Author Topic: Pets Welcomed  (Read 502306 times)

Offline berdie

Re: Pets Welcomed
« Reply #8350 on: November 25, 2023, 05:34:42 pm »
I’m not beefy, though I am tall for a woman.  Traditionally I’ve been thin but officially I’m overweight, just no one thinks so.  If I was overweight I couldn’t myself get around a dog.  My GS each fit well in my hug, though.

Poodles are actually allowed a Sporting Clip in AKC shows, but few show people actually use it.  That is the closest to normal.  Only the feet and most of the tail show as shorn.

Conformation isn’t the most interesting but I love to see all the dogs and see what pedigrees they have.  It’s great seeing all of one breed.  My first AKC show I ever went to was a Collie specialty.  I loved seeing the dogs and all their variety.  Learned about the Smooth and then the blue merle color, which we hated at first.  Then I grew to really like it!

I didn't realize they could use a field cut. I guess it's not as flashy as a show cut.

Like you said, I actually like seeing breed specific shows. You can occasionally catch one on tv.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #8351 on: November 25, 2023, 05:39:57 pm »
@berdie

I fostered a poodle for a time once. Very smart dog and would run with the big guys like she was one of them. Very funny to watch. I have a good friend who is a groomer/trainer/breeder (Catahoula) that assured me the standards are the best guard dog one could have. I never had one wander up, so I guess I'll believe her. Most of mine looked imposing but would probably just lick an intruder to death.

Don't believe  that for a minute. Chances are they have just never been in a position where you were at danger or risk of attack.

Several  years ago I had to call the rescue squad to come to my house to take me to the ER. I also called my ex,told her what was going on,and asked her to feed my cats while I was in the hospital.

The ex and her sister got here before the rescue squad that is MAYBE a half-mile away,and witnessed that little black and white  female "Sylvester cat" jump up  on the arm of the couch I was sitting in,hump up her back,and snarling at the rescue squad in an effort to "protect" me. I had to pick her up and pet her to calm her down,and then put her in a travel cage to make sure nobody hurt her while the rescue squad was taking me out. My ex,of course,let her out of the travel cage after we were gone.

This little "short hair dwarf cat" that probably doesn't weigh 5 lbs was found trying to hide in the tall grass around my yard after someone abandoned her on this island. I spotted her  when I came home from the grocery store one day. She was so tame that while she did hunker-down and appear to be trying to hide,she let me pick her up and take her inside the house. Once I sat her down  on the floor,she took a look around,discovered she was inside a house again,and immediately made herself at home.

A few months later I found another abandoned "Sylvester Cat" in my yard when I came home. This one is a male that was maybe 1 or 2 lbs heavier than the female,but with  the same "I wanna eat and take a nap" personality,and long hair. Both  are VERY affectionate and like to be petted and handled. The male was trying to lay down  on my shoulder to take a nap earlier today.

MAYBE cats don't do this sort of thing often,but some do sometimes.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2023, 05:41:31 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline berdie

« Reply #8352 on: November 25, 2023, 06:27:29 pm »
You have a watch cat @sneakypete ! Truthfully, I'd be more fearful of a cat than a dog.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #8353 on: November 25, 2023, 10:33:52 pm »
Since the advent of Labradoodles, poodles are starting to have a farm presence again...

Of course, I didn't know em to be poodles for quite a while, them being long haired and not ever made up foofy like in the city... But they do get matted and tend to attract cockle burrs and stick-tights even worse than my beloved Aussies... And they sure don't brush out... So it seems to be that they all necessarily get a shearing in the summer.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #8354 on: November 25, 2023, 10:49:42 pm »
You have a watch cat @sneakypete ! Truthfully, I'd be more fearful of a cat than a dog.

Watch cats are great. I had a cat who disliked any guy I ever dated. She would poop in their shoes to get rid of them. She was a better judge of character than I was, I think. LOL.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #8355 on: November 27, 2023, 11:36:10 am »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #8356 on: November 27, 2023, 11:46:41 am »
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #8357 on: November 27, 2023, 10:47:20 pm »

Useful doggie

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #8358 on: November 27, 2023, 10:48:22 pm »

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #8359 on: November 28, 2023, 01:20:29 am »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #8360 on: November 28, 2023, 01:33:09 am »

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #8361 on: November 28, 2023, 05:07:18 pm »

OMG! That little dog is almost as smart as my poodle. I'm smitten! 3333hugs 3333hugs 3333hugs

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

« Reply #8362 on: November 29, 2023, 03:07:35 am »

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #8363 on: November 29, 2023, 06:19:22 pm »

I love this one. Thank you @240B

you made my afternoon,
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

« Reply #8364 on: December 06, 2023, 01:45:07 am »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #8365 on: December 06, 2023, 03:00:11 am »

@Right_in_Virginia

I'm a sucker for stuff like this.

I feed stray/abandoned/wild cats behind the dumpsters of a local supermarket every day. A varying number of them aren't really stray because they were born there after the mother cat "owners" found out they were pregnant,and just abandoned them.

There is a huge electrical box of some sort there in a cement pad,and I pour dry cat food on the cement,and then dump canned cat food on top of it. I also put out a little more than a gallon of water every day for them to have clean water to drink.

Noticed a hole dug right next to the cement a few months ago that was maybe 5 inches long,3 inches wide,and maybe 2-3 inches deep. Keep planning on bringing a shovel and filling it up because I kept "almost" stumbling after setting a foot in it.

Was out there one day when it was really overcast,and noticed something black in the hole that wasn't moving and filled the whole hole. I was busy feeding the cats when I spotted it,and figured I would find out what it was when I was through.

Come to find out it was a new-born female kitten. Lots of people don't realize,or even believe that animals have the innate ability to reason and come to conclusions,but what happened was one of the wild black cats had kittens,and most likely didn't have enough milk to feed them all,so one had to be "abandoned" in order to keep the whole litter from suffering,and she was smart enough to not just leave the kitten lay on the ground,but took it up where me and the others who sometimes feed the cats,most likely hoping someone will adopt her.

It happened to be a holiday weekend this happened,and the closest vet office that was open was about 75 miles away.

Then I thought about this woman friend of mine who is a farmer and likes to keep a lot of cats around because she has silos of corn and other crops stored. So I took the kitten to her,and she said she would see what she could do,while pretending to be casual about it. The next day she was operating farm equipment,with the kitten in her shirt pocket so she could stop occasionally to feed it,and to keep it warm. When the kitten got her eyes open and started to move around,she put it in a basket with a towel in the bottom,and still operated her combine and other equipment,with the kitten tucked up under a blanket in the basket.

I saw her out in her yard a couple of weeks ago and stopped to ask her about the kitten,and she put on her "happy face" and told me to follow her in the house. The kitten is now a VERY playful young cat,and has her own box in the house,in addition to her own litter box.

So much for the kitten catching mice around her corn. That little cat is now a house cat.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2023, 03:03:42 am by sneakypete »

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #8366 on: December 06, 2023, 08:26:21 pm »

« Reply #8367 on: December 06, 2023, 09:10:42 pm »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #8368 on: December 06, 2023, 10:13:11 pm »

@Right_in_Virginia

Looks like the "new  pooch" is a little "too chill" for the  old pooch.

« Reply #8369 on: December 07, 2023, 08:11:32 pm »

« Reply #8370 on: December 07, 2023, 08:13:54 pm »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #8372 on: December 07, 2023, 09:22:15 pm »
@Right_in_Virginia

Looks like the "new  pooch" is a little "too chill" for the  old pooch.

@sneakypete

blij26

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

« Reply #8373 on: December 09, 2023, 11:22:41 pm »

« Reply #8374 on: December 10, 2023, 12:21:04 am »