Author Topic: LIVE THREAD>>>SCOTUS Announcement  (Read 24052 times)

Offline bilo

Re: LIVE THREAD>>>SCOTUS Announcement
« Reply #400 on: July 10, 2018, 04:55:12 pm »
John McCain
John McCain
@SenJohnMcCain
·
13h
Judge Brett Kavanaugh has impeccable credentials & a strong record of upholding the Constitution. He is widely respected as a fair, independent & mainstream judge. I look forward to the Senate moving forward with a fair & thorough confirmation process. (link: https://www.mccain.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/press-releases?ID=F1BDBD24-577D-4545-BCB5-825282D6A04C)

This renews my reservations about Kavanaugh.

I think the good news is if he doesn't get confirmed after the mid terms the Pubs should have increased their majority and maybe the next nominee will have less of the Bush taint on them.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Oceander

« Reply #401 on: July 10, 2018, 04:57:51 pm »

I think the good news is if he doesn't get confirmed after the mid terms the Pubs should have increased their majority and maybe the next nominee will have less of the Bush taint on them.

Or, the GOP loses its razor thin majority in the Senate and no nominee gets approved during the rest of Trump’s term, and possibly into the next term, unless Trump nominates a liberal. 

A bird in the hand is worth two in the shrubbery. 

Offline bilo

« Reply #402 on: July 10, 2018, 04:58:28 pm »
:silly:

This is great, because this guy is not impeccably conservative the idiot screamers will screetch and screetch, and he won't be confirmed and his nomination will be delayed until maybe the Dems can actually block his nomination because they have captured the Senate.

How do they block the nomination of a new judge until 2020? The Pubs will gain seats in 2018, if for no other reason than the Rats are defending so many seats in Red States. The situation flips in 2020 when the Pubs are defending the majority of the seats.

Offline bilo

« Reply #403 on: July 10, 2018, 05:08:46 pm »
Or, the GOP loses its razor thin majority in the Senate and no nominee gets approved during the rest of Trump’s term, and possibly into the next term, unless Trump nominates a liberal. 

Look at the seats the Rats are defending and the few seats the Pubs are defending. Granted if the Pubs had actually done what they said they would they would probably hold the House and maybe even gain some seats. The Senate though is a totally different story. The vast majority of the seats in question are Rat seats. The Pubs will gain in the Senate and it's really a question of how much.

As far as Kavanaugh goes I'm indifferent. He sounds good, but has a long history with the Bush's and the DC establishment. Also, the Ivy League connection is not a plus in my view. If he gets confirmed and sticks to the literal meaning of the Constitution great. However, we really won't know until he's on the court. Roberts sold us down the river after everyone said he was going to be a strict constructionist and was a great pick.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #404 on: July 10, 2018, 05:10:28 pm »

...not if the bird is a turkey.

Oceander

« Reply #405 on: July 10, 2018, 05:13:08 pm »
Look at the seats the Rats are defending and the few seats the Pubs are defending. Granted if the Pubs had actually done what they said they would they would probably hold the House and maybe even gain some seats. The Senate though is a totally different story. The vast majority of the seats in question are Rat seats. The Pubs will gain in the Senate and it's really a question of how much.

As far as Kavanaugh goes I'm indifferent. He sounds good, but has a long history with the Bush's and the DC establishment. Also, the Ivy League connection is not a plus in my view. If he gets confirmed and sticks to the literal meaning of the Constitution great. However, we really won't know until he's on the court. Roberts sold us down the river after everyone said he was going to be a strict constructionist and was a great pick.

Add into that the republicans at the margin who might bolt another nominee, such as Collins, and Kavanaugh was a very reasonable choice at this point.  Whether anyone will admit it or not, for better or worse, Collins has a lot of power here because of the risk of her bolting. 

And a loss now would have emboldened the democrats as well.

Of course it’s all speculation one way or the other, but as things stand now, on the basis of the Congress as it stands now, Kavanaugh was probably the right pick. 

And no, he wasn’t my first choice. 

Oceander

« Reply #406 on: July 10, 2018, 05:13:49 pm »
...not if the bird is a turkey.

Are you seriously taking the position that Kavanaugh is a turkey?

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #407 on: July 10, 2018, 05:24:27 pm »
I'd rather have had Barrett, but I'm going to gamble that Kavanaugh will be as good as or better than Kennedy. And as said, being the Senate margin is thin, I'd rather have that someone in there now who can be appointed v. later when the prospects may be a harder sell.
The Republic is lost.

Offline bilo

« Reply #408 on: July 10, 2018, 05:27:36 pm »
Add into that the republicans at the margin who might bolt another nominee, such as Collins, and Kavanaugh was a very reasonable choice at this point. Whether anyone will admit it or not, for better or worse, Collins has a lot of power here because of the risk of her bolting. 

And a loss now would have emboldened the democrats as well.

Of course it’s all speculation one way or the other, but as things stand now, on the basis of the Congress as it stands now, Kavanaugh was probably the right pick. 

And no, he wasn’t my first choice.

I think you're right that the liberal Pubs were part of the consideration in who was picked. If they bolt now and the Pubs pick up the seats they should in the mid-terms then they may really regret not supporting Kavanaugh. Trump could pick someone with no DC connection, or Bush association, and he wouldn't need their votes.

I don't get as excited as some about SCOTUS picks, so many have been big disappointments.

I will get pumped up though when Ginsberg retires, or dies. That seat will be really important because no one justice becomes the critical swing vote the way Kennedy was.

Offline bilo

« Reply #409 on: July 10, 2018, 05:32:12 pm »
I'd rather have had Barrett, but I'm going to gamble that Kavanaugh will be as good as or better than Kennedy. And as said, being the Senate margin is thin, I'd rather have that someone in there now who can be appointed v. later when the prospects may be a harder sell.

This is what people are missing. It will be an easier sell after the mid-terms. We will have more Pub Senators.

I'm not saying don't confirm Kavanaugh. By all accounts he should be better than Kennedy, but if there's any indication he won't be then don't confirm him. The conservative position in the Senate is going to be stronger after the mid-terms.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #410 on: July 10, 2018, 05:40:09 pm »
“The Washington establishment, sometimes known as the swamp, wanted Judge Kavanaugh,” said Napolitano. “I am disappointed in the president because this is not the type of person he said he would pick. Justice [Neil] Gorsuch was. This person is at the heart and soul of the D.C. establishment against whom the president railed.”

It was a tough assessment from Napolitano, particularly on a program that Trump is known to watch regularly. The billionaire chief executive is a longtime fan of Napolitano and has been known to reference his legal analysis in public — sometimes to the judge’s detriment.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/fox-friends-trashes-trump-supreme-court-pick-swamp-143912302.html
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 05:41:56 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #411 on: July 10, 2018, 05:41:10 pm »
“The Washington establishment, sometimes known as the swamp, wanted Judge Kavanaugh,” said Napolitano. “I am disappointed in the president because this is not the type of person he said he would pick. Justice [Neil] Gorsuch was. This person is at the heart and soul of the D.C. establishment against whom the president railed.”

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/fox-friends-trashes-trump-supreme-court-pick-swamp-143912302.html

And there you have it in a nutshell.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #412 on: July 10, 2018, 07:35:05 pm »

And the New York Post says he is an excellent choice.

https://nypost.com/2018/07/09/brett-kavanaugh-is-an-excellent-pick-for-the-supreme-court/
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #413 on: July 10, 2018, 07:36:07 pm »
This is what people are missing. It will be an easier sell after the mid-terms. We will have more Pub Senators.

I'm not saying don't confirm Kavanaugh. By all accounts he should be better than Kennedy, but if there's any indication he won't be then don't confirm him. The conservative position in the Senate is going to be stronger after the mid-terms.

??? More PUB Senators?  What are you basing this on?  The GOP lost the past several special elections.  It's not like we have an overwhelming group of conservative Senators ready to fill the shoes of RINO's or DEMS  for the mid terms. 

IMHO reality is the GOP may not retain their slim majority, in fact I think it is likely that they won't. The time to try place a conservative constitutionalist on the bench is now and Trump failed bigly!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #414 on: July 10, 2018, 07:39:56 pm »

https://nypost.com/2018/07/09/brett-kavanaugh-is-an-excellent-pick-for-the-supreme-court/

Approval by the NY Post is not a good sign. Trump has played his liberal card folks and remember he NEVER promised to appoint conservative justice(S) on the bench, he only promised to place a conservative on the bench similar to Scalia and he did when he placed Gorsuch.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline edpc

« Reply #415 on: July 10, 2018, 07:42:28 pm »
??? More PUB Senators?  What are you basing this on?  The GOP lost the past several special elections.  It's not like we have an overwhelming group of conservative Senators ready to fill the shoes of RINO's or DEMS  for the mid terms.

There are seats to be had in ND, MO, MT, just to name a few.  It's becoming increasingly obvious Kavanaugh was an appeasement pick to people like Collins and Murkowski, along with a "rock the boat, but not too heavily" choice for the mid-terms.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #416 on: July 10, 2018, 07:45:35 pm »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #417 on: July 10, 2018, 07:48:17 pm »

There are seats to be had in ND, MO, MT, just to name a few.  It's becoming increasingly obvious Kavanaugh was an appeasement pick to people like Collins and Murkowski, along with a "rock the boat, but not too heavily" choice for the mid-terms.

Compromising on the choice of SCOTUS is absolutely, unequivocally a huge mistake.  Compromising on the Constitution and the country?? Really?? You compromise on taxes or trade deals.  You don't compromise on our rule of law!! 

Just because there are seats up for grabs doesn't mean that they will go to the GOP. What is indicative is the seats already recently lost to the DEMS. 

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #418 on: July 10, 2018, 07:50:10 pm »
  It's becoming increasingly obvious Kavanaugh was an appeasement pick to people like Collins and Murkowski, along with a "rock the boat, but not too heavily" choice for the mid-terms.

And now we have the two most Liberal most unfaithful members of the GOP dictating who the President picks for the Supreme Court...wow
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline edpc

« Reply #419 on: July 10, 2018, 08:01:39 pm »
Just because there are seats up for grabs doesn't mean that they will go to the GOP.

No, it doesn't.  The nominee was going to be fodder for the left, regardless.  However, there are degrees of outrage among the known four.  It would seem that the number of writings by Kavanaugh will be used to attempt showing 'balance' on issues, during confirmation.  Basically, a political ploy to keep tight races from tilting too far away.  I'm not advocating this approach - just making an observation on how it appears and the reasons it was done.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 08:03:12 pm by edpc »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #420 on: July 10, 2018, 08:03:24 pm »
And now we have the two most Liberal most unfaithful members of the GOP dictating who the President picks for the Supreme Court...wow

Exactly.  So, at the end of the day, the liberals are still in power.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #421 on: July 10, 2018, 08:03:47 pm »

McConnell just referred to him as a "Superb choice".

Offline Applewood

« Reply #422 on: July 10, 2018, 08:08:06 pm »
McConnell just referred to him as a "Superb choice".

Well, I was feeling better about Kavanaugh, but if the Turtle likes him....

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #423 on: July 10, 2018, 08:08:49 pm »
@Right_in_Virginia   Why are we still surprised at the mindsets of some people here?  We should know by now that they will pounce on an nit yet to be picked.

I'm disappointed ... Anyone who uses the term 'Bushy' drops a notch in my estimation.  That George W. Bush likes this judge is far from being a negative.  Both men are personally likable which does not mean they agree on all political things.

Oh, well. trudge on, I guess.

I'm disappointed @Emjay because quite a few were using the "principle" of strict constitutionalist judges as a smokescreen for conservative activist judges.

There will be no getting through their disappointment. 

Offline libertybele

« Reply #424 on: July 10, 2018, 08:18:34 pm »
I'm disappointed @Emjay because quite a few were using the "principle" of strict constitutionalist judges as a smokescreen for conservative activist judges.

There will be no getting through their disappointment.

??? IF Kavanaugh is seated and IF he rules according to the Constitution, I will have no problem.  Unfortunately his past speaks volumes.  Ruling aligned with the Constitution usually leans towards conservatism and ruling outside those parameters usually leans towards liberalism. 

A justice's duty is not to rewrite law but to rule whether the law is Constitutional.