Author Topic: The Official TBR Silliness Thread---2024  (Read 226655 times)

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Re: The Official TBR Silliness Thread---2024
« Reply #775 on: July 07, 2024, 01:24:08 pm »
funny-Dump-pt-2
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline DCPatriot

• Is BUTTCHEEKS one word or do you spread them apart
« Reply #776 on: July 07, 2024, 08:26:14 pm »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #777 on: July 07, 2024, 08:35:39 pm »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #778 on: July 08, 2024, 01:02:09 am »
Dark-Side-Science-Memes
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #779 on: July 08, 2024, 01:02:56 am »
Dark-Side-Science-Memes

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #780 on: July 08, 2024, 05:42:15 am »

Offline DCPatriot

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
Be acceptable in Your sight,
Lord, my rock and my Redeemer.
Psalm 19:14

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #783 on: July 08, 2024, 11:10:05 pm »

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #784 on: July 09, 2024, 03:35:07 am »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #785 on: July 09, 2024, 03:36:54 am »

How about if you have used one of these?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #786 on: July 09, 2024, 04:02:36 am »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #787 on: July 09, 2024, 04:36:34 am »
How about if you have used one of these?

Not a lot, but some... Mostly Johnny-poppers or Minneapolis Molines... A few old cars or pickups.

I know not to get my thumb in the way...  :laugh:

That's some learnin that will stick with ya  happy77

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #788 on: July 09, 2024, 07:56:18 am »
Not a lot, but some... Mostly Johnny-poppers or Minneapolis Molines... A few old cars or pickups.

I know not to get my thumb in the way...  :laugh:

That's some learnin that will stick with ya  happy77
Yep, keep the thumb outta the way and stand back a little. Mostly small tractors. Kick starters on motorcycles and washing machines (with gas motors, tub type with a wringer).

My '41 K-2 International (pickup) has an electric start (6v, button on the floor) but the crank is behind the seat.

We even had one of those John Deeres you had to start by flipping the flywheel over. It was sort of a rite of passage among us kids. When you could fire that one up, you moved up a notch.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #789 on: July 09, 2024, 12:12:26 pm »
Fun Fact

White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #790 on: July 09, 2024, 04:51:08 pm »
Fun Fact

Can you imagine how expensive it would have been to haul the water somewhere else to shoot them?
( :silly:)

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #791 on: July 09, 2024, 06:55:11 pm »

I think that would get damn near anyone running  away.😱

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #792 on: July 09, 2024, 09:38:15 pm »
Yep, keep the thumb outta the way and stand back a little. Mostly small tractors. Kick starters on motorcycles and washing machines (with gas motors, tub type with a wringer).

My '41 K-2 International (pickup) has an electric start (6v, button on the floor) but the crank is behind the seat.

We even had one of those John Deeres you had to start by flipping the flywheel over. It was sort of a rite of passage among us kids. When you could fire that one up, you moved up a notch.

Yup. That was the old Johnny-popper, whose peculiar running style brought that fame...  They mostly started out without a starter, and with a narrow axle in the front, in which the two front wheels were so close together as to be nearly one thing. Most of em that I messed with had been converted to 12v starter, and the wide-axle kit had been applied - a basically 3 wheeled tractor is near useless in the mountains. But even so, when they wouldn't start, the old crank was still there. I have hours of cranking time on a johnny popper.

Starting by turning the 'flywheel' you're talking about... I think that was actually the belt driven PTO. I have never tried to spin the tractor to life like that by hand, but no doubt you can start one tractor with another that way.

One of the saw mills I worked at was intermittent in use on a ranch. *Every time* we went to resurrect that old tractor that ran the mill, that was the way. Jump started it by getting it up to speed with the pto and eventually it would kick off and start going.

There's some very fond memories that you're draggin up.  happy77 :beer:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2024, 09:41:07 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #793 on: July 09, 2024, 10:55:33 pm »
Yup. That was the old Johnny-popper, whose peculiar running style brought that fame...  They mostly started out without a starter, and with a narrow axle in the front, in which the two front wheels were so close together as to be nearly one thing. Most of em that I messed with had been converted to 12v starter, and the wide-axle kit had been applied - a basically 3 wheeled tractor is near useless in the mountains. But even so, when they wouldn't start, the old crank was still there. I have hours of cranking time on a johnny popper.

Starting by turning the 'flywheel' you're talking about... I think that was actually the belt driven PTO. I have never tried to spin the tractor to life like that by hand, but no doubt you can start one tractor with another that way.

One of the saw mills I worked at was intermittent in use on a ranch. *Every time* we went to resurrect that old tractor that ran the mill, that was the way. Jump started it by getting it up to speed with the pto and eventually it would kick off and start going.

There's some very fond memories that you're draggin up.  happy77 :beer:
It was my grandfather's tractor, and like you said, the front tires were so close together, they might have been one. I did a search for the model, but could not find it. I distinctly recall turning that flywheel clockwise, on the right side of the tractor, but the models I have seen on the web started with flywheels on the left side, turned counterclockwise.  We had other tractors around for cultivating and pulling carts loaded with hay bales or tobacco (smaller, with the wide front wheels), and those started with a hand crank (McCormick/Deering or IH, and those were my great Uncle's). Poppy used John Deere's and kept them in a shed open on one side, My Great Uncle used 'red' tractors IH, McCormick, and often left them out, with a can over the stack. Needless to say, Poppy's were in better shape. IIRC these were bought right after (or just before) WWII, and farming was important to feed the war effort and the folks at home. We got proficcient at starting them all and running them, and the fields we had in the tidewater were flat unless you were somewhere you were definitely not supposed to be (which meant other problems) so the bigger tractors (for there, then) were more tricycle arrangements. One had a PTO bet setup we would use to run a buzz saw on with a table on rails mounted to the front and we'd get together to fill the woodshed with stove wood cut to length from deadfall and seasoned wood (mostly oak) from the 25 acre woodlot planted in the 1850s. All the littler kids old enough would pitch in and fill the shed with cut wood, the older ones would drag the small logs and large branches to the saw, and our elders would do the actual cutting. Two generations making sure a third (older one) had wood to heat and cook for the winter. My grandmother used her wood stove until she was just too old to, well into her later 90s (she lived to 102).

Good times, and an idlyllic childhood, even though it seemed a lot like work at the time. :laugh:

C S Lewis

Offline DefiantMassRINO

• Election Fraud, Foreign Interference & Options for 6 JAN
« Reply #794 on: July 09, 2024, 11:05:25 pm »
A convenient personal motivational tool if you were a legitimate Irish-America or Italian-American businessman working in the accounts receivable department.

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time... I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

My avatar is Trump not as a clown, but as "The Joker", the ultimate villian of chaos and mayhem in the DC Comics Universe.

Election Fraud, Foreign Interference & Options for 6 JAN
https://www.arkansasonline.com/1212powerpoint/

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #795 on: July 09, 2024, 11:43:52 pm »

John DEERE Model B Otherwise known as Poppin Johnny

@Smokin Joe @roamer_1
« Last Edit: July 09, 2024, 11:55:04 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #796 on: July 10, 2024, 01:32:38 am »
It was my grandfather's tractor, and like you said, the front tires were so close together, they might have been one. I did a search for the model, but could not find it. I distinctly recall turning that flywheel clockwise, on the right side of the tractor, but the models I have seen on the web started with flywheels on the left side, turned counterclockwise.  We had other tractors around for cultivating and pulling carts loaded with hay bales or tobacco (smaller, with the wide front wheels), and those started with a hand crank (McCormick/Deering or IH, and those were my great Uncle's). Poppy used John Deere's and kept them in a shed open on one side, My Great Uncle used 'red' tractors IH, McCormick, and often left them out, with a can over the stack. Needless to say, Poppy's were in better shape. IIRC these were bought right after (or just before) WWII, and farming was important to feed the war effort and the folks at home. We got proficcient at starting them all and running them, and the fields we had in the tidewater were flat unless you were somewhere you were definitely not supposed to be (which meant other problems) so the bigger tractors (for there, then) were more tricycle arrangements. One had a PTO bet setup we would use to run a buzz saw on with a table on rails mounted to the front and we'd get together to fill the woodshed with stove wood cut to length from deadfall and seasoned wood (mostly oak) from the 25 acre woodlot planted in the 1850s. All the littler kids old enough would pitch in and fill the shed with cut wood, the older ones would drag the small logs and large branches to the saw, and our elders would do the actual cutting. Two generations making sure a third (older one) had wood to heat and cook for the winter. My grandmother used her wood stove until she was just too old to, well into her later 90s (she lived to 102).

Good times, and an idlyllic childhood, even though it seemed a lot like work at the time. :laugh:

That's right... Maybe I ain't recalling perfect, but I had many hours put in on tractor-belt driven sawmills and such... Just about all that old stuff would run a belt, even if it had been converted to a newer way... Most folks left that old belt drive operational - If it wouldn't run off the motor, you could still get by hooking it to a tractor. All that stuff was ancient by the time I was a pup... Probably on it's way out.... But I remember how those systems were able to make do, several different ways, and that saw blade would be turning one way or another. My thinking still tends that way, probably because of that. Always happy with redundancy.

Yeah... Good times.  happy77 :beer:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #797 on: July 10, 2024, 01:34:39 am »
John DEERE Model B Otherwise known as Poppin Johnny

@Smokin Joe @roamer_1

Yep @Bigun ... That's it.  :beer: :patriot: :seeya:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #798 on: July 10, 2024, 02:37:47 am »
@Bigun

:yowsa: :beer:

Nicely  restored, too!

C S Lewis

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #799 on: July 10, 2024, 04:47:43 pm »