Author Topic: Hurricane Harvey Public Advisory  (Read 103028 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Hurricane Harvey Public Advisory
« Reply #625 on: August 27, 2017, 09:43:48 pm »
You and me both.

@TheMom - you've been my thoughts. I know you've had the year from Hades. I'm glad to see your post. ❤️
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #626 on: August 27, 2017, 09:45:01 pm »
Check out this beauty from TOS.  They should be ashamed

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/3581021/posts?page=78

Napscoordinator has always been a scumbag.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #627 on: August 27, 2017, 09:46:54 pm »
@Freya

Thanks. You have a heart the size of Texas. I've been watching all the water rescues in Houston on Fox26Houston.com/live. And there are thousands in the surrounding areas that need help.

@austingirl , I'm human. I can't stand to see people in pain and suffer. I think most people are like me.

But thanks for the compliment, you made my day.  I've been blue about some family issues but they are nothing compared to what you all are going through
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 09:49:12 pm by Freya »

Offline TheMom

« Reply #628 on: August 27, 2017, 09:51:22 pm »
@TheMom - you've been my thoughts. I know you've had the year from Hades. I'm glad to see your post. ❤️

Thanks so much.  I'm slowly getting "it" back together and trying to become an internet slug once again.
I'm fluent in three languages: English, Sarcasm, and Profanity.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #629 on: August 27, 2017, 09:53:50 pm »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline musiclady

« Reply #630 on: August 27, 2017, 09:54:05 pm »
Check out this beauty from TOS.  They should be ashamed

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/3581021/posts?page=78

Ugly people dwell there.   **nononono*
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #631 on: August 27, 2017, 09:54:14 pm »
Napscoordinator has always been a scumbag.

He sure puts a great face on FR, doesn't he?

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #632 on: August 27, 2017, 09:57:00 pm »
Houston mayor defends decision not to issue evacuation order
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/houston-mayor-defends-decision-not-issue-evacuation-order-201504169--abc-news-topstories.html

I haven't read this, but I don't know how they could possibly have successfully evacuated this area ... unless you have first-hand information of exactly where the rain was going to fall or the storm was going to steer at any point in its life as a tropical event.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 12:26:53 am by AllThatJazzZ »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #633 on: August 27, 2017, 09:57:12 pm »
@Sanguine if you can find out how people from out of state can help let me know. I have some clothes that are practically new because of all the weight I lost. I'm also donating blood tomorrow

I just made a donation to the Red Cross

@Freya

Samaritan's Purse is a great organization, and you can be sure your money will go to the need.

They've just sent out an emergency request for donations for Texas.

https://www.samaritanspurse.org/our-ministry/donate-online/
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #634 on: August 27, 2017, 10:05:00 pm »
Very, very concerned about flooding. Street should have been sufficiently drained by now and ready to receive the next band of storms. This pic reflects hours without rain. Not good.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #635 on: August 27, 2017, 10:08:10 pm »
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/houston-mayor-defends-decision-not-issue-evacuation-order-201504169--abc-news-topstories.html

There's what, 6.75 million people in the Houston metropolitan area?  I'm not sure how you do an evacuation like that unless you start the week prior.  How long would that take?  And, where would they all go, assuming they had a way to go?

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #636 on: August 27, 2017, 10:25:16 pm »
Houston Hit by ‘Catastrophic Flooding’ From Hurricane Harvey, Hundreds Rescued
NBC News, Aug 27 2017, 4:36 pm ET

HOUSTON — Rescuers were answering thousands of calls from people trapped in Houston early Sunday, officials said, as torrential rain from deadly Hurricane Harvey caused “catastrophic flooding” in the city and across southeast Texas.

"This event is unprecedented & all impacts are unknown & beyond anything experienced," the National Weather Service said Sunday morning.

Heavy rain continued to pour over Houston early Sunday afternoon, with some downtown areas knee-deep in water, and shut down portions of highways flooded with as much as 10 feet of water.

Two kayakers try to beat the current pushing them down an overflowing Brays Bayou along S. Braeswood in Houston, Texas on Aug. 27

More: https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/hurricane-harvey/hurricane-harvey-houston-hit-catastrophic-flooding-n796341

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #637 on: August 27, 2017, 10:26:17 pm »
Just dumped another 6.35 inches from the rain gauge at 5pm bringing the total thus far to 18.55 inces at my location.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline endicom

« Reply #638 on: August 27, 2017, 10:36:08 pm »
There's what, 6.75 million people in the Houston metropolitan area?  I'm not sure how you do an evacuation like that unless you start the week prior.  How long would that take?  And, where would they all go, assuming they had a way to go?

Even NYC has evacuation plans but everyone knows that's fantasy. I think the mayor is right.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #639 on: August 27, 2017, 10:36:09 pm »
This may have already been posted, but I don't have time to read everything right now.

Channel 11, the CBS affiliate, flooded yesterday when Buffalo Bayou became one with Allen Parkway. They tried broadcasting from the second floor, but it was unsuccessful. They tried remotes for a while. Also unsuccessful. The station is now completely down.

Wingnut

« Reply #640 on: August 27, 2017, 10:37:08 pm »

The Gay biotch was correct.  You can not herd cats.  Feral or other wise.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #641 on: August 27, 2017, 10:38:14 pm »
I just heard on ABC13 that they are going to begin controlled releases of water from Addicks and Barker Reservoirs.

http://www.houstonpress.com/news/how-addicks-and-barker-reservoirs-are-handling-tropical-storm-harvey-9740819

Online libertybele

« Reply #642 on: August 27, 2017, 11:06:32 pm »

I can't imagine when Harvey was predicted to be a Cat 3 meaning that devastating damage is likely and added to that they predicted a 12-15 ft. storm surge; which in itself devastating he did nothing. Having been through several hurricanes, him not encouraging people to evacuate is unacceptable.  Even before it hit land it was upgraded to a Cat 4 meaning that catastrophic damage is likely, then they announced a higher storm surge and up to 30 inches of rain. At that point (if there was time to get out) to not to declare a mandatory evacuation is absolutely unacceptable.  He stated that sometimes the evacuation makes things worse.  B.S.  He and his team of people weren't properly prepared and rather than make some type of attempt to get the people out ahead of the storm, he did nothing.  Meanwhile, these people are still getting pummeled with rain and rising water.  This makes me angry.  It's not like TX has never had a hurricane or two to deal with and he should have known!
Continued prayers for Trump's safety and that the Lord God Jesus Christ surrounds him with angels to protect him from all evil. 

May HE also have mercy on this country and stop the evil that keeps prevailing.

Online libertybele

« Reply #643 on: August 27, 2017, 11:13:10 pm »

Even NYC has evacuation plans but everyone knows that's fantasy. I think the mayor is right.

I disagree.  They knew the storm was coming. The national guard was called in.  You start announcements to evacuate and you start sending in buses, school buses, whatever you may have available; you open up the expressway and roadways to go one way on a path out -- you take people to the closest area that is figured to be safe and you put them up in their shelters, hotels, arenas, schools, etc. It's been done in other parts of the country.  So instead of evacuating people he left people in harms way with no way to get out.  They are now stuck with rising water and additional rain fall for days.  Yes, no one knew it was going to be a Cat 4 with this much rain and a higher than expected storm surge, but when you have a Cat 3 coming at you, you don't just sit there and do nothing!  It boils down to they were absolutely unprepared - shame on them!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 11:14:04 pm by libertybele »
Continued prayers for Trump's safety and that the Lord God Jesus Christ surrounds him with angels to protect him from all evil. 

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #644 on: August 27, 2017, 11:24:28 pm »
I can't imagine when Harvey was predicted to be a Cat 3 meaning that devastating damage is likely and added to that they predicted a 12-15 ft. storm surge; which in itself devastating he did nothing. Having been through several hurricanes, him not encouraging people to evacuate is unacceptable.  Even before it hit land it was upgraded to a Cat 4 meaning that catastrophic damage is likely, then they announced a higher storm surge and up to 30 inches of rain. At that point (if there was time to get out) to not to declare a mandatory evacuation is absolutely unacceptable.  He stated that sometimes the evacuation makes things worse.  B.S.  He and his team of people weren't properly prepared and rather than make some type of attempt to get the people out ahead of the storm, he did nothing.  Meanwhile, these people are still getting pummeled with rain and rising water.  This makes me angry.  It's not like TX has never had a hurricane or two to deal with and he should have known!

You say you have been thru several hurricanes. Then you should know that evacuations are only declared for the population living in areas affected by storm surge. This storm was not predicted to strike Houston so the surge in the local area was to be minimal. Houston is some miles from the gulf and storm surge only affects a small population, even with a direct strike. Evacuations are not to be taken lightly. Evacuations can also cause more deaths than shelters in place. Just look at the deaths that have taken place in prior evacuations. Homes flood even by tropical depressions. Mandatory Evacuation? Get Real!

Online libertybele

« Reply #645 on: August 27, 2017, 11:26:03 pm »
On the lighter side; obviously a  dog in TX knew it was time to head out (bag of dog food in mouth).

https://www.rt.com/viral/401059-otis-hurricane-harvey-dog/
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 11:26:54 pm by libertybele »

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #646 on: August 27, 2017, 11:34:08 pm »

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #647 on: August 27, 2017, 11:36:31 pm »
On the lighter side; obviously a  dog in TX knew it was time to head out (bag of dog food in mouth).

https://www.rt.com/viral/401059-otis-hurricane-harvey-dog/

What happened to the dog? I hope it has a happy ending

Oh ok just read the article Happy ending brave doggy.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 11:38:20 pm by Freya »

Offline TheMom

« Reply #648 on: August 27, 2017, 11:36:48 pm »
He did the right thing.  Harvey came on shore 170 miles south of the Houston area.  The areas in the Houston area sent out both mandatory & volunteer evac notices on Thursday night.  It was predicted that the Houston area would receive lots of rain from this storm; those that live in areas prone to flood should have had enough common sense to evac.  Had he given the evac order either Friday night or Saturday, there would have been so much more damage ~ the ways out of town became flooded and with over 1 million cars on the freeways, how many people would have been stranded?  Keep in mind the evac routes go from 6/4 lanes to 2 lanes, that would cause major back ups.
I'm fluent in three languages: English, Sarcasm, and Profanity.

Online corbe

« Reply #649 on: August 27, 2017, 11:37:59 pm »
   Looks like a bag of ol' Roy too (Walmart Brand), my dogs won't touch that stuff for some reason. 
   Just saying that's a very smart and grateful dog.   

Gotta good story about when Sam Walton visited my wal~mart warehouse with his dogs, he even wrote about it in his autobiography, they didn't eat ol' Roy either. another time perhaps.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.