Author Topic: Lawyer Linked To Ex-Trump Campaign Chairman Sentenced To 30 Days In Jail  (Read 944 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Dutch son-in-law of one of Russia's richest men was sentenced on Tuesday to 30 days in prison and a $20,000 fine for lying to Special Counsel Robert Mueller's investigators about contacts with an official in President Donald Trump's 2016 campaign.

Alex van der Zwaan, a lawyer who once worked closely with Trump's former campaign chairman Paul Manafort, was also sentenced to two months of supervised release. He had pleaded guilty on Feb. 20 as Mueller intensified his investigation into potential collusion between the president's campaign and Russia.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/lawyer-linked-ex-trump-campaign-chairman-sentenced-30-155015779.html
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 04:08:00 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline dfwgator

"30 Days in the Hole"

Offline edpc

Prosecuting van der Zwaan was more likely intended to send a message that Mueller's team would move aggressively against anyone who tried to obstruct their investigation rather than to enlist van der Zwaan's help. The terms of his plea did not require him to cooperate with the prosecutors.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justice-department/attorney-alex-van-der-zwaan-first-person-sentenced-mueller-probe-n862186

Offline Fantom

LOL, a parking ticket with no underlying crime, on a nobody......  :shrug:
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

I believe this conviction number 5 right?

Michael Flynn
Richard Gates
George Papadopoulos
Richard Pinedo
Alex van der Zwaan

Offline edpc

I believe this conviction number 5 right?

Michael Flynn
Richard Gates
George Papadopoulos
Richard Pinedo
Alex van der Zwaan

It's the first actual sentencing.  The others have entered pleas, but keep having sentencing dates moved for different reasons.

It's the first actual sentencing.  The others have entered pleas, but keep having sentencing dates moved for different reasons.
You are correct thank you for pointing out that distinction.

Offline Frank Cannon

LOL, a parking ticket with no underlying crime, on a nobody......  :shrug:

Yeah. At this rate Mueller will have moved up the food chain to people in the administration that short changed on tipping their waitress sometime around 2029.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Yeah. At this rate Mueller will have moved up the food chain to people in the administration that short changed on tipping their waitress sometime around 2029.

And it appears the members of the #nevertrump faction will arise everyday in hopes of finding every such instance, as if it is the most imortant thing in their lives.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

In pleading guilty, van der Zwaan admitted that he withheld and deleted emails, and also that he lied to FBI agents about previous communications with Manafort protege Gates and a person who worked for Manafort in Ukraine identified as "Person A."

Seems like a light sentence for what he admitted to.

Offline edpc

The plea deal he reached was over his initial false statement.  The guidelines for that fall between zero and six months jail time.  He basically received the middle ground, with one month in jail and two more under supervised release. As the article says, he really was not a main target, but an example to those who also may be called to make statements.

Offline Frank Cannon

There are lighter sentences for that.....

The plea deal he reached was over his initial false statement.  The guidelines for that fall between zero and six months jail time.  He basically received the middle ground, with one month in jail and two more under supervised release. As the article says, he really was not a main target, but an example to those who also may be called to make statements.

Thanx again for solid analysis.

Offline edpc

Thanx again for solid analysis.

Sure, but all I'm doing is reading news reports from various sources.  Every organization has their own agenda, so I read a lot of them skeptically and try to discern what's true.    :shrug:

Incidentally, this guy's sentence shouldn't be immediately dismissed.  The fine and jail time is small, but the man is a convicted felon who will lose his law license.  Once his sentence is complete, he'll likely be deported and have the felony conviction on any future visa application. 

Mueller had no further interest in this guy from a cooperation standpoint and he did not push for specific punishment.  However, he serves as an example to others with pending sentencing and those yet to be interviewed.  Mueller will take an interest in their sentencing, especially if he has evidence they may have information, but refuse to cooperate.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 06:25:08 am by edpc »