Author Topic: Los Angeles painting city streets white in bid to combat climate change  (Read 2181 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: FOX NEWS

URL: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/10/los-angeles-painting-city-streets-white-in-bid-to-combat-climate-change.html

California officials are hoping their latest attempt to stem the rising tides of climate change leads to a more socially conscious -- and cooler -- summer.

Officials in Los Angeles have been painting streets white to reduce the effect of urban "heat islands" and combat the effects of climate change.

The LA Street Services began rolling out the project last May, which preliminary testing shows has reduced the temperature of roadways by up to 10 degrees. The project involves applying a light gray coating of the product CoolSeal, made by the company GuardTop.

"CoolSeal is applied like conventional sealcoats to asphalt surfaces to protect and maintain the quality and longevity of the surface," according to the company website. "While most cool pavements on the market are polymer based, CoolSeal is a water-based, asphalt emulsion."

While each coasting could can last up to seven years, they are also pricey, with the estimated cost of $40,000 per mile, the L.A. Daily News reported.

CoolSeal does pass the California skid test in addition to the slip test for wet traction, and is applied in two coats, each 50 microns thick, over an asphalt roadway or a slurry-sealed asphalt roadway, according to the streets department.

(EXCERPT) CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST....

Offline SirLinksALot

Each coating of CoolSeal is estimated to cost $40,000 a mile, city officials told the LA Daily News.  (LA Street Services)

The sealant has reduced roadway temperatures by up to 10 degrees in testing.  (LA Street Services)

Offline SirLinksALot

Painting streets white to reduce the effect of urban "heat islands.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Lots of spending of taxpayer money, little facts or science.

Yep, smells like government.
The Republic is lost.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...

Painting streets white to reduce the effect of urban "heat islands.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Tahts rassis.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online mountaineer

Kids will be laying rubber, doing donuts in no time. It's like a blank canvas for car tire art.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline DB

Kids will be laying rubber, doing donuts in no time. It's like a blank canvas for car tire art.

The Top Gear guys got pretty good at that...

Offline DB

I wonder how slick it is when wet???

Or how about a little oil...

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
We will never hear about it, but traffic accidents are going to skyrocket on these roads because drivers will be disoriented by white roads which they are not used to. Especially if they are high or drunk. They will think they have crossed into a different dimension.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online mountaineer

Re: Los Angeles painting city streets white in bid to combat climate change
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 11:35:38 pm »
I suspect there will be quite a bit of glare in that L.A. sunshine, too.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 11:58:37 pm »
 :facepalm2:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 12:04:17 am »
I suspect there will be quite a bit of glare in that L.A. sunshine, too.

That is my criticism.  I live in one of those "bright sunshine" places, like LA, and this seems really stupid.  Imagine turning on to one of these streets, a half-hour before sundown or after sunrise.  I can barely see the streets right now.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2018, 03:04:10 am »
In the unlikely event it snows, then what?  (If you're from North Dakota, that's one of the first things you think of.( That's street is going to be blindingly bright on a sunny day, too.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2018, 04:06:14 am »
Soooo......these Cali clowns think that this going to something for the environment? Any minuscule environmental effect is erased 6 times over by all the gas and oil products used to make and apply it. Beyond that, do these simpletons not know what is going to be happening on this surface that will be blackening it in a week?

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2018, 12:34:41 pm »
Soooo......these Cali clowns think that this going to something for the environment? Any minuscule environmental effect is erased 6 times over by all the gas and oil products used to make and apply it. Beyond that, do these simpletons not know what is going to be happening on this surface that will be blackening it in a week?

Just Gubmint putting more money in someone's pocket, Frank.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2018, 01:13:04 pm »

That looks suspiciously like a Full Employment Act for unionized California state transportation department workers, local police department road details, and state inspectors. 

And it will be repeated every couple of years, once the combination of tire tread residue, heat, airborne ash, acidic rainwater and smog conspire to darken it once more. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2018, 01:25:15 pm »
Obviously the result of a brilliant study performed at a California University with a state grant.

I wonder who owns CoolSeal anyway?  Jerry Brown?

And runnning the numbers here:  $40,000 for a mile of streets that lasts only 7 years, so almost $6,000 per year per mile.
This earlier article http://nationalpost.com/news/world/l-a-is-coating-its-streets-with-material-that-hides-planes-from-spy-satellites-to-fight-climate-change
says LA is assessing to cover 1/3 of the city's 69,000 blocks of asphalt streets with this material as it "might be able to move the needle on the city’s temperature."

That would be 23,000 blocks or maybe 2,000 miles of roads.  At $6k per mile, that would be a permanent increase on roads of $12,000,000 per year, every year.

A lot of money spent on nothing but wishing.

Somebody is making a bundle of money here.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2018, 01:43:01 pm »
Cool Seal is Part of Western Emulsions which is owned by Idaho Asphalt Supply which id run by President and CEO Kevin M. Trant and CFO Mark Happ, Western Emulsions was founded by the Koleas family in 1977 in Tucson AZ.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/idaho-asphalt-supply-acquires-western-130000329.html
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2018, 05:42:32 pm »
Obviously the result of a brilliant study performed at a California University with a state grant.

I wonder who owns CoolSeal anyway?  Jerry Brown?

And runnning the numbers here:  $40,000 for a mile of streets that lasts only 7 years, so almost $6,000 per year per mile.
This earlier article http://nationalpost.com/news/world/l-a-is-coating-its-streets-with-material-that-hides-planes-from-spy-satellites-to-fight-climate-change
says LA is assessing to cover 1/3 of the city's 69,000 blocks of asphalt streets with this material as it "might be able to move the needle on the city’s temperature."

That would be 23,000 blocks or maybe 2,000 miles of roads.  At $6k per mile, that would be a permanent increase on roads of $12,000,000 per year, every year.

A lot of money spent on nothing but wishing.

Somebody is making a bundle of money here.
Oh, Yeah.

I wonder what color the new lane lines will be? White won't cut it, and yellow won't have enough contrast. Maybe a nice, reflective black?  **nononono*

C S Lewis

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2018, 05:45:24 pm »
Los Angeles painting city streets white

...They're painting their passports brown....

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2018, 05:56:42 pm »
Los Angeles painting city streets white

...They're painting their passports brown....

Just let Mexico have it and get it over with.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2018, 06:05:56 pm »
Just let Mexico have it and get it over with.
@dfwgator
That is a very good point I had never thought of before. If Mexico were in control of California, there is a very strong chance that they would be much more reasonable than the Californians who are there now.

The Mexican government is as corrupt as all Latin American countries are, but they are not suicidal and they are not loony-toons like the California government is now. Mexico wouldn't let rapist, gang-members, and murderers run free no matter what 'race' they are.

Formally giving California to Mexico is a valid idea that is worth consideration. After all, there is nothing to lose. California has already more or less declared itself as independent of U.S. law. So YES, let Mexico have it. Just one less thing the rest of us have to deal with.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2018, 06:08:55 pm »
$40,000/mile?  Can't believe they don't rip all the asphalt roads out and replace them with concrete.  Bunch of pikers.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2018, 06:17:05 pm »
$40,000/mile?  Can't believe they don't rip all the asphalt roads out and replace them with concrete.  Bunch of pikers.
But, Roos, that would make sense. Concrete is pretty darned durable compared to mere asphalt, too.

C S Lewis