Author Topic: Jeb Bush: I Would Govern Like Lyndon Johnson as President  (Read 11436 times)

Offline EdinVA

Re: Jeb Bush: I Would Govern Like Lyndon Johnson as President
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2015, 02:02:02 pm »
...Catholic institution and this is what my church teaches me...

Lost my vote.... don't care what the pope wants.  He is not an elected representative therefore has no say.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2015, 02:02:18 pm »
I'm curious as to why Jeb Bush didn't use Reagan as an example of emulating someone who worked with Congress to get things done.  It seems a bit tone deaf to me, to be running in the Republican party for president and to cite LBJ as who he would lead like.  Does he realize how hated LBJ is among Republican voters?  I don't understand why he would think that his potential voters would see that as a point in his favor.  I mean, is he trying to piss people off with such a connotation? 

Not too savvy in my book.   

Had you read the actual article and not just Breaitbart's BS, you would have understood why.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

bkepley

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2015, 02:04:34 pm »
Lost my vote.... don't care what the pope wants.  He is not an elected representative therefore has no say.

And he thought he had you in the bag.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2015, 02:05:23 pm »

Really?

"That therefore the proscribing any citizen as unworthy the public confidence, by laying upon him an incapacity of being called to offices of trust and emolument, unless he profess or renounce this or that religious opinion, is depriving him injuriously of those privileges and advantages, to which, in common with his fellow citizens, he has a natural right." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Stature for Religious Freedom

So, you're one of those Catholic bashers from FR?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2015, 02:06:11 pm »
And he thought he had you in the bag.

:silly:

Offline aligncare

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2015, 02:16:23 pm »
I've expressed interest in a number of GOP candidates. Jeb Bush just doesn't happen to be one of them.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2015, 02:29:39 pm »
More and more, headlines are becoming click-bait for the internet.  Old school  journalism practices no longer apply.  Add agenda driven journalists and it is a mess.  But wait!   Add snapshot readers whose critical thinking is non-existent we find ourselves - here.  Most people glean their info from meme photos on Facebook. 

Jeb could have qualified his remarks better.  He could have refrained from saying what he did.  But who can really avoid this built-in trap over a campaign?  Especially if you reside on the right side of the political spectrum? 

I am very disappointed in Breitbart.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2015, 02:30:36 pm »
Had you read the actual article and not just Breaitbart's BS, you would have understood why.

I've read your explanation and the article you posted about why he said that, but it doesn't change my opinion that it was a tone-deaf thing to say by a person contemplating (at that time) a run for president.  Jeb Bush should certainly understand the whole sound bite process by now.  And yes, I remember him saying that he was not going to be concerned if people didn't like hearing what he had to say.

This is the way Jeb has decided to run - to be his own man and say what he thinks - regardless of how it comes across to the voters.  It just sounds really bad to most Republicans that LBJ is who he chooses to emulate in governing style.  LBJ was an SOB, and I don't think you'll get many Republicans to disagree with that.  It's great that you support Jeb and he owes you a lot of gratitude for it, but I don't think he comes across very well with many in his party.  I understand the big money donors like him, but that doesn't impress me much.  He is in the bottom tier of candidates that I would like to see as our nominee.  I used to be quite the cheerleader for the Bush family, but not anymore  - they don't come across as fighters, but instead, big reachers (across the aisle).  I think it was GWB's refusal to fight back against the constant false accusations the Democrats threw at him daily that set the stage for an Obama victory.

I can't remember a single instance of Democrats reaching across the aisle since at least the year 2000.  I remember many instances of John McCain slinking his way across the aisle (with Lady Graham on his tail) - but I don't remember any of his efforts resulting in anything good for our country.  I hate hearing that is how Jeb intends to do it too. 

The Democrats of today are nothing like the Democrats of yesteryear.  I wouldn't reach across the aisle to cajole Adolf Hitler, ISIS or Satan either. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2015, 02:31:18 pm »
So you didn't take the time to watch the video and listen to anything that was said, but you took the tome to post some worthless personal ranking.

You're the poster baby for low information voter.

Just for drill Luis why don't you tell me why your opinions have SO much more value than mine!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2015, 02:38:59 pm »
A large dog food company once set out to make the best brand of dog food. They got the best dog behaviorists, food technologists, and even famous chefs involved in the process.

They employed the best marketing firm to design the label. They focus grouped the advertising campaign, test marketed the food in select cities. Spent millions on research and development.

When they launched the brand they found that sales were flat. It seems no one was buying the food. They eventually had to pull the line off the market.

In the postmortem report the marketing group found that the dogs just didn't like the food.

That's a snapshot of the establishment's attempt to push Jeb Bush on GOP voters.

The Trump anomaly aside, Jeb has led all polls on GOP nominations from long before he announced his candidacy.

GOP voters are not the problem here. The problem is a sub segment of the GOP saying that they don't like the dog food without actually having tasted it.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 02:40:32 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline aligncare

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2015, 02:40:49 pm »
A large dog food company once set out to make the best brand of dog food. They got the best dog behaviorists, food technologists, and even famous chefs involved in the process.

They employed the best marketing firm to design the label. They focus grouped the advertising campaign, test marketed the food in select cities. Spent millions on research and development.

When they launched the brand they found that sales were flat. It seems no one was buying the food. They eventually had to pull the line off the market.

In the postmortem report the marketing group found that dogs just didn't like the food.

That's a snapshot of the establishment's attempt to push Jeb Bush on GOP voters.

bkepley

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2015, 02:42:22 pm »

I don't buy all this "establishment is doing it" stuff.  The voters have Walker over Bush right now I believe.  How many votes does "the establishment" have?  I believe "the establishment" was against Reagan and Reagan won.  I believe "the establishment" was against Goldwater and Goldwater won.  Crying conspiracy about everything just doesn't impress me much. 8888crybaby

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2015, 02:43:13 pm »
Just for drill Luis why don't you tell me why your opinions have SO much more value than mine!

Because I actually read articles and check the sources and I listen to what's being said.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2015, 02:48:37 pm »
Because I actually read articles and check the sources and I listen to what's being said.

And you imagine that I don't? Jeb Bush is just another snake oil salesman and the fact that his last name is Bush puts him out of the running right off the bat because MOST Americans are not into dynastys in this country.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

bkepley

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2015, 02:52:35 pm »
And you imagine that I don't? Jeb Bush is just another snake oil salesman and the fact that his last name is Bush puts him out of the running right off the bat because MOST Americans are not into dynastys in this country.

Well then they got a real potential problem here...

Offline Longiron

« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2015, 02:56:56 pm »
Admitting he wants to be one of the worst, destructive, and racist presidents in our history?

Don't AGREE much with your posts BUT you are DEAD right on this POINT :beer:

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2015, 03:24:48 pm »

I'm pretty sure that you don't, or that you only read headlines and memes.

I lived in Florida during the Bush governorship, and I worked with the Florida GOP.

I KNOW for a fact that Jeb is no "snake oil salesman" despite your ignorant characterization. He governed as a strong conservative candidate.

The fact that you reject him based on his last name makes you as ignorant as those who voted for Obama based on his race, or support Hillary based on her gender.

The fact that you appoint yourself as the spokesman for "most Americans" is indicative of how much you've lost touch with reality.

The people leading the polls (the Trump anomaly notwithstanding) are BOTH part of American political dynasties.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2015, 03:25:27 pm »

In the postmortem report the marketing group found that dogs just didn't like the food.

Conspiracy theories aligncare?

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2015, 03:34:40 pm »
Really?

So, you're one of those Catholic bashers from FR?

No religion basher, save one.  As I said in my post, The pope is not an elected representative therefore has no say.
He can run his church all he wants but stay outta the whitehouse.

A religious conscience is important when making decisions for the 350 million you represent but some do not follow the pope and do not want his input.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2015, 03:56:21 pm »
Why do so many people here engage in Bush apology?  Jebbie is a stinkeroo with a shitload of cash and a legions of minions deeper than the Marianas Trench.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 04:08:34 pm by olde north church »
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2015, 04:07:46 pm »
More and more, headlines are becoming click-bait for the internet.  Old school  journalism practices no longer apply.  Add agenda driven journalists and it is a mess.  But wait!   Add snapshot readers whose critical thinking is non-existent we find ourselves - here.  Most people glean their info from meme photos on Facebook. 

Jeb could have qualified his remarks better.  He could have refrained from saying what he did.  But who can really avoid this built-in trap over a campaign?  Especially if you reside on the right side of the political spectrum? 

I am very disappointed in Breitbart.

The people defending Trump's "liberal microphone" remarks about McCain jump all over Bush's equally liberal microphone remarks.

Telling.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2015, 04:13:40 pm »

Exactly. Snake oil salesman is being polite.  He was a lousy governor and he is just as unpopular in this area of Florida today as he was then and his common core and pro-amnesty policies are just as equally unpopular.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2015, 04:28:06 pm »
I'm pretty sure that you don't, or that you only read headlines and memes.

I lived in Florida during the Bush governorship, and I worked with the Florida GOP.

I KNOW for a fact that Jeb is no "snake oil salesman" despite your ignorant characterization. He governed as a strong conservative candidate.

The fact that you reject him based on his last name makes you as ignorant as those who voted for Obama based on his race, or support Hillary based on her gender.

The fact that you appoint yourself as the spokesman for "most Americans" is indicative of how much you've lost touch with reality.

The people leading the polls (the Trump anomaly notwithstanding) are BOTH part of American political dynasties.

I'm pretty sure that YOU don't know what the hell you are talking about in this case!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2015, 04:35:01 pm »
Exactly. Snake oil salesman is being polite.  He was a lousy governor and he is just as unpopular in this area of Florida today as he was then and his common core and pro-amnesty policies are just as equally unpopular.

What an incredibly uniformed and ignorant statement.

From CPAC 2016

Jeb Bush is the 43rd governor of the State of Florida, serving from 1999 through 2007. He was the third Republican elected to the state’s highest office and the first Republican in the state’s history to be reelected.

Governor Bush remained true to his conservative principles throughout his two terms in office – cutting nearly $20 billion in taxes, vetoing more than $2.3 billion in earmarks and reducing the state government workforce by more than 13,000. His limited government approach helped unleash one of the most robust and dynamic economies in the nation, creating 1.4 million net new jobs and improving the state’s credit ratings, including achieving the first ever triple-A bond rating for Florida.

During his two terms, Governor Bush championed major reform of government, in areas ranging from health care and environmental protection to civil service and tax reform. His top priority was the overhaul of the state’s failing education system. Under Governor Bush’s leadership, Florida established a bold accountability system in public schools and created the most ambitious school choice programs in the nation. Today, Florida remains a national leader in education and continues to enjoy rising student achievement.

After leaving office in 2007, Jeb returned to the private sector, where he reestablished his career as a successful businessman, entrepreneur, and investor.

He has also maintained his passion for improving the quality of education for students by founding and serving as the chairman of one of the nation’s leading conservative education reform organizations, the Foundation for Excellence in Education. The 501c3 non-profit works with state and education leaders, teachers, and parents to develop and implement reforms that lead to rising student achievement.

In 2013, Jeb authored Immigration Wars: Forging an American Solution, along with leading constitutional litigator Clint Bolick, outlining a conservative reform strategy to fix the nation’s broken immigration system.

From 1987 – 1988, Bush served as Florida’s secretary of commerce under Bob Martinez, Florida’s 40th governor. Following an unsuccessful bid for Governor in 1994, Jeb joined forces with the Greater Miami Urban League to establish one of the state’s first charter schools, Liberty City Charter School, in one of the most underserved parts of Miami-Dade County. In 1995, he also co-authored Profiles in Character, a book profiling 14 of Florida’s civic heroes and advocating a return to the principles of our Founding Fathers.

Bush earned a bachelor’s degree in Latin American studies from the University of Texas at Austin. Jeb is the son of President George H.W. Bush and Barbara Bush. He and his wife, Columba, live in Miami and have three grown children and three grandchildren.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2015, 04:48:49 pm »

In 2013, Jeb authored Immigration Wars: Forging an American Solution, along with leading constitutional litigator Clint Bolick, outlining a conservative reform strategy to fixthe nation’s broken immigration system.

The only reason the immigration system is broken is because industrialists and politicians want cheap labor and a criminal and diseased class to infiltrate the country.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.