going to miss Trump too when he is imprisoned.

I don't like insulting a clown suffering from narcissism, Alzheimer's, and syphilis,  but it has kept me endlessly entertained for the 2 last year.  When Trump said a hurricane was the wettest in history, and he said had "the best words," and "I'm really smart..."  :silly: hilarious

Watching him in action today doing the same stuff he criticized Obama for 4 years earlier, and documenting it on twitter for me to enjoy today. :laugh:  He's done so much.   

But to read today that some body actually wrote Trump is the most honest President, when he is a pathological liar, is a highlight.

It's not arguable by any rational person that Trump is honest.  He not only lies about the big stuff, like hating the spending bills he signs, but also the petty insignificant stuff that is easily disprovable.

On day one Trump commanded Sean Spicer to not just repeat what Trump had to say about his inauguration attendance, but also commanded Spicer to argue Trump's lie "biggest in history" personally.  Trump says he can't release his tax returns, "Mexico is gonna pay for the wall,"  Mexico is sending rapists and murderers, there are some good nazis, and "I don't know anything about that you'll have to ask Michael Cohen."

You know he's a liar.  I know he's a liar.  Why play this game?

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2018, 09:00:38 am »
Ehhhhhh...

Trump has this thing called "truthful hyperbole". That's his term for lying. So no, he's not the most honest modern president.

An idiot article enjoyed by idiots.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2018, 09:10:24 am »
“Trump could be the most honest president in modern history”

Where have I heard that before? Oh, yeah, in my posting history. I said the same thing months ago.

Must be true if more than one person sees it.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2018, 01:23:33 pm »
I'm going to miss Trump too when he is imprisoned.  I don't like insulting a clown suffering from narcissism, Alzheimer's, and syphilis,  but it has kept me endlessly entertained for the 2 last year. [...]

Based on your post the same could be said and asked of you.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2018, 01:29:57 pm »
But to read today that some body actually wrote Trump is the most honest President, when he is a pathological liar, is a highlight.

It says "could be".  The author evidently thinks Trump can shut his trap.

I don't think he can. He'll keep lying.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2018, 01:48:19 pm »
Based on your post the same could be said and asked of you.
I'm sorry you don’t appreciate my humor.  Hopefully you will find some other posters today that entertain you more than me.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2018, 01:58:28 pm »

Just so you know, ...got a whole bunch of these!    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2018, 02:10:07 pm »
I'm going to miss Trump too when he is imprisoned.

I don't like insulting a clown suffering from narcissism, Alzheimer's, and syphilis,  but it has kept me endlessly entertained for the 2 last year.  When Trump said a hurricane was the wettest in history, and he said had "the best words," and "I'm really smart..."  :silly: hilarious

Watching him in action today doing the same stuff he criticized Obama for 4 years earlier, and documenting it on twitter for me to enjoy today. :laugh:  He's done so much.   

It's not arguable by any rational person that Trump is honest.  He not only lies about the big stuff, like hating the spending bills he signs, but also the petty insignificant stuff that is easily disprovable.

On day one Trump commanded Sean Spicer to not just repeat what Trump had to say about his inauguration attendance, but also commanded Spicer to argue Trump's lie "biggest in history" personally.  Trump says he can't release his tax returns, "Mexico is gonna pay for the wall,"  Mexico is sending rapists and murderers, there are some good nazis, and "I don't know anything about that you'll have to ask Michael Cohen."

Speaking of lies, the bolded part of your screed is untrue. 

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2018, 05:39:55 pm »
Exactly, @Emjay !!

And the ONLY difference in the way you and I feel about President Trump...is that I felt it in June, 2015.      :beer:

And I don't mean for that to sound dismissive in anyway.  I am so proud of him as Leader of the free world.

No, Bill, I actually admire you for being prescient.  I was not, and I was like a lot of the NTers here during the primaries.  But one of my main fears about trump was that I didn't think he could win.  I did not realize what a deep chord he struck with many average voters out in flyover country.

But, unlike a lot of die-hards here, I woke up the morning after the election.  It took me only one day to support Trump but many months to get over my petty criticisms of his personality.

Hey, I am totally over it now and I love, love, love it when he says something outrageous enough to send the liberals into a total frenzy.

Growth, baby.  How to stop worrying and learn to love the Trump.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2018, 02:06:07 am »
Which of these "knows" Trump best, his Mother or his drum beaters???
She defined him as incorrigible and therefore unreformable.
So is he a liar???
Not consciously, as he lives in a self-created world; oblivious as to the impact of words.
He has created Sturm und Drang in our politics which is long overdue and a good thing.
But our adversaries are not amused; rather they wait for the moment to strike us hard.
We had better be prepared, as Trump is neither stable nor a genius, despite his assertions.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2018, 02:39:56 am »
Which of these "knows" Trump best, his Mother or his drum beaters???
She defined him as incorrigible and therefore unreformable.
So is he a liar???
Not consciously, as he lives in a self-created world; oblivious as to the impact of words.
He has created Sturm und Drang in our politics which is long overdue and a good thing.
But our adversaries are not amused; rather they wait for the moment to strike us hard.
We had better be prepared, as Trump is neither stable nor a genius, despite his assertions.

I've voiced my opinion of his mother before.   She was a poor mother who could not deal with a difficult kid and she wanted to send him to a military school and get him out of her hair (which, by the way, looked just like his).  She was a coward and a slacker.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2018, 07:52:07 pm »
I've voiced my opinion of his mother before.   She was a poor mother who could not deal with a difficult kid and she wanted to send him to a military school and get him out of her hair (which, by the way, looked just like his).  She was a coward and a slacker.
--------------------------------------------------
An anecdote from the past; a wise teacher.
Anne MacLeod, born in the Scottish Hebrides, was one of ten siblings.
She raised 5 children, all successful, and her eldest Maryanne, spoke
glowingly of her mother to my sister, as they were long time friends
from their days in Jamaica, Queens.
Also, Fred Trump agreed w/his wife in sending Donald to military school.
So she was a poor mother, a coward and a slacker, was she?????
An embarrassing slander yet how very predicable.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2018, 07:56:49 pm »
The Presidency has changed Trump for the better.  No one can doubt the pastors prayer yesterday really affected Trump.

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2018, 07:59:19 pm »
Speaking of lies, the bolded part of your screed is untrue.

Lets go through them then...

@Sanguine
On day one Trump commanded Sean Spicer to not just repeat what Trump had to say about his inauguration attendance, but also commanded Spicer to argue Trump's lie "biggest in history" personally.

You believe this is a lie, yes?

Do you believe Trump had the biggest attendance?
Do you believe he didn't tell Spicer to say it?