Author Topic: ‘His beliefs are total opposite': Republican tries to block nominee from office because he is a Muslim  (Read 2509 times)

Offline kevindavis007

A Christian pastor in the nation’s third-most-populous county tried to stop a Muslim man from serving in the local Republican Party because of his religion.

The massive jurisdiction of Harris County, Tex. — with 4 million residents in the city of Houston and its surroundings — has more than 1,000 precincts, and the Republican Party appoints a chair for every single one. Approving the people picked by a committee to fill some of those spots should have been a run-of-the-mill task.

But Trebor Gordon stood up at a meeting of the county’s GOP on Monday night. He said that Syed Ali — a 62-year-old Houston resident who has been a loyal Republican since the Reagan administration — should not be appointed.

Gordon said that Ali should be blocked “on the grounds that Islam does not have any basis or any foundation. It is the total opposite of our foundation.

“Islam and Christianity do not mix,” Gordon said. Party chairman Paul Simpson said that Gordon serves as chaplain for the Harris County Republican Party and is a part-time pastor at a Houston-area church.

“During my prayer, this man did not bow his head. During the pledge of allegiance, he did not utter a word. He didn’t even try to fake it and move his lips,” Gordon said at the meeting, where attendees said nearly 200 people were present. “If you believe that a person can practice Islam and agree to the foundational principles of the Republican Party, it’s not right. It’s not true. It can’t happen. There are things on our platform that he and his beliefs are total opposite.”

Seeing her party chaplain make such a motion, precinct chair Felicia Winfree Cravens said she was stunned. “There were more shocked faces in that room than you could count,” she said. Cravens’s camera happened to be rolling — she said she was showing a friend how to use the new Facebook Live tool, so she was broadcasting the otherwise humdrum party meeting. Suddenly, she found herself capturing the discussion of Ali’s religion on tape.

After Gordon, a former Houston City Council candidate, made his motion that Ali should not be a precinct chair, Simpson asked Ali to step forward so the people in attendance could see him. Ali did.

The Houston area has more Muslim residents than most other parts of the United States. More than 1 percent of the city’s residents are Muslim, and the city has more than 80 mosques and at least 10 Muslim schools, according to the Houston Chronicle.

The debate over the motion was brief but contentious. One man brought up the party’s rules prohibiting discrimination on the basis of religion. That prompted another man, identified by Simpson and Cravens as precinct chair Mike Robertson, to stand up to ask whether Islam is a religion at all.

“Can I have a point of information?” Robertson said. “Has there been any factual information provided that Islam is a religion?”

Ali did not speak during the debate. One precinct chair, Dave Smith, came to his defense. “In our founding document, the Constitution, even back 230 years ago, when our founding fathers were establishing rules by which our country would be governed, they specifically put in there: no religious test,” Smith said. “No religious test is good enough for the founding fathers. It’s good enough for me.”

Simpson called for a voice vote on Ali’s nomination. In the video, numerous people can be heard agreeing with Gordon’s motion to block him. But in person, Simpson and Cravens both said it was clear that the majority voted in Ali’s favor. Simpson declared that the motion failed, and Ali was instated.

Ali told The Washington Post on Wednesday that he was surprised but not hurt by Gordon’s motion. “It doesn’t bother me at all, as a Republican, as an American, as a Muslim,” he said. “Everyone’s entitled to their view.” He said he appreciated that the majority of the people in the room voted in his favor, and many people he had never met before that night approached him after the meeting to offer “nothing but encouragement.”

“After that incident, God blessed those people who come to me,” Ali said.

Ali, a Houston resident, said he sees Republican values as deeply consistent with Muslim values. Both the party and the religion value preserving life, helping the needy and treating all people equally, he said. “I am happy and more stronger than before. I’ll do whatever I can do for the country and the party and the people.”

Gordon and Robertson did not respond to requests for comment Wednesday.

Simpson said Gordon was entitled to speak his thoughts. “I think it was healthy for it to come to a vote and not just be shot down. I’m a real big believer in letting people speak, state their opinion,” he said. He added that he disagreed with Gordon: “I’m in agreement with the vast majority of our grass roots that we don’t have religious tests for those who want to fight for our country and help elect Republicans and advance conservative principles.”

Cravens said that as someone active in Republican politics, she is seeing much more anti-Muslim sentiment in her Facebook feed lately, in conjunction with the rise of Donald Trump. “If there were a hashtag more intense than #NeverTrump, I would be it,” she said.

But she does not know whether Trump has increased anti-Muslim viewpoints or just exposed them. “I don’t know how much of that is preexistent that he’s tapped into, or how much of that is him making people feel safe to say things like that, or if I just didn’t notice it,” she said. “I wouldn’t want to lay at the feet of Donald Trump something that he merely capitalized on.”

Compared to Facebook posts, she would rather hear such views aired face to face at a grass-roots meeting like Monday night’s, the most local and most personal level of politics, she said. When the pastor and the Muslim candidate share the same room and the same goal of drumming up more Republican votes in their county, “meetings like that are where hearts and minds get changed.”

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2016/05/19/his-beliefs-are-total-opposite-republican-tries-to-block-nominee-from-office-because-he-is-muslim/

Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline DiogenesLamp

Very unpleasant situation.   

I see both sides of this,  and I would not want to have been in the position of having to deal with it. 

But the fact remains,  we are going to "polite"  ourselves to death.    I just posted a response about Islam in another thread,   and I wish I could ping the guy (Right_in_Virginia) to whom I posted it into this thread to see this example of what I am talking about. 

In the future we are going to have to make a choice regarding Islam.   The indications are that we are going to roll over when it has but a little bit of power in our land. 

Like I said,   all this "gay" related  stuff is going to go away when that day comes. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline kevindavis007

Personally I see no problem in having Muslims in the GOP..  Especially since this guy has been a Republican since the Reagan.. Nothing unpleasant about this at all..
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 09:54:55 pm by kevindavis »
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline flowers

I see both sides of this,  and I would not want to have been in the position of having to deal with it. 

But the fact remains,  we are going to "polite"  ourselves to death.    I just posted a response about Islam in another thread,   and I wish I could ping the guy (Right_in_Virginia) to whom I posted it into this thread to see this example of what I am talking about. 

In the future we are going to have to make a choice regarding Islam.   The indications are that we are going to roll over when it has but a little bit of power in our land. 

Like I said,   all this "gay" related  stuff is going to go away when that day comes.

Creeping sharia. Bridget Gabriel was the first I heard ever mention it.  She was raised sharia then turned once she saw the truth. @Right_in_Virginia

Offline DiogenesLamp

Creeping sharia. Bridget Gabriel was the first I heard ever mention it.  She was raised sharia then turned once she saw the truth. @Right_in_Virginia

When they get the upper hand,   they will make her turn back. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline flowers

When they get the upper hand,   they will make her turn back.
I don't think they will let her keep her head. She will be made a example of.

Offline DiogenesLamp

I don't think they will let her keep her head. She will be made a example of.

No doubt. 

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline sinkspur

Wow.  You despise gays and Muslims. 

Catholics and Jews OK with you?
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

There is no "Creezping sharia" in Houston Texas.  That is total nonsense.

The guy's been a Republican a lot longer than some on this thread have been alive.

It must be tough going through life being scared to death.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 10:54:51 pm by sinkspur »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Personally I see no problem in having Muslims in the GOP..  Especially since this guy has been a Republican since the Reagan.. Nothing unpleasant about this at all..

I agree; there are a lot of Muslims that are not "hard core";

Most Egyptians I'll bet want to get along with Israel, it's just a few unmentionables that want to cause violence and yes, percentages show that radicalism has wide support, that is undeniable but it still means not everyone is like that.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Brigitte Gabriel tells the story of how they had to hide during the Lebanese Civil War; anyway, I like to see her on TV; she knows. Still doesn't mean everyone is like the radicals though.

Offline kevindavis007

The guy's been a Republican a lot longer than some on this thread have been alive.

In fact this guy shows more respect to the Constitution than some 'Conservatives'.

Offline kevindavis007

I agree; there are a lot of Muslims that are not "hard core";

Most Egyptians I'll bet want to get along with Israel, it's just a few unmentionables that want to cause violence and yes, percentages show that radicalism has wide support, that is undeniable but it still means not everyone is like that.

I agree. I would like to see the conservative movement welcome people like him. Not people like that idiot preacher.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Ali, a Houston resident, said he sees Republican values as deeply consistent with Muslim values. Both the party and the religion value preserving life, helping the needy and treating all people equally, he said.

That's some good old fashioned Republican taqqiya right there.

Preserving life through beheading or stoning or placing people in acid baths. Treating women like dogs and making them wear bags and denying them an education.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline flowers

Houston.....Sheila Jackson Lees district right?

Offline sinkspur

Ali, a Houston resident, said he sees Republican values as deeply consistent with Muslim values. Both the party and the religion value preserving life, helping the needy and treating all people equally, he said.

That's some good old fashioned Republican taqqiya right there.

Preserving life through beheading or stoning or placing people in acid baths. Treating women like dogs and making them wear bags and denying them an education.

Has Ali been doing all that or advocating it?  Don't be silly.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Has Ali been doing all that or advocating it?  Don't be silly.

Ali said that muslims have the same values of preserving life and treating everyone equally and that is demonstrably untrue.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline mountaineer

Wow.  You despise gays and Muslims. 

Catholics and Jews OK with you?
Wow. Where did you see "despise" in the post?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mirraflake

In all due respect Diogenes do you have to sleep with a night light by you bed? 

The aspect of gays and Muslims just control your life. Neither are gonna take over and  make you go gay or bow to Islam.

Do you realize how few Muslims are in this country? I just drove back from vacation through 6 states and did not see a single mosque tower or  gays having sex by the side of the road.

Thought the women Muslims I did see in Falls Church VA at the mall  all looked very Americanized and they were hot-wearing latest American garb   yoga pants and skinny jeans.

Offline mirraflake

You do know Bridget Gabrielle to sell books and appearances has to scare people.

BTW the pic of the German soldier shooting the woman was pure propoganda. It was actually a Soviet soldier dressed in German uniform and the woman was an "actor"  to rile up the Russian citizens during WWII.

It is well debunked on most WWII sites.

Offline kevindavis007

The aspect of gays and Muslims just control your life. Neither are gonna take over and  make you go gay or bow to Islam.

Do you realize how few Muslims are in this country? I just drove back from vacation through 6 states and did not see a single mosque tower or  gays having sex by the side of the road.

Thought the women Muslims I did see in Falls Church VA at the mall  all looked very Americanized and they were hot-wearing latest American garb   yoga pants and skinny jeans.

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself..

Offline kevindavis007

FWIW, in my neck of the woods there is a Mosque, but you know what who cares..

Offline flowers

You are going to have a rude awakining at some point here. What 6 states? I am talking about the sharia/Muslims issue now. What 6 states did you drive thru?

Offline flowers

You do know Bridget Gabrielle to sell books and appearances has to scare people.

BTW the pic of the German soldier shooting the woman was pure propoganda. It was actually a Soviet soldier dressed in German uniform and the woman was an "actor"  to rile up the Russian citizens during WWII.

It is well debunked on most WWII sites.
Good! People need to wake up.

It is certainly true that not all Muslims are faithful to their full calling, but any Shari'a faithful Muslim, meaning any Muslim who accepts Islamic law as authoritative (even if he himself does not live up to its standards) strives for or at least dreams of the day when his country and the world will live under the mandates of Islamic law.

This Islamic calling can be accomplished through techniques ranging from gentle persuasion, propaganda and public relations, intellectual disputation, moral authority, implied threats, actual threats, political power, and violence. The goal remains the same: all of the non-Islamic world, and indeed all of the Islamic world, must submit to Shari'a. A Muslim who refuses to do so will be killed. That is the legal judgment in every major school of Islamic law. A non-Muslim, assuming he is not a pagan (typically a Christian or Jew) might be given the opportunity to live in a subservient status in an Islamic society and pay a special head tax to prove his submission. But this option is left to the Caliph or ruler at the time. Historically, even pagans (such as Hindus) have been given this option but the different schools of Islamic jurisprudence differ on the appropriateness of this dispensation.

Now to the Why? The question should be answered by just taking a look at your neighborhood mosque or Islamic day school. Because this country does not "discriminate" in its immigration policy, we now have several millions of Muslims in this country (the exact number is disputed but we can safely say it is at least 3 million and others suggest it might be as high as 6 million). Take a look at these statistics from a US government open source web site:

Demographic Facts

Offline mirraflake

You are going to have a rude awakining at some point here. What 6 states? I am talking about the sharia/Muslims issue now. What 6 states did you drive thru?
Actually 5 sorry. VA, MD, PA, W.Va, Ohio.

The maid at the Westin we stayed at was Muslim-wearing a hijab. She was very nice. Northern Va where my sisters lives has a high volume of Muslims. Did not see a single burqa though some hijabs. While my wife shopped at LL bean saw many Muslim men and women and most of the women were not wearing hijabs.

Saw maybe 5 Muslims at VA beach.

Stopped at maybe 5-6 roadside rest. Did not see any gay men having sex in the bathrooms and no transgenders.(I'm against grown men going into women's bathrooms btw)

Did not see  single mosque though I figure they are there.

All this crap is blown so far out of proportion it's amazing.

You do know Flowers it's done on purpose?

Scaring the American people with boogeyman scares? Gays, Muslims, etc . It's done to take the Americans people's minds off the real issue-their jobs being outsourced and offshored, lowering of wages and benefits and general lowering of quality of life in America through globalism. The loss of the American dream. The lowering of the US to match the rising third world countries who are going into second world status. The huge inequality of wealth problem the US now has. Have or have not's

@flowers
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 12:58:03 am by mirraflake »