Author Topic: Border Patrol agents are stopping people on highways in New England to check their citizenship  (Read 2378 times)

Offline jpsb

Your papers please.

Yes, when we have 10's of millions of illegal invaders and millions more coming. Hell yes.

Silver Pines

But what if you aren't the driver but just a passenger? There is no law requiring you keep an ID on you or present it if you are not doing an activity that requires it.

@AbaraXas

If a cop can't tell I'm American by my accent, then seeya.  He can shoot my tires out if he's stupid enough to try.

Offline thackney

As I have already said, Texas requires you to carry a picture ID at all times. And yes I think it is
time for nation ID card with a picture.  In case you have not notices we are having a nation
security crises at our southern border. We also need E-verify.

@jpsb

False.  You are required to have an ID when engaged in a "privilege" like driving on a public road.

When You Must I.D. In Texas
https://blog.uslawshield.com/when-you-must-id-in-texas/

...Let’s look at a hypothetical scenario:

David the Driver is riding around with his buddy, Patrick the Passenger. David has a bit of a lead foot, and is cruising at 60mph down a 35mph street. David and Patrick see flashing blue lights behind them, and a peace officer is quickly at David’s window, asking for David’s license and insurance information.

Does David have to present his ID? Yes! He his driving, and he has to show his Driver’s License to the officer. Further, if David holds a License to Carry and is carrying a handgun, he must present his license to carry as well.

What about Patrick? Is he under the same obligation to ID to the officer as David? No! Because Patrick is not under arrest (the legal requirement), and he is not exercising a privilege that requires a license (Patrick is just along for the ride), he is under no legal obligation to present his ID to the officer, or to provide him with any identifying information. He can refuse to answer the officer’s questions without fear of committing a criminal act. However, even though Patrick is not required to ID himself, he is still under an obligation to be truthful if he chooses to respond. Let’s go back to the hypothetical scenario:

The officer shines his flashlight in Patrick’s face and says “Hey fella, give me your name and ID.” Patrick, knowing that because he is a passenger he does not have to give his name, says “Sure, my name is Larry the Liar.”

If Patrick had just refused to give his name, he would have been completely within his rights. But, by giving a false name, Patrick has just broken the law! It is a Class B misdemeanor in Texas to intentionally give a false or fictitious name to a peace officer if you are 1) under arrest; 2) being detained; or 3) the peace officer has good cause to believe you are a witness to a crime....

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
As I have already said, Texas requires you to carry a picture ID at all times. And yes I think it is
time for nation ID card with a picture.  In case you have not notices we are having a nation
security crises at our southern border. We also need E-verify.

That's actually a common misunderstanding. It goes back to identification laws. Tex. Pen. Code Ann. § 38.02. you are not required to have an identification on you at all times. You are only required to truthfully identify yourself if you are being detained or charged in the commission of a crime or doing another activity that requires an identification. If I am hiking in my neighborhood or mowing my lawn, I am not required to have an ID on me. If I am a passenger in a car, I am not required to have an ID. I am only required to identify myself (a physical ID card isn't required) IF I am being detained for a crime (even a misdemeanor) such as jay walking.

Offline jpsb

That's actually a common misunderstanding. It goes back to identification laws. Tex. Pen. Code Ann. § 38.02. you are not required to have an identification on you at all times. You are only required to truthfully identify yourself if you are being detained or charged in the commission of a crime or doing another activity that requires an identification. If I am hiking in my neighborhood or mowing my lawn, I am not required to have an ID on me. If I am a passenger in a car, I am not required to have an ID. I am only required to identify myself (a physical ID card isn't required) IF I am being detained for a crime (even a misdemeanor) such as jay walking.

@thackney @AbaraXas
Yes I looked up that law and already thanked you  once you for the correction. One thank you is all you
are going to get from me. :)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 03:42:27 pm by jpsb »

Offline rustynail

Riding in cars is a privilege and should be licensed as such. (?)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
@AbaraXas

If a cop can't tell I'm American by my accent, then seeya.  He can shoot my tires out if he's stupid enough to try.

Border Patrol aren't cops. Only one state gives feds full peace officer status, Rhode Island.

And is this the hill you choose to die on?

Silver Pines

Border Patrol aren't cops. Only one state gives feds full peace officer status, Rhode Island.

And is this the hill you choose to die on?

@Elderberry

My mistake; I meant Border Patrol.

I don't see how it's choosing to die on any hill.  I'm saying I'm not going to be the ninety year old lady at the airport who gets searched when I'm obviously not the problem.

Offline libertybele

Good point, since CA allows illegals a driver's license.

Here in FL we have to jump through hoops to renew or obtain a driver's license.  To renew I had to show proof of residency, proof of citizenship (certified birth certificate), marriage license, and proof of insurance.  The license is considered "Real ID Compliant".  I'm not sure how many states are still non-compliant.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline thackney

Here in FL we have to jump through hoops to renew or obtain a driver's license.  To renew I had to show proof of residency, proof of citizenship (certified birth certificate), marriage license, and proof of insurance.  The license is considered "Real ID Compliant".  I'm not sure how many states are still non-compliant.

19 states are not yet compliant but operating under an extension.

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 06:06:24 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

I had to go through a similar process in KS.  Their voter registration was challenged by a federal judge and will probably make its way to SCOTUS.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

I believe just about 5. I have a couple of coworkers in Pennsylvania who have to use their passport to board domestic flights.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Think Cubans floating in.
Yup, but until they step on dry land they got nothin.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Good point, since CA allows illegals a driver's license.
@skeeter
As of May 2017, twelve states (California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah, Vermont, and Washington), the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico have laws in their books that allow Illegal immigrants to obtain a driver's license or some type of driving permit.

We are far from being alone with that in CA. We just have more liberals per capita, apparently.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 08:39:14 pm by GtHawk »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
jpsb wrote:
"And yes I think it is time for nation ID card with a picture.  In case you have not notices we are having a nation security crises at our southern border."

If that's what it takes to get the illegal crisis in this country back under control, I'd support it, too.

This is a matter of national survial.
Whatever... works.
I can sleep at night with that.

And I'm not going to be worried if you can't...  ;)