Author Topic: Fla. shooting survivor pleads for gun control: ‘We are children, you guys are the adults’  (Read 12161 times)

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Quite a bit more than just a social media statement the nut job wanted to be a 'professional school shooter'.

FBI failed to act on tip last month that Cruz might carry out school shooting

The FBI in January received a tip to a public reporting line that Nikolas Cruz might carry out a school shooting, but failed to pass the information to its Miami field office or investigate any further, authorities said Friday.

The bureau acknowledged the startling lapse in a statement, saying a person close to Cruz had contacted the bureau’s public access tip line on January 5 and “provided information about Cruz’s gun ownership, desire to kill people, erratic behavior, and disturbing social media posts, as well as the potential of him conducting a school shooting.” On Wednesday, Cruz killed 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla.

The bureau said the information “should have been assessed as a potential threat to life” and passed to the Miami field office, but was not, and “no further investigation was conducted at that time.”
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online mountaineer

Perhaps if the FBI had acted on the various tips, they could have brought in local LE and even a mental health professional and had a long sitdown with this kid. He would have realized he's on their radar and couldn't get away with anything, and perhaps they could have directed him to someone who could work with him on whatever made him so angry.
 Hindsight, 20/20, and all that.  **nononono*
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online roamer_1

How is a teenager allowed to purchase a gun??

LOLWhut?

I have owned firearms since I was maybe eight.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
LOLWhut?

I have owned firearms since I was maybe eight.

So as an eight year old child, did you ever walk into a gun store accompanied by a parent and allowed to break open your piggy bank and allowed to purchase an AR15 and ammo? 22222frying pan
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Online roamer_1

In FL there is no waiting period to buy a rifle/AR15.  Only a handgun. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong -- this seems really stupid.

@LauraTXNM
So what?

You can buy anything you want off the back of a truck, anywhere in the country.

I think maybe two of my guns (ever) has been bought over a counter.

Online roamer_1

A teenager in FL can't buy a handgun.  Only a rifle/AR15.   Which is ridiculous to me.

So you haven't heard of hunting?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Have it your way.    *****rollingeyes*****
Actually, "Our way" is that people, no matter how "good" their intentions may be otherwise, just leave our  Rights alone. The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

It's that simple, really. Keep your grubby totalitarian meathooks off our Rights.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
@LauraTXNM
So what?

You can buy anything you want off the back of a truck, anywhere in the country.

Seems to me that's a loophole that ought to be closed, pronto.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online roamer_1

I largely agree with you.  But I can understand buying a shotgun or rifle for hunting at 18.  An AR15 seems like overkill, no pun intended.

An AR15 is no different from any semi-automatic hunting rifle.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
There is usually a waiting period because of the background check. Sometimes it takes days.
Hell, by that time, I was over being mad at the person.

Besides, a waiting period would not have helped in this case.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
So you haven't heard of hunting?
I guess they don't get it. I had brought down innumerable ducks and bagged a lot of small game by the time I harvested my first Whitetail Deer--at the ripe old age of 11. I was hunting at half the age people are saying is too young to own a gun--yep, out in the woods, alone, armed and dangerous (to the squirrel population) at the ripe old age of 9.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline aligncare

Except that it’s cosmetically scary looking. Which is enough to send liberals running to their shrink for some psychotropic drugs.

Online roamer_1

Straw man.  No one disagrees with that.  Your job no doubt also requires that you drive a car.   But why shouldn't you be required to register and insure your gun just as you do your car?

Idiocy. I will never register my gear, and for the most part, no one knows what I have. How EXACTLY do you intend to force me to disclose?

Online mountaineer

Exactly. Some politician was railing earlier today that he's a hunter, but no hunter ever would use an AR-15 and there's no legitimate need for them. I know very little about hunting guns, but asked myself, "Why not? Isn't it just another semi-auto rifle?"
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Ok, so we agree on that.  I also think political speech that calls for violence, like advocating the President's assassination, is political speech that can and should be regulated.  Does that seem reasonable?

That is a "Terrorist Threat," and is a felony.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online roamer_1

So as an eight year old child, did you ever walk into a gun store accompanied by a parent and allowed to break open your piggy bank and allowed to purchase an AR15 and ammo? 22222frying pan

No. at eight or so, I had a .22 rifle. by 12 I had a .22 pistol, because I know I was trapping by then, and the pistol is necessary for dispatch. I knocked down my first deer sometime around 12, and it may well have been my own carbine by then. My first elk was somewhere around 15 and that was a scoped 7mm mag, and the shot was half a mile.

Y'all live in lala land. My story ain't very much different from folks all over the midwest, south, southwest, and rockies.

Online roamer_1

Seems to me that's a loophole that ought to be closed, pronto.

Riiiight. How in hell do you do that?

Online roamer_1

I guess they don't get it. I had brought down innumerable ducks and bagged a lot of small game by the time I harvested my first Whitetail Deer--at the ripe old age of 11. I was hunting at half the age people are saying is too young to own a gun--yep, out in the woods, alone, armed and dangerous (to the squirrel population) at the ripe old age of 9.

Damn straight. I just got done saying something similar.
And I was driving by 8 or 10 too... and licensed at 14.

Online roamer_1

Except that it’s cosmetically scary looking. Which is enough to send liberals running to their shrink for some psychotropic drugs.

BOO!

:beer:

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
No. at eight or so, I had a .22 rifle. by 12 I had a .22 pistol, because I know I was trapping by then, and the pistol is necessary for dispatch. I knocked down my first deer sometime around 12, and it may well have been my own carbine by then. My first elk was somewhere around 15 and that was a scoped 7mm mag, and the shot was half a mile.

Y'all live in lala land. My story ain't very much different from folks all over the midwest, south, southwest, and rockies.

But it was a parent who presumably purchased those for you? You obviously didn't walk into a gun store at 8 years old alone and purchase firearms and ammo. Or did you?
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Online roamer_1

Exactly. Some politician was railing earlier today that he's a hunter, but no hunter ever would use an AR-15 and there's no legitimate need for them. I know very little about hunting guns, but asked myself, "Why not? Isn't it just another semi-auto rifle?"

AR-15 and it's knockoffs and look-alikes are used for hunting all the time.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

Riiiight. How in hell do you do that?

Gestapo on every corner surveilling every thing you say, do or think.

Believe the wrong thing, say the wrong thing or do the wrong thing, why - it's the gulag and punishment for you.

That is the kind of world Jazzy works to impose upon us all.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online roamer_1

But it was a parent who presumably purchased those for you? You obviously didn't walk into a gun store at 8 years old alone and purchase firearms and ammo. Or did you?

Ammo yeah. But I very rarely buy guns through a store at all. Even today.

Online roamer_1

I should add, YES my dad bought me my first rifle, a .22LR . The rest I bought on my own, though I think he probably financed a couple of them. And yeah, he knew what I had... mostly. I can't say that is perfectly true, because by the time I was capable (say 15 or so) I probably bought and sold on my own.

Online roamer_1

Gestapo on every corner surveilling every thing you say, do or think.

Believe the wrong thing, say the wrong thing or do the wrong thing, why - it's the gulag and punishment for you.

That is the kind of world Jazzy works to impose upon us all.

Should oughta take a lesson by now.
Rednecks and Revenuers don't mix.

! No longer available