Author Topic: Trump draws his line in the sand on abortion as Republicans try to find their footing on pivotal sub  (Read 1616 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump draws his line in the sand on abortion as Republicans try to find their footing on pivotal subject
By
Annabella Rosciglione
April 8, 2024 8:20 am

After months of dodging questions about his thoughts on abortion, former President Donald Trump said abortion laws should be left up to the states.

In an announcement on Truth Social on Monday, Trump said he was proud to be the president responsible for overturning Roe v. Wade. In 2016, Trump campaigned on appointing right-leaning justices to the Supreme Court who would overturn Roe.

“My view is now that we have abortion where everybody wanted it from a legal standpoint, the states will determine by vote or legislation or perhaps both, and whatever they decide must be the law of the land,” Trump said. “In this case, the law of the state.”

“Many states will be different. Many will have a different number of weeks, or some will have more conservative than others, and that’s what they will be,” Trump said.

Trump’s position drew fire from anti-abortion heavyweight group Susan B. Anthony Pro-Life America, which had a close relationship with the former president’s administration but has criticized him since he left office.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/2957228/trump-draws-line-in-sand-abortion-as-republicans-try-find-footing-pivotal-subject/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online LMAO

Trump draws his line in the sand on abortion as Republicans try to find their footing on pivotal subject
By
Annabella Rosciglione
April 8, 2024 8:20 am

After months of dodging questions about his thoughts on abortion, former President Donald Trump said abortion laws should be left up to the states.

In an announcement on Truth Social on Monday, Trump said he was proud to be the president responsible for overturning Roe v. Wade. In 2016, Trump campaigned on appointing right-leaning justices to the Supreme Court who would overturn Roe.

“My view is now that we have abortion where everybody wanted it from a legal standpoint, the states will determine by vote or legislation or perhaps both, and whatever they decide must be the law of the land,” Trump said. “In this case, the law of the state.”

“Many states will be different. Many will have a different number of weeks, or some will have more conservative than others, and that’s what they will be,” Trump said.

Trump’s position drew fire from anti-abortion heavyweight group Susan B. Anthony Pro-Life America, which had a close relationship with the former president’s administration but has criticized him since he left office.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/2957228/trump-draws-line-in-sand-abortion-as-republicans-try-find-footing-pivotal-subject/

This is where Trump may run in trouble with aspects of his base. I agree with this statement here that it should be left up to the states.  But both sides are going to require he take a position. Now, The left isn’t going to vote for him anyway, so it doesn’t matter

However, enough  religious voters could decide no way to him.

My position on abortion has always been similar to Rush Limbaugh’s. You don’t pass a mess of laws. You work to change  the hearts and minds of people
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online cato potatoe

The position is sensible, but give him 5 minutes and he will contradict himself. 

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Trump's Abortion Statement Is Here
Leah Barkoukis

« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 02:42:09 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

This is where Trump may run in trouble with aspects of his base. I agree with this statement here that it should be left up to the states.  But both sides are going to require he take a position. Now, The left isn’t going to vote for him anyway, so it doesn’t matter

My position on abortion has always been similar to Rush Limbaugh’s. You don’t pass a mess of laws. You work to change  the hearts and minds of people

My position is, and always has been, that the federal government doesn't have any authority over it currently.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online corbe

The position is sensible, but give him 5 minutes and he will contradict himself. 
:thumbsup:
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline roamer_1

This is already a contradiction to his promise to come up with an abortion path that everyone would agree with.

Mine is not so cavalier, nor is it in agreement with it being an issue for the states... But I will take it. Roe was wrong on its face, so it was right that it would be overturned.

But it remains in error.
It is sanctioning death.
There are only two ways that this government can legally sanction death: Just cause (war), and due process.
Anywhere in the country that is true.

Otherwise the Constitution is obliged to the DoI
And the DoI says, in the origination of its claim to authority - This is the very originating claim of the authority of this country - The rightness of its cause: And foremost within is the idea of being duty-bound to protect the rights of its citizens

Rights given by God, not by Man.
And foremost among them, as enumerated - LIFE.

It is inescapable.
It rings like hardened steel.
That cannot be changed or bargained.
It is the duty of this country to protect Life.
And that is what it should do.

Online LMAO

I am personally pro-life

But I also understand that it’s the pregnant woman  that has to deal with the consequence of whatever she decides to do with her pregnancy. Not me. Not the state’s. But the pregnant woman herself

But I do agree with posters who believe that Trump’s position will probably change again somewhere down the road. He’s already changed his mind already. No reason to think he’ll flip-flop again

I think he believes that this will placate the left somewhat  and he figures that evangelical voters will vote for him regardless of his position. I have a hunch that we’re going to see Donald Trump’s second term more geared towards showing the New York Times that he’s not such a bad guy. He won’t need the votes anymore of his rally attendees
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum

Online corbe

In the 9 years Trump has been on the scene as a Republican politician he has gone from believing in partial birth abortion to this, remarkable. 

I smell Ivanka and political reality colliding.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Right_in_Virginia

I am personally pro-life

But I do agree with posters who believe that Trump’s position will probably change again somewhere down the road. He’s already changed his mind already.

Online Right_in_Virginia

johnny maga
@_johnnymaga

Trump’s official abortion stance is amazing

- Wants states to make decisions on restrictions, as long as it’s not late term

- Exceptions for rape, incest, life of the mother

- Strong support for IVF and fertility treatments

This is how we win

8:11 AM · Apr 8, 2024

Online LMAO

In the 9 years Trump has been on the scene as a Republican politician he has gone from believing in partial birth abortion to this, remarkable. 

Which, as history shows, may change again

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trumps-many-abortion-positions-timeline-rcna146601

@corbe
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 11:34:29 pm by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater

Online Right_in_Virginia

Bill Mitchell: " No Federal abortion law. He favors IVF.  Exceptions for rape, incest and to defend the life of the mother.  I completely agree with this. Trump just took abortion off the table for 2024. Brilliant.". (Video)

https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/1777323342954909836

Online libertybele

He's changing his stance from September of last year -- he'll change it again. 

https://www.axios.com/2023/09/17/trump-abortion-federal-state-regulations
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Right_in_Virginia

Mark Levin:  "President Trump’s superb statement on abortion". (Video)

https://twitter.com/marklevinshow/status/1777316052512211083

Online corbe

Not surprisingly, Trump looks less Orange than Mark Levin in the posted Video Avatar above.

Online Right_in_Virginia

Online libertybele

Which, as history shows, may change again

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trumps-many-abortion-positions-timeline-rcna146601

@corbe

He backpedals on many issues.  This is just one.  The 2A is another.  It all depends on what 'group' he's trying to appease at the time.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot

https://www.axios.com/2023/09/17/trump-abortion-federal-state-regulations

Try February 2024:

Trump Privately Expresses Support for a 16-Week Abortion Ban

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/16/us/politics/trump-abortion-ban.html

Former President Donald J. Trump has told advisers and allies that he likes the idea of a 16-week national abortion ban with three exceptions, in cases of rape or incest, or to save the life of the mother, according to two people with direct knowledge of Mr. Trump’s deliberations.

Mr. Trump has studiously avoided taking a clear position on restrictions to abortion since Roe v. Wade was overturned in the middle of 2022, galvanizing Democrats ahead of the midterm elections that year. He has said in private that he wants to wait until the Republican presidential primary contest is over to publicly discuss his views, because he doesn’t want to risk alienating social conservatives before he has secured the nomination, the two people said.

I wonder how long it will take before he changes his mind again, depending on which way the political winds are blowing?
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Online LMAO

Some don't seem to understand the concept of (insert latest number here) dimensional chess

Whatever stance Trump takes on any given issue at any given moment, his supporters will marvel at the "brilliant" stance he took

Barry Goldwater

Online corbe

I would certainly agree with the Trumpers that he is indeed playing multi-dimensional whatever but clearly the Board is one-dimensional.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

Bill Mitchell: " No Federal abortion law. He favors IVF.  Exceptions for rape, incest and to defend the life of the mother.  I completely agree with this. Trump just took abortion off the table for 2024. Brilliant.". (Video)

Indeed!   :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline NavyCanDo

Biden wants to make this election about abortion. If he does, he wins. End of story. Trump just took that strategy away from Biden, but some Republicans want to give it back to Biden.   Trumps decision was consistent with the Supreme Courts decision on Roe v Wade, and quite frankly it surprised me a bit. I was sure he would run on banning abortion beyond xx weeks nationwide or something.   

Chose your battles and the timing of them wisely.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Hoodat

Wow, Trump finally adopted a Conservative position?  What brought that on?

A timeline of Trump's many, many positions on abortion

Since 1999, Trump has been on just about every side of the abortion issue. Here's a timeline of his many positions.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-