Author Topic: Fla. shooting survivor pleads for gun control: ‘We are children, you guys are the adults’  (Read 12090 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Laura - please accept my warm welcome to this little group of ours.   

30% of US households own guns, and I'll bet the vast majority of them understand the need for reasonable regulation of the devices.

We already have reasonable regulation of guns.

What we lack is law enforcement focused on problem people. By that I mean adequate laws, which demand officers protect custody for certain types of people.

This guy should have been found last September, not just brushed off by the FBI. They gave up their search too easily, and 17 people are now dead.

What good are slogans "if you see something, say something"

....If authorities drop the ball?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Do you think the Skokie Nazis had the right to march?

Yup.  Political speech.  They had that right, and they went through the hassle of getting permits.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online Right_in_Virginia

@Right_in_Virginia

I'm not inviting any such thing!  I'm just pointing out that their approach to the problem is the correct way to deal with this kind of thing.

888high58888  @Bigun

Online Right_in_Virginia

What we lack is law enforcement focused on problem people. By that I mean adequate laws, which demand officers protect custody for certain types of people.

This guy should have been found last September, not just brushed off by the FBI. They gave up their search too easily, and 17 people are now dead.

Agree.  Not only the FBI, but local police and school officials dropped the ball.  This kid should have been sent for an involuntary 48 hour stay for observation at a local psych hospital.

And this should have happened concurrent with the damn blast email warning teachers about this kid and his backpack.    9999hair out0000

« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 04:25:19 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.

Apparently, neighbors repeatedly called the local cops but not the FBI ;(.  The FBI received one call, about the "school shooter" blog comment. 
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline LauraTXNM

Yup.  Political speech.  They had that right, and they went through the hassle of getting permits.

Ok, so we agree on that.  I also think political speech that calls for violence, like advocating the President's assassination, is political speech that can and should be regulated.  Does that seem reasonable?
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Agree.  Not only the FBI, but local police and school officials dropped the ball.  This kid should have been sent for an involuntary 48 hour stay for observation at a local psych hospital.

And this should have happened concurrent with the damn blast email warning teachers about this kid and his backpack.    9999hair out0000

@Right_in_Virginia

As it turns out the guy threatened to do this in a youtube video and the FBI was alerted to that video and did nothing at all it seems.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/florida-shooting-fbi-was-alerted-about-threat-posted-youtube-n848316
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline LauraTXNM

888high58888  @Bigun

Agreed -- the Israelis do school security well, with locked down armed access points.  Jewish day schools spend a lot of money to accomplish a similar thing.  I've been to education conferences where they checked everyone's names against an attendee list and checked under my car with mirrors.

P.S. Of course, we may be at a point where we need to make all this routine for all public buildings.  Maybe it should be part of the infrastructure plan.  /sarc
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 04:34:38 pm by LauraTXNM »

Offline aligncare

Good post. LEO missed another opportunity to prevent a tragic mass casualty event just like in the Boston marathon bombing case.

Online Right_in_Virginia

@Right_in_Virginia

As it turns out the guy threatened to do this in a youtube video and the FBI was alerted to that video and did nothing at all it seems.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/florida-shooting-fbi-was-alerted-about-threat-posted-youtube-n848316

@Bigun

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Ok, so we agree on that.  I also think political speech that calls for violence, like advocating the President's assassination, is political speech that can and should be regulated.  Does that seem reasonable?

How do you "regulate" and determine that?  Do people that want to call for violence need to send their speech in advance to government regulators to get approval first before they threaten someone's life? 

Threats are threats and deserve investigation to determine if they are indeed legitimate concerns and actionable. 

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
@Right_in_Virginia

Well the FBI was too busy working 24/7 to exonerate Clinton and frame Trump for what the Democrats were doing.

They didn't have time to investigate a nut job making threats in person and on Youtube to do what he actually ended up doing.

Besides, what is MORE IMPORTANT - is the agenda to ban guns and turn the Second Amendment into a licensed privilege and not a Right.

Offline LauraTXNM

How do you "regulate" and determine that?  Do people that want to call for violence need to send their speech in advance to government regulators to get approval first before they threaten someone's life? 

Threats are threats and deserve investigation to determine if they are indeed legitimate concerns and actionable.

^^^That's what I mean -- investigating threats.  Should happen when people call for assassinating the President.  It should have happened with this shooter, too ;(. 

Offline LauraTXNM

@Right_in_Virginia

Actually, according to the article and the other media I've seen, the shooter posted a COMMENT on the video.  I'm not sure if they can track down a poster's ISP from a YouTube comment; I'm guessing that would have been necessary.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

Such as the threats of violence and war you routinely dispense on this Board? 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

Go call your friends at the FBI and report me as you promised you were going to do once before on this board.

Go ahead.  Do it.

Tyrants should always be afraid of attempting to impose their tyranny on a free people.

I'm glad you are afraid.

But go ahead and call your friends at the FBI if you think that makes you feel safe.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
For what it's worth, the New York Post, one of the most prominent conservative editorial pages in America,  called today on the President and Congress to do the following:

-  Reinstate portions of the federal assault weapons ban

- Raise the age to buy firearms to 21

- Ban gun sales to "fugitives from justice"

- Target bump stocks, and

- Kill the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act

This is further evidence that Oceander's right -  the point may well have come where the absolutist position on the Second Amendment is no longer politically tenable for conservatives and the Republican party.  We may be better off being part of the solution rather than ceding the field (and the GOP's future viability) to the worst impulses of the Democratic party. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 05:27:13 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
For what it's worth, the New York Post, one of the most prominent conservative editorial pages in America,  called today on the President and Congress to do the following:

-  Reinstate portions of the federal assault weapons ban

- Raise the age to buy firearms to 21

- Ban gun sales to "fugitives from justice"

- Target bump stocks, and

- Kill the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act

This is further evidence that Oceander's right -  the point may well have come where the absolutist position on the Second Amendment is no longer politically tenable for conservatives and the Republican party.  We may be better off being part of the solution rather than ceding the field (and the GOP's future viability) to the worst impulses of the Democratic party.

The NY Post, conservative.  LOLOLOLOLOLOL

:silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Go call your friends at the FBI and report me as you promised you were going to do once before on this board.

Go ahead.  Do it.

Tyrants should always be afraid of attempting to impose their tyranny on a free people.

I'm glad you are afraid.

But go ahead and call your friends at the FBI if you think that makes you feel safe.

Stop yanking your damn crank.   Again, do you consider your own threats of violence and war that you routinely dispense on this board to be encompassed within the following?:   

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

@Jazzhead
There are criteria for threats.   They need to be specific and of such that it would put a reasonable person in fear.

For example "Jazz I know where you live and I'm going to burn your house down" or " I'm going to shoot up xxx school"  would be actionable.

Whereas a general "I'm gonna kill all those bastards"   or "they should all hang" or even "you should die" are not actionable.   @INVAR  tends to the general kinda threat most of the time that Ive seen.  He's an equal opportunity threatener.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

You are the living embodiment of the worst impulses of pretend Conservative thought.

You go ahead and surrender your rights in advance if it makes you feel safer about yourself.

We have no intention of complying with any infringements congress, the courts or people like you want to impose on our inalienable right to keep and bear arms.

We have them precisely for the purpose of keeping people like you from doing what you intend to do.

Stop yanking your damn crank.   Again, do you consider your own threats of violence and war that you routinely dispense on this board to be encompassed within the following?:   

Tyrants should always fear the PROMISE of violence and war should they do what you advocate.

Always.

But you go ahead and squeal to your pals at the FBI if you want to feel safe from the words I post to this board that you find so threatening to your safe space.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
@INVAR  tends to the general kinda threat most of the time that Ive seen.  He's an equal opportunity threatener.

Just to wannabe tyrants and their advocates.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
@Jazzhead
There are criteria for threats.   They need to be specific and of such that it would put a reasonable person in fear.

For example "Jazz I know where you live and I'm going to burn your house down" or " I'm going to shoot up xxx school"  would be actionable.

Whereas a general "I'm gonna kill all those bastards"   or "they should all hang" or even "you should die" are not actionable.   @INVAR  tends to the general kinda threat most of the time that Ive seen.  He's an equal opportunity threatener.

You’re right, but people should be aware of what they say about whom and where.  Nutbag Hal Turner was tried and convicted for saying the following about 3 federal judges....

Let me be the first to say this plainly: These judges deserve to be killed. Their blood will replenish the tree of liberty. A small price to pay to assure freedom for millions.

He was sentenced to 33 months and served 22 in jail.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
@Jazzhead

The shooter's statement on social media was "I'm going to be a professional school shooter".   With regard to "specificity', that strikes me as on a par with INVAR's "promises" of violence and war that he vomits concerning his disagreements with posters here.   

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
The shooter's statement on social media was "I'm going to be a professional school shooter".   With regard to "specificity', that strikes me as on a par with INVAR's "promises" of violence and war that he vomits concerning his disagreements with posters here.

Did you report me to the FBI yet as you promised?