Author Topic: Trump Signals Support For Legislation Easing US Ban On Pot  (Read 10698 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Trump Signals Support For Legislation Easing US Ban On Pot
« on: June 08, 2018, 10:33:24 pm »
Associated Press June 8, 2018

LOS ANGELES (AP) — President Donald Trump said Friday that he's inclined to support a bipartisan effort in Congress to ease the U.S. ban on marijuana, a proposal that would dramatically reshape the nation's legal landscape for pot users and businesses.

The federal ban that puts marijuana on the same level as LSD and heroin has created a conflict with more than two dozen states that have legalized pot in some form, creating a two-tiered enforcement system where cannabis can be both legal and not.

The legislation would ensure states have the right to determine the best approach to marijuana within their borders, but some U.S. restrictions would remain, including recreational sales to people under 21.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-signals-support-legislation-easing-193554028.html?.tsrc=bell-brknews
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Re: Trump Signals Support For Legislation Easing US Ban On Pot
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 10:45:51 pm »
Sessions will pitch a fit about this.  Maybe he'll ever resign!   
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 10:53:33 pm »

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 02:45:52 am »
Trump is right on this.  Pot should be legal nationally.  There is so much misinformation about it.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 01:10:13 pm »

Many millennials complain that they were lied to...nobody's giving them drugs for free.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 01:16:29 pm »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 01:32:18 pm »
Trump is right on this.  Pot should be legal nationally.  There is so much misinformation about it.
@Emjay

I’m always very torn on this subject.  My libertarian leanings make me say that it should be legalized and, in truth, there is little difference between pot and alcohol. However, I do firmly believe that it IS a gateway to much more destructive substances.  But, here’s the rub:  is it a gateway solely BECAUSE it is currently illegal (once you choose to cross the illegal line, there’s far less personal inhibition to do so with the stronger stuff) or is it a gateway because users begin to seek a “better” high?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 01:32:58 pm by Axeslinger »
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 02:59:59 pm »
@Emjay

I’m always very torn on this subject.  My libertarian leanings make me say that it should be legalized and, in truth, there is little difference between pot and alcohol. However, I do firmly believe that it IS a gateway to much more destructive substances.  But, here’s the rub:  is it a gateway solely BECAUSE it is currently illegal (once you choose to cross the illegal line, there’s far less personal inhibition to do so with the stronger stuff) or is it a gateway because users begin to seek a “better” high?

Everything is essentially a "gateway". Booze is clearly a gateway drug. Cigarettes as well. How about power drinks with oodles of caffeine and herbal mixes...I'd say they qualify. My point is, down that gateway path is a neverending ban of relatively harmless substances...I think in this case you should trust your libertarian leanings. Further, I think what's being contemplated is to simply let each state make its own choice...thus allowing for local culture and consideration to have a say...rather than Federal legalization.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 09:23:06 pm by Mesaclone »
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2018, 03:10:16 pm »
. Further, I think what's being complicates is to simply let each state make its own choice...thus allowing for local culture and consideration to have a say...rather than Federal legalization.

I understand.  But rather than being a complication, I see it as a positive.  Less fed involvement in anything is a plus.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2018, 03:16:27 pm »
I understand.  But rather than being a complication, I see it as a positive.  Less fed involvement in anything is a plus.

IMO, this is merely the 'Papal Blessing' by the Chief Executive in Washington.

But, it also signals both the NFL knee-takers with complaints and supporters of Kanye West and Kim Kardashian that it's true... 'The Dark Side' does indeed, have cookies.

Think about President Trump pardoning thousands upon thousands of people incarcerated for marijuana possession/use. 

Poor Democrats...don't know if they should sh*t or go blind.   :laugh:
MAGA!!!!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 03:17:25 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2018, 05:09:22 pm »
@Emjay

Here in Washington there was the push on how pot would benefit the state in taxes.  I don't know what they are doing with it because they keep asking for more money from property tax.  I do know that people are openly baked all the time.  Driving baked too. 

Pot can be good or bad, but it isn't good for your lungs if you are smoking it all day.  The oil can be benefit people who have health issue.  Salves, oils and smoking for some people to relieve health issues.  It really is no different though than alcohol.  People drive drunk or stoned. 
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2018, 05:20:06 pm »
@Emjay

It's not totally a matter of libertarian leanings, it's just common sense.  Alcohol is much more addictive and much more harmful. 

Marijuana is not nearly as harmful as many prescriptions drugs taken to ease pain or nervousness when pot could do the job with far less harm.

The general sentiment is for legalizing pot and it is legal in many states now.  My daughter-in-law in Colorado used it to ease her pain during a hip replacement.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2018, 05:24:19 pm »
It's not totally a matter of libertarian leanings, it's just common sense.  Alcohol is much more addictive and much more harmful. 

Marijuana is not nearly as harmful as many prescriptions drugs taken to ease pain or nervousness when pot could do the job with far less harm.

The general sentiment is for legalizing pot and it is legal in many states now.  My daughter-in-law in Colorado used it to ease her pain during a hip replacement.

Not totally without harm.  Have seen it some as a brain-number and a huge de-motivator.  So yeah, it may be less harmful than booze, but do we really need to normalize or make socially acceptable another vice?

For medical use, yeah...fully agree.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 05:25:28 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2018, 05:25:19 pm »
Everything is essentially a "gateway". Booze is clearly a gateway drug. Cigarettes as well. How about power drinks with oodles of caffeine and herbal mixes...I'd say they qualify. My point is, down that gateway path is a neverending ban of relatively harmless substances...I think in this case you should trust your libertarian leanings. Further, I think what's being complicates is to simply let each state make its own choice...thus allowing for local culture and consideration to have a say...rather than Federal legalization.

I disagree with you for once @Mesaclone   This state to state thing always causes troubles.  People will drive over state lines to get pot which could lead to legal complications.

Most people are not addictive personalities, but for those who are, anything can be addictive.  Pot is probably the safest thing to be addicted to other than chocolate.

Offline darroll

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2018, 05:27:37 pm »
Here in Washington there was the push on how pot would benefit the state in taxes.  I don't know what they are doing with it because they keep asking for more money from property tax.  I do know that people are openly baked all the time.  Driving baked too. 

Pot can be good or bad, but it isn't good for your lungs if you are smoking it all day.  The oil can be benefit people who have health issue.  Salves, oils and smoking for some people to relieve health issues.  It really is no different though than alcohol.  People drive drunk or stoned.
:amen:

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2018, 05:28:12 pm »
Not totally without harm.  Have seen it some as a brain-number and a huge de-motivator.  So yeah, it may be less harmful than booze, but do we really need to normalize or make socially acceptable another vice?

For medical use, yeah...fully agree.

You're kinda contradicting yourself.  By your reasoning we should go back to prohibition.  Marijuana is a plant that provides certain soothing and healing qualities.

If we're gonna worry about something, let's worry about something that's actually killing people, like the over prescribing of prescription opiates.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2018, 05:31:30 pm »
You're kinda contradicting yourself.  By your reasoning we should go back to prohibition.  Marijuana is a plant that provides certain soothing and healing qualities.

If we're gonna worry about something, let's worry about something that's actually killing people, like the over prescribing of prescription opiates.

How am I contradicting myself?  Valid Medical use- good.  Recreational use- bad.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2018, 05:33:20 pm »
Good move by Trump. No one cares about this shit anymore other than Dopey Sessions.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2018, 05:35:17 pm »
How am I contradicting myself?  Valid Medical use- good.  Recreational use- bad.

@catfish1957 Because you admit that Marijuana is not as harmful as alcohol and yet think it should be forbidden.  Or at least I think that's what you said.

The medical thing can quickly become another unnecessary scam.  Example: here in Hawaii, pot is not legal but you can go to a doctor and for eighty or so bucks get a prescription.  Everybody's back hurts.  I know mine does. 

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2018, 05:43:27 pm »
Marijuana is a plant that provides certain soothing and healing qualities.

It is an unpredictable drug as most drugs are. In my case, I tried pot in college, it was from my cousin (same bag he smoked so it wasn't laced with something). Lets just say it didn't have the results you suggested. I never tried another drug. I don't want someone that smokes it driving a Hyster beside me at work. It should never be legalized in my opinion.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2018, 05:43:35 pm »
@catfish1957 Because you admit that Marijuana is not as harmful as alcohol and yet think it should be forbidden.  Or at least I think that's what you said.

The medical thing can quickly become another unnecessary scam.  Example: here in Hawaii, pot is not legal but you can go to a doctor and for eighty or so bucks get a prescription.  Everybody's back hurts.  I know mine does.

Here's the way I view it.  I feel it should be fully decriminalized, but stay illegal.  Make it an infraction something like a speeding ticket.

Again....

(1) Does society need another socially acceptable vice?  Again, a one with side effects like forgetfullness, and de-motivation
(2) 15+ years ago, we only had to worry about drunks,  Since 15 ...add electronic device junkie drivers....   Now do we need to add legally using stoners to that list??

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2018, 05:46:49 pm »
It is an unpredictable drug as most drugs are.

No. It's a pretty damn predictable drug.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2018, 05:47:01 pm »
It is an unpredictable drug as most drugs are. In my case, I tried pot in college, it was from my cousin (same bag he smoked so it wasn't laced with something). Lets just say it didn't have the results you suggested. I never tried another drug. I don't want someone that smokes it driving a Hyster beside me at work. It should never be legalized in my opinion.

Things affect people differently.  I would guess that 90% or more of people who smoke or use pot do not have bad side effects.

Why do you want to subject the entire population to a law because you had a bad experience. 

Anyway, it's gonna be legal in a couple of years whether you like it or not and I think Trump is right about this.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2018, 06:19:40 pm »
Anyway, it's gonna be legal in a couple of years whether you like it or not and I think Trump is right about this.

Bottom line. 

More and more states are legalizing it, and that means eventually more Representatives and Senators are going to find themselves at the business end of a voter revolt if they don't pay attention to what their states are doing back home.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: