Author Topic: Cruz: 'Catastrophic' if Senate fails to pass ObamaCare repeal  (Read 9312 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

Re: Cruz: 'Catastrophic' if Senate fails to pass ObamaCare repeal
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2017, 01:47:00 am »
Thank you, @Right_in_Virginia -- I appreciate the link, although I do not have time to sit and listen for the entire two hours.  Honestly, Cruz's opinion doesn't matter enough to me to spend that much time on it; I'm sure it is interesting enough, but how I feel about the bill will depend more on how it impacts my family and my job than on anything Ted has to say about it.

Fair enough @Polly Ticks  ^-^

Online libertybele

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2017, 01:51:14 am »
What he's in favor of is THIS bill with some modifications from the Senate...which is no more a full repeal than what we currently have. He's not an idiot, he knows full repeal will NEVER pass the Senate...as it couldn't even get through the House. I think we all hope he can squeeze in some more conservative concepts into the Senate version, but he is going to compromise as much as necessary to get this bill passed. Because he "gets" that pass it must. So you are entirely wrong as to his holding out for some miraculous full repeal, that is not what Cruz is saying.

What I have heard Cruz state is that not fully repealing the ACA is going to be catastrophic for the GOP in '18 and he is correct.  Collins and Cronyn are the ones working on the Senate bill.  Cruz and Paul have already drafted their own bills ... they along with Lee are all for REPEAL and they have a bill ready to replace.  McConnell is the Senate leader, not Cruz or Paul ... it is up to McConnell here to get the ball rolling in the right direction.

Lee and Paul's seats are not up for re-election.  Cruz's is.  He's really between a rock and a hard place.  IF he votes for anything other than repeal he will lose supporters and if he doesn't vote along with the GOP in the Senate he will be blamed for the bill failing.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2017, 02:00:10 am »
Thank you, @Right_in_Virginia -- I appreciate the link, although I do not have time to sit and listen for the entire two hours.  Honestly, Cruz's opinion doesn't matter enough to me to spend that much time on it; I'm sure it is interesting enough, but how I feel about the bill will depend more on how it impacts my family and my job than on anything Ted has to say about it.

What Ted though is saying is absolutely correct.  The people were promised REPEAL.  The majority of our Senators and Representatives campaigned on the promise of REPEAL.  It is going to be catastrophic to the GOP in '18 if the people are given anything but REPEAL.  The House and Senate already passed a bill awhile ago that Bammy vetoed.  Cruz and Paul have both come up with their own bills.  There is absolutely no reason why they cannot vote to fully REPEAL the ACA. So they know voting to repeal it probably won't fly, but let the DEMS vote against it and then let the RINO's put a noose around their necks.  There are 9 GOP Senate seats up for grabs.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2017, 02:15:48 am »
I'm disgusted that the House didn't fully repeal the ACA and seems that they quickly pushed a bill through and tossed it to the Senate ... so ... now the Senate has two choices ... repeal and completely draft a new bill (which is what I'm hoping) or rewrite a version of the House bill. 

They are never, ever going to give up that revenue stream.

With Collins and Cronyn spearheading the bill in the Senate I am not very hopeful; especially because this puts our majority in jeopardy and other than McConnell and Schumer, Collins and Cronyn are the two worst possible choices.

Nope. it's heading for single payer, exactly where it's been heading all along - watch and see.
And they're cutting their necks to spite their noses.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2017, 02:18:18 am »
The very last question Kudlow asks Cruz is about the likelihood of the Senate passing anything .... in answering this question Cruz says we've been promising this for seven years .... it would be "catastrophic if we do not do it now ....

Listen again @Sanguine

*****rollingeyes*****

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2017, 02:20:39 am »
Neither chamber will pass a repeal, ever

Exactly right. That option alone is not viable.

They're going for reforming Obamacare ....  repealing the mandate, repealing the taxes, cutting back the entitlement subsidies, lowering premiums, including increased competition, incentives for Tort Reform and greater State control.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 02:47:09 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Online libertybele

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2017, 02:30:11 am »
Exactly right. That option alone is not viable.

They're going for reforming Obamacare ....  repealing the mandate, repealing the taxes, cutting back the entitlement subsidies, lowering premiums, including increased competition, incentives for Tort Reform and greater State control.

The promise was to REPEAL and then REPLACE; and that IS a viable option. So far...repealing bits and pieces is what the House has proposed.  The Senate IS coming up with their own bill; those in charge are Collins and Cronyn.  Collins wants to fund PP and Cronyn wants to fund pre-existing conditions.  So ... you are right there will be no full repeal and it WILL be catastrophic for the GOP in '18; which is exactly what Cruz stated.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2017, 02:41:41 am »
The promise was to REPEAL and then REPLACE; and that IS a viable option. So far...repealing bits and pieces is what the House has proposed.  The Senate IS coming up with their own bill; those in charge are Collins and Cronyn.  Collins wants to fund PP and Cronyn wants to fund pre-existing conditions. 

Actually, the promise was to repeal AND replace.  Repeal alone would throw coverage and access into chaos.  It simply is not going to happen.

There will be pre-existing condition coverage ... the Senate will not pull this one.  And for the rest of what the conservatives in the Senate want, I quoted Cruz almost verbatim in the post you're responding to.

As for Collins, she may be able to fund PP as the Governor of her state .... but this will be an intense negotiation.

It will come together in conference and it will pass ... even if it takes Pence to cast the deciding vote in the Senate.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 02:43:48 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline rodamala

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2017, 02:43:56 am »
Exactly right. That option is not viable.

They're going for reforming Obamacare ....  repealing the mandate, repealing the taxes, cutting back the entitlement subsidies, lowering premiums, including increased competition and greater State control.

Thats nice.  Now how about getting government out of the healthcare insurance business?

Crickets.

In recent times I have visited 2 shopping malls (something I have not done in a few years).  One in Erie, PA.  The other in Grapevine, TX.  One thing I noticed that existed in both of these malls that I had never seen before was a store DEDICATED to selling medical scrubs to the multitude of frontline healthcare providers (Home Health Aids/ CNAs/LPNs/RNs/MDs) now employed by the government-medical industrial complex.

A whole industry built upon the fear of pain, sickness, and death.

Online libertybele

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2017, 02:55:38 am »
Actually, the promise was to repeal AND replace.  Repeal alone would throw coverage and access into chaos.  It simply is not going to happen.

There will be pre-existing condition coverage ... the Senate will not pull this one.  And for the rest of what the conservatives in the Senate want, I quoted Cruz almost verbatim in the post you're responding to.

As for Collins, she may be able to fund PP as the Governor of her state .... but this will be an intense negotiation.

It will come together in conference and it will pass ... even if it takes Pence to cast the deciding vote in the Senate.

Good grief.  Get a grip! ... No one is throwing people off a cliff or into chaos!  No one ever stated REPEAL and then do nothing.  Of course after repeal they would replace.  This whole premise of repealing and just letting people dangle is absurd; i.e., you have a homeowner's policy, that you want to replace...you cancel your existing policy and replace it with a new policy.  In essence same things= will happen with the ACA.  Repeal the dang thing and implement (replace it) a new plan. 

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2017, 02:59:50 am »
Thats nice.  Now how about getting government out of the healthcare insurance business? Sounds great, how will you make that happen without the votes?

Crickets. They are chirping plenty, you're just not listening.

In recent times I have visited 2 shopping malls (something I have not done in a few years).  One in Erie, PA.  The other in Grapevine, TX.  One thing I noticed that existed in both of these malls that I had never seen before was a store DEDICATED to selling medical scrubs to the multitude of frontline healthcare providers (Home Health Aids/ CNAs/LPNs/RNs/MDs) now employed by the government-medical industrial complex.

A whole industry built upon the fear of pain, sickness, and death. Actually, its a whole industry of people dedicated to relieving pain, sickness and death

This idiotic unwillingness to accept reality is quite frustrating to anyone with a modicum of sense. If you don't have the votes, you can't do a full repeal....and doing nothing could bring down the whole economy, and any hope of conservative government for the next few decades. So arguing as to why repeal is better is pointless...we can only do what can be done through legislation, and that requires more votes than we have.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2017, 03:13:22 am »
Good grief.  Get a grip! ... No one is throwing people off a cliff or into chaos!  No one ever stated REPEAL and then do nothing.

I do have a grip...and you're almost there  ^-^.   Repeal is happening as a part of the reform, not as a separate and distinct step.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2017, 03:28:06 am »
This idiotic unwillingness to accept reality is quite frustrating to anyone with a modicum of sense. If you don't have the votes, you can't do a full repeal....and doing nothing could bring down the whole economy, and any hope of conservative government for the next few decades. So arguing as to why repeal is better is pointless...we can only do what can be done through legislation, and that requires more votes than we have.

Then let it crash and burn. Rather than letting it fall of it's own weight, Republicans will save it. And contrary to what you say, NOT repealing Obamacare is what will guarantee that no republican will be elected. I will not vote for a single one. I  will vote against them all in the primary and I will vote 3rd party in the election. If this crap stands, not even Cruz himself would get my vote.

Government has NO BUSINESS in healthcare. period.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2017, 04:04:32 am »
Gallup poll of national opinions about healthcare. Long before Obama, during, and now after.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/4708/healthcare-system.aspx
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2017, 04:34:03 am »
@Right_in_Virginia doesn't want an actual repeal. Ever. She's made that clear. She loves this bill and Ryan and Trump and everything they stand for.

Let that sink in so you understand who you are dealing with - someone who has spent every day on this board defending this bill and arguing against an Obama care repeal.

She's an entitlement-loving person, just like her hero, Trump.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2017, 04:39:02 am »
Come on people. This is Lyin' Ted telling us this. His wife works for Goldman so obviously he is getting kickbacks to say this. I wouldn't be surprised of the Trilateralists, Monsanto and Ladies Foot Locker were also lining his pockets.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2017, 04:39:02 am »
I do have a grip...and you're almost there  ^-^.   Repeal is happening as a part of the reform, not as a separate and distinct step.

She lives on a different planet and doesn't understand that the core of Obamacare was about creating an entitlement to insurance and healthcare, regardless of... well... anything. Nothing in this deal bill changes the entitlement. People will still get it. The slush fund will pay for it.

So pay no attention to the person who thinks that when the entitlement stands, that means repeal.
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2017, 04:41:29 am »
Come on people. This is Lyin' Ted telling us this. His wife works for Goldman so obviously he is getting kickbacks to say this. I wouldn't be surprised of the Trilateralists, Monsanto and Ladies Foot Locker were also lining his pockets.

Frank, Frank, Frank... now that the Trumpettes think he has said something that could be construed to support Trump's HUGE bill, they've decided to release files showing Ted Cruz's dad actually tried to stop Oswald, doncha know?
1. Trump is never wrong.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2017, 04:52:21 am »
Frank, Frank, Frank... now that the Trumpettes think he has said something that could be construed to support Trump's HUGE bill, they've decided to release files showing Ted Cruz's dad actually tried to stop Oswald, doncha know?

Aw geez. I didn't get the memo on that. So now he is Tryin' Ted?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2017, 05:20:48 am »
The Builder Burgers, too.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline rodamala

« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2017, 06:54:41 am »

Ah... you import Chinese slave labor made medical scrubs, I see.

Offline rodamala

« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2017, 06:56:37 am »
@Right_in_Virginia doesn't want an actual repeal. Ever. She's made that clear. She loves this bill and Ryan and Trump and everything they stand for.

Let that sink in so you understand who you are dealing with - someone who has spent every day on this board defending this bill and arguing against an Obama care repeal.

She's an entitlement-loving person, just like her hero, Trump.

Quoted for truth.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2017, 10:56:21 am »
Ah... you import Chinese slave labor made medical scrubs, I see.

@rodamala

@Mesaclone post sounds familiar, doesn't it? It's the old "settled law argument. "Hey hey hey... we don't have the votes. We can't change anything. We should just give up. It's settled law."

He cloaks that bullcrap in some disingenuous words about "sense."

If he had any sense, he would see that this bill fast tracks us to single payer, something his hero Donny actually admires and wants.

"Everybody is going to have insurance... The government's going to pay for it."
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 10:58:36 am by bolobaby »
1. Trump is never wrong.

Online libertybele

« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2017, 11:19:35 am »

There are pieces of the House version that scratches the surface of repeal but in the end the garbage that came of the House didn't fully repeal the ACA that Bammy rammed down our throats and the Senate hasn't yet spewed their version of Bammycrap. That is reality.

We keep hearing that there aren't enough votes on everything from impeaching Bammy (which would have been the smart thing to do) to repealing the ACA. Take the vote on repealing the ACA.  The public deserves to know who stood by their promise of repeal and who lied.

Repeal is the promise that has been made over and over again for the past 7 years by the GOP.  We have a majority in the House and Senate.  So again, Cruz is absolutely correct.  NOT repealing the ACA will be catastrophic to the GOP in '18.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 11:24:10 am by libertybele »