Author Topic: President Trump must clarify his statements in Helsinki on our intelligence system and Putin. It is  (Read 2235 times)

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Newt Gingrich
‏
Verified account

@newtgingrich
Follow Follow @newtgingrich
More
President Trump must clarify his statements in Helsinki on our intelligence system and Putin. It is the most serious mistake of his presidency and must be corrected—-immediately.

When you've lost Newt...

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
I don't think that a President at a joint press conference after a summit should publicly attack the other participant.

Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline skeeter

I don't think that a President at a joint press conference after a summit should publicly attack the other participant.

The state/media complex has lost it's mucking find.

Offline KittenClaws

• Normalcy Bias? I like to think I don't have it.
Newt, you lost credibility when you sat on that sofa with pelosi.

Go to a corner, sit down and suck your thumb.....get a head start on all of those who will have to eat their words.

Offline austingirl

The state/media complex has lost it's mucking find.

Haven't seen CNN or MSNBC showing any interest in the Clinton "donation" or in where the DNC servers are. I think Mueller having Rosenstein make the announcement of the meaningless indictments on Friday amounts to an attempted soft coup. Has anyone from the federal government ever seen the hardware? Can anyone in the federal government be trusted?

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
I heard Levin and others comment. Larry Elder too. I'll see how this unfolds. Newts a good guy.

Offline Frank Cannon

Can anyone ever remember a war of words between two leaders on the same dais? This is the most absurd dust up I ever saw. DC might be bent out of shape about this, the rest of the country not so much.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Can anyone in the federal government be trusted?
That must be a question Trump asks himself each day.

Mueller? Rosie? Sessions? Wray? Ryan?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Frank Cannon

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline goatprairie

Offline goatprairie

« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 02:06:56 pm by Mod5 »

Offline skeeter

Haven't seen CNN or MSNBC showing any interest in the Clinton "donation" or in where the DNC servers are. I think Mueller having Rosenstein make the announcement of the meaningless indictments on Friday amounts to an attempted soft coup. Has anyone from the federal government ever seen the hardware? Can anyone in the federal government be trusted?

Doesn't Mueller have to at least consider the offer Putin made yesterday?

What can he lose? Simply saying Putin cannot be trusted won't cut it - if the truth is whats at stake here its a golden opportunity.

Offline austingirl

Doesn't Mueller have to at least consider the offer Putin made yesterday?

What can he lose? Simply saying Putin cannot be trusted won't cut it - if the truth is whats at stake here its a golden opportunity.

Mueller has no intention of doing anything about the 12 Russians. Putin's offer is also not on the radar of the putrid media.

Offline TomSea

Who cares if Newt is in a picture with Pelosi? Newt balanced the budget. Somewhere along the line, one has to have reaching across the aisle.  Otherwise, gridlock.  Gingrich probably shouldn't have moved the Republicans to impeach Clinton. Things like that cause  a lot of bad blood.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 03:04:20 pm by TomSea »

Silver Pines

@austingirl

You certainly don't lay the blame on your own country.

Let's face it, if Obama had said what Trump said, we would be calling for his head right now.

Offline austingirl

@austingirl

You certainly don't lay the blame on your own country.

Let's face it, if Obama had said what Trump said, we would be calling for his head right now.

Trump would have better off if he didn't answer the question, stating it had been dealt with privately.

Silver Pines

Trump would have better off if he didn't answer the question, stating it had been dealt with privately.

@austingirl

Disagree.  Any president, no matter his party affiliation, needs to be called out for foreign apology tours.

Offline austingirl

@austingirl

Disagree.  Any president, no matter his party affiliation, needs to be called out for foreign apology tours.

Foreign apology tour? Not hardly. Just ask the NATO folks. Trump made several tactical errors. He should have had Pompeo in the meeting with Putin. Trump thinks he's a great communicator and he's not. He's inarticulate and should have told the reporter that the question was inappropriate. It was, and it was a setup. His own hubris landed him in hot water.

Offline Concerned

Foreign apology tour? Not hardly. Just ask the NATO folks. Trump made several tactical errors. He should have had Pompeo in the meeting with Putin. Trump thinks he's a great communicator and he's not. He's inarticulate and should have told the reporter that the question was inappropriate. It was, and it was a setup. His own hubris landed him in hot water.

I think the question was entirely appropriate and in fact, inevitable, but I don’t think he needed to “attack the other participant” to avoid throwing his own Intelligence and National Security Community under the bus.  I think good staff work would have had a statement like the following ready for the President to say at the Press Conference when he was (inevitably) asked about Putin and Russian meddling:

“I have been and will continue to hold Russia accountable for meddling in past and future US elections.  Although President Putin has denied the meddling, Dan Coats and the rest of the Intelligence and National Security Community have provided me with the evidence of their involvement.  Further, 26 Russians have been indicted by our Department of Justice.  Regardless of these facts, I believe we can both hold Russia accountable along with improving relations with them all at the same time.  That is the challenge before us, and I believe, we together, are up to the task.”
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Silver Pines

@austingirl

Yes, apology tour.  He placed all of the blame on this country.  If that's not an apology tour, the term is meaningless.

The Russian foreign ministry agreed with him, at least.

Offline TomSea

Selling Uranium to Russia certainly gets a "stupid policy" grade in my book, Trump has also commented on how the Russians stole Crimea during the Obama administration, more stupid policy. It could mean that just as easily.

Offline austingirl

@austingirl

Yes, apology tour.  He placed all of the blame on this country.  If that's not an apology tour, the term is meaningless.

The Russian foreign ministry agreed with him, at least.

I don't see an apology. I do see criticism of past policy, and, of course, his frustration at being framed. He is inarticulate and a narcissist. Too bad only narcissists apply for the job.

While I don't agree with your characterization, I think we agree the summit was botched by Trump.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Do you people even realize who was in charge of our intelligence agencies at the time all this went down?  Not only did the fail to do anything about it.. it's very likely that they were complicit it getting it done!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien