Author Topic: Did Trump Just Hint at Building the Border Wall Using the Military?  (Read 4004 times)

Offline the_doc

Re: Did Trump Just Hint at Building the Border Wall Using the Military?
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2018, 09:26:04 pm »
Seriously?

I just saw a unicorn...

Seriously.

(LOL)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2018, 09:29:20 pm »
Seriously?

He's mentioned at least three in the past.  Among them are selling government assets, defaulting, and printing money to pay it off.  Really.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2018, 10:26:50 pm »
All one has to do is follow his Twitter feed since the 23rd.  Between that and his mopey faced forlorn act at the announcement, you're seriously deluding yourself to think he's going to suddenly pull a rabbit out of a hat.

https://mobile.twitter.com/realdonaldtrump

The same bill he bemoaned as slapped together, absurdly long, and read by no one is suddenly this genius tome of legislative subterfuge, crafted by Ryan and The Dealmaster?  Come on, people.

Many Trumpsters are delusional thinking he has some kind of magic trick up his sleeve.  I'm not quite sure what they're expecting, but unless Congress allocates money for the wall (regardless of where it comes from); it's not going to get built.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2018, 10:27:29 pm »
Seriously?

I just saw a unicorn...

A unicorn with rainbow farts at that!
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline corbe

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2018, 10:40:47 pm »
Many Trumpsters are delusional thinking he has some kind of magic trick up his sleeve.  I'm not quite sure what they're expecting, but unless Congress allocates money for the wall (regardless of where it comes from); it's not going to get built.

So, you're discounting the fact that he could declare a National Emergency and 'EO' the DOD to build the damn thing in his 22 Dimensional Chess kinda way of things?   @libertybele

Please report to your nearest Trumper station, refreshments will be provided.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline edpc

« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2018, 10:41:13 pm »

It’s not technically impossible, if there is enough discretionary money available. However, if he did it, there would be a huge backlash from both sides of the aisle. After that, some of the same people claiming Paul Ryan cleverly engineered this back door would be calling him a Deep State troll who purposely set Trump up for failure.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2018, 10:55:51 pm »
   So, you're discounting the fact that he could declare a National Emergency and 'EO' the DOD to build the damn thing in his 22 Dimensional Chess kinda way of things?   @libertybele

Please report to your nearest Trumper station, refreshments will be provided.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 10:59:22 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline corbe

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2018, 11:54:32 pm »
     The Trumpers are a good bunch, as a whole, has anyone paid @Emjays ransom yet?
     I just wish they'd drink more of this before they posted.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2018, 12:15:06 am »

The wall was authorized by Congress several years ago but never funded.  Under the circumstances, the POTUS can build the wall if he has the money to do so.  In the Omni-Bust bill, Congress did not intend to fund it, but by giving several hundred billion to the Department of Defense, Trump suddenly has plenty of money for his already-Congressionally-authorized wall.

A wag might say that the Department of Defense has become the Department of the Fence. 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 12:15:31 am by the_doc »

Silver Pines

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2018, 12:19:31 am »
Shortly after Trump signed the Omni-Bust, Qanon (who is clearly a leaker authorized by the White House), posted a cryptic tweet:  Red_Castle, Green_Castle

Go figure.

@the_doc

I did, and it means "drink your Ovaltine."

Offline Leto

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2018, 02:24:24 am »
An Omnibus spending Bill IS NOT A BUDGET.

Trump isn't OBLIGATED to follow the SUGGESTIONS contained in the bill.

We shall see what he does with this bill. Remember Munchin took Fauxahontas to the cleaners with the CPB, perhaps he or his people understood the law and told Trump how to play this.

If So there will be no more omnibus bills.

But with the DoJ IG report coming out soon that may not matter major swamp draining in progress.
"If the devil can keep you from asking the right question he never has to worry about the answer"

THe Screwtape Letters

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2018, 06:15:59 am »
Trump is such a f******g draft dodging loser...

The military's budget has been decimated under Obama so now this fool plays the same shell game as his predecessor ....WTF is so difficult about saying you support our military and troops and then doing so... :shrug:

Geez you folks supporting this fool must have a hell of a time every morning worrying if your daily crap is going to deplete whats left of anything that could be called your brain....
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 06:16:47 am by montanajoe »

Offline the_doc

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2018, 04:41:26 pm »
An Omnibus spending Bill IS NOT A BUDGET.

Trump isn't OBLIGATED to follow the SUGGESTIONS contained in the bill.

I believe this is why some talking head twisted the scenario to say a line item veto is unconstitutional.

Offline edpc

« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2018, 04:45:28 pm »
I believe this is why some talking head twisted the scenario to say a line item veto is unconstitutional.

If you’re talking about Wallace, there was no scenario twisting.  He responded directly to Mnuchin saying congress needed to give the president the line item veto - something Trump himself mentioned at the bill presser.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2018, 04:54:14 pm »

Geez you folks supporting this fool must have a hell of a time every morning worrying if your daily crap is going to deplete whats left of anything that could be called your brain....
There's more going on than you have noticed.  Wait and see.

I am not ashamed to say I refused to vote in the 2016 election, but I have noticed that our POTUS is now doing what he needs to be doing.  Military arrests and military tribunals will start soon, my TBR friend.  And Trump will clean up the immigration mess and stop the election fraud.

Again, just wait and see.

Offline edpc

« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2018, 04:56:15 pm »
Military arrests and military tribunals will start soon, my TBR friend.

Arrests and trials of whom?

Offline the_doc

« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2018, 05:01:29 pm »

Arrests and trials of whom?

I believe the smart money is on John Podesta, for starters.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2018, 05:04:48 pm »

If you’re talking about Wallace, there was no scenario twisting.  He responded directly to Mnuchin saying congress needed to give the president the line item veto - something Trump himself mentioned at the bill presser.

Thanks for the correction.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2018, 05:05:27 pm »

I believe the smart money is on John Podesta, for starters.

Or Tony.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2018, 05:08:44 pm »
Actually . . . it has been ruled unconstitutional.

Trump Wants a 'Line-Item Veto' on Budget Bills. That Was Ruled Unconstitutional 20 Years Ago.

Way back in 1996, a Republican Congress tried to do just that, passing the Line Item Veto Act in the hopes of giving then-President Bill Clinton the power to excise specific appropriations from the federal budget.

The act passed, but it didn't last long. In 1997, the City of New York and a number of health care companies who had lost funding to one of Clinton's line-item vetoes sued, arguing that the law impermissibly blurred the Constitution's separation of the legislative and executive functions of government. The Supreme Court agreed, holding in 1998's
Clinton v. City of New York that the line-item veto violated the Presentment Clause, which is the portion of the Constitution which lays out the veto process. In essence, the Court said, Congress cannot delegate its constitutional power to craft and modify legislation to the executive.

Clinton v. New York isn't as universally known as Roe v. Wade or Brown v. Board of Education, but it isn't exactly obscure. It's a landmark case in U.S. constitutional law, a cornerstone of the "nondelegation doctrine" that underpins many past and ongoing debates about the structure of American government. If you went to high school after 1998, you've probably at least heard of it once.

If so, congratulations. You're apparently better informed on the structure of the U.S. government than the president.

---Alec Ward, Reason
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 05:10:28 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline edpc

« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2018, 05:11:53 pm »

Trump Wants a 'Line-Item Veto' on Budget Bills. That Was Ruled Unconstitutional 20 Years Ago.

Way back in 1996, a Republican Congress tried to do just that, passing the Line Item Veto Act in the hopes of giving then-President Bill Clinton the power to excise specific appropriations from the federal budget.

The act passed, but it didn't last long. In 1997, the City of New York and a number of health care companies who had lost funding to one of Clinton's line-item vetoes sued, arguing that the law impermissibly blurred the Constitution's separation of the legislative and executive functions of government. The Supreme Court agreed, holding in 1998's
Clinton v. City of New York that the line-item veto violated the Presentment Clause, which is the portion of the Constitution which lays out the veto process. In essence, the Court said, Congress cannot delegate its constitutional power to craft and modify legislation to the executive.

Clinton v. New York isn't as universally known as Roe v. Wade or Brown v. Board of Education, but it isn't exactly obscure. It's a landmark case in U.S. constitutional law, a cornerstone of the "nondelegation doctrine" that underpins many past and ongoing debates about the structure of American government. If you went to high school after 1998, you've probably at least heard of it once.

If so, congratulations. You're apparently better informed on the structure of the U.S. government than the president.

---Alec Ward, Reason

Bush 43 tried his own version where the items singled out would be sent back to congress and get stricken with their approval.  It flamed out.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 05:15:25 pm by edpc »

Offline edpc

« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2018, 05:14:39 pm »
Thanks for the correction.

No problem.  Here's the exchange in question.

! No longer available

Offline the_doc

« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2018, 06:45:41 pm »

I remember this ruling from the '90s.  Although I got the context wrong in my earlier post (I didn't actually see the Chris Wallace interview), I was intending only to offer some support for Leto's post.  I have heard a lot of buzz to the effect that inasmuch as the Omnibus bill is not genuinely a "budget," Trump has some Constitutional leeway for how he spends or fails to spend funds in the Omnibus. 

Supposedly Obama did this during his tenure.  (Personally, I cannot cite examples of this, however.)

Anyway, the legal eagles would have a big court fight on their hands if Trump does not quickly ante up $900 million for Schumer's project and half a billion to PP.  The courts could very well rule that the Omnibus appropriations bill is a de facto budget and therefore that Trump cannot impound or divert funds.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2018, 07:40:22 pm »
Anyway, the legal eagles would have a big court fight on their hands if Trump does not quickly ante up $900 million for Schumer's project and half a billion to PP.  The courts could very well rule that the Omnibus appropriations bill is a de facto budget and therefore that Trump cannot impound or divert funds.

Unless I'm very wrong, the president can impound or divert only funds related to those portions of the bill that have to do with or fall under the direct purview of
the executive branch; he can't impound or divert funds falling under the direct purview of Congress (reference Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution).
And in light of the point that Congress has already transferred a few too many of its former constitutional responsibilities to the executive branch, one would
and should be very cautious in wishing to assign even further power to the executive branch.

Bear in mind: omnibus bills are really single bills that are combined when Congress can't (or won't) produce and pass individual appropriations bills
needed to operate the government. Had the single bills that made up the current omnibus been passed on Capitol Hill as individual bills, the president could sign
or veto each one on its own. As a single omnibus, the president can sign or veto the entire package but not strike away portions of it. The usual reasons for
Congress ending up putting the single bills into an omnibus are many; they generally include anything from partisan squabbling to disputes even between
members of one or another party, or even getting themselves occupied enough with other legislation that it becomes oops, we gotta get the appropriations to
run the show done!
The astonishing lack of a) transparency in composing the current omnibus and b) explicit interest from Donaldus Minimus in working
directly with Capitol Hill to negotiate the contents and dollars (the Artist of the Deal asleep at the switch?) continues to amaze. (We have to pass the ominbus
so we can find out what's in it!
)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 07:41:01 pm by EasyAce »

Offline edpc

« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2018, 07:55:38 pm »
Raj Shah hilariously said today the bill was dropped on Trump at the 11th hour.  It was a compilation of many previous bills he'd already signed, plus negotiated items his legislative staff had been part of for the last six months.  What a whopper - with everything!