Author Topic: Pets Welcomed  (Read 502187 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: Pets Welcomed
« Reply #8325 on: November 18, 2023, 02:37:04 am »

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #8326 on: November 18, 2023, 02:54:07 pm »
Kitten experiencing sunlight for the first time.. 😊

https://twitter.com/buitengebieden/status/1725637060948545586

Sunshine on my fur makes a very happy kitten
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

« Reply #8327 on: November 18, 2023, 05:34:44 pm »
Every child should grow up with a dog, do you agree? 🐶

https://twitter.com/_B___S/status/1725651513664540897

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #8328 on: November 18, 2023, 09:31:49 pm »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

« Reply #8329 on: November 18, 2023, 11:34:05 pm »
@Right_in_Virginia

I sure do,and will add every  child needs to grow up  with a cat,also.

:thumbsup:  @sneakypete

« Reply #8330 on: November 20, 2023, 05:05:51 am »

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #8331 on: November 20, 2023, 12:50:11 pm »

So cute! Stealing to send to my family.

❤️❤️❤️
@Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #8332 on: November 20, 2023, 09:39:03 pm »

So cute! Stealing to send to my family.

❤️❤️❤️
@Right_in_Virginia

I did, too @Gefn    :HappyTday:  ♥️

« Reply #8333 on: November 20, 2023, 09:50:34 pm »

« Reply #8334 on: November 20, 2023, 10:14:17 pm »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #8335 on: November 20, 2023, 10:51:33 pm »
Bad hair day.. 😂

https://twitter.com/buitengebieden/status/1726692753562832974

@Right_in_Virginia

Is there ANY creature on this planet that can manage to look more pissed-off than a cat,who isn't even irritated,never mind pissed off?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #8336 on: November 20, 2023, 10:56:31 pm »

I had a cat who loved dragging toilet paper all over

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #8337 on: November 22, 2023, 05:18:25 am »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline berdie

« Reply #8338 on: November 23, 2023, 09:47:00 pm »
Just wondering if anyone watched the dog show? I don't agree with the premise of these shows but do enjoy seeing the dogs. And, as usual, left shaking my head at the winner.

How about you @the OlLine Rebel?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2023, 09:54:48 pm by berdie »

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #8339 on: November 23, 2023, 11:17:40 pm »
berdie wrote:
"And, as usual, left shaking my head at the winner."

Well, do tell us:
Which dog won?

Online the OlLine Rebel

« Reply #8340 on: November 24, 2023, 01:55:35 am »
Just wondering if anyone watched the dog show? I don't agree with the premise of these shows but do enjoy seeing the dogs. And, as usual, left shaking my head at the winner.

How about you @the OlLine Rebel?

I’m flattered that you tagged me for this, though I’m humbled as to why.

Anyway, I only saw a tiny bit as I was too busy.  The start when they showed Herding and I got to see German Shepherd right away and he won.  Also loved seeing the Collies with a blue merle rough and the smooth standard sable.

First off let’s all remember this is a sham.

There is no and never was a “National Dog Show”.  This show is actually the Philly KC which held a show a month ago or so.  It is not live at all.  Hence the really short cuts even at the Group level.

As a person who once delved heavily into dogs this all was a shock to me.  We dug a bit and discovered the truth.

The closest we ever came to a “National Dog Show” was the AKC Centennial show which was also hosted by Philly.  Luckily, the great GS Manhattan won that and I was so happy.

Otherwise Westminster is the closest to a National, because it has pretty stringent requirements and everyone tries to get in from all over the country, and not just part of a “circuit”.

So what you’re watching is an opportunity by the network to fill time on TG with already edited film.  It means no more for that dog than any given all-breed show.  He is not a special “champion” for winning it.

Sorry, that gets me on my soapbox!

As far as who wins….it’s based on what the judge thinks of how the dog “conforms” to the “conformation” standard for its breed.  I suspect though, that popular breeds get bias only because the judge doesn’t get to exam and study rarer breeds too much.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue.

Offline berdie

« Reply #8341 on: November 24, 2023, 08:28:10 pm »
berdie wrote:
"And, as usual, left shaking my head at the winner."

Well, do tell us:
Which dog won?

The Sealyham Terrier which had some very stiff competition. :laugh:

« Reply #8342 on: November 24, 2023, 08:37:37 pm »

Offline berdie

« Reply #8343 on: November 24, 2023, 09:07:18 pm »
I’m flattered that you tagged me for this, though I’m humbled as to why.

Anyway, I only saw a tiny bit as I was too busy.  The start when they showed Herding and I got to see German Shepherd right away and he won.  Also loved seeing the Collies with a blue merle rough and the smooth standard sable.

First off let’s all remember this is a sham.

There is no and never was a “National Dog Show”.  This show is actually the Philly KC which held a show a month ago or so.  It is not live at all.  Hence the really short cuts even at the Group level.

As a person who once delved heavily into dogs this all was a shock to me.  We dug a bit and discovered the truth.

The closest we ever came to a “National Dog Show” was the AKC Centennial show which was also hosted by Philly.  Luckily, the great GS Manhattan won that and I was so happy.

Otherwise Westminster is the closest to a National, because it has pretty stringent requirements and everyone tries to get in from all over the country, and not just part of a “circuit”.

So what you’re watching is an opportunity by the network to fill time on TG with already edited film.  It means no more for that dog than any given all-breed show.  He is not a special “champion” for winning it.

Sorry, that gets me on my soapbox!

As far as who wins….it’s based on what the judge thinks of how the dog “conforms” to the “conformation” standard for its breed.  I suspect though, that popular breeds get bias only because the judge doesn’t get to exam and study rarer breeds too much.

I pinged you because I remember you from the FR dog threads. I always found your posts extremely educational and informative, as was this one. :laugh:

I am driven to see certain dogs win...so I would be a lousy judge, lol. For instance, I ADORE big dogs. Consequently, I was all in for the ginormous Great Dane. But from what little I know about "showing" he didn't show well. IMO, the GS didn't have the greatest stance that I've seen.

I will confess, I've never shown a dog. My opinion is worthless, lol. Out of the many, many dogs I've had in my life I've only had one that was papered thru the WKC. A miniature Cocker. The rest have all been mutts who wandered into the yard looking for a home. But they were mighty pretty mutts! 

« Reply #8344 on: November 24, 2023, 09:26:34 pm »

« Reply #8345 on: November 24, 2023, 09:45:34 pm »

Online the OlLine Rebel

« Reply #8346 on: November 24, 2023, 10:56:56 pm »

I pinged you because I remember you from the FR dog threads. I always found your posts extremely educational and informative, as was this one. :laugh:

I am driven to see certain dogs win...so I would be a lousy judge, lol. For instance, I ADORE big dogs. Consequently, I was all in for the ginormous Great Dane. But from what little I know about "showing" he didn't show well. IMO, the GS didn't have the greatest stance that I've seen.

I will confess, I've never shown a dog. My opinion is worthless, lol. Out of the many, many dogs I've had in my life I've only had one that was papered thru the WKC. A miniature Cocker. The rest have all been mutts who wandered into the yard looking for a home. But they were mighty pretty mutts!

Again, I’m flattered.  I really only have a little experience, which was long ago.  E.g., imagine my befuddlement upon hearing of “Grand Champions (GCh)” after I’d been ignoring so long.  Then the agility titles.  And all the breeds they added!  When I last paid detailed attention AKC recognized 132 breeds.

I didn’t realize you were on FR - then I’d probably understand you might recall my posts!

Anyway, as it turns out last Tuesday was the exact same-timing anniversary of my most beloved dog’s death (euthanized; GSD), who happened to be my only “show dog” who was my direct entry into the world.  She didn’t work out for that, but was great.  I think of her a lot.

I prefer bigger dogs too.  Generally beefier…tall should be fatter, etc.  I like small dogs too.  But sometimes I think it’s actually easier to hug a big dog.  Little dogs just get lost in the arms.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #8347 on: November 24, 2023, 11:50:12 pm »
I like small dogs too.  But sometimes I think it’s actually easier to hug a big dog.  Little dogs just get lost in the arms.

@the OlLine Rebel
@berdie

Maybe so for beefier persons, but we dinky folks are built just right for the little ones.  wink777 This really works out for me because I just couldn't afford to feed a large dog -- even before Bidenflation. One can of dog food feeds my little 7.5-lb. guy for 3 days. That's feeding him in the morning and the evening. I've determined that people with large dogs are RICH! But I'm glad there are those who can afford it because I want all dogs to have loving homes where they're properly fed.

BTW, as much as I adore dogs, I just can't do dog shows. They bore me, plus I think all dogs are just wonderful so I'd never be able to pick a winner. One final thing that makes me dislike them: they make poodles wear those goofy haircuts. (Yes, I understand the purpose of the haircut.) For all the poodles I've known in my life, I've never seen one in those haircuts. It wasn't until I rescued one and fell in love with poodles that I started hearing all the dissing about the breed. I had no idea how much hatred could be targeted at a dog because of a silly haircut.  8888crybaby

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Online the OlLine Rebel

« Reply #8348 on: November 25, 2023, 03:55:00 am »
@the OlLine Rebel
@berdie

Maybe so for beefier persons, but we dinky folks are built just right for the little ones.  wink777 This really works out for me because I just couldn't afford to feed a large dog -- even before Bidenflation. One can of dog food feeds my little 7.5-lb. guy for 3 days. That's feeding him in the morning and the evening. I've determined that people with large dogs are RICH! But I'm glad there are those who can afford it because I want all dogs to have loving homes where they're properly fed.

BTW, as much as I adore dogs, I just can't do dog shows. They bore me, plus I think all dogs are just wonderful so I'd never be able to pick a winner. One final thing that makes me dislike them: they make poodles wear those goofy haircuts. (Yes, I understand the purpose of the haircut.) For all the poodles I've known in my life, I've never seen one in those haircuts. It wasn't until I rescued one and fell in love with poodles that I started hearing all the dissing about the breed. I had no idea how much hatred could be targeted at a dog because of a silly haircut.  8888crybaby

I’m not beefy, though I am tall for a woman.  Traditionally I’ve been thin but officially I’m overweight, just no one thinks so.  If I was overweight I couldn’t myself get around a dog.  My GS each fit well in my hug, though.

Poodles are actually allowed a Sporting Clip in AKC shows, but few show people actually use it.  That is the closest to normal.  Only the feet and most of the tail show as shorn.

Conformation isn’t the most interesting but I love to see all the dogs and see what pedigrees they have.  It’s great seeing all of one breed.  My first AKC show I ever went to was a Collie specialty.  I loved seeing the dogs and all their variety.  Learned about the Smooth and then the blue merle color, which we hated at first.  Then I grew to really like it!

Offline berdie

« Reply #8349 on: November 25, 2023, 05:23:13 pm »
@the OlLine Rebel
@berdie

I love all dogs as well. And all animals for that matter. I don't know why I'm attracted to the bigger breeds. Maybe because they are as close as I'll ever come again to owning a horse? Like you, @AllThatJazzZ , I'm a squatty body (and getting squattier by the year, lol). My last "pack" included 5 big guys that consumed a large part of my measly budget, pun intended.

I fostered a poodle for a time once. Very smart dog and would run with the big guys like she was one of them. Very funny to watch. I have a good friend who is a groomer/trainer/breeder (Catahoula) that assured me the standards are the best guard dog one could have. I never had one wander up, so I guess I'll believe her. Most of mine looked imposing but would probably just lick an intruder to death.