Author Topic: Republicans agree to raise bottom tax rate, double standard deduction  (Read 2551 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Because of the doubling of the standard deduction, this would end up a net cut for most (I may be wrong). Doubling the standard deduction to 12 thousand when the bottom rate at 10% for married filing jointly goes to 18K, that would remove a lot more people from that tax bracket completely and reduce the overall taxable amount for those in that bracket by a considerable portion.

Top White House and GOP leaders have agreed to raise the lowest individual tax rate from 10 to 12 percent, paired with doubling the standard deduction, 5 senior Republicans tell us.

Why this matters: Trump intends to sell the proposal tomorrow as a populist "tax cut." But as recently as yesterday top Republicans on Capitol Hill were nervous as they got word that Trump wasn't entirely thrilled with the product that had been hashed out in immense secrecy for weeks (with two members of his administration, Gary Cohn and Steven Mnuchin, working with GOP leaders.).....

https://www.axios.com/republicans-agree-to-raise-bottom-tax-rate-double-standard-deduction-2489774626.html

Online Hoodat

Re: Republicans agree to raise bottom tax rate, double standard deduction
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 12:02:01 am »
The bottom tax rate is a negative percentage since it is possible to get a 'refund' without paying a dime in taxes.  I believe taxes for everyone should be raised (or lowered) to 19% while doing away with social security taxes.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 12:27:31 am »
The bottom tax rate is a negative percentage since it is possible to get a 'refund' without paying a dime in taxes.  I believe taxes for everyone should be raised (or lowered) to 19% while doing away with social security taxes.

I agree  there should be a standard flat tax rate for everyone with the first x dollars exempted for everyone.  Period.   I would even more in favor of a flat  atop all sales tax so saving would not be punished
God is still in control

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 12:33:40 am »
I agree  there should be a standard flat tax rate for everyone with the first x dollars exempted for everyone.  Period.   I would even more in favor of a flat  atop all sales tax so saving would not be punished

There is only one way to fix it permanently.   https://fairtax.org
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 12:36:58 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 01:37:12 am »
I don't know.  Reducing to three tax brackets.  Where will I fall and does it help or hurt me?
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 03:05:46 am »
I’d rather see the direct income tax by the feral govmint as instituted by the 16th Amendment be abolished in its entirety. Just go back to taxing the states based on proportional population. Just like the original constitution was written.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 03:15:25 am »
I’d rather see the direct income tax by the feral govmint as instituted by the 16th Amendment be abolished in its entirety. Just go back to taxing the states based on proportional population. Just like the original constitution was written.

What would California do?
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline KingsX

• Be yourself. No one can say you're doing it wrong.
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 07:38:45 am »

For many people, doubling the basic standard deduction will NOT compensate
for eliminating personal exemptions and the extra senior standard deduction.

This would be a net loss for many.

The GOP needs to find a fix in their bag of tricks... or they are in trouble.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 12:53:18 pm »

If they simply enacted HR25 (the fairtax) into law there would no longer be any need for exemptions at all for anyone! 

And BTW:  Trump's entire economic agenda would be accomplished with the passage of that single bill into law!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 01:02:49 pm »

Would be a plus for me, I don't itemize.  Biggest impact will be fewer itemizing too.  Which IMO would be good thing, for the sizable population that "games" that system.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline KingsX

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 05:13:34 pm »

I was not referring to itemization verses taking the standard deduction.

I am referring to the lower middle class [especially single parents as well  as seniors] who already take the standard deduction.  Doubling the basic standard deduction does not compensate for the GOP eliminating personal exemptions and the extra senior standard deduction.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 05:14:17 pm by KingsX »

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 05:16:14 pm »

I was not referring to itemization verses taking the standard deduction.

I am referring to the lower middle class [especially single parents as well  as seniors] who already take the standard deduction.  Doubling the basic standard deduction does not compensate for the GOP eliminating personal exemptions and the extra senior standard deduction.

Like I've said previously, this is just more Smoke and Mirrors from inside the beltway. No REAL reform involved!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline KingsX

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 05:25:52 pm »

Like I've said previously, this is just more Smoke and Mirrors from inside the beltway. No REAL reform involved!

Under this proposed GOP plan [which is almost the same as their 2016 "Blueprint - A Better Way" tax plan] taxes will increase for many people who can least affort it,  lower middle class single parents and seniors, because of the elimination of personal exemptions and the elimination of the extra senior standard deduction.

Democrats have said all along that the GOP is only concerned about tax cuts for the rich and Republicans have made that a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 05:29:36 pm »
I don't know, continue paying out more than it receives back? What I would really like to see is the end of the IRS giving out Tax ID numbers to illegals and put an end to the blatant tax fraud committed by them with the governments blessing.

Offline KingsX

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 07:11:31 pm »

Any minute Trump will be speaking about the GOP tax cuts for the wealthy...
and of course the stock market is going up... they love it.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2017, 07:58:18 pm »
I agree  there should be a standard flat tax rate for everyone with the first x dollars exempted for everyone.

What's the point of the exemption?
Countdown to Resignation

Offline KingsX

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2017, 08:18:52 pm »

The DEVIL is in the details the GOP is not yet telling you... like the GOP plan to eliminate personal exemptions and the extra senior standard deduction.

Trump said the new GOP standard deduction will be  $12,000 single / $24,000 couple... that is NOT doubling the current 2017 standard deduction of $6350 single / $12,700 couple or the projected 2018 standard deduction which is $6500 single /  $ 13,000 couple

Trump did not say whether or not  this arbitrary $12000/$24,000 standard deduction will the adjusted annually for inflation. Maybe it will be like Reagan's 1983 "tax cut" that turned out to be a new tax on Social Security based on a $25,000 income that was NOT set up to be adjusted for inflation and is now a burden to all seniors.

Trump failed to mention the GOP plan to eliminate personal exemptions and extra senior deduction.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 10:04:21 pm by KingsX »

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2017, 03:35:05 am »
That’s their problem to figure out. If they want all those illegals, then they count towards the population and their portion of taxes levied against the state.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2017, 03:41:01 am »
What's the point of the exemption?

I think it is reasonable to exempt enough income to supply the minimum needs of a family from taxation as long as everyone gets the exemption.  A similar rebate is in place with national sales tax plans
God is still in control

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2017, 07:49:56 pm »
And what are they going to do about the AMT (Alternative Minimum Tax)?
It's a well known fact that the USG doesn't "give" anything back without taking something else in return...
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline CSM

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2017, 07:58:12 pm »
There is only one way to fix it permanently.   https://fairtax.org

I agree.  Anything less is simply "tinkering around the edges."

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2017, 08:40:58 pm »
I agree.  Anything less is simply "tinkering around the edges."

Damn right!   :beer:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online libertybele

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2017, 08:49:41 pm »
If they simply enacted HR25 (the fairtax) into law there would no longer be any need for exemptions at all for anyone! 

And BTW:  Trump's entire economic agenda would be accomplished with the passage of that single bill into law!

:patriot:   :amen:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online libertybele

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2017, 09:09:10 pm »
I don't know, continue paying out more than it receives back? What I would really like to see is the end of the IRS giving out Tax ID numbers to illegals and put an end to the blatant tax fraud committed by them with the governments blessing.

Bingo!!! You my friend, hit the nail on the head. Not only that, if illegal couldn't receive healthcare benefits, that would drive the cost of healthcare costs down significantly.

If we were to abolish the IRS and abolish benefits to illegals, I think we would see a tremendous positive economic impact on this country.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.