Author Topic: LIVE THREAD>>>SCOTUS Announcement  (Read 24134 times)

Online libertybele

Re: LIVE THREAD>>>SCOTUS Announcement
« Reply #375 on: July 10, 2018, 03:02:47 pm »
Santorum:
"Yeah, let's go get them"?  Sounds like (some) conservatives don't want a constitutionalist sitting on the bench for the next 30 years.  Sounds like they want an activist, for right now.  Damn it!

The question is; is he a constitutionalist?  He clerked under Kennedy and is a Bushy.  Anyway you look at that = moderate, which doesn't exactly scream constitutionalist, nor does it scream conservative.

Trump lost a ton of credibility on this one for me.  Appeasing the liberals, and the GOPe is what most of us who aren't exactly fond of Trump have feared.  If he's willing to compromise on this issue, I don't see a whole lot of hope going forward.  I now have great doubts about him again and I'm not so sure that my recent assessment of him has been accurate.  I thought Trump was leaning more conservatively, but it sure seems by this pick that he's comfortably settling in with the establishment.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #376 on: July 10, 2018, 03:03:41 pm »
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 03:04:47 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

« Reply #377 on: July 10, 2018, 03:07:42 pm »
Let's see some endorsements from people who DIDN'T endorse Trump in the primaries.

Here you go @jmyrlefuller   --

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,323860.0.html

« Reply #378 on: July 10, 2018, 03:10:07 pm »
The question is; is he a constitutionalist?  He clerked under Kennedy and is a Bushy.  Anyway you look at that = moderate, which doesn't exactly scream constitutionalist, nor does it scream conservative. 

A judicial constitutionalist is not the same animal as a conservative politician.

I'm surprised by how many don't seem to understand this. 

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #379 on: July 10, 2018, 03:14:34 pm »
Santorum:
"Yeah, let's go get them"?  Sounds like (some) conservatives don't want a constitutionalist sitting on the bench for the next 30 years.  Sounds like they want an activist, for right now.  Damn it!

Trump won a very close election because of a Supreme Court vacancy.  Moreover, conservatives wanted to replace judges like Kennedy with originalists.  That was part of the deal.  All of the other stuff they were willing to tolerate. 

You better hope this guy pans out.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #380 on: July 10, 2018, 03:17:20 pm »
Trump won a very close election because of a Supreme Court vacancy.  Moreover, conservatives wanted to replace judges like Kennedy with originalists.  That was part of the deal.  All of the other stuff they were willing to tolerate. 

Wow. He won the election because people wanted secured borders and other items like that.  All the naysayers can hope for is that this is a misstep.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #381 on: July 10, 2018, 03:17:27 pm »

QFT
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #382 on: July 10, 2018, 03:22:16 pm »

Trump lost a ton of credibility on this one for me.  Appeasing the liberals, and the GOPe is what most of us who aren't exactly fond of Trump have feared.  If he's willing to compromise on this issue, I don't see a whole lot of hope going forward.  I now have great doubts about him again and I'm not so sure that my recent assessment of him has been accurate.  I thought Trump was leaning more conservatively, but it sure seems by this pick that he's comfortably settling in with the establishment.

A Bushy and went to an Ivy League school.... yes, very elitist, let's see, are we talking about Kavanaugh or Ted Cruz? 

:bigsilly:
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 03:23:00 pm by TomSea »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #383 on: July 10, 2018, 03:26:48 pm »
A Bushy and went to an Ivy League school.... yes, very elitist, let's see, are we talking about Kavanaugh or Ted Cruz? 

Oh brother.  Here we go...
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #384 on: July 10, 2018, 03:27:04 pm »
Wow. He won the election because people wanted secured borders and other items like that.  All the naysayers can hope for is that this is a misstep.

It was 80,000 votes in three states.  Without Scalia's death, it doesn't happen. 

And you, of all people.  You accused TBR members of being pro-abort because they would not vote for Trump.  Do you remember that?  I sure as hell do.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #385 on: July 10, 2018, 03:29:16 pm »
It was 80,000 votes in three states.  Without Scalia's death, it doesn't happen. 

And you, of all people.  You accused TBR members of being pro-abort because they would not vote for Trump.  Do you remember that?  I sure as hell do.

He's still trying to insist Trump is "the most pro life president ever"...despite the fact he keeps fully funding Planned Parenthood.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #386 on: July 10, 2018, 03:53:04 pm »
John McCain
John McCain
@SenJohnMcCain
·
13h
Judge Brett Kavanaugh has impeccable credentials & a strong record of upholding the Constitution. He is widely respected as a fair, independent & mainstream judge. I look forward to the Senate moving forward with a fair & thorough confirmation process. (link: https://www.mccain.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/press-releases?ID=F1BDBD24-577D-4545-BCB5-825282D6A04C)
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #387 on: July 10, 2018, 03:56:00 pm »
John McCain
John McCain
@SenJohnMcCain
·
13h
Judge Brett Kavanaugh has impeccable credentials & a strong record of upholding the Constitution. He is widely respected as a fair, independent & mainstream judge. I look forward to the Senate moving forward with a fair & thorough confirmation process. (link: https://www.mccain.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/press-releases?ID=F1BDBD24-577D-4545-BCB5-825282D6A04C)

If he feels that way about it, show up or resign, so his seat has an actual vote.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #388 on: July 10, 2018, 03:56:58 pm »
John McCain
John McCain
@SenJohnMcCain
·
13h

**nononono*

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #389 on: July 10, 2018, 03:59:53 pm »
 :silly:

This is great, because this guy is not impeccably conservative the idiot screamers will screetch and screetch, and he won't be confirmed and his nomination will be delayed until maybe the Dems can actually block his nomination because they have captured the Senate.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #390 on: July 10, 2018, 04:21:28 pm »

If he feels that way about it, show up or resign, so his seat has an actual vote.

Agreed.  If McCain is the patriot he says he is, he'll resign so his successor can be appointed to vote on Judge Kavanaugh. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #391 on: July 10, 2018, 04:28:36 pm »

Lord have mercy, @libertybele   I don't know who you had your heart set on but Kavanaugh is a positive in every way.  He's a good man and that is paramount.  He's received accolades from many conservative groups.  I don't consider him a compromise. He's a fine choice and will prove to be someone we can all be proud of.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #392 on: July 10, 2018, 04:30:35 pm »

SHE better hope he pans out.  We all better hope that, and I see no reason to doubt it. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #393 on: July 10, 2018, 04:31:03 pm »
Lord have mercy, @libertybele   I don't know who you had your heart set on but Kavanaugh is a positive in every way.  He's a good man and that is paramount.  He's received accolades from many conservative groups.  I don't consider him a compromise. He's a fine choice and will prove to be someone we can all be proud of.

@Emjay, the problem is that there is plenty of reason to not trust a GOP pick to SCOTUS and few reasons to trust such a pick. 

None of us know how this will work out, but the pessimists are just being realistic and going by history, recent and long passed.

Online GrouchoTex

« Reply #394 on: July 10, 2018, 04:32:38 pm »

:facepalm2:

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #395 on: July 10, 2018, 04:35:16 pm »
A judicial constitutionalist is not the same animal as a conservative politician.

I'm surprised by how many don't seem to understand this.

@Right_in_Virginia   Why are we still surprised at the mindsets of some people here?  We should know by now that they will pounce on an nit yet to be picked.

I'm disappointed ... Anyone who uses the term 'Bushy' drops a notch in my estimation.  That George W. Bush likes this judge is far from being a negative.  Both men are personally likable which does not mean they agree on all political things.

Oh, well. trudge on, I guess.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #396 on: July 10, 2018, 04:36:29 pm »

I agree 100%, @Emjay     I think the problem is that too many conservatives speak with forked tongue when they claim what they want from a judge.  A Constitutionalist who calls balls and strikes will disappoint when it comes to the judicial activism that so many conservatives secretly want, though they dare not speak its name.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Applewood

« Reply #397 on: July 10, 2018, 04:44:39 pm »
Appeasing the liberals, and the GOPe is what most of us who aren't exactly fond of Trump have feared. 

Actually, it looks like the liberals, at least, have already found fault with Kavanaugh.  Hell, some of them were upset even before Trump announced his pick.  In any event, if Trump was trying to appease liberals, he fell short long before last night's announcement.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #398 on: July 10, 2018, 04:51:47 pm »
I agree 100%, @Emjay     I think the problem is that too many conservatives speak with forked tongue when they claim what they want from a judge.  A Constitutionalist who calls balls and strikes will disappoint when it comes to the judicial activism that so many conservatives secretly want, though they dare not speak its name.

All true, @Jazzhead   I guess some of the people who avowed that they wanted a Constitutionalist really wanted an activist who would do the things they wanted.  Sad.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #399 on: July 10, 2018, 04:52:20 pm »
Actually, it looks like the liberals, at least, have already found fault with Kavanaugh.  Hell, some of them were upset even before Trump announced his pick.  In any event, if Trump was trying to appease liberals, he fell short long before last night's announcement.

It seems as though the targeted liberals were Collins and Murkowski.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.