Author Topic: CUTTING ARMY SPECIAL OPERATIONS WILL ERODE THE MILITARY’S ABILITY TO INFLUENCE THE MODERN BATTLEFIEL  (Read 176 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
CUTTING ARMY SPECIAL OPERATIONS WILL ERODE THE MILITARY’S ABILITY TO INFLUENCE THE MODERN BATTLEFIELD
COLE LIVIERATOS
JANUARY 9, 2024

The U.S. Army is currently undergoing significant force structure changes as it wrestles with two major challenges. First, its current recruiting problems have reduced the number of active-duty soldiers by about 30,000 from 2021 through 2024. Second, it is trying to modernize its force structure and capabilities to confront challenges posed by China’s military. To do this, the service’s leaders have chosen to focus on capabilities most “relevant for large-scale combat operations.” As a result, Army leaders have chosen to reduce Army special operations forces, which they view as a force primarily meant for counterinsurgency and counterterrorism, by 3,000 slots.

By cutting special operations forces, the Army is making the contentious yet defensible decision to optimize for the less likely but potentially more catastrophic possibility of a large-scale war with a peer adversary. This decision assumes risk in the joint force’s ability to compete and engage in irregular warfare, which is historically more frequent than conventional wars and will be a critical component of any large-scale conflict. 

Army Special Operations Command was granted discretion to decide which parts of its formation will be eliminated and has chosen to reduce support forces like intelligence and logistics as well as civil affairs and psychological operations. These forces are amongst the smallest yet most in-demand units in special operations. The command has spared Ranger, aviation, special forces, and other special mission units. In doing so, Army Special Operations Command is assuming risk in operations to understand and influence the modern battlefield.

https://warontherocks.com/2024/01/cutting-army-special-operations-will-erode-the-militarys-ability-to-influence-the-modern-battlefield/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
CUTTING ARMY SPECIAL OPERATIONS WILL ERODE THE MILITARY’S ABILITY TO INFLUENCE THE MODERN BATTLEFIELD
COLE LIVIERATOS
JANUARY 9, 2024

The U.S. Army is currently undergoing significant force structure changes as it wrestles with two major challenges. First, its current recruiting problems have reduced the number of active-duty soldiers by about 30,000 from 2021 through 2024. Second, it is trying to modernize its force structure and capabilities to confront challenges posed by China’s military. To do this, the service’s leaders have chosen to focus on capabilities most “relevant for large-scale combat operations.” As a result, Army leaders have chosen to reduce Army special operations forces, which they view as a force primarily meant for counterinsurgency and counterterrorism, by 3,000 slots.

By cutting special operations forces, the Army is making the contentious yet defensible decision to optimize for the less likely but potentially more catastrophic possibility of a large-scale war with a peer adversary. This decision assumes risk in the joint force’s ability to compete and engage in irregular warfare, which is historically more frequent than conventional wars and will be a critical component of any large-scale conflict. 

Army Special Operations Command was granted discretion to decide which parts of its formation will be eliminated and has chosen to reduce support forces like intelligence and logistics as well as civil affairs and psychological operations. These forces are amongst the smallest yet most in-demand units in special operations. The command has spared Ranger, aviation, special forces, and other special mission units. In doing so, Army Special Operations Command is assuming risk in operations to understand and influence the modern battlefield.

https://warontherocks.com/2024/01/cutting-army-special-operations-will-erode-the-militarys-ability-to-influence-the-modern-battlefield/

@rangerrebew

No surprise there. "Big Army" has always demanded soldiers that "wear red and march in a straight line",and hated the "Free Thinkers" in Special Forces.

Not to mention all the officers in SF that fraternize with enlisted scum to  the point of drinking and partying with them. That sort of think was completely unacceptable in the Regular Army.

The ONLY reason I didn't get a bad conduct discharge from the army was my assignment to SF. Yeah,it was to a support company,which isn't actually SF,but there was no avoiding contact and sometimes shared training with actual SF soldiers,and that was what convinced me I need to  be transferred to a line company and get SF training. I have been thankful for that transfer for every day of my life since it happened. I have nothing  but fond memories of my life in SF.

I truly feel sorry for the guys that had to serve in conventional units.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 10:23:27 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!