Author Topic: Tom Brokaw rips Trump for calling Chuck Todd a 'son of a bitch': 'Really classy'  (Read 11700 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Look, people @everyone.  We all knew about Trump's personal behavior before he was elected, so why is everyone so aghast that he called an SOB an SOB.

That's pretty mild, really.

I despised Trump so much I was kicked off of Free Republic for what I said about him.

But, guess what?  He won... he defeated the evil Queen and he will be President for 3 more years.

AND he has not done a bad job at all as President.

Some people are so gullible about the press.  We should know by now that they would literally kill Trump if they could figure out a way to do it.

So, it is beyond childish to be amazed and appalled at Trump using language not quite  suitable for polite society.

Particularly people who are mean as snakes when someone disagrees with them.

Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Everyone here who's been offended by my defending Trump on this either hates Trump or is a lily-livered hypocrite.

The defense of Trump doesn’t offend me.  The obtuseness does.  Your posts are like walking through the Louvre and seeing gang tags on the wall.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Suppressed

She's the nastiest person on the forum. She didn't used to be like this. Shame, really.
@Emjay @Weird Tolkienish Figure

No, she's not. I can think of two worse.

Yes, she didn't used to be that way.  Who knew Kool-Aid had such effects?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

The defense of Trump doesn’t offend me.  The obtuseness does.  Your posts are like walking through the Louvre and seeing gang tags on the wall.

:silly:
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Well, there's only one viable alternative to being a Republican, so good luck with that.

The choice between two arms of an oligarchy Uniparty - is not a choice at all.

It's playing their shell game - and being willing slaves on a plantation because you have been led to believe there is no possible life to have out of slavery.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Wingnut   I didn't mean that post for you.  You are one of my favorite posters and I have no objection whatever to your language.

@Emjay @Wingnut was quoting Gabby Johnson from Blazing Saddles....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical

:silly:

Coming from you that is quite a statement.

Offline Concerned

Look, people @everyone.  We all knew about Trump's personal behavior before he was elected, so why is everyone so aghast that he called an SOB an SOB.

That's pretty mild, really.

I despised Trump so much I was kicked off of Free Republic for what I said about him.

But, guess what?  He won... he defeated the evil Queen and he will be President for 3 more years.

AND he has not done a bad job at all as President.

Some people are so gullible about the press.  We should know by now that they would literally kill Trump if they could figure out a way to do it.

So, it is beyond childish to be amazed and appalled at Trump using language not quite  suitable for polite society.

@Emjay

I doubt anyone is "aghast" or "amazed" when Trump uses "language not quite suitable for polite society", but that doesn't mean as American People and American Voters some of us can't be disappointed when we think the President of the United States acts childishly.  I feel that when our leader does act childishly, it reflects badly on our entire country.  I'm not "aghast" or "amazed" by the childish name-calling, the nicknames, the lies/falsehoods/misleading statements, but I remain disappointed by it all.  When Clinton and Obama lied to the American people, I criticized them.  I feel like when any President does things that disappoint me, it's my right to publicly criticize him.  For some reason, it seems as though Trump supporters want to silence criticism of this President. 

Look, I suspect the root cause of the apparent angst some of his supporters has is because they feel the criticism is almost constant.  Well, guess what, it's only almost constant because this President's disappointing behavior is almost constant, at least to me.  As frustrating as the criticism may be to some of his supporters, the almost constant disappointing behavior to frustrating to me. 
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline Applewood

@Emjay

I doubt anyone is "aghast" or "amazed" when Trump uses "language not quite suitable for polite society", but that doesn't mean as American People and American Voters some of us can't be disappointed when we think the President of the United States acts childishly.  I feel that when our leader does act childishly, it reflects badly on our entire country.  I'm not "aghast" or "amazed" by the childish name-calling, the nicknames, the lies/falsehoods/misleading statements, but I remain disappointed by it all.  When Clinton and Obama lied to the American people, I criticized them.  I feel like when any President does things that disappoint me, it's my right to publicly criticize him.  For some reason, it seems as though Trump supporters want to silence criticism of this President. 

Look, I suspect the root cause of the apparent angst some of his supporters has is because they feel the criticism is almost constant.  Well, guess what, it's only almost constant because this President's disappointing behavior is almost constant, at least to me.  As frustrating as the criticism may be to some of his supporters, the almost constant disappointing behavior to frustrating to me.

Wholeheartedly agree. 

I cuss like the proverbial sailor.  So I'm not aghast or appalled when people use strong language.

But here's the thing.  I'm not President of the United States -- the leader of the free world.  I guess I'm old fashioned.  I expect my leaders to be better than me.  I expect them to have class and decorum.  I expect them to be grownups.   I expect them to lead by example. 

What kind of example does it set when our President constantly picks fights with enemies, real or imagined?  What example does it set when he uses foul language and behaves like a 2 year old?  This type of behavior does not set well with the rest of the world.  And look at what it does to our kids.  Kids notice more than we realize and I'm sure they notice Trump's behavior.  Do we want our kids growing up, behaving like this president? 

Over the years, I have tried to curb my foul language and I don't cuss nearly as much as I used to -- at least not publicly.  If I can make some progress in ditching the curse words, I would hope Trump could do the same.

cc  @Emjay

Offline aligncare

So now we are in agreement with Tom Brokaw? Tom Brokaw is a dyed in the wool lefty.  ****sheep****

I support President Trump’s plain spoken honesty in support of the American people. If we had more honest talk in politics we wouldn’t be in the mess we’re in.

Offline musiclady

Well, there's only one viable alternative to being a Republican, so good luck with that.

We’ll now, that creates a problem for the Republican Party, doesn’t it?

Because they are most certainly NOT a “viable” alternative for a Christian Conservative any longer.  At least not on the national level.

That’s what happens when you sell your soul .
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Applewood

So now we are in agreement with Tom Brokaw? Tom Brokaw is a dyed in the wool lefty.  ****sheep****

I support President Trump’s plain spoken honesty in support of the American people. If we had more honest talk in politics we wouldn’t be in the mess we’re in.

Once in a while, even a lefty can be right about something.

Trump can talk "honestly" and be a tough guy without the cuss words and being a bully. 

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
I like my President a little on the trashy side and unpredictable.  It is refreshing!  I hope he drops trou someday and gives the old one eye smile to the press.  Now that my friends is a President worth his salt.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 02:01:08 pm by Wingnut »
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline aligncare

What then is a bully pulpit?

I think 2018’s updated bully pulpit is just a little bit different than President Roosevelt‘s original 20th century version. I expect Teddy would have loved the internet.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Once in a while, even a lefty can be right about something.

Trump can talk "honestly" and be a tough guy without the cuss words and being a bully.

@Applewood
I would greatly prefer to have a classy well spoken person as President.   I haven't seen that we had the option for a good 25 years if not more.   Most are scumbags on a good day.

VP Pence is the most 'Presidential' person we've had in the White House since Reagan.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

I once broke up with a girlfriend(it could happen)She told me I would never find someone like her again.  I thought that an odd statement.  Why would I want someone like her, when I didn't want to be with her?  Why would replacing her be a consideration at all?  I went out with this girl for almost two years and flushing her from my psyche was extremely difficult even though she cheated on me.  It took a long time before I wanted to replace her.

I reject the GOP "leadership" and the political players and fans who support Trump.  After almost 30 years of my GOP relationship, I don't need a viable alternative. 

Offline aligncare

@Applewood
I would greatly prefer to have a classy well spoken person as President.   I haven't seen that we had the option for a good 25 years if not more.   Most are scumbags on a good day.

VP Pence is the most 'Presidential' person we've had in the White House since Reagan.

...and imho the gentlemanly Pence in 2016 would not have stood a chance of beating the vicious democrat left. He represents a bygone era. Trump was right for the times. That’s part of the reason he won. The other part is he’s good at sizing up people. 

So now we are in agreement with Tom Brokaw?
Do you wear pants?  So does Brokaw. 

I don't agree with Brokaw.  He agrees with me.  Kind of like Richard Spencer agrees with Trump.
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/white-nationalist-richard-spencer-thanks-trump-for-defending-the-truth-on-charlottesville/article/2631630

Now watch me do to Brokaw what Trump can't or won't to Spencer.  I think Tom Brokaw is a despicable man, and I stand apart from him.  It's so easy.  It's even easier than winning a trade war.

Offline edpc

That's probably true.  Sadly, he would have likely been among the many single digit performers had he been a candidate in 2016.  People seemed to want the spectacle.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
...and imho the gentlemanly Pence in 2016 would not have stood a chance of beating the vicious democrat left. He represents a bygone era. Trump was right for the times. That’s part of the reason he won. The other part is he’s good at sizing up people.

@aligncare
perhaps that is why they hate him so much, he's better at their game then they are.

But you're right, Pence would not have been able to beat the media storm of the left.  He is a better man though.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline musiclady

That's probably true.  Sadly, he would have likely been among the many single digit performers had he been a candidate in 2016.  People seemed to want the spectacle.

And they certainly got it, didn't they?   *****rollingeyes*****
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline aligncare

@aligncare
perhaps that is why they hate him so much, he's better at their game then they are.

But you're right, Pence would not have been able to beat the media storm of the left.  He is a better man though.

Agree. VP Pence is a better man but unfortunately a dying breed.

What then is a bully pulpit?

I think 2018’s updated bully pulpit is just a little bit different than President Roosevelt‘s original 20th century version. I expect Teddy would have loved the internet.
                                     from google
bul·ly pul·pit
noun North American
noun: bully pulpit; plural noun: bully pulpits

a public office or position of authority that provides its occupant with an outstanding opportunity to speak out on any issue.
    "he could use the presidency as a bully pulpit to bring out the best in civic life"
You're right.  The definition does not exclude Trump from speaking out against Americans, and there is no one better at bullying.  Trump once bullied a candidate out of the race by insulting how much water he drinks.  Cheers to President Bully.

Bullying is good and admirable/ sarc

Offline edpc

I believe any Republican would have beaten Hillary.

Just because Trump Happens doesn't mean he was the right guy for the times.  Jim Jones Happens.  Pol Pot Happens.  I'm not equating Jim Jones or Pol Pot with Trump, I'm just saying bad stuff happens it doesn't mean I have to embrace it as preordained.

I used to comfort myself with the idea that there was a common sense wisdom in the American voter.  I thought there was a purpose to the Republican stampede of 1994.  I imagined that voters saw something necessary in electing the first black president in 2008.  That America needed a cathartic remedy to systemic racism.  That the voters may not always make the right decision, but they recognize a problem eventually and  try to correct it next election, like 2010.  Now I am convinced American voters are easily led irrational morons.  Scott Adams proves this daily on his Periscope.