Author Topic: Obituaries for 2015  (Read 71947 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Obituaries for 2015
« Reply #175 on: September 20, 2015, 12:47:31 am »
Jackie Collins dies from breast cancer aged 77

Novelist Jackie Collins died on Saturday of breast cancer at age 77.

Her family released a statement announcing her death.

"It is with tremendous sadness that we announce the death of our beautiful, dynamic and one of a kind mother, Jackie Collins, who died of breast cancer today," the statement said.

Collins died in Los Angeles, said her spokesman Melody Korenbrot.

Collins, the younger sister of actress Joan Collins, sold more than 500 million copies of her books.

She wrote a total of 32 novels, all of which have appeared on The New York Times bestsellers list.

Fans were quick to pay tribute to Collins on Twitter.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11877713/Jackie-Collins-dies-from-breast-cancer-aged-77.html
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #176 on: September 21, 2015, 05:42:33 pm »
Jack Larson, a Playwright Better Known as Jimmy Olsen in 'Superman,' Dies at 87

Jack Larson, the playwright and librettist who, as he often predicted with good-natured resignation, will be remembered best as the actor who played the cub reporter Jimmy Olsen on the television series "Adventures of Superman," died on Sunday at his home in the Brentwood neighborhood of Los Angeles. He was 87.
More

Wikipedia

IMDb

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #177 on: September 23, 2015, 04:31:13 pm »
Yogi Berra, Yankees Hall of Fame Catcher With a One-of-a-Kind Wit, Dies at 90

Yogi Berra, one of baseball's greatest catchers and characters, who as a player was a mainstay of 10 Yankee championship teams and as a manager led both the Yankees and Mets to the World Series -- but who may be more widely known as an ungainly but lovable cultural figure, inspiring a cartoon character and issuing a seemingly limitless supply of unwittingly witty epigrams known as Yogi-isms -- died on Tuesday. He was 90.
More

Wikipedia

Player stats

Manager stats

Thread
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 09:27:46 pm by Machiavelli »

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #178 on: September 30, 2015, 11:22:16 pm »
"Sea Cruise" singer Frankie Ford has died

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Frankie Ford, a rock 'n' roll and rhythm and blues singer whose 1959 hit "Sea Cruise" brought him international fame when he was 19, is dead at the age of 76.

Ford died Monday of natural causes, according to the Jefferson Parish, Louisiana, coroner's office.
More

Wikipedia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUSd_RYnxAY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUSd_RYnxAY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw4pnQNbBxE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw4pnQNbBxE

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #179 on: October 02, 2015, 04:51:43 pm »
John Guillermin, 'Towering Inferno' Director, Dies at 89

John Guillermin, a prolific British director best known for blockbusters like the 1974 disaster movie "The Towering Inferno" and the 1976 remake of "King Kong," died on Sunday at his home in Topanga, Calif. He was 89.

The cause was a heart attack, his wife, Mary Guillermin, said.

In addition to big-budget extravaganzas, Mr. Guillermin (the name is French, but he pronounced it GILL-er-min) directed a raft of films in various genres from the end of the 1940s until he retired from filmmaking in the 1980s.
More

IMDb

Wikipedia

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #180 on: October 07, 2015, 04:39:46 pm »
Billy Joe Royal, Country and Pop Singer, Dead at 73

Billy Joe Royal, who scored the 1965 Top Ten single "Down in the Boondocks" and also made frequent appearances on the country chart in the Eighties, died suddenly Tuesday morning at his Marietta, North Carolina home, according to the Tennessean. He was 73 years old.
More

Wikipedia

Offline aligncare

« Reply #181 on: October 07, 2015, 04:47:09 pm »

As I get up in years, I hate looking at this thread.  **nononono*

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #182 on: October 08, 2015, 07:15:44 pm »
Kevin Corcoran, known to generations of Disney fans as 'Moochie,' dies at 66

Disney child actor Kevin Corcoran, who played the irrepressible Moochie in the "Spin and Marty" serials on "The Mickey Mouse Club" and went on to play roles in films such as "Old Yeller," died Tuesday at Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center in Burbank. He was 66.

The cause was colorectal cancer, said his wife, Laura.

Moochie -- an adorable, talkative kid who was always getting into jams -- was not far removed from the real-life Corcoran, said David Stollery, who played Marty. Corcoran was 7 when he started appearing in the series that took place on a dude ranch.
More

Wikipedia

IMDb

Online mountaineer

« Reply #183 on: October 08, 2015, 07:45:00 pm »
I went to elementary school in southern California with some of the Corcoran kids (Kevin's younger siblings) who also were involved in showbiz at the time.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #184 on: October 08, 2015, 07:49:31 pm »
I went to elementary school in southern California with some of the Corcoran kids (Kevin's younger siblings) who also were involved in showbiz at the time.

There were a mess of them and they all kind of looked alike.

Sad to hear that Kevin died.  My exact age........
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #185 on: October 08, 2015, 08:20:10 pm »
Chef Paul Prudhomme dies at 75

Louisiana Chef Paul Prudhomme, credited with helping popularize Cajun and Creole cuisine, died Thursday, according to K-Paul's, the New Orleans restaurant he owned.

Prudhomme, who was 75, died in New Orleans after a brief illness, the restaurant said.
More

Wikipedia

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #186 on: October 11, 2015, 05:06:45 pm »
Jerry Parr, Secret Service Agent Who Helped Save Reagan, Dies at 85

Jerry S. Parr, the Secret Service agent credited with saving President Ronald Reagan's life during an assassination attempt in 1981, died Friday at a hospice near his home in Washington. He was 85.

The death was confirmed by Mr. Parr's wife, Carolyn, who said he died of congestive heart failure.

Mr. Parr was just feet away from Mr. Reagan when John W. Hinckley Jr. opened fire on the president outside the Washington Hilton hotel on March 30, 1981.
More

Wikipedia

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #187 on: October 12, 2015, 01:52:52 am »
Dean Chance, Angels' first Cy Young winner, dies at age 74

Dean Chance, the 1964 Cy Young winner and a recently inducted member of the Angels Hall of Fame, has died. He was 74 ...

In 1964, Chance was 20-9 with a 1.65 ERA, winning the Cy Young Award at a time when there was only one winner, rather than one for each league. At the time, the 23-year-old Chance was the youngest pitcher ever to win the Cy Young, a distinction he held until Dwight Gooden won the award at age 20 in 1985 ...
More

Wikipedia

Player stats

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #189 on: October 22, 2015, 02:37:52 am »
[float=right][/float]Cory Wells, singer with Three Dog Night, dies at 74

Wells, along with Danny Hutton and Chuck Negron, formed the 1970s vocal trio known for its powerful, blue-eyed soul covers of songs that would eventually become hits in their own right. He sang lead on several, including "Mama Told Me Not to Come." He remained with the band until his death.

Wells, a native of Western New York, died unexpectedly in Dunkirk, having lived a modest lifestyle even at the height of the band's fame.

Death notice from WIVB-TV/Buffalo

Wikipedia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKaQzQAlNn4
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #190 on: October 22, 2015, 03:31:18 am »
Billy Joe Royal, Country and Pop Singer, Dead at 73
More

Wikipedia

I believe he also had a big hit with "Cherry Hill Park".
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Paladin

« Reply #191 on: October 22, 2015, 06:05:16 am »
Marty Ingels, Actor and Shirley Jones' Husband, Dies at 79

"Ingels was known for his voiceover work, along with the 1960's sitcom 'I'm Dickens, He's Fenster.'

Marty Ingels, an actor and comedian known for his co-starring role in the 1960s sitcom I'm Dickens, He's Fenster, has died, wife Shirley Jones announced Wednesday. He was 79.

Ingels died Wednesday in Tarzana, Calif., as a result of complications from a stroke.

"He often drove me crazy, but there’s not a day I won’t miss him and love him to my core," Jones said in a statement."

Ingels did a lot more TV after "I'm Dickens, He's Fenster", mostly as a guest star. He was a funny guy because he was so quirky. Plus he landed Shirley which wasn't such a bad deal.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #192 on: October 24, 2015, 06:46:43 pm »
One of my very favorite actresses - always strong, always feisty....

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-34628502

Maureen O'Hara, Hollywood actress, dies aged 95

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline flowers

« Reply #193 on: October 24, 2015, 06:47:39 pm »

Classy lady. Wow she lived in  Boise, down state from me.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 06:49:45 pm by flowers »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #194 on: October 24, 2015, 06:48:08 pm »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maureen_O%27Hara

Maureen O'Hara (17 August 1920 – 24 October 2015) was an Irish-American film actress and singer. She was first educated at the John Street West Girls' School near Thomas Street in Dublin's Liberties Area. From the ages of 6 to 17 she trained in drama, music and dance, and at the age of 10 joined the Rathmines Theatre Company and worked in amateur theatre in the evenings, after her lessons.[3] The famously red-headed O'Hara was noted for playing fiercely passionate heroines with a highly sensible attitude. She often worked with director John Ford and longtime friend John Wayne. Her autobiography, 'Tis Herself, was published in 2004 and was a New York Times Bestseller. She was one of the last living actresses from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Although O'Hara was never nominated for a competitive Academy Award, in November 2014 she was presented with an Honorary Academy Award with the inscription "To Maureen O'Hara, one of Hollywood's brightest stars, whose inspiring performances glowed with passion, warmth and strength". O'Hara joined Myrna Loy in being the only actresses ever to receive an Academy Award for acting without having been nominated previously.[4]

Offline musiclady

« Reply #195 on: October 24, 2015, 06:48:37 pm »

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #196 on: October 24, 2015, 08:52:36 pm »

The Ultimate Ginger....Maureen O'Hara.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 08:54:23 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #197 on: October 24, 2015, 09:15:20 pm »

The Ultimate Ginger....Maureen O'Hara.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #198 on: October 24, 2015, 10:48:00 pm »

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2015/10/24/maureen-ohara-spirited-movie-star-dies-at-5/?intcmp=hpbt4

Maureen O'Hara, spirited movie star, dies at 95

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. –  Maureen O'Hara, the flame-haired Irish movie star who appeared in classics ranging from the grim "How Green Was My Valley" to the uplifting "Miracle on 34th Street" and bantered unforgettably with John Wayne in several films, has died. She was 95.

O'Hara died in her sleep at her home in Boise, Idaho, said Johnny Nicoletti, her longtime manager.

"She passed peacefully surrounded by her loving family as they celebrated her life listening to music from her favorite movie, 'The Quiet Man,'" said a statement from her family.

"As an actress, Maureen O'Hara brought unyielding strength and sudden sensitivity to every role she played. Her characters were feisty and fearless, just as she was in real life. She was also proudly Irish and spent her entire lifetime sharing her heritage and the wonderful culture of the Emerald Isle with the world," said a family biography.

O'Hara came to Hollywood to star in the 1939 "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" and went on to a long career.

During her movie heyday, she became known as the Queen of Technicolor because of the camera's love affair with her vivid hair, pale complexion and fiery nature.

But she also had talent.

"I proved there was a bloody good actress in me," she told the British newspaper The Telegraph last year. "It wasn't just my face. I gave bloody good performances."

She never was nominated for a competitive Oscar but received an honorary Academy Award last year.

After her start in Hollywood with "Hunchback" and some minor films at RKO, she was borrowed by 20th Century Fox to play the beautiful young daughter in the 1941 saga of a coal-mining family, "How Green Was My Valley."

"How Green Was My Valley" went on to win five Oscars including best picture and best director for John Ford, beating out Orson Welles and "Citizen Kane" among others. It was the first of several films she made under the direction of Ford, whose grouchy nature seemed to melt in her presence — although he once punched her hard in the jaw at a party.

The popularity of "How Green Was My Valley" confirmed O'Hara's status as a Hollywood star. RKO and Fox shared her contract, and her most successful films were made at Fox.

They included "Miracle on 34th Street," the classic 1947 Christmas story in which O'Hara was little Natalie Wood's skeptical mother and among those charmed by Edmund Gwenn as a man who believed he was Santa Claus.

Other films included the costume drama "The Foxes of Harrow" (Rex Harrison, 1947); the comedy "Sitting Pretty" (Clifton Webb, 1948); and the sports comedy "Father Was a Fullback" (Fred MacMurray, 1949).

Often she sailed the high seas in colorful pirate adventures such as "The Black Swan" with Tyrone Power, "The Spanish Main" with Paul Henreid, "Sinbad the Sailor" with Douglas Fairbanks Jr., and "Against All Flags" with Errol Flynn.

With Ford's "Rio Grande" in 1950, O'Hara became Wayne's favorite leading lady. The most successful of their five films was 1952's "The Quiet Man," also directed by Ford, in which she matched Wayne blow for blow in a classic donnybrook.

In one scene, she recalled, Wayne drags her across a field that he and Ford had covered with sheep dung.

With her Irish spunk, she could stand up to the rugged Duke, both on and off screen. She was proud when he remarked in an interview that he preferred to work with men — "except for Maureen O'Hara; she's a great guy."

Offline Paladin

« Reply #199 on: October 30, 2015, 11:34:46 pm »
"'Miss Moneypenny' Actress Lois Maxwell Dies at 80"

'Lois Maxwell, who played Miss Moneypenny in 14 James Bond films, has died.

The Canadian actress, who was living in Australia, passed away at the age of 80.

She starred alongside Sean Connery in the first Bond film, "Dr No," in 1962.

Maxwell continued in the role until 1985, when she played M's secretary for the last time in "A View To A Kill" with Roger Moore.

Moore paid tribute to the star, calling her his 'lucky token."

He told Sky News she would be remembered with "great affection", adding: "She will certainly be missed by me, and I'm sure by millions of fans around the world."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2007/09/30/miss-moneypenny-actress-lois-maxwell-dies-at-80.html

I did a thorough search to see if her demise had already been posted and found nothing despite the fact the story is dated 09/30. God rest her soul. Everyone loved Ms Moneypenny.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.