Author Topic: Logistics: Bullets by the Billion  (Read 152 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Logistics: Bullets by the Billion
« on: January 17, 2024, 07:00:15 pm »
Logistics: Bullets by the Billion

January 17, 2024: The US military spends about $10 billion on small-arms ammunition annually. The most common caliber ammunition used by the US military is the 5.56x45mm NATO Standard round. On average, an American soldier carries around 210 rounds of ammunition for their primary weapon, which is usually an M-16 or M-4 automatic rifle. U.S. military depots store an estimated 15 billion rounds of small-arms ammunition. The Blue Grass Army Depot in Kentucky is the largest US military ammunition storage facility.

Small arms ammunition typically remains in storage for up to 20 years. The US military uses a variety of small-arms ammunition in combat, including 5.56mm, 7.62mm, and .50 caliber rounds. The US military replenishes its ammunition stockpiles on a regular basis, based on usage and demand. New military ammunition undergoes extensive testing and evaluation to ensure reliability, accuracy, and performance.

The US military transports ammunition by air, sea, and ground with the same degree of security large shipments of civilian rifle, shotgun and pistol ammunition receives. Ammunition storage facilities are heavily guarded and protected to prevent theft, sabotage, or accidents. The United States has its own ammunition manufacturing facilities but also contracts with private companies to increase production.

https://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htlog/articles/20240117.aspx
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson