Author Topic: Hurricane Harvey Public Advisory  (Read 103007 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Hurricane Harvey Public Advisory
« Reply #700 on: August 28, 2017, 12:10:35 pm »
God be with you.  We evacuated from Rosharon to a friends camping trailer in their driveway in Sienna Plantation, Missouri City.  The 59 ft @ Richmond is going to put more than the Sienna Levees were designed to hold (100 year flood design).  So we may be evacuating again tomorrow.  The 59 ft is expected Tuesday evening.  I understand Greatwood Levees won't hold up to that either.
We all wish you well @thackney  and you have a place to return to when the waters recede.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #701 on: August 28, 2017, 12:25:06 pm »
Add another 5.25 inches overnight bringing the event total to 23.80 inches.   Still safe, dry, and all systems go. 

Praying for the many who are suffering right now.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 12:26:33 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #702 on: August 28, 2017, 12:28:08 pm »
Apparently New Orleans didn't learn their lesson from Katrina... there's a story on Fox talking about how they are preparing for floods from Harvey amid pump failures.  *****rollingeyes*****

Last report I heard said there were 14 pumps down.  Seriously, how IS this possible???? 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #703 on: August 28, 2017, 12:38:10 pm »

...hmm...did some back tracking.  Harvey developed into a tropical storm on August 17 -- it actually weakened into a tropical wave on August 19 -- it redeveloped on August 23 to hurricane strength and by the next day  Harvey intensified, and reached Cat. 4 strength and on the eve of August 25 hit Rockport.  Hurricanes are unpredictable. Once Harvey became a hurricane it moved and strengthened at incredible speed -- the people roughly had a day or a day and a half at best to prepare and evacuate.  Not a whole lot of time at all.  The governor encourage people to get out. If indeed the major discouraged people that is an atrocity; that would be like encouraging people to stay in a burning building because along the escape route they may encounter other burning buildings.

No, 1.5 days to evacuate 6.75 million people?  Not possible.  Even if all of them had reliable cars, and they were sitting them, all packed and fueled up, they wouldn't have been able to evacuate before the hurricane hit.  Would they have been safer stuck in the middle of a massive traffic jam when it hit?  It's not simply encountering a burning building; it's winds and flooding. 

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #704 on: August 28, 2017, 12:39:27 pm »
HOUSTON: Flooding along key city bayou hits ‘catastrophic’ levels
American Statesman, Aug 28, 2017

1:15 a.m. update: The Army Corps of Engineers began to open two far west Harris County dams hours ahead of schedule, which will eventually add a torrent of water — tens of thousands of gallons of water per second — onto an already flooded major city bayou.

Officials in Harris County opened the Addicks and Barker dams at 11:59 p.m., releasing 800 cubic feet of water per second, per second into a swollen Buffalo Bayou, which has already spilled over its banks and into neighborhoods across Houston. That relative trickle will build to a gusher over the next 6 to 8 hours, eventually topping out at 8,000 cubic feet of water — roughly 60,000 gallons — of water flowing into the bayou every second.

The Corps opened both dams far earlier than the 2 a.m. opening initially planned for Addicks and nearly 12 hours before the 11 a.m. time initially scheduled for Barker.

“There’s just the changing weather conditions,” said Army Corps of Engineers spokesman Randy Cephus, pinning the dramatic timetable change to heavy rains to the north. “More recent modeling led us to make this decision at this time.”

At an earlier news conference, Harris County officials said the influx of additional water into the bayou would only amount to a marginal increase in the amount of water already flowing.

More:  http://www.statesman.com/weather/hurricanes/houston-flooding-along-key-city-bayou-hits-catastrophic-levels/prtx1Xazhy56VkDci4jLZN/

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #705 on: August 28, 2017, 12:41:32 pm »

Online Right_in_Virginia

Offline thackney

« Reply #707 on: August 28, 2017, 12:44:40 pm »
This is a very good tool for those in Fort Bend County.

Interactive Map for Evacuation Zones
http://fbcoem.org/map-for-evacuation-zones-mapa-de-zonas-de-evacuacion/
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #708 on: August 28, 2017, 12:58:49 pm »
This is a veary good tool for those in Fort Bend County.

Interactive Map for Evacuation Zones
http://fbcoem.org/map-for-evacuation-zones-mapa-de-zonas-de-evacuacion/

Praying for you guys and frustrated as the dickens that's all i can do at present!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online libertybele

« Reply #709 on: August 28, 2017, 01:10:57 pm »
No, 1.5 days to evacuate 6.75 million people?  Not possible.  Even if all of them had reliable cars, and they were sitting them, all packed and fueled up, they wouldn't have been able to evacuate before the hurricane hit.  Would they have been safer stuck in the middle of a massive traffic jam when it hit?  It's not simply encountering a burning building; it's winds and flooding.

I get the wind a flooding (been there).  All I'm saying is to discourage people to flee from safety because of a possibility of things being worse than fleeing was wrong.  The media of course is all over this and the mayor is being highly criticized. The media is questioning that a Republican governor was laughed at by a DEM mayor and others for encouraging the evacuation.  Here is the video - Perry deflects, but bottom line Abbot as governor should have been listened to.  Video:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/5554592936001/?#sp=show-clips
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 01:12:20 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #710 on: August 28, 2017, 01:25:27 pm »
Last report I heard said there were 14 pumps down.  Seriously, how IS this possible????

With all the money that was pumped into the city to fix things and the alleged revisions to the Levy boards and who sits on them...technically is shouldn't have happened.

But when you have Liberals running things.....
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online libertybele

« Reply #711 on: August 28, 2017, 01:28:26 pm »
Fire rescue groups coming from SWFL to help along with the Salvation Army from Palm Beach.

http://www.wpbf.com/article/fire-rescue-group-to-assist-with-texas-search-and-rescue-efforts/12104596

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #712 on: August 28, 2017, 01:39:48 pm »
Made it to Day2.  27.88 inches of rain for the last 48hrs. Rain was steady yesterday, but no torrents. Homes across the street from me lost power last night and still out.

Online catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #713 on: August 28, 2017, 01:42:56 pm »
Hey folks, am back.  Relocated to one of the other residences.    Didn't want the cabin fever associated with 20- 40 inches of rain.

Now.....  Is everyone ready for the best news in days on this sorry storm.   Check out the dry air intrusion (Yellow) into the storm.  Hopefully this will squeeze out the P out the Preciptable potential  of this sucker. Sure not out of the woods, but some nice glimmers.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #715 on: August 28, 2017, 01:46:46 pm »

@Right_in_Virginia

I know it seems impossible, but government in Louisiana, and particularly  New Orleans,  is FAR worse than what we see in Washington DC.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 02:11:59 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #716 on: August 28, 2017, 01:49:38 pm »
Hey folks, am back.  Relocated to one of the other residences.    Didn't want the cabin fever associated with 20- 40 inches of rain.

Now.....  Is everyone ready for the best news in days on this sorry storm.   Check out the dry air intrusion (Yellow) into the storm.  Hopefully this will squeeze out the P out the Preciptable potential  of this sucker. Sure not out of the woods, but some nice glimmers.

That's outstanding news!

Online libertybele

« Reply #717 on: August 28, 2017, 01:50:03 pm »
Prayers for those in TX and those especially in Houston ....

Lord God, we pray for relief for those impacted by Harvey and ask that further rainfall is minimal  in Houston and the surrounding areas. We ask for protection for those who have lost their homes, for those affected by flooding, and for those who will be affected in the days ahead.

Please bless and protect the first responders, agencies and volunteers working to rescue and bring hope to South Texas.

In Jesus Name,

Amen

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #718 on: August 28, 2017, 01:57:43 pm »
I'm afraid that one man's blessing may be another man's curse as the bulk of the rain looks like it's leaving our area and heading to Louisiana.

Online libertybele

« Reply #719 on: August 28, 2017, 02:07:02 pm »
I'm afraid that one man's blessing may be another man's curse as the bulk of the rain looks like it's leaving our area and heading to Louisiana.

Praying for those in Harvey's path and praying for Harvey to completely dissipate.

Offline endicom

« Reply #720 on: August 28, 2017, 02:10:40 pm »

That rain is thankfully not lingering in one spot as it did over Houston.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #721 on: August 28, 2017, 02:15:41 pm »
Harvey's center has moved back to the coastline.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #722 on: August 28, 2017, 02:51:58 pm »
Just popping in to hope everyone who's down there riding it out is well and safe, and may it be over soon.
The Republic is lost.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #723 on: August 28, 2017, 03:04:39 pm »
East and north of here are flooded.
With the addicks and Barker reservoirs, and the Brazos river issues. South, west and northwest will be flooded too.
Releasing water from addicks and barker now.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 03:05:02 pm by GrouchoTex »

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #724 on: August 28, 2017, 03:06:14 pm »
East and north of here are flooded.
With the addicks and Barker reservoirs, and the Brazos river issues. South, west and northwest will be flooded too.
Releasing water from addicks and barker now.
**nononono*

- J. R. R. Tolkien