Author Topic: Border Patrol agents are stopping people on highways in New England to check their citizenship  (Read 2379 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Fox6 now June 24, 2018

LINCOLN, Maine — Far from ground zero in President Donald Trump’s administration’s crackdown on illegal immigration along the southern border, US Customs and Border Protection checkpoints on highways in Maine and New Hampshire are catching the eye of civil liberties groups.

On Interstate 95 near the remote northern Maine town of Lincoln this week, the Border Patrol said it made nine drug seizures and two arrests for immigration violations during an 11-hour checkpoint operation in which agents asked motorists about their place of birth and citizenship status.

The federal agency — one of several at the center of a growing humanitarian crisis involving 2,300 children separated from their parents at the Mexico border — said in a statement that Wednesday’s checkpoint in Maine was “a means of preventing smuggling organizations from exploiting existing transportation systems to travel to the interior of the United States.”

Customs and Border Protection says the US Supreme Court has affirmed the agency’s ability to ask motorists’ citizenship status, even if they have no suspicion. Agents use training and questions to make decisions about a traveler’s citizenship or residency, it said.

More: http://fox6now.com/2018/06/24/border-patrol-agents-are-stopping-people-on-highways-in-new-england-to-check-their-citizenship/

Offline thackney

At border crossings (also called "ports of entry"), federal authorities do not need a warrant or even suspicion of wrongdoing to justify conducting what courts have called a "routine search," such as searching luggage or a vehicle.

Even in places far removed from the border, deep into the interior of the country, immigration officials enjoy broad—though not limitless—powers. Specifically, federal regulations give U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) authority to operate within 100 miles of any U.S. "external boundary."

In this 100-mile zone, Border Patrol agents have certain additional authorities. For instance, Border Patrol can operate immigration checkpoints.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I never thought of the beach as a "border crossing"

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

It is.  They've been catching illegals up the SoCal coast.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline RoosGirl

Think Cubans floating in.

Offline skeeter

As long as SCOTUS gave them the go-ahead, this makes my day.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
How do you prove your citizenship?

Offline skeeter

Good point, since CA allows illegals a driver's license.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
The Canadian border is more tightly controlled.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
That's gotta be strange, you're driving along, and you get flashing lights (presumably) and you expect the local cops and nope, it's the border patrol and they want you to prove you're an American citizen.

Offline thackney

The Canadian border is more tightly controlled.

@roamer_1 would likely disagree with that statement, based on his recent discussion of going back and forth across that border without even knowing it.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
They have a brilliant method of determining who may not be citizens by looking for license plates that say 'Je me souviens.'
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline roamer_1

@roamer_1 would likely disagree with that statement, based on his recent discussion of going back and forth across that border without even knowing it.

Things may have changed somewhat @thackney ... That was before my illness, and sitting in a chair for 7 years... And 5 years have passed since I got back up.

I hear it's tighter now... at least for getting through checkpoints. I can't imagine it is much different in the bush though - Most of that land is on edge, and rough going.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

My Texas driver's license had always worked for me, the many times I've gone to Mexico.

Offline thackney

My Texas driver's license had always worked for me, the many times I've gone to Mexico.

Texas does not require you to be a citizen, nor do other states.  You can be a resident alien and get a drivers license.  In California, you can be an illegal alien and still get a drivers license.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
A lot of dope in the North East, good for the Border Patrol.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Repeat after me:

"Am I being detained? Am I free to go? I assert my Fifth Amendment rights not to answer any questions"

Offline ABX

But what if you aren't the driver but just a passenger? There is no law requiring you keep an ID on you or present it if you are not doing an activity that requires it.

Offline jpsb

Passport.
Picture ID, voter registration.
Picture ID, birth certificate.
Picture ID, naturalization papers.
Military ID. (not 100%, but pretty damn close)
Drivers License. (not 100%, but pretty damn close)
And I am sure there are other means.

Offline jpsb

There is no law requiring you keep an ID on you

Not true in Texas, and I suspect other states as well.

Offline ABX

Passport.
Picture ID, voter registration.
Picture ID, birth certificate.
Picture ID, naturalization papers.
Military ID. (not 100%, but pretty damn close)
Drivers License. (not 100%, but pretty damn close)
And I am sure there are other means.

People in the US who are not participating in an activity that requires those IDs (such as driving or entering a military base or airport) are not required to have any of those identification on their person. Just a passenger in a car, for example, is not required to have an ID on them.

Are we now suggesting we require all people within the US to have Identification Papers on them at all times and present them on demand?

Offline ABX

Not true in Texas, and I suspect other states as well.

I'm sure you are referring to a 'Terry Stop' and no, those don't require you have a physical ID or physical papers on you, only that you identify yourself. However, you can't be arrested or detained solely for failure to identify. You can only be arrested for failure to identify IF you are already being detained in the commission of a crime. The latter part is fairly loose in enforcement with cases like the Amanda Stephen case in Austin because she was being detained for Jay Walking already. But it can't be compelled if one is not already not being suspected or detained for a crime. (SCOTUS "Terry v Ohio").

Offline jpsb

People in the US who are not participating in an activity that requires those IDs (such as driving or entering a military base or airport) are not required to have any of those identification on their person. Just a passenger in a car, for example, is not required to have an ID on them.

Are we now suggesting we require all people within the US to have Identification Papers on them at all times and present them on demand?

As I have already said, Texas requires you to carry a picture ID at all times. And yes I think it is
time for nation ID card with a picture.  In case you have not notices we are having a nation
security crises at our southern border. We also need E-verify.

Online rustynail

Your papers please.

Offline jpsb

I'm sure you are referring to a 'Terry Stop' and no, those don't require you have a physical ID or physical papers on you, only that you identify yourself. However, you can't be arrested or detained solely for failure to identify. You can only be arrested for failure to identify IF you are already being detained in the commission of a crime. The latter part is fairly loose in enforcement with cases like the Amanda Stephen case in Austin because she was being detained for Jay Walking already. But it can't be compelled if one is not already not being suspected or detained for a crime. (SCOTUS "Terry v Ohio").

Well I guess the deputy lied to me. LOL, not the first time. I stand corrected on that, thanks.