Author Topic: Los Angeles painting city streets white in bid to combat climate change  (Read 2180 times)

Online DB

Re: Los Angeles painting city streets white in bid to combat climate change
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2018, 06:26:14 pm »
$40,000/mile?  Can't believe they don't rip all the asphalt roads out and replace them with concrete.  Bunch of pikers.

Many of California's concrete roads are being ripped out and replaced with asphalt. Concrete has major problems long term where the sections join together (expansion joints). With heavy trucks the individual sections tilt causing a very bumpy transition between segments. The concrete has to be ground down to level them out on a regular basis which is expensive.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2018, 06:31:09 pm »
Many of California's concrete roads are being ripped out and replaced with asphalt. Concrete has major problems long term where the sections join together (expansion joints). With heavy trucks the individual sections tilt causing a very bumpy transition between segments. The concrete has to be ground down to level them out on a regular basis which is expensive.

The land in California is generally unstable and moves. Earthquakes, tectonic movement, floods and mudslides. All of this is not conducive to concrete roads due to how brittle and unforgiving they are.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2018, 06:43:29 pm »
The land in California is generally unstable and moves. Earthquakes, tectonic movement, floods and mudslides. All of this is not conducive to concrete roads due to how brittle and unforgiving they are.

Que?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2018, 06:47:02 pm »

The land doesn't have to move for concrete to be a problem in the kind of heat LA and Phoenix get.  Concrete is not, as a general rule, very durable because it's so rigid.  The best stuff is the "rubberized" asphalt, containing recycles tires.  Quieter, too.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2018, 08:05:48 pm »
$40,000/mile?  Can't believe they don't rip all the asphalt roads out and replace them with concrete.  Bunch of pikers.
I bet buried in the federal budget there are grants to California doing this in the name of 'the environment', so us taxpayers are likely taking it on the chin
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2018, 08:18:47 pm »
I bet buried in the federal budget there are grants to California doing this in the name of 'the environment', so us taxpayers are likely taking it on the chin
So let's say, for a moment, this works, and it eliminates that hotspot over the towns. If it is really as effective as all that, won't that affect the updraft over town, drawing in fresh air from the outlying areas. Will smog make a comeback? Will air quality decrease?

:pop41:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online DB

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2018, 08:25:55 pm »
So let's say, for a moment, this works, and it eliminates that hotspot over the towns. If it is really as effective as all that, won't that affect the updraft over town, drawing in fresh air from the outlying areas. Will smog make a comeback? Will air quality decrease?

:pop41:

I wonder what self driving cars will do on that...

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2018, 08:28:49 pm »
I wonder what self driving cars will do on that...
Abbot and Costello would have had fun....

"And just take White Street."

"Waitaminit, which white street? They're all white!"

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online DB

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2018, 08:32:29 pm »
Give it a year and they'll be paying $100,000 a mile to remove it...

Offline thackney

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2018, 08:33:58 pm »
Give it a year and they'll be paying $100,000 a mile to remove it...

I figured it would be a never ending work program to clean them.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2018, 07:01:30 pm »
So what color will the center lines be, and how will they get passed all the DOT regulations to opt for alternative standards?     
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2018, 07:15:04 pm »
I figured it would be a never ending work program to clean them.

"What's your dirt doin' in Boss Keene's Ditch?"

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2018, 07:23:18 pm »
Making a right only to wind up on a white road with black stripes would actually be an alternate universe. I would have to pull over for a minute to make sure that I didn't turn into a parking lot, or something. I would have to pull over just to make sure that what I am seeing is real, and to orient myself to it.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline thackney

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2018, 07:27:08 pm »
Making a right only to wind up on a white road with black stripes would actually be an alternate universe. I would have to pull over for a minute to make sure that I didn't turn into a parking lot, or something. I would have to pull over just to make sure that what I am seeing is real, and to orient myself to it.

It won't be black stripes.  This is a climate change issue.  Those stripes are going to be green.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2018, 07:28:52 pm »
It won't be black stripes.  This is a climate change issue.  Those stripes are going to be green.
Nah. Make 'em brown, after the Governor....(and the other 'skidmarks').

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2018, 10:52:14 pm »
How will all the self-driving cars handle the white streets?

Doesn't an important part of their technology depend on the white lines on the pavement?

How will they work with "white-on-white"?
Or even, yellow-on-white?