Author Topic: Levin: Biggest News Yesterday Was Not Obamacare … and 'This Is Going to Be an Earthquake'  (Read 22176 times)

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Look, this isn't getting us anywhere.  We fundamentally disagree, and the personal insults don't serve anyone.  Neither of us is going to persuade the other, so let's just let it drop.  You can try to convince other people to your side as I will to mine, but sniping at each other is a waste of time.

I'm not sniping at you.  There are legitimate concerns and reservations by a lot of folks that the Convention movement has not helped to assuage at all.   I asked specific questions in the lots of stuff I wrote that you asserted said nothing new, that you did not touch. 

I have no 'side' to persuade anyone to take outside of trying to get people to acknowledge and address the root cause of how we got here. 
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline libertybele

I'm not sniping at you.  There are legitimate concerns and reservations by a lot of folks that the Convention movement has not helped to assuage at all.   I asked specific questions in the lots of stuff I wrote that you asserted said nothing new, that you did not touch. 

I have no 'side' to persuade anyone to take outside of trying to get people to acknowledge and address the root cause of how we got here.

Calling for a Article V Convention is of course not without risk; but a risk that many are willing to take for the simple fact that they don't feel that we have any options left.  Other than taking to the streets, what other option(s) or solutions do you see in lieu of calling a convention?

Blatant corruption and overreach of those in government and are elected officials refusing to hold them accountable or looking the other way is what got us here.  Voters voting for party rather than the individual best suited for the office got us here.  Liberalism in our classrooms and brainwashing our students got us here.  LBJ's promise of his 'Great Society' and all of his entitlements is what got us here. Ignorance.  Denial.  Apathy.  Greed.  Indifference.  Political correctness.  There are a multitude of reasons as to why we are here today. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Other than taking to the streets, what other option(s) or solutions do you see in lieu of calling a convention?

There are none.  As I said earlier, I am for the effort only because I believe it needs to be attempted so that we attain the just cause to do what will be necessary to preserve what we have left.  I do not have faith or expect such an attempt to be successful in putting the Beast back in the cage and restoring a Republic.  Not with the kind of people we have devolved into.  A lawless corrupted system of government that is reflective of the people that put them there will not permit itself to be restrained by laws they will never recognize or abide by.  Government WILL NOT shrink itself - or permit itself to be limited.

That's a fact.  That is a fact of history and human nature.  I do not hear ANYONE addressing that fact because everything I am reading and hearing is that if a convention is held and Amendments are passed that those will correct the Statism we currently enjoy.

Blatant corruption and overreach of those in government and are elected officials refusing to hold them accountable or looking the other way is what got us here.  Voters voting for party rather than the individual best suited for the office got us here.  Liberalism in our classrooms and brainwashing our students got us here.  LBJ's promise of his 'Great Society' and all of his entitlements is what got us here. Ignorance.  Denial.  Apathy.  Greed.  Indifference.  Political correctness.  There are a multitude of reasons as to why we are here today.

You just made John Adams' entire point and proved that what he said was entirely correct when he wrote: "We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge, or gallantry, would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline libertybele

There are none.  As I said earlier, I am for the effort only because I believe it needs to be attempted so that we attain the just cause to do what will be necessary to preserve what we have left.  I do not have faith or expect such an attempt to be successful in putting the Beast back in the cage and restoring a Republic.  Not with the kind of people we have devolved into.  A lawless corrupted system of government that is reflective of the people that put them there will not permit itself to be restrained by laws they will never recognize or abide by.  Government WILL NOT shrink itself - or permit itself to be limited.

That's a fact.  That is a fact of history and human nature.  I do not hear ANYONE addressing that fact because everything I am reading and hearing is that if a convention is held and Amendments are passed that those will correct the Statism we currently enjoy.

You just made John Adams' entire point and proved that what he said was entirely correct when he wrote: "We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge, or gallantry, would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."

"Takin' It to the Streets".......

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqN7lq4NQB0
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 12:37:32 am by libertybele »

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

The Federal Beast and the SCOTUS have instructed the states that they DO NOT have any power to infringe upon or limit Federal power or intrusion.  That was made abundantly clear when Arizona dared to enforce existing federal law on it's Southern Border when the Beast refused to under Obama.

Nope.  The States too have bought the lie that all power resides in Mordor.

Check Smoking' Joe's post above for the historical fact concerning when the States lost their sovereign power and why.
'Instructions' as you note mean nothing.

I instead look at the Constitution.  It is not an 'Instruction' but a document that sets out the rule of law for this country.

Abide by it, and it will serve us well.

Why do you have a problem with that?

And what does Mordor have to do with this country?

Are you some freak from a Fantasy movie crowd?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

@the_doc

The "other way" I am referring to is to elect people to our own state legislatures who understand the 9th and 10th amendments and will exercise their power to just say no to the fedgov!  I personally don't think any other way has a snowball's chance in hell.
So you basically reject anything the Founders gave us in the Constitution to overcome the federal government.

What I believe you fail to comprehend is exercising the 9th and 10th amendments are a solo act whereas the Article V is a combination of states that wields substantially a lot more power.  The feds can attack an individual state, but CANNOT 3/4 of them.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
'Instructions' as you note mean nothing.

Tell that to SCOTUS who ruled that the States have no standing to intrude on federal law.

I instead look at the Constitution.  It is not an 'Instruction' but a document that sets out the rule of law for this country.

Tell that to the feds.  Tell that to the Courts.  Tell that to the Democrat and Republican Party leaders. 

They have demonstrated that the rule of law is arbitrary depending on whether it advances their agenda or not.

Why do you have a problem with that?

Did IQs suddenly drop in the last few months?  I did not say a thing about having a problem with the Constitution.  It is clear the government, the courts and the Left have a problem with the Constitution and the majority population has no use for it unless it gives them free sh*t at someone else's expense.

And what does Mordor have to do with this country?

It's right on the Potomac where Congress meets and the White House sits.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 02:40:59 am by INVAR »

Quote from: libertybele on Today at 06:48:26 PM
Other than taking to the streets, what other option(s) or solutions do you see in lieu of calling a convention?

There are none.  As I said earlier, I am for the effort only because I believe it needs to be attempted so that we attain the just cause to do what will be necessary to preserve what we have left.  I do not have faith or expect such an attempt to be successful in putting the Beast back in the cage and restoring a Republic.
You might as well crawl back into the swamp you came from.

I have much more faith that this country can overcome its current problems, which are considerable.

We do have a Constitution, given to us as a God-fearing nation.  Why not do what the Founders wrote into it that enables an Article V convention rather than just calling it quits and throwing in the towel like you do?

Tell that to SCOTUS who ruled that the States have no standing to intrude on federal law.

Tell that to the feds.  Tell that to the Courts.  Tell that to the Democrat and Republican Party leaders. 

They have demonstrated that the rule of law is arbitrary depending on whether it advances their agenda or not.

Did IQs suddenly drop in the last few months?  I did not say a thing about having a problem with the Constitution.  It is clear the government, the courts and the Left have a problem with the Constitution and the majority population has no use for it unless it gives them free sh*t at someone else's expense.

It's right on the Potomac where Congress meets and the White House sits.
You have a free ride to the loony B&B when you wish.  Especially the delusion on a Fantasy book and movie.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
"Takin' It to the Streets".......

1982, Doobie Bros.' Farewell Tour, recorded at Santa Barbara.  Reagan was in his 2nd year of his Presidency in 1982.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 03:11:51 am by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
We do have a Constitution, given to us as a God-fearing nation.  Why not do what the Founders wrote into it that enables an Article V convention rather than just calling it quits and throwing in the towel like you do?

So you too have a reading comprehension problem along with an inability to grasp concepts spelled out in English. 

Either that, or like the Trump Militant - you simply knee jerk into outrage and ridicule over anything that does not cheerlead or rah-rah your particular advocacy.

You have a free ride to the loony B&B when you wish.  Especially the delusion on a Fantasy book and movie.

Metaphor and allegory are also apparently outside of your grasp of comprehension.

Offline jedidah

Am not a big supporter of this idea.   By my count,  most amendments after the original 10 were massive screw-ups.   

People nowadays are way dumber than the founders,   and I can see them making a worse hash of it than it already is.

My thoughts exactly.

So you too have a reading comprehension problem along with an inability to grasp concepts spelled out in English. 

Either that, or like the Trump Militant - you simply knee jerk into outrage and ridicule over anything that does not cheerlead or rah-rah your particular advocacy.

Metaphor and allegory are also apparently outside of your grasp of comprehension.
Try keeping some humility in what you espouse, and you might make some more followers to your cause.

I believe the cause you have now is one of continued negativity, degradation of others, and pretty much a stiff.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Try keeping some humility in what you espouse, and you might make some more followers to your cause.

'Humility'???  Are you some kind of snowflake?

What makes you think I want followers?  I'm not interested in having anyone follow me. 

I point them to the truth - they can look into it themselves to see whether or not I'm correct or flip me the big middle finger and tell me to eff off because they are offended I dared to utter my viewpoint.  I don't care.

My cause is the Kingdom of God, not salvation through politics.

I believe the cause you have now is one of continued negativity, degradation of others, and pretty much a stiff.

Anyone speaking the plain truth today is regarded as such and worse.  I stand in good company.

Plus, if you hadn't noticed, I really do not care what anyone thinks of me except God and my family.  In fact I revel in adversity.

Offline libertybele

1982, Doobie Bros.' Farewell Tour, recorded at Santa Barbara.  Reagan was in his 2nd year of his Presidency in 1982.

Also in 1982:

Year End Close Dow Jones Industrial Average 1046
Interest Rates Year End Federal Reserve 11.50%
Average Cost of new house $82,200
Median Price Of and Existing Home $67,800
Average Income per year $21,050.00
Average Monthly Rent $320.00
Cost of a gallon of Gas 91 cents
New Car Average price $7,983.00

Severe recession begins in the United States.

Israeli forces invade Lebanon

Israeli returns Sinai to Egypt

The First Issue of USA Today is published

Doctors performed the first implant of a permanent artificial heart designed by Robert Jarvik

The Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington DC is dedicated

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Also in 1982:

Year End Close Dow Jones Industrial Average 1046
Interest Rates Year End Federal Reserve 11.50%
Average Cost of new house $82,200
Median Price Of and Existing Home $67,800
Average Income per year $21,050.00
Average Monthly Rent $320.00
Cost of a gallon of Gas 91 cents
New Car Average price $7,983.00

Severe recession begins in the United States.

Israeli forces invade Lebanon

Israeli returns Sinai to Egypt

The First Issue of USA Today is published

Doctors performed the first implant of a permanent artificial heart designed by Robert Jarvik

The Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington DC is dedicated

Interesting. Some folks can find negativity just about everywhere. In 1982 and today, Reagan's Presidency is a positive thing with me.

BTW the next song at that 1982 concert by the Dobbie Brothers, was "Jesus is Just All Right."
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Interesting. Some folks can find negativity just about everywhere. In 1982 and today, Reagan's Presidency is a positive thing with me.

BTW the next song at that 1982 concert by the Dobbie Brothers, was "Jesus is Just All Right."
1982 was a drag in many ways for me, too. I began the longest period of unemployment in my life in August, as the 75% drop in oil rigs put me out of work.
Thirteen months later I found a job doing contract work (actually, it found me). In the meantime, oilfield companies were paying minimum wage because so many hands were unemployed--if you could find any openings, and no one was getting 40 hours a week.
Qualifications didn't matter, as even the big companies had hiring freezes on.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
1982 was a drag in many ways for me, too. I began the longest period of unemployment in my life in August, as the 75% drop in oil rigs put me out of work.
Thirteen months later I found a job doing contract work (actually, it found me). In the meantime, oilfield companies were paying minimum wage because so many hands were unemployed--if you could find any openings, and no one was getting 40 hours a week.
Qualifications didn't matter, as even the big companies had hiring freezes on.

Same year my dad was let go by Clayton Williams for the same reason you became unemployed. He incorporated started his own consulting business and the rest is history.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Same year my dad was let go by Clayton Williams for the same reason you became unemployed. He incorporated started his own consulting business and the rest is history.
Like a dumbass I worked for other people for nearly 30 more years before I started mine. If I had known then what I know now...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline libertybele

Actually, 1982 was a really good year for me.  I got married (now 35 years)!  My husband and I both were employed; he with a defense contractor and I with a marketing company.  We were very fortunate as the 'recession' never really affected us; we were just starting out and the Reagan years were good to us.

Jesus Is Just Alright!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ2T107k1FU[/img]
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 10:57:46 am by libertybele »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
So you basically reject anything the Founders gave us in the Constitution to overcome the federal government.

What I believe you fail to comprehend is exercising the 9th and 10th amendments are a solo act whereas the Article V is a combination of states that wields substantially a lot more power.  The feds can attack an individual state, but CANNOT 3/4 of them.

I'm not rejecting any tools the founders gave us.  All I'm saying is that at present, I do not believe that any such convention would render any improvements and may well render catastrophe instead!

Solo acts are very often admired and emulated!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
I'm not rejecting any tools the founders gave us.  All I'm saying is that at present, I do not believe that any such convention would render any improvements and may well render catastrophe instead!

Solo acts are very often admired and emulated!

There is nothing wrong with the constitution we have now. (Or at least the one we had prior to the 16th and 17th amendments) The problem is with the people we entrust with the constitution and they are the fault of we the people.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Both Madison and Hamilton argued in favor of Article V in the Federalist papers.

“It guards equally against that extreme facility which would render the Constitution too mutable; and that extreme difficulty which might perpetuate its discovered faults.” ~ James Madison - Federalist 43.

Hamilton...that era's version of a Big Government type seconded Madison's opinion on the matter.

For those that argue against Artivle V here's what is says:

“The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as Part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States, or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress....”

The Framers knew that at some point political types would attempt to render the Constitution moot...and they provided a way for the States to fight back.

Article V is that way.

What the states...and individuals as well need to decide...is this...are they really the Constitutional Conservatives they claim to be and get behind an Article V convention to give the states back power that has been seized from them by the Federal Government...or are they just gonna be Conservative Couch potatoes who find it easier to sit around and bitch and moan about how bad things are because that's easier than actually doing something.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
There is nothing wrong with the constitution we have now. (Or at least the one we had prior to the 16th and 17th amendments) The problem is with the people we entrust with the constitution and they are the fault of we the people.

So, how do you recommend we restore it?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
So, how do you recommend we restore it?

Constitutional Amendment instituting term limits on the House and Senate would be a good start.

Not giving lifetime appointments to Federal Judges would be another.