Author Topic: Ann Coulter: I Despise Carly Fiorina with the ‘Hot, Hot Hate of 1,000 Suns’  (Read 8864 times)

Offline famousdayandyear

I'm still waiting to hear about lying politicians and the one senator who stood on principle.

Nothing I can add here, re the mess led by McConnell.   Senator Cruz
up and I am searching my memory for another senator who had his back.
Jodi Ernst?  Nope.  Lindsay Graham?  Nope.  John McCain?  Nope.
Mike Lee?  (Not openly, as I recall).  Correct me, if necessary

Re:  Carly Fiorina

Only thing I can say is that she is a fast talker, always formulating sentences groomed to the situation at hand.  How do I know?
Because I have worked in IT environments with people heading the
helm that are JUST LIKE HER.

Back on topic, I hope

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
This where we diverge.  For me, standards do not change from one century to another.  There are basic truths that are immutable.
Look up the Vikings in 792 when they landed on the Northeast coast of England, came ashore, sacked a monastery, probably killing priests, women and children.

Those btw would have been western branch Vikings from Norway or Denmark. The eastern  branch Swedes sailed down the Volga River and became palace guards for the Turks and various eastern European and Islamic peoples.

They were probably not used for their gentle manner.

Eventually the Germans and English in Britain successfully waged war with the Vikings, by being even more brutal.

When William Wallace was defeated they tortured him. 

The west was not immune to war atrocities. The fact islam still lives that way is bad, for sure. But my ancestors at times did similar things.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Godzilla

From your writing:
Islam, back in the 600-800s, was probably the most enlightened civilization in the 'west'.

This statement is demonstrably misleading:  A truly enlightened civilization would not seek to defeat such an advanced civilized part of the world as defined by Western Europe.  This is my opinion and I would struggle to defend Islam taking in all the facts of their history.  The sustained brutality of Islam--as witnessed even today--is indefensible.  But, if that is your view, have at it.

If warfare is a measure of a civilization's brutal and savage ways... what does that say about America since 2001?  I'd argue that we are still civilized, despite the warfare.

And I'd hold any civilization to that standard as well.  That warfare in and of itself does not determine if a civilization is savage.

Offline famousdayandyear

Look up the Vikings in 792 when they landed on the Northeast coast of England, came ashore, sacked a monastery, probably killing priests, women and children.

Those btw would have been western branch Vikings from Norway or Denmark. The eastern  branch Swedes sailed down the Volga River and became palace guards for the Turks and various eastern European and Islamic peoples.

They were probably not used for their gentle manner.

Eventually the Germans and English in Britain successfully waged war with the Vikings, by being even more brutal.

When William Wallace was defeated they tortured him. 

The west was not immune to war atrocities. The fact islam still lives that way is bad, for sure. But my ancestors at times did similar things.

Thank you for your well thought out response.  I am convinced that you are
correct.  I always appreciate moral support.

Back to Carly,  as I stated before, she is a "fast talker"-- good on her feet and trained to adjust to changing circumstances.  From my experience, people like this will turn on you in a minute.  Therefore, I do not trust her.

Thanks again for your comments.

Offline famousdayandyear

If warfare is a measure of a civilization's brutal and savage ways... what does that say about America since 2001?  I'd argue that we are still civilized, despite the warfare.

And I'd hold any civilization to that standard as well.  That warfare in and of itself does not determine if a civilization is savage.

OK.  Let's get real.
1)  I do not care for Carly Fiorina.  She will sell you and me out in a minute.
2)  If some jihadist tries to cut my throat, I will Kill the SOB right off.

If you disagree, do it with someone else.  We'll both be happier.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 12:38:20 am by famousdayandyear »

Godzilla

OK.  Let's get real.

#1 - Perfectly good reason to not support her.
#2 - I agree.  (and I think you are still civilized)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Thank you for your well thought out response.  I am convinced that you are
correct.  I always appreciate moral support.

Back to Carly,  as I stated before, she is a "fast talker"-- good on her feet and trained to adjust to changing circumstances.  From my experience, people like this will turn on you in a minute.  Therefore, I do not trust her.

Thanks again for your comments.

I would rather try to judge her on her MANY current answers to the "Gotcha Media", since she declared.  She's batting 1.000!

The character trait you describe could be the result of her executing her strategy to compete and separate herself from the field.

What company wouldn't want an intelligent woman who thinks on her feet? 

Now, I understand that your personal experiences with conniving women in your field would make you judge her.  Just trying to give a different perspective.

She's saying all the right things.  All day, everyday.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline olde north church

OK.  Let's get real.

Fiorina is Italian for "What do you mean by 'us', Paleface?".
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline EdinVA

Fiorina is Italian for "What do you mean by 'us', Paleface?".

Italian Paleface?
I think you need a new dictionary... :)

Offline famousdayandyear

I would rather try to judge her on her MANY current answers to the "Gotcha Media", since she declared.  She's batting 1.000!

The character trait you describe could be the result of her executing her strategy to compete and separate herself from the field.

What company wouldn't want an intelligent woman who thinks on her feet? 

Now, I understand that your personal experiences with conniving women in your field would make you judge her.  Just trying to give a different perspective.

She's saying all the right things.  All day, everyday.

You are correct on all counts.
She is saying the right things.
She has anticipated and scripted "gotcha" questions.  (Her forte)

I suggest all of us research her record, to better understand her motives.
Her record does not hint of love of country.

And you are right.  I am influenced by traitorous females I have worked with in the real world.  And she fits the profile to a T.
So call it "feminine" intuition, or what you will.  (I am a girly girl)
Using that defense, we girls often see what others may be blind to.

So, back her if she is your choice.  Just remember my comments.  Thanks.

Online DCPatriot

You are correct on all counts.
She is saying the right things.
She has anticipated and scripted "gotcha" questions.  (Her forte)

I suggest all of us research her record, to better understand her motives.
Her record does not hint of love of country.

And you are right.  I am influenced by traitorous females I have worked with in the real world.  And she fits the profile to a T.
So call it "feminine" intuition, or what you will.  (I am a girly girl)
Using that defense, we girls often see what others may be blind to.

So, back her if she is your choice.  Just remember my comments.  Thanks.

Oh, I'm not backing her.  Just keeping my eyes open for a possible VP or cabinet position.

Now, IMO, she'd be a great Secretary of State.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline aligncare

We need Carly and more like her in the GOP.

Online DCPatriot

We need Carly and more like her in the GOP.
:beer:

Offline ArneFufkin

Coulter is entertaining but I've always recognized her "niche schtick" - and I know she's far more comfortable sipping Chablis and picking at Brie with the liberal elite of our media and intellectual masters in Georgetown or the Upper East Side than mixing with the real folks at a pig roast and bingo contest in Iowa Falls.   

She's a phony.

Offline famousdayandyear

http://fortune.com/2010/10/15/carly-fiorinas-troubling-telecom-past/t

(Worthwhile to read a little bit about C Fiorina's style in business.  I was working at the time for a leading telecom player--turns out funny business
at the top layers of telecom led to the dot.com bust in 2000-2001.  Just for your information.)

Senate candidate Carly Fiorina was a star at Lucent. What does her time at the telecom disaster say about her?

In the spring of 1999, Lucent Technology’s star executive Carly Fiorina pulled off yet another coup—or so it appeared. A tiny start-up called PathNet agreed to buy huge amounts of fiber-optic gear from Lucent, a deal worth at least $440 million and potentially as much as $2.1 billion. The agreement Fiorina negotiated “potentially represents the single largest fiber supply agreement to a network operator in the U.S,” according to a triumphant press release.

While it was unclear how a tiny company like PathNet, with barely 100 employees and all of $1.6 million in annual revenue, could swing such as massive purchase, Wall Street didn’t seem to care about such details. The day following the announcement Lucent’s stock jumped 3%.

As she tells it on the campaign trail, Fiorina’s life story is an inspiring tale full of such achievements. From an unlikely start as a secretary she raced up the corporate ladder to record heights, becoming the first female to run a Fortune 20 company, Hewlett Packard HPQ -2.29% . Now, after battling cancer, she’s running to oust Barbara Boxer (D., Calif) from the U.S. Senate.

Yet Fiorina’s campaign biography quickly skates over the stint that made her a star: her three-year run as a top executive at Lucent Technologies. That seems puzzling, since unlike her decidedly mixed record at HP, Fiorina’s tenure at Lucent has all the outward trappings of success.

Lucent reported a stream of great results beginning in 1996, after Fiorina, who had been a vice-president at AT&T T 0.03% , helped oversee the company’s spin-off from Ma Bell. By the time she left to run HP in 1999 revenues were up 58%, to $38 billion. Net income went from a small loss to $4.8 billion profit. Giddy investors bid up Lucent’s stock 10-fold. And unlike HP, where Fiorina instituted large layoffs—a fact Senator Boxer loves to mention whenever possible—Lucent added 22,000 jobs during Fiorina’s tenure.

Dig under the surface, however, and the story grows more complicated and less flattering. The Lucent that Fiorina walked away from, taking with her $65 million in performance-linked pay, was not at all what it appeared. Nor were several of her division’s biggest sales, including the giant PathNet deal.

The Lucent-Fiorina story starts in 1995, when AT&T began to consider selling one of its crown jewels, its equipment-making division. The group had $21 billion in annual revenue and housed the famed Bell Labs, birthplace of the transistor and corporate America’s preeminent research outfit.

Spinning off the equipment group into a separate company had instant appeal. As a separate company, Lucent could sell gear to AT&T’s competitors on an even footing with Nortel, Cisco CSCO -1.38% and others. The timing was also perfect. In the late 1990s companies like Worldcom, Qwest Q -0.45% and Global Crossing were laying fiber optic cables around the country and the world. Start-ups like Winstar were spending billions on new-fangled wireless networks. Dozens of small companies including PathNet came up with designs for other types of telecom networks.

In 1997 Fiorina took over the group selling gear to such “service provider networks.” The company reported that sales to such networks climbed from $15.7 billion in fiscal 1997 to $19.1 billion in 1998. In 1999 they hit an amazing $23.6 billion. In the midst of this rise Fortune named Fiorina — then largely anonymous outside of telecom — to the top of its first list of the country’s most powerful women in business. A star was born.

As Wall Street became fixated on equipment companies’ growth, the whole industry entered a manic phase. With capital easy to come by, Qwest, Worldcom and their peers laid more fiber and installed far more capacity than customers needed. Much like the housing bubble that was just beginning to inflate, easy credit fed the telecom bubble.

Lucent and its major competitors all started goosing sales by lending money to their customers. In a neat bit of accounting magic, money from the loans began to appear on Lucent’s income statement as new revenue while the dicey debt got stashed on its balance sheet as an allegedly solid asset. It was nothing of the sort. Lucent said in its SEC filings that it had little choice to play the so-called vendor financing game, because all its competitors were too.

In the giant PathNet deal that Fiorina oversaw, Lucent agreed to fund more than 100% of the company’s equipment purchases, meaning the small company would get both Lucent gear at no money down and extra cash to boot. Yet how could such a loan to PathNet make sense for Lucent, even based on the world as it appeared in the heady days of 1999? The smaller company had barely $100 million in equity (and that’s based on generous accounting assumptions) on top of which it had already balanced $350 million in junk bonds paying 12.25% interest. Adding $440 million in loans from Lucent to this already debt-heavy capital structure would jack the company’s leverage up to 8 to 1, and potentially even higher as they drew more of the loan.

Fiorina says in her autobiography that she pushed back against the pressure for short-term growth at any cost, and two former Lucent collegues with whom she remains friendly back her up. On the other hand, this 2001 Fortune story, which described Lucent’s irresponsible growth habits, cites sources saying Fiorina made it known that Wall Street would generously reward companies that emphasized and delivered robust revenue growth. And an executive who sat across the table from Fiorina in a big vendor financing negotiation, when asked this week about what he remembers of the bargaining, described Fiorina as being dead set on chalking up a huge sale. He adds: “The press release was always very important to her.”

Whatever the exact extent of Fiorina’s role, Lucent was soon sucked in deep, making big loans to sketchy customers. In an SEC document filed just after Fiorina’s departure, the company revealed that it had $7 billion in loan commitments to customers — many of them financially unstable start-ups building all manner of new networks — of which Lucent had dispensed $1.6 billion.

Such vendor financing deals would have much the same impact on the telecom industry that sub-prime mortgages eventually had on the housing industry. In both cases public companies extended loans to customers who were gambling that the good times would keep rolling (and who were especially glad to make those bets with the lenders’ money). In both cases the loans helped puff up lenders’ short-term financial results and stock prices. In both cases the market inevitably turned and the pile of debt collapsed. (PathNet, after taking on another slug of vendor debt from Nortel, filed for bankruptcy protection in 2001 as the industry collapsed.)

Fiorina’s campaign calls comparisons of the vendor financing deals she worked on to subprime lending “disingenuous” and “almost libelous.” Adds spokeswoman Andrea Saul: “Over the past decades, Carly established herself as a successful business leader who knows how to create jobs and growth with Barbara Boxer herself praising Carly for her success in the business world and at Lucent specifically.”

Regardless, once Fiorina left for HP in July, 1999, Lucent’s dicey debt and other worries became someone else’s problem. Fortunately for her, based on Lucent’s sky-high stock price, Fiorina’s stock and options were still worth a mint. (A total of $85 million, she says.) HP gave her $65 million worth of restricted stock to compensate her for the Lucent stock and options she was leaving behind.

Fiorina likes to point out that she left $20 million on the table. Of course, that’s using her numbers and assuming she would have cashed out her Lucent stock and options at once. If she had held onto the stock and options instead of selling them, that $85 million would have evaporated.

That’s what happened to most Lucent investors. Soon after Fiorina left, the company began to collapse. Eventually its shares crashed to less than $1 and in 2006 the company merged with Alcatel ALU -1.42% .

Much of the decline in Lucent’s stock price was inevitable—a mania for all telecom investments in the late 1990s raised shares in every big telecom equipment maker to irrational heights. Yet it’s hard to shake the feeling that the company’s wild pursuit of growth gave it much further to fall.

(The telecom bust was led by Lucent's incompetency--loaning mucho $$$$
to startups who would then purchase Lucent equipment in pursuit of advancing the bottom line.  Just to keep the record straight.)

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Coulter is entertaining but I've always recognized her "niche schtick" - and I know she's far more comfortable sipping Chablis and picking at Brie with the liberal elite of our media and intellectual masters in Georgetown or the Upper East Side than mixing with the real folks at a pig roast and bingo contest in Iowa Falls.   

She's a phony.

You don't post here nearly enough.

So many people don't understand that the problem profiteering gig is not limited to the Al Sharptons and Jesse Jacksons of the world.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 02:59:26 am by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline ArneFufkin

You don't post here nearly enough.

So many people don't understand that the problem profiteering gig is not limited to the Al Sharptons and Jesse Jacksons of the world.

Hi Luis!   Yeah, I just can "see" sometimes that Coulter is at parties getting admiration from lefty media mooks for her "act" in the same way that the same media folks admired the Clinton mob for how deftly and successfully they lied to them and obstructed justice.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 03:37:04 am by ArneFufkin »

Offline Paladin

"So call it "feminine" intuition, or what you will.  (I am a girly girl)
Using that defense, we girls often see what others may be blind to."

Completely agree with you, FDaY, and the "others" are usually men. We can be completely at sea when it comes to dealing with and understanding the fairer sex (who can be as hard as nails when they want to be).

"Chantilly lace and a pretty face and a pony tail hangin' down
A wiggle and a walk and a giggle and a talk made the world go round
There ain't nothing in the world
Like a big eyed girl to make me act so funny make me spend my money
Make me fool real loose like a long necked goose.
Like a girl oh baby that's what I like."
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline famousdayandyear

Paladin:

Not clear what your point is, but in my defense:  I am NOT a feminist.
I worked in high powered business environments with just a high school education. Much time spent in off-hours research and development for leading edge technology.  Therefore, it is my experience (take it or leave it) that certain business leaders (male or female) SEEM to succeed based on their ability to talk BS--females, I've noticed, as particularly good at this skill, and develop it as "business prowess".  Carly F may be a great leader,
I don't know.  But based on what I've seen, and read about her questionable leadership acumen both at Lucent and HP, I have doubts.

So, as a strong female who can sense weakness in another strong female,
I offer my opinion.

By reducing my experience to a "Chantilly Lace" lyric clearly demonstrates the crappiness of the various hurdles I have overcome as I enjoy my own success in the world of high tech business.  It is my error that my previous post did not convey this properly.  I take responsibility for that.

Thanks for your endearing reminder of my past.  Stay well, my friend.

Offline Paladin

"Paladin, Not clear what your point is..."

Oh, noes! FDaY, I was actually agreeing with you but focusing your observation, "we girls often see what others may be blind to..." on how men can be blinder than anyone because we focus largely on the superficial and the immediate (Chantilly Lace and all that goes with it). My apologies if I offended you. Truly my intent was exactly the opposite.

Women are capable of discerning another woman's motives and capabilities, men not so much. As to your achievements and accomplishments you ought be proud, and rightly so.

Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline famousdayandyear

Paladin:

Oh noes!  I completely misread your post.
Maybe I'm not all that great at discernment, after all.
Please forgive my aggressive! response.

(PS:  I'm old enough to remember when Chantilly Lace came out, and I HATED IT!  Heh)

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
(PS:  I'm old enough to remember when Chantilly Lace came out, and I HATED IT!  Heh)

The song or the fabric?

:tongue2:
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 05:22:27 am by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Paladin

"I'm old enough to remember when Chantilly Lace came out, and I HATED IT"

As am I, though I didn't hate it. Always thought it was an amusing novelty number which contained a lot of truth about how men react to women.

And, of course, you are forgiven. I am just glad I could straighten this out.

Offline famousdayandyear

The song or the fabric?

:tongue2:

Well, that particular lace was popular in the EARLY 18th century.  As much as I would have liked to have been around then, well, I wasn't.   I was ice skating on a frozen New England pond (transplant from NC so I had no idea what I was doing) when the song came out.  And I despised it.  Back then my song was Earth Angel and/or Work With Me Annie (known only in the South)

Did I answer your question.  :thud:

Offline famousdayandyear

"I'm old enough to remember when Chantilly Lace came out, and I HATED IT"

As am I, though I didn't hate it. Always thought it was an amusing novelty number which contained a lot of truth about how men react to women.

And, of course, you are forgiven. I am just glad I could straighten this out.

Me, too. 
Guess sometimes I take myself too seriously.  And that never bodes well.
Thanks for being friendly.  Makes my day!  If you lived near by, I'd buy you a [beer][scotch][Tennessee bourbon][CocaCola][NC shine], you name it.
Cheers.