Author Topic: President Trump must clarify his statements in Helsinki on our intelligence system and Putin. It is  (Read 2237 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Do you people even realize who was in charge of our intelligence agencies at the time all this went down?  Not only did the fail to do anything about it.. it's very likely that they were complicit it getting it done!

The hacking hasn't stopped though. Russia is constantly and seriously making attempts on our infrastructure*. To blow them off (phrasing) is asinine and saying 'well it happened under the prior administration' is no excuse (and about as lame as Obama's constant 'I inherited this mess' comments).

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/03/17/world/russian-hacking-u-s-infrastructure-included-aviation/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2018/04/16/russia-accused-of-hacking-network-infrastructure/#1e993fab744e
https://www.securityweek.com/us-accuses-russian-government-hacking-infrastructure

Offline dfwgator

You think Russia is the only country trying to hack us?

You bet your sweet bippy the Brits and Germans are trying to do the same.

Offline Frank Cannon

The hacking hasn't stopped though. Russia is constantly and seriously making attempts on our infrastructure*. To blow them off (phrasing) is asinine and saying 'well it happened under the prior administration' is no excuse (and about as lame as Obama's constant 'I inherited this mess' comments).

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/03/17/world/russian-hacking-u-s-infrastructure-included-aviation/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2018/04/16/russia-accused-of-hacking-network-infrastructure/#1e993fab744e
https://www.securityweek.com/us-accuses-russian-government-hacking-infrastructure

Yeah, and no one else is doing this like maybe the Chinamen, NORKS and various African scammers.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

I'm not blowing anything off!  I'm just pointing out the fact that our intelligence agencies have been politicized since the Clinton era and THAT needs to be fixed ASAP!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
I think the question was entirely appropriate and in fact, inevitable, but I don’t think he needed to “attack the other participant” to avoid throwing his own Intelligence and National Security Community under the bus.  I think good staff work would have had a statement like the following ready for the President to say at the Press Conference when he was (inevitably) asked about Putin and Russian meddling:

“I have been and will continue to hold Russia accountable for meddling in past and future US elections.  Although President Putin has denied the meddling, Dan Coats and the rest of the Intelligence and National Security Community have provided me with the evidence of their involvement.  Further, 26 Russians have been indicted by our Department of Justice.  Regardless of these facts, I believe we can both hold Russia accountable along with improving relations with them all at the same time.  That is the challenge before us, and I believe, we together, are up to the task.”

His own intelligence community has never seen the servers. They and Mueller are acting on the findings of Crowdstrike, hired by the DNC who refused to hand over the servers over to the FBI.

Interference and meddling in foreign elections is a world-wide practice. Nothing new.

No world leader attacks another at a joint press conference. 
Principles matter. Words matter.

Silver Pines

No world leader attacks another at a joint press conference.

@austingirl

That's the straw man I keep seeing.  No one expected Trump to "attack" Putin, but he's damn well expected to not lay the blame for all of Russia's meddling on us.

Offline ABX

Yeah, and no one else is doing this like maybe the Chinamen, NORKS and various African scammers.

Russia is the key one we know about and the worst on the block for that.

At that, Russia may be the ones supplying information to help these other entities hack us (and others).  They actually have schools training hackers from around the world.
https://foreignpolicy.com/2009/10/12/inside-a-russian-hacker-school/

Offline austingirl

@austingirl

That's the straw man I keep seeing.  No one expected Trump to "attack" Putin, but he's damn well expected to not lay the blame for all of Russia's meddling on us.

I don't see that he "lay the blame for all of Russia's meddling on us." We obviously have different takes. Can we agree to disagree?

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused

At that, Russia may be the ones supplying information to help these other entities hack us (and others).  They actually have schools training hackers from around the world.
https://foreignpolicy.com/2009/10/12/inside-a-russian-hacker-school/

Yes, I believe this.

Let's not kid ourselves, there is a lot of this around, Mossad and we probably do it.

But as for me, I do think Russia does attempt to undermine the West, might give secrets to North Korea, Iran and things like this. They are not trustworthy. IMO.

Offline Concerned

@austingirl

I don't know why some Trump supporters offer a false choice:  Trump could only do what he did or "attack" Putin.  Of course, that wasn't the only choices available to this President.  He could have actually supported OUR country and supported HIS Intelligence/National Security Community without "attacking" Putin.  I gave but one example of how he could have done that.  Instead, the President of United States said that he saw no reason why Russia would meddle (Now that's throwing YOUR own IC under the bus IMO).  Instead, he said he had confidence in his intelligence community BUT Putin denied what they've assured him.  Instead, he called the country he is currently leading as "foolish".  Just as he didn't need to "attack" Putin and Russia, I don't think he needed to attack OUR country either.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
I don't see that he "lay the blame for all of Russia's meddling on us." We obviously have different takes. Can we agree to disagree?

True. It's a bridge to far to assert Trump is actually blaming us for this.

Offline cato potatoe

@austingirl

He is especially stubborn and tone-deaf on this topic.  It's only natural for his political opponents to be suspicious. 

Offline austingirl

Just saw on Fox that Trump is expected to address his summit with Putin at 2pm ET.

Offline cato potatoe

Just saw on Fox that Trump is expected to address his summit with Putin at 2pm ET.

It had better be a prepared statement.  If he digs any more he will come out in China.

Offline Frank Cannon

That's today's line. Last week it was the Chinamen that were the worst on the block as far as the Deep Staters were concerned.

BTW Russia is the worst of the worst and the best they can do is Phishing scams?

Offline jpsb

At times Newt is a bed wetter. This appears to be one of those times. I just do not understand why
the left is so gunho for a war with Russia. Millions if not billions would die. It's insane not to seek
better relations with Russia.

Offline dfwgator

Offline jpsb

Gingrich probably shouldn't have moved the Republicans to impeach Clinton.

IIRC Newt was opposed to impeaching Clinton, but finally gave in to the GOP House that very much
wanted to impeach. It was a bone headed move by the GOP to go after Clinton for having sex with
Monica. Ken Star is and was a jerk.

Offline austingirl

At times Newt is a bed wetter. This appears to be one of those times. I just do not understand why
the left is so gunho for a war with Russia. Millions if not billions would die. It's insane not to seek
better relations with Russia.

Doesn't fit the narrative to impeach Trump.

Offline jpsb

@austingirl

You certainly don't lay the blame on your own country.

Let's face it, if Obama had said what Trump said, we would be calling for his head right now.

Sound like you have forgotten Obama apology tour. Where he went aboard and blamed the USA for all the bad things happening in the world.

Offline Suppressed

For those who watch it, please post if Trump reveals what компрома́т the Soviets, uh, Russians, have on him.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ABX

That's today's line. Last week it was the Chinamen that were the worst on the block as far as the Deep Staters were concerned.

BTW Russia is the worst of the worst and the best they can do is Phishing scams?

Russia has always been the worst and the ones that have directly been going after our infrastructure. China actually plays it rather measured, they are too dependent on our economy.

And as for a Phishing scam, those are actually rather elegant. Hacking isn't some kid sitting in a corner typing faster than anti-virus programs- that's all Hollywood. Most hacks, including some of the most famous ones in history, start with some sort of Social Engineering aspect with Phishing probably the easiest as it casts the widest net and overall is the most successful.

Offline Frank Cannon

Russia has always been the worst and the ones that have directly been going after our infrastructure. China actually plays it rather measured, they are too dependent on our economy.

And as for a Phishing scam, those are actually rather elegant. Hacking isn't some kid sitting in a corner typing faster than anti-virus programs- that's all Hollywood. Most hacks, including some of the most famous ones in history, start with some sort of Social Engineering aspect with Phishing probably the easiest as it casts the widest net and overall is the most successful.

Sorry. Not buying your Deep State talking points that phishing scams are either elegant or successful. Most third graders knowledgeable on Stranger Danger know not to open mysterious emails. Just because one single group of genuinely stupid and corrupt people did does not make it successful. It makes it a one in a million bank shot.

Offline austingirl

Sorry. Not buying your Deep State talking points that phishing scams are either elegant or successful. Most third graders knowledgeable on Stranger Danger know not to open mysterious emails. Just because one single group of genuinely stupid and corrupt people did does not make it successful. It makes it a one in a million bank shot.

:thumbsup:

Silver Pines

Sound like you have forgotten Obama apology tour. Where he went aboard and blamed the USA for all the bad things happening in the world.

@jpsb

Yes, I've totally forgotten it, which is why I've been comparing it to Trump's on the forum this morning.