Author Topic: LIVE THREAD>>>SCOTUS Announcement  (Read 24129 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: LIVE THREAD>>>SCOTUS Announcement
« Reply #350 on: July 10, 2018, 10:09:01 am »
They called Greman Shepherds "Alsatians".

I’d like s puppy on the court . It would make life interesting.
(No jokes about the females on the court. I mean a real doggy)
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Applewood

« Reply #351 on: July 10, 2018, 10:12:43 am »
I missed the "big reveal," but this morning when I saw a clip where Kavanaugh said the function of the judiciary is to interpret the law, not to make  law, I felt a helluva lot better about this guy than I did before.   I just hope that, if confirmed, he doesn't forget what he said.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #352 on: July 10, 2018, 10:20:48 am »

https://twitter.com/RealAlexJones/status/1014866970909474818
Alex Jones
‏Verified account @RealAlexJones

Trump must not put Bush stooge Brett Kavanaugh on the SCOTUS . Involved in the Vince Foster Cover up !

Offline Applewood

« Reply #353 on: July 10, 2018, 10:22:31 am »
Alex Jones --

:facepalm2:

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #354 on: July 10, 2018, 10:24:18 am »

I say give him a chance... just stop and think who Hilary would have chosen..

@mystery-ak

That's not much comfort. The election was almost two years ago...we neeed to stop using her as a measuring stick for everything Trump does because that sets an extremely low bar by which to judge Trump and what he does as successful.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 10:27:22 am by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Silver Pines

« Reply #355 on: July 10, 2018, 10:42:46 am »

EGADS!

We need this dog in charge.

HERO SAS Dog Saves The Lives of Six Soldiers In Syria By Ripping Out Jihadi's Throat While Taking Down Three Terrorists Who Ambushed British Patrol

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5930275/Hero-SAS-dog-saves-lives-six-elite-soldiers-Syria-ripping-jihadis-throat.html

@To-Whose-Benefit?

That’s a very good boy.  Thank God he wasn’t hurt. 

I hope somebody gives him a good home after he retires.

Silver Pines

« Reply #356 on: July 10, 2018, 10:54:25 am »
Shoshana Weissmann, Sloth Committee Chair @senatorshoshana
9 hours ago

is this how normal people feel when they watch the bachelor

@Once-Ler

Lol

Love her

Silver Pines

« Reply #357 on: July 10, 2018, 10:58:11 am »
I missed the "big reveal," but this morning when I saw a clip where Kavanaugh said the function of the judiciary is to interpret the law, not to make  law, I felt a helluva lot better about this guy than I did before.   I just hope that, if confirmed, he doesn't forget what he said.

@Applewood

Twitter killed the suspense for me but we tuned in to hear the formal announcement, and a few minutes of the convo about wives and kids and first dates.  Then we went back to watching The Terror (excellent show).

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #358 on: July 10, 2018, 01:37:51 pm »
Jay Sekulow said he has known Kavanaugh for 20 years and considers him trustworthy.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #359 on: July 10, 2018, 01:42:17 pm »
Jay Sekulow said he has known Kavanaugh for 20 years and considers him trustworthy.

And that means what exactly?  The Federalist Society loves him too.  They also endorsed Roberts back in 2005.

:shrug:
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Oceander

« Reply #360 on: July 10, 2018, 01:55:53 pm »
There is nothing evil in facing political reality.  What good is nominating somebody's favorite if he or she cannot be confirmed.  Kavanaugh may stand the best chance of being confirmed while also being a great choice.

I liked his speech and his looks and his family and his record.  Good choice.  I see no evidence of the lame 'made man' argument and bringing negative stuff about the Bushes into this is just sick. 

Agreed.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #361 on: July 10, 2018, 02:01:06 pm »
Santorum rips Trump Supreme Court pick: He ‘bowed to the elite in Washington’
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/396254-santorum-rips-trump-supreme-court-pick-he-bowed-to-the-elite-in
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline TomSea

« Reply #362 on: July 10, 2018, 02:05:29 pm »
And that means what exactly?  The Federalist Society loves him too.  They also endorsed Roberts back in 2005.

:shrug:

At the least, it appears like a positive. Maybe not.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #363 on: July 10, 2018, 02:06:32 pm »
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/396254-santorum-rips-trump-supreme-court-pick-he-bowed-to-the-elite-in

Yes, Kavanaugh went to Yale I heard. I wish we weren't picking Ivy league educated.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #364 on: July 10, 2018, 02:07:20 pm »

Santorum:
"I don't think it's going to be a game changer, but I think it's not a, 'Yeah, let's go get them,' kind of moment for Trump,” he added.

"Yeah, let's go get them"?  Sounds like (some) conservatives don't want a constitutionalist sitting on the bench for the next 30 years.  Sounds like they want an activist, for right now.  Damn it!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #365 on: July 10, 2018, 02:08:29 pm »

We don't know this for sure yet, but it does look like Trump bowed to political expediency, and you can always make excuses to do that, but this was a chance to bring the court back to its Constitutionally defined role, and he gave in to the establishment.  I think this may well prove to be a serious mistake.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #366 on: July 10, 2018, 02:17:23 pm »
Santorum:
"Yeah, let's go get them"?  Sounds like (some) conservatives don't want a constitutionalist sitting on the bench for the next 30 years.  Sounds like they want an activist, for right now.  Damn it!

That's certainly not what Santorum said. I'm sure Amy is a Constitutionalist as well.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #367 on: July 10, 2018, 02:21:09 pm »
Let's see some endorsements from people who DIDN'T endorse Trump in the primaries.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline TomSea

« Reply #368 on: July 10, 2018, 02:21:17 pm »
Kavanaugh, can we just call hm Kav? Anyway, if no one mentioned it, this may make some sense:

Brett Kavanaugh critics: Nomination a Trump scheme to combat Mueller investigation

The Washington Examiner ^ | July 9, 2018 | Diana Stancy Correll

Critics of President Trump’s Supreme Court nominee, Judge Brett Kavanaugh, connected Kavanaugh’s selection to the ongoing Russia investigation, citing an article Kavanaugh wrote that claimed presidents should not be tied up in lawsuits and probes and warning that the commander in chief might be looking for a way to protect himself in a legal challenge. In a 2009 Minnesota Law Review article, Kavanaugh claimed that presidents should not be caught up in “time-consuming and distracting” lawsuits and investigations. He argued that they “would ill serve the public interest, especially in times of financial or national security crisis.”

Read more at: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/brett-kavanaugh-critics-nomination-a-trump-scheme-to-combat-mueller-investigation

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #369 on: July 10, 2018, 02:21:49 pm »
Santorum:
The left got their activist court with Warren and Brennan. Now we need counteractivists to fix it.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #370 on: July 10, 2018, 02:28:08 pm »

He may have been only half wrong.

What is emerging is a process unique to Trump as potential nominees are increasingly running two different campaigns: one aimed at the president and one aimed at senators.

“Beyond the qualifications, what really matters is, does this nominee fit a central casting image for a Supreme Court nominee, as well as his or her spouse,” the Republican close to the White House said. “That's a big deal. Do they fit the role?”

A picture of front-runner Brett Kavanaugh that has been circulating in Trump circles underscores how what matters to Trump is often very different from what matters to the Senate.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/07/04/trump-supreme-court-pick-family-optics-694788

I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #371 on: July 10, 2018, 02:32:29 pm »
Yes, Kavanaugh went to Yale I heard. I wish we weren't picking Ivy league educated.

But that's what the GOP Elites prefer.  They got who they wanted.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #372 on: July 10, 2018, 02:34:19 pm »
That's certainly not what Santorum said. I'm sure Amy is a Constitutionalist as well.

She's more of a Constitutionalist than the guy who got picked.  Her writings and public statements show that.

RiV is just being pissy because everyone isn't just swooning at the pick and actually want to debate some of the problems we have with Kav.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #373 on: July 10, 2018, 02:46:14 pm »

Indeed.  He is the establishment pick and the Bush pick.  Trump catered to the GOP on this one and in my books, Trump just lost a lot of credibility.  This is thee one issue that many voted for him on; nominating a CONSERVATIVE to the SCOTUS bench and he didn't do it.  He gave us Gorsuch and as I feared; he didn't promise us another conservative justice.  This is all telling as to how I believe, if re-elected his second term will go; about face and liberal.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #374 on: July 10, 2018, 03:00:34 pm »
National Review takes aims at the "flyspecking" by doomsayers, more often than not, wrong:

Judge Brett Kavanaugh: A Warrior for Religious Liberty
By Justin Walker

July 6, 2018 12:09 PM

A response to an anonymous post at the Federalist

In the past week, every serious, informed conservative who’s been asked about Judge Brett Kavanaugh has championed his unwavering conservative principles. See, for example, Ann Coulter, Laura Ingraham, Leonard Leo, Eugene Scalia, Matt Schlapp, J. D. Vance, and Ed Whelan.

But whereas these and countless more have been proud to put their names to endorsements of the unflappable conservativism of Brett Kavanaugh, yesterday a commentator at the Federalist website was unwilling to sign his or her name to a post accusing Judge Kavanaugh of having “a troubling record on religious liberty.” This anonymous critic charges that Judge Kavanaugh “doesn’t really fully understand religious liberty claims and the law and legal doctrine that support them” or “doesn’t really care, even when the law requires otherwise.” Those outrageous suggestions — that one of the most respected members of the federal bench is either ignorant or willfully lawless — discredit everything the author says and explain why the post was submitted anonymously.

Whether you agree with him or not — and many liberals do not — Judge Kavanaugh has been a steadfast and fearless supporter of religious liberty for decades. When he was in private practice in the 1990s, he chaired the Federalist Society’s Religious Liberty practice group and worked pro bono on cases defending religious freedom. He wrote pro bono amicus briefs defending religious believers in high-profile Supreme Court cases. He represented a synagogue pro bono in a local zoning dispute. He advocated for the selection of judges who protect religious liberty. And as a judge himself, his record of defending religious liberty is unparalleled. His dissenting opinion in Priests for Life v. HHS, where he concluded that the Obama administration’s contraceptive mandate violated the rights of religious organizations, was called “pure perfection” by one of the lawyers challenging the mandate.

Read more at: https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/07/judge-brett-kavanaugh-religious-liberty-warrior/