Author Topic: Jeb Bush: I Would Govern Like Lyndon Johnson as President  (Read 11438 times)

Offline EdinVA

Re: Jeb Bush: I Would Govern Like Lyndon Johnson as President
« Reply #100 on: July 24, 2015, 12:02:59 am »
Come on...was THAT necessary?

Or are you upset because you thought you were 16 and not 6?    :laugh:

Agree DC.. totally uncalled for

bkepley

« Reply #101 on: July 24, 2015, 12:18:27 am »
Agree DC.. totally uncalled for
Oh BS.  Roosevelt has been a villain to the right for many years.  I can't believe you folks deny it.  Should I start posting links?  Even this year there was a big blowup among conservatives about FDR.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #102 on: July 24, 2015, 12:28:21 am »
Oh BS.  Roosevelt has been a villain to the right for many years.  I can't believe you folks deny it.  Should I start posting links?  Even this year there was a big blowup among conservatives about FDR.

The 'issue' is you calling truth_seeker a liar. 

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

bkepley

« Reply #103 on: July 24, 2015, 12:33:27 am »
The 'issue' is you calling truth_seeker a liar.

OK she's wrong ..that's all but I was only defending myself.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #104 on: July 24, 2015, 12:38:20 am »

Calling somebody a liar is not playing defense, buddy.  Just my opinion.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #105 on: July 24, 2015, 12:39:53 am »
And you don't recall that FDR was the most hated of the all by the right wing of the GOP?  I'm sorry but either you are a liar or you need an alzenheimers test.

Hey! C'mon!  You can disagree with t_s. You can show him where he is wrong. But t_s ain't a liar. He is a respected member around here.

Guess you slipped into the TOS mode.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

bkepley

« Reply #106 on: July 24, 2015, 12:42:00 am »
Calling somebody a liar is not playing defense, buddy.  Just my opinion.

I just said she was wrong..that's all.  Get a life.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #107 on: July 24, 2015, 12:43:27 am »
I just said she was wrong..that's all.  Get a life.

**nononono*   

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #108 on: July 24, 2015, 12:44:00 am »
bk... I'm just saying... "Liar" is out of bounds to someone who posted with good intentions. And I will tell you, t_s is no liar on his worst day.
John Steinbeck

bkepley

« Reply #109 on: July 24, 2015, 12:48:38 am »
bk... I'm just saying... "Liar" is out of bounds to someone who posted with good intentions. And I will tell you, t_s is no liar on his worst day.

OK but I cannot believe it is truthfull to claim that the right-wing never had a problem with FDR and we still do.

bkepley

« Reply #110 on: July 24, 2015, 12:53:02 am »

You know what?  I'm tired of the chit.  I'm not here for a social club. 

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #111 on: July 24, 2015, 12:56:21 am »
OK but I cannot believe it is truthfull to claim that the right-wing never had a problem with FDR and we still do.

BK you gotta accept that the world is not black and white, there is a ton of grey.
No one is 100% correct 100% of the time, you and FDR included.

FDR was at least 80% right with regards to how he handled WWII.
He was at least 50% right with how he handled the domestic issues.

Do republicans REALLY have a problem with FDR's domestic agenda because it was bad or because people learned how to abuse it and the congress would not fix it?

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #112 on: July 24, 2015, 01:07:09 am »
BK you gotta accept that the world is not black and white, there is a ton of grey.

Do republicans REALLY have a problem with FDR's domestic agenda because it was bad or because people learned how to abuse it and the congress would not fix it?

Most people have no real understanding of history. The fact of the matter is that FDR himself said that most of the things he did as a part of his domestic agenda should be temporary only. After he died the Marxists conveniently forgot that part!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline olde north church

« Reply #113 on: July 24, 2015, 01:11:08 am »

You provide dexter reacharounds?
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #114 on: July 24, 2015, 01:15:55 am »

Then simply move along.....    :whistle:  if you can't grasp the concept of how to treat other posters with whom you disagree.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #115 on: July 24, 2015, 01:19:27 am »

Fine. But to lie is to intentionally and knowingly mislead. Being wrong or uninformed is another matter entirely.  You are asserting the former.
John Steinbeck

bkepley

« Reply #116 on: July 24, 2015, 01:26:37 am »
Then simply move along.....    :whistle:  if you can't grasp the concept of how to treat other posters with whom you disagree.

Give me a break DC...I'm pretty sure you are not a saint.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #117 on: July 24, 2015, 01:28:35 am »

I think you need to cool down.

I've had significant disagreements with t_s, but he is most certainly not a liar, and I'm with those who have said you're out of line in making that accusation.

A simple apology would be nice.....    :patriot:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #118 on: July 24, 2015, 01:31:34 am »

We're not discussing my behavior here.  We're telling you that yours is not the way we conduct ourselves HERE.

Just responding to your printed words.  I'm not a Jedi mind-reader.  You called t_s a "liar"...seemingly coming out of left field.

I'm just a member like you.  Nobody's pulling rank on you here.

It's YOU that needs to lighten up, imho.   :beer:
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 01:32:31 am by DCPatriot »

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #119 on: July 24, 2015, 01:35:15 am »
I think you need to cool down.

I've had significant disagreements with t_s, but he is most certainly not a liar, and I'm with those who have said you're out of line in making that accusation.

A simple apology would be nice.....    :patriot:

And it's telling that it seems necessary to have to suggest it...in this case.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #120 on: July 24, 2015, 02:35:16 am »

Except apparently, when it comes to Catholic politicians and their religion.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #121 on: July 24, 2015, 02:35:51 am »

You rang?

:smokin:
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #122 on: July 24, 2015, 02:35:59 am »
My father and my father-in-law were WWII combat purple heart vets. Republicans later, but they didn't slam their CINC.

My mother's family traces their Republican roots to the abolition days, and they were strongly Republicans during WWII, but nonetheless they respected FDR.

Oh, and I was 16 years old when Goldwater ran, my family supported him. My mother went to the same high school and college as Richard Nixon. I had to wait until age 24 to vote since voting at 18 had not yet passed. I was for Nixon in 1968.

Governor Reagan was a favorite here in California, which didn't take 2nd place to anywhere, as far as "conservatism" in the 60s, 70s, 80s.
Those of us on the political right knew the philosophy well. We witnessed Reagan "sell" his political ideas. We were thrilled when he won, thrilled when his stuff mostly worked well.

You were 6 years old when Goldwater ran, by the way.

I know at least one Republican who greatly admired FDR.  His first vote was for FDR.

http://www.firstprinciplesjournal.com/articles.aspx?article=1082

Ronald Reagan on Franklin Roosevelt: The Significance of Style

Reagan was a New Deal Democrat. He joked that he had probably become a Democrat by birth, given that his father, Jack, was so devoted to the Democratic Party.  The younger Reagan cast his first presidential vote in 1932 for Franklin Roosevelt, and did so again in the succeeding three presidential contests. His faith in FDR remained undimmed even after World War II, when he called himself “a New Dealer to the core.” He summarized his views in this way: “I thought government could solve all our postwar problems just as it had ended the Depression and won the war. I didn’t trust big business. I thought government, not private companies, should own our big public utilities; if there wasn’t enough housing to shelter the American people, I thought government should build it; if we needed better medical care, the answer was socialized medicine.” When his brother, Moon, became a Republican and argued with his sibling, the younger Reagan concluded “he was just spouting Republican propaganda.”

Of course, Reagan was to change his views drastically in the coming years, but even when one examines his later comments about Franklin Roosevelt and the New Deal, one comes away with the sense that he never got over his youthful admiration of a man he considered a great leader. He would carefully parse his criticisms of the New Deal, often focusing on the honorable intent of the heart over the practical effect of the policies. Critique and praise would be mixed together as he attempted to separate the man from his programs.

The Leadership Factor

Roosevelt, according to Reagan, was a strong leader, one to emulate in certain respects. He had taken over the presidency during a time of unprecedented crisis and implemented a plan of action to bring the nation out of its doldrums. Reagan fondly recalled FDR’s Fireside Chats, which were designed to give hope to the people. “His strong, gentle, confident voice resonated across the nation with an eloquence that brought comfort and resilience to a nation caught up in a storm and reassured us that we could lick any problem. I will never forget him for that.” As governor of California later, Reagan had to deal with a Democratic legislature. “It occurred to me that I had an opportunity to go over their heads.” How? He used radio and television to communicate directly with the people of California, a tactic he traced back to FDR’s Fireside Chats, which, he commented, “made an indelible mark on me during the Depression.”

As president, Reagan often mentioned his admiration for FDR’s spirit of leadership. On a trip back to his alma mater, Eureka College, in 1984, he reminded his listeners what it was like to experience the Great Depression, and how the Fireside Chats had been so reassuring. “All of us who lived through those years,” he instructed them, “remember the drabness the depression brought. But we remember, too, how people pulled together, that sense of community and shared values, that belief in American enterprise and democracy that saw us through. It was that engrained American optimism, that sense of hope Franklin Roosevelt so brilliantly summoned and mobilized.” In his view, FDR was instrumental in reviving an inherent American optimism that was endangered by the economic crisis.

Twice he spoke at events honoring Roosevelt. The first was in 1982
. He had visited the FDR exhibit at the Smithsonian Institution, then returned to the White House for a luncheon that included the Roosevelt family. Naturally, when speaking in front of someone’s family, one avoids comments critical of a loved one. The speech was instead a tribute to FDR’s leadership. Reagan called him “one of history’s truly monumental figures,” “an American giant, a leader who shaped, inspired, and led our people through perilous times,” one who could “reach out to men and women of diverse races and backgrounds and inspire them with new hope and new confidence in war and peace.”

There are 5 more pages at the link, but you get the picture.  Reagan said he didn't leave the rat party, the rat party left him.  It seems likely some Reagan voters agreed with his views of FDR, but I am too young to tell you how most Republican's viewed FDR at the time.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #123 on: July 24, 2015, 02:40:22 am »
Except apparently, when it comes to Catholic politicians and their religion.
:laugh:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #124 on: July 24, 2015, 03:16:48 am »
And you don't recall that FDR was the most hated of the all by the right wing of the GOP?  I'm sorry but either you are a liar or you need an alzenheimers test.
I made no mention of the right wing of the GOP. I am not a liar, don't have Alzheimer's that I know of.

You should reread exactly what I wrote. You appear to have a reading comprehension challenge, which Reagan might have generously attributed to your youth and inexperience, but that isn't an excuse for bad manners.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln