Author Topic: Sports Hall of Fame catcher Yogi Berra dies at 90  (Read 888 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Sports Hall of Fame catcher Yogi Berra dies at 90
« on: September 23, 2015, 07:49:44 am »
I don't sport. I heard of him. He gets his own thread.

Yogi Berra, a Hall of Fame catcher with the New York Yankees, won three Most Valuable Player awards and appeared in the World Series more than any other player in history.

He was also a jovial figure whose knack for tangled tidbits of wisdom — “When you come to a fork in the road, take it”; “It ain’t over till it’s over” — transcended sports to make him one of the most universally beloved figures in American life. He died Sept. 22 at age 90, according to Major League Baseball. No other details were immediately available.

Mr. Berra was a short, squat player who sometimes looked out of place among his more majestic teammates. When he was playing minor league baseball, his own general manager said he resembled “the bottom man on an unemployed acrobatic team.”

But no one found more success on a baseball diamond. In his 19-year career, Mr. Berra played in 14 World Series and was on the winning team 10 times — records unmatched by any baseball player.

He had only an eighth-grade education, but his offhand sayings, which often seemed to encapsulate an acute observation or basic human truth, entered the American vernacular.

Asked what time it was, he once replied, “Do you mean now?”

“When you come to a fork in the road, take it,” he said, as if offering cryptic advice on seizing opportunities and forging an individual path.

“It’s déjà vu all over again,” he said, after his teammates Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris hit consecutive home runs. But the statement has come to imply that everything old is new again.

More: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/hall-of-fame-catcher-yogi-berra-dies-at-90/2015/09/23/881270ba-61bf-11e5-b38e-06883aacba64_story.html
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

rangerrebew

Re: Sports Hall of Fame catcher Yogi Berra dies at 90
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 10:41:08 am »
Yogi Berra, Master Yankee Catcher With Goofy Wit, Dies at 90

By BRUCE WEBERSEPT. 23, 2015
Continue reading the main story

CreditSam Falk/The New York Times

Yogi Berra, one of baseball’s greatest catchers and characters, who as a player was a mainstay of 10 Yankee championship teams and as a manager led both the Yankees and Mets to the World Series — but who may be more widely known as an ungainly but lovable cultural figure, inspiring a cartoon character and issuing a seemingly limitless supply of unwittingly witty epigrams known as Yogi-isms — died on Tuesday. He was 90.

His death was reported by the Yankees and by the Yogi Berra Museum and Learning Center in Little Falls, N.J. Before moving to an assisted living facility in nearby West Caldwell, in 2012, Berra had lived for many years in neighboring Montclair.

In 1949, early in Berra’s Yankee career, his manager assessed him this way in an interview in The Sporting News: “Mr. Berra,” Casey Stengel said, “is a very strange fellow of very remarkable abilities.”

And so he was, and so he proved to be. Universally known simply as Yogi, probably the second most recognizable nickname in sports — even Yogi was not the Babe — Berra was not exactly an unlikely hero, but he was often portrayed as one: an All-Star for 15 consecutive seasons whose skills were routinely underestimated; a well-built, appealingly open-faced man whose physical appearance was often belittled; and a prolific winner — not to mention a successful leader — whose intellect was a target of humor if not outright derision.
Photo
Yogi Berra at Yankee Stadium in 1956. Credit Sam Falk/The New York Times

That he triumphed on the diamond again and again in spite of his perceived shortcomings was certainly a source of his popularity. So was the delight with which his famous, if not always documentable, pronouncements, somehow both nonsensical and sagacious, were received.

“You can observe a lot just by watching,” he is reputed to have declared once, describing his strategy as a manager.

“If you can’t imitate him,” he advised a young player who was mimicking the batting stance of the great slugger Frank Robinson, “don’t copy him.”

“When you come to a fork in the road, take it,” he said, giving directions to his house. Either path, it turned out, got you there.

“Nobody goes there anymore,” he said of a popular restaurant. “It’s too crowded.”

Whether Berra actually uttered the many things attributed to him, or was the first to say them, or phrased them precisely the way they were reported, has long been a matter of speculation. Berra himself published a book in 1998 called “The Yogi Book: I Really Didn’t Say Everything I Said!” But the Yogi-isms testified to a character — goofy and philosophical, flighty and down to earth — that came to define the man.

MORE

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/24/sports/baseball/yogi-berra-dies-at-90-yankees-baseball-catcher.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=photo-spot-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 10:41:53 am by rangerrebew »

bkepley

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 02:02:45 pm »
MLB.com

In addition to his stellar play on the field, Yogi Berra, the legendary Yankee who passed away Tuesday at the age of 90, was known for his memorable quips. His remarks helped sculpt his image, even though he sometimes denied speaking some of the phrases attributed to him, once saying, "I really didn't say everything I said."

As we remember Yogi, here is a sampling of some of his most famous sayings.
• "It ain't over 'til it's over."
• About a St. Louis restaurant: "No one goes there anymore. It's too crowded."
• About the effect of the sun in left field in the old Yankee Stadium during late-season games: "It gets late early out there."
• About Bill Dickey: "He learned me all his experience."
• "You can observe a lot by watching."
• "If people don't want to come to the ballpark, how are you going to stop them?"
• "We made too many wrong mistakes."
• "Pie a la mode, with ice cream."
• "I wish I had an answer to that, because I'm tired of answering that question."
• "You tell the stupidest questions."
• "Pair 'em up in threes."
• The recording heard on the Yogi Berra Museum and Learning Center's phone: "This message won't be over 'til it's done."
• And No. 2 on his hit list: "It's deja vu all over again," words that many people doubt he ever uttered.

More: http://m.mlb.com/news/article/151151514/yogi-berra-quotes

My favorite: His wife asked him where he wanted to be buried.  He said "I don't know.  Why don't you surprise me".

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 05:13:38 pm »
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 06:31:15 pm »
Wow, it's like deja vu all over again.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 06:44:44 pm »

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 08:25:49 pm »
Simply one of the greatest players and one of the greatest personalities in all of baseball's sizable history. And a great, simple and kind man too. Goodbye Yogi, the world is better for you having been in it.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 08:58:42 pm »
WW II vet. Served in the Navy at Normandy on D-Day. Best bad ball hitter I ever saw. A class act. A class catcher!
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 09:02:41 pm »
I mean, what more could you ask for a guy?

He served his country with honor, was one of the best baseball players ever, was a pretty darn good manager, and he had a good sense of humor and personality.

Even a Red Sox fan couldn't speak ill of the guy, and that says a lot.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 09:13:59 pm »

LOL!  Had it wrong....it's Yogi Being held!!   :laugh:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 09:14:50 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

bkepley

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 10:59:20 pm »
Always go to other peoples funerals or they likely won't come to yours.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 11:26:35 pm »
When once asked where he'd like to be buried, he replied, "I don't know.  Surprise me.".      :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald