Author Topic: Did Trump Just Hint at Building the Border Wall Using the Military?  (Read 4005 times)

Offline mrclose

One of our mods is welcome to shorten this if needed.

President Donald Trump briefly threatened to veto a giant spending bill on Friday and then reluctantly signed it to keep the military funded.

The lack of funding for a border wall with Mexico is likely one of the president’s biggest frustrations. Trump mentioned the wall when he threatened to veto the bill. The $1.3 trillion budget includes just $1.6 billion for wall construction along the southern border, far short of the $25 billion needed to accomplish Trump’s signature campaign promise.

To make matters worse, the spending bill specifically prohibits Trump from building the kind of wall he wants. The president nevertheless celebrated the progress and pointed out that construction can begin immediately.

But Trump also dropped an eyebrow-raising hint that he could take an unprecedented option and build the wall using the enormous military budget.

“I want to address the situation on border security, which I call national defense,” Trump said. “I call it stopping drugs from pouring across our border. And I call it illegal immigration. It’s all of those things. But national defense is a very important two words. Because by having a strong border system, including a wall, we are in a position, militarily, that is very advantageous.”

For the first time, Trump underlined the significance of the barrier as a military structure and a matter of national defense. Up to now, the president promoted the wall as a way to curtail illegal immigration and stop the deadly flood of illicit drugs. The introduction of the wall’s military function is significant, especially in terms of funding it.

Roughly half of the spending bill is dedicated to the military for a total of over $654 billion allotted to the Pentagon’s base budget and overseas counterinsurgency operations. That’s enough to build the wall 26 times.

Immediately after he alluded to the wall’s military function, Trump called upon Gen. James Mattis to comment on the newly secured military budget.

“In 1790, in George Washington’s first annual address to Congress, he stated, to be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving the peace,” Mattis said. “Now, it’s our responsibility in the military to spend every dollar wisely in order to keep the trust and the confidence of the American people and the Congress.”

The general’s mention of “spending every dollar wisely” stood out in particular because the military would have to secure just 3.8 percent in cost savings in order to fund the wall construction.

Considering how urgently Trump wants to build the wall, it’s a surprise he didn’t float the military option earlier. As commander in chief, he has ultimate power over the military. Each branch of the armed forces has a construction division. The Army Corps of Engineers alone employs 37,000 people who specialize in building critical infrastructure.

It’s hard to argue against the barrier’s military significance. Iran’s terror proxy, Hezbollah, has built up an alarming presence in South America. As Trump ramps up pressure on the Iranian regime, the threat of commandos crossing the border on a suicide mission to cause mass civilian casualties is real.

Meanwhile, illegal drugs flooding into the country via the Mexican border are resulting in a tragic loss of life. Fentanyl, a commonly trafficked drug, was responsible for 20,000 American deaths in 2016.

America lost 4,491 troops during the entire eight years of the war in Iraq, which cost the United States up to $6 trillion. In comparison, erecting a wall that can help reduce the staggering loss of life from the drug epidemic is well worth 3.8 percent of the military budget.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/did-trump-just-hint-at-building-the-border-wall-using-the-military_2474846.html

"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline Fantom

Re: Did Trump Just Hint at Building the Border Wall Using the Military?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 11:54:34 pm »

Certainly sounds good to me.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Optiguy

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 12:22:02 am »
The military? Last I heard, it was gonna be Mexico.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 12:27:00 am »
If true... No..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Fantom

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 12:30:39 am »
If true... No..

Why not?  The Corp of Engineers would be Ideally suited for such.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline endicom

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 12:39:39 am »

Combat Engineers. They'll just do it.

Offline mrclose

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 12:45:10 am »
Building a Wall in the Dark

Congress is using budget shenanigans to funnel Pentagon money to President Trump’s border wall.

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/economic-intelligence/articles/2017-07-19/congress-slyly-diverts-pentagon-money-to-fund-donald-trumps-border-wall
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 12:45:47 am by mrclose »
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline Fantom

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 12:47:03 am »

Combat Engineers. They'll just do it.

As long as it gets done. And yes, combat engineers would be better.

I cast my gaze above my computer. My Grandpa is looking at me from his Company photo, front rank of five...before deploying in WW I... combat engineers.

Yes , they get it done... maybe a new SeaBee like group could be mobilized as well.

Frederick Douglass

Offline the_doc

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 01:02:58 am »

Shortly after Trump signed the Omni-Bust, Qanon (who is clearly a leaker authorized by the White House), posted a cryptic tweet:  Red_Castle, Green_Castle

Go figure.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 01:03:14 am by the_doc »

Offline endicom

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 01:29:51 am »

As long as it gets done. And yes, combat engineers would be better.

I cast my gaze above my computer. My Grandpa is looking at me from his Company photo, front rank of five...before deploying in WW I... combat engineers.

Yes , they get it done... maybe a new SeaBee like group could be mobilized as well.

After my post I did a search and discovered that my CO in Vietnam retired as a Brigadier General. It's amazing what you can learn on this here internet.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 08:13:48 am »
I love hints.  Hints are the best way to enforce policy.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 01:05:15 pm »
@mrclose

President Trump hints he may use Defense budget to build the border wall now
American Thinker, Mar 25, 2018, Thomas Lifson

President Trump tweeted something very suggestive this morning, indicating that he may use the powers of the executive to work around the $1.3 trillion abomination’s limitations on the border wall:

Donald J. Trump
 âœ”  @realDonaldTrump 

Because of the $700 & $716 Billion Dollars gotten to rebuild our Military, many jobs are created and our Military is again rich. Building a great Border Wall, with drugs (poison) and enemy combatants pouring into our Country, is all about National Defense. Build WALL through M!

6:33 AM - Mar 25, 2018

“Build WALL through M” sounds like a plan that John Salisbury outlined in a Twitter thread yesterday.  Rather than embed each tweet, I will post their contents below. Readers who want to reference an individual tweet may visit the link above to review the entire thread.

<snip 10 points>

In a later tweet, Salisbury speculates:  "This has got Mulvaney's fingerprints all over it..."

Note that Nick Mulvaney, head of the OMB, outmaneuvered and outsmarted Elizabeth Warren’s cats paws at the Consumer Financial Protection Board, and became simultaneously the director there in order to begin dismantling its burdensome regulations. Taking advantage of Warren's design, he is now immune from Congressional oversight there. There is little doubt that he is highly skilled at using bureaucratic and legal farmeworks.

I am not a constitutional lawyer, and have no idea if this strategy would work. But I like the way it promises to get the job done.

More: https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2018/03/president_trump_hints_he_may_use_defense_budget_to_build_the_border_wall_now.html

« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 01:07:12 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2018, 01:27:20 pm »
Build WALL through M!

Wow.....how mysterious.  By 'M' does he mean military, or his original plan of having Mexico pay for it?  He's so cryptic and sly.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 01:27:38 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2018, 01:33:42 pm »
Finally some good news. I hope this is true.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2018, 02:08:59 pm »
Will it be engineered by the folk at Florida International University?
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2018, 02:21:13 pm »
March 25, 2018
President Trump hints he may use Defense budget to build the border wall now
By Thomas Lifson

President Trump tweeted something very suggestive this morning, indicating that he may use the powers of the executive to work around the $1.3 trillion abomination’s limitations on the border wall:

Donald J. Trump
✔
@realDonaldTrump

Because of the $700 & $716 Billion Dollars gotten to rebuild our Military, many jobs are created and our Military is again rich. Building a great Border Wall, with drugs (poison) and enemy combatants pouring into our Country, is all about National Defense. Build WALL through M!
5:33 AM - Mar 25, 2018

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2018/03/president_trump_hints_he_may_use_defense_budget_to_build_the_border_wall_now.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2018, 02:28:20 pm »
Lindsay Graham just said this bill gives the military $650 billion... I'm still listening.

Social Security, Medicaid are 2/3rds of the Federal deficit, something like that, entitlement spending.

Offline bilo

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2018, 07:16:53 pm »
I'll believe it when I see it.

I think this is all just spin to try and diminish the disgust the base has for Trump and the party over the sell out in the omnibus bill.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2018, 07:28:19 pm »
All one has to do is follow his Twitter feed since the 23rd.  Between that and his mopey faced forlorn act at the announcement, you're seriously deluding yourself to think he's going to suddenly pull a rabbit out of a hat.

https://mobile.twitter.com/realdonaldtrump

The same bill he bemoaned as slapped together, absurdly long, and read by no one is suddenly this genius tome of legislative subterfuge, crafted by Ryan and The Dealmaster?  Come on, people.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline bilo

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2018, 07:49:28 pm »
All one has to do is follow his Twitter feed since the 23rd.  Between that and his mopey faced forlorn act at the announcement, you're seriously deluding yourself to think he's going to suddenly pull a rabbit out of a hat.

https://mobile.twitter.com/realdonaldtrump

The same bill he bemoaned as slapped together, absurdly long, and read by no one is suddenly this genius tome of legislative subterfuge, crafted by Ryan and The Dealmaster?  Come on, people.

I'm with you. I'm not buying it.

Pres. Trump was manipulated into this mess by the legislative leaders in his own party. On top of that at the last moment Trump could have said "NO!" but he didn't. Conservatives were sold out by the Pub party again and Pres. Trump went along with it.

At this point, I think the best we can hope for is Pres. Trump to be strong on foreign policy and trade. The Rats will win back the House in 2018 and probably the Senate in 2020, not a rosy picture. When George Bush (41) raised taxes after promising not to the Pub establishment deluded themselves into believing it wouldn't hurt them. The same holds true for Trump and the Pubs not repealing obamacare, not building the wall, and not reforming immigration.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 07:50:52 pm by bilo »
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2018, 07:59:43 pm »
"Hey, Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!"

! No longer available

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2018, 09:01:19 pm »
I'm with you. I'm not buying it.

Pres. Trump was manipulated into this mess by the legislative leaders in his own party. On top of that at the last moment Trump could have said "NO!" but he didn't. Conservatives were sold out by the Pub party again and Pres. Trump went along with it.

At this point, I think the best we can hope for is Pres. Trump to be strong on foreign policy and trade. The Rats will win back the House in 2018 and probably the Senate in 2020, not a rosy picture. When George Bush (41) raised taxes after promising not to the Pub establishment deluded themselves into believing it wouldn't hurt them. The same holds true for Trump and the Pubs not repealing obamacare, not building the wall, and not reforming immigration.

I have never been a Trumper, but I think you have overlooked why he signed such a lousy bill.  It was largely to get funding for the wall, which you can bet he will now start building.  You seem to be presupposing that he won't do it, even though we have plenty of signals that he will give a big chunk of the military money to the Corps of Engineers.

Another likely reason why he might have felt it necessary to sign the bill is that he cannot afford a shutdown right now--not for political reasons, but for reasons of military preparedness and possibly military justice (including but not limited to imminent actions against sanctuary cities). 

Anyway, Trump claims to have a strategy for wiping out the national debt.  Let's see what he does. 

Offline DB

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2018, 09:17:37 pm »
I have never been a Trumper, but I think you have overlooked why he signed such a lousy bill.  It Anyway, Trump claims to have a strategy for wiping out the national debt.  Let's see what he does.

Seriously?

I just saw a unicorn...