Author Topic: Giuliani ordered to pay $148M in election workers’ defamation lawsuit  (Read 1391 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Giuliani ordered to pay $148M in election workers’ defamation lawsuit
by Ella Lee and Zach Schonfeld - 12/15/23 4:28 PM ET

A jury ordered Rudy Giuliani to pay $148 million to two former Georgia election workers for baselessly claiming they committed fraud in the 2020 presidential election, delivering a staggering legal and financial blow for the former New York City mayor-turned-Trump attorney.

During the four-day civil trial, the eight Washington, D.C., residents heard harrowing testimony from the workers, Ruby Freeman and Shaye Moss, who said their lives were turned upside down as they faced a torrent of racist and violent threats following the accusations.

Giuliani was found liable in the case months ago, and the jury only convened to decide how much the former federal prosecutor must pay in damages. Before deliberations began, the mother-daughter duo asked for more than $47 million.

“Everyone who spread lies about Ms. Moss and Ms. Freeman should be held accountable,” Michael Gottleib, a lawyer for the two women, said in closing remarks.

The jury deliberated for more than 10 hours before ordering Giuliani to pay the election workers a total of $148.7 million.

Moss will receive nearly $17 million for Giuliani’s defamation and $20 million for his infliction of emotional distress. Freeman will receive nearly $16.2 million for the defamation and $20 million for emotional distress. The mother and daughter received an additional $75 million in punitive damages.

Following the 2020 election, Giuliani led Trump’s unsuccessful legal efforts seeking to overturn Joe Biden’s victory. Through press conferences, legislative hearings, media interviews and other statements, Giuliani made Freeman and Moss a focal point of his fraud allegations.

Much of the accusations revolved around a video of the duo working in the State Farm Arena counting ballots. Giuliani claimed in December 2020 that the footage showed the workers pulling suitcases stuffed with ballots from under a table.

Freeman and Moss’s lawyers centered their case on the notion that their clients had lost their names and were forced to live their daily lives in secret. The two women sued Giuliani on claims of “defamation, intentional infliction of emotional distress, civil conspiracy, and punitive damage.”

Both Freeman and Moss took the stand during the trial, struggling at times to hold back tears.

more
https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/4362338-giuliani-election-workers-suit-verdict/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: Giuliani ordered to pay $148M in election workers’ defamation lawsuit
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2023, 10:09:28 pm »
 ////00000////

Why do bad things happen to terrible human beings?

Trump's 2020 Big Lie = Rudy's 2023 Big Comeuppance

2020 MAGA Election Deniers repent before Karma finds you, too.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2023, 01:06:41 am »
////00000////

Why do bad things happen to terrible human beings?

Trump's 2020 Big Lie = Rudy's 2023 Big Comeuppance

2020 MAGA Election Deniers repent before Karma finds you, too.
One of saddest downfalls ever of a person I previously highly respected. To become a stooge of Trump.....what was Rudy thinking?

Online LMAO

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2023, 01:39:43 am »
One of saddest downfalls ever of a person I previously highly respected. To become a stooge of Trump.....what was Rudy thinking?

I think many feel the same way. What he did as a mayor of New York City compared to the David Dinkins era people said could never be done.

And his leadership during 9/11 people also respected
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline the OlLine Rebel

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2023, 04:17:55 am »
I think many feel the same way. What he did as a mayor of New York City compared to the David Dinkins era people said could never be done.

And his leadership during 9/11 people also respected

I still can’t help but respect him.  He must’ve gotten sucked in by the Trump narcissism.  And age.  I think he was showing signs of weakness at that point.  Insisting as many EverTrumpers do that Trump is ever right and infallible.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2023, 04:23:31 am »
How in the heck can anyone be stupid enough to lose this case?  Both Freeman and Moss were caught on video violating Georgia election laws.  Freeman was caught again on video at her desk with unsecured ballots as well as election thumb drives sitting on her desk.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2023, 04:49:11 am »
How in the heck can anyone be stupid enough to lose this case?  Both Freeman and Moss were caught on video violating Georgia election laws.  Freeman was caught again on video at her desk with unsecured ballots as well as election thumb drives sitting on her desk.

It was already decided long before the actual trial. 

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2023, 05:51:38 am »
 pointing-down

DC_Draino
@DC_Draino

So you’re telling me on the same day Rudy Giuliano was ordered to pay $100+ million for claiming the Georgia election was rigged, we now find out the Georgia election was rigged?

Leading Report
@LeadingReport
·8h

BREAKING: Georgia Gov. Kemp's legal staff has notified Ga Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger that 17,852 invalid 2020 votes were counted in Fulton County, GA, alone.

A public meeting will be held next week at the Georgia State Capitol building.

8:50 PM · Dec 15, 2023

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2023, 06:01:08 am »
Any questions about why Rudy wasn't allowed to show any evidence?

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2023, 02:25:21 pm »

Will the Georgia election workers see any of the $148 million award from Rudy Giuliani?

By Katelyn Polantz, Devan Cole, Holmes Lybrand and Piper Hudspeth Blackburn, CNN

Updated: 7:55 AM EST, Sat December 16, 2023

Source: CNN

Rudy Giuliani has been ordered to pay nearly $150 million in damages to former Georgia election workers Ruby Freeman and Shaye Moss, whom he defamed following the 2020 presidential election.

But as with all major jury awards, the question is whether Freeman and Moss will see any of that money.

Giuliani, the former New York mayor and onetime attorney to former President Donald Trump, has vowed to appeal the jury’s verdict. During the trial, he and his attorneys repeatedly said that he already doesn’t have funds to cover his various debts, but it’s unclear how much the former New York mayor actually has.

Attorneys for Freeman and Moss said in court they had tried to find out Giuliani’s net worth, but because he hadn’t responded to many of their subpoenas in the lawsuit, they couldn’t determine a figure.

A spokesman for Giuliani declined to comment Friday on his current financial state.

more
https://lite.cnn.com/2023/12/16/politics/will-georgia-election-workers-collect-148-million-rudy-giuliani/index.html
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2023, 03:14:55 pm »
Any questions about why Rudy wasn't allowed to show any evidence?

@Right_in_Virginia

I am no Rudy fan,but HTH is that even possible?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2023, 03:39:37 pm »
Rudy chose not to offer evidence because he didn't have any or it would not hold up in court.

Rudy chose not to testify to avoid perjuring or implicating himself.

Rudy has nothing.  Rudy has become nothing.

Rudy could have posted his evidence on the Internet, but has not ... either it does not exist or it could incriminate him further.

If Rudy still has evidence, there is nothing stopping him from making it publicly available.  Rudy's bluff has been called.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2023, 06:32:16 pm »
If anyone here deserves $148 million, it is Susan Voyles and Bridget Thorne who were fired for pointing out illegalities committed by Fulton County election workers - in itself a violation of Georgia whistleblower laws.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2023, 09:38:22 pm »
From the source article:
"Much of the accusations revolved around a video of the duo working in the State Farm Arena counting ballots. Giuliani claimed in December 2020 that the footage showed the workers pulling suitcases stuffed with ballots from under a table."

Well, what does the video actually show?

Why don't they make it a nice even number, like $200 million...?

Aside:
The responses from the ne'ertrumpers of this forum are almost like knee-jerkin' at this point.

You've lost.
And you KNOW it.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2023, 10:58:31 pm »
From the source article:
"Much of the accusations revolved around a video of the duo working in the State Farm Arena counting ballots. Giuliani claimed in December 2020 that the footage showed the workers pulling suitcases stuffed with ballots from under a table."

Well, what does the video actually show?

Why don't they make it a nice even number, like $200 million...?

Aside:
The responses from the ne'ertrumpers of this forum are almost like knee-jerkin' at this point.

You've lost.
And you KNOW it.

@Fishrrman

Yeah,and water is almost wet,and ice is almost cold.

They have nothing but desperation combined with hatred of wealthy people.

BTW,since WHEN have normal  adults had to "like somebody" as in "wanna be besties",in order to vote for them?

I don't think I have "liked" a Presidential candidate other than Reagan. Never did buy into the JFK BullBush.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 11:01:54 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2023, 02:40:09 pm »
 Judge in Giuliani election workers lawsuit orders immediate enforcement of judgment
by Tara Suter - 12/20/23 8:11 PM ET

The judge assigned to the defamation suit against former New York City Mayor and former Trump attorney Rudy Giuliani ordered immediate enforcement of judgment in the case Wednesday.

In most cases, Giuliani would have a 30-day “automatic stay for enforcement of judgment pending resolution of any appeal.” Plaintiffs in the case sought to dissolve that automatic stay, a motion Giuliani called abnormal in court filings. U.S. District Judge Beryl Howell ruled Wednesday to dissolve that 30-day grace period, calling it “both appropriate and warranted.”

On Friday, a jury ordered Giuliani to pay $148 million to Ruby Freeman and Shaye Moss after the former New York City mayor defamed the Georgia election workers by accusing them of committing election fraud. In a joint stipulation filed Monday, the parties agreed to reduce the amount to nearly $146 million “as ‘resolution of any setoff claim'” Giuliani might have from Freeman and Moss’s May 2022 settlement with parties named as defendants in the initial complaint.

The ruling of the immediate enforcement of judgment comes due to “several considerations” pointing to the “risk that Giuliani may attempt to ‘conceal and dissipate [his] assets'” during the aforementioned 30-day period, according to Howell.

more
https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/4370719-judge-giuliani-election-workers-lawsuit-orders-immediate-enforcement-judgment/
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2023, 07:54:16 pm »
 Rudy Giuliani files for bankruptcy in NY, owes up to $500M after devastating $148M loss in election fraud case
By Social Links for Ben Kochman and
Social Links for Jorge Fitz-Gibbon

Updated Dec. 21, 2023, 2:03 p.m. ET

Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy Thursday in the wake of a $148 million civil court ruling and a mountain of unpaid legal bills.

Giuliani, who was once hailed as “America’s Mayor,” listed debts of up to $500 million with assets of only $10 million in the Manhattan federal court filing.

The $148 million settlement was the biggest financial blow to Giuliani, but he also owes the IRS more than $700,000 and more than $260,000 to New York State tax authorities, according to the bankruptcy filing, first reported by Bloomberg News.

“The filing should be a surprise to no one,” Giuliani lawyers Heath Berger and Gary Fischoff said in a statement on Thursday. “No person could have reasonably believed that Mayor Giuliani would be able to pay such a high punitive amount.

They said the filing “will afford Mayor Giuliani the opportunity and time to pursue an appeal under the supervision of the bankruptcy court to ensure all creditors are treated equally and fairly throughout the process.”

more
https://nypost.com/2023/12/21/news/rudy-giuliani-files-for-bankruptcy-in-ny/
Support the USO

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2023, 08:01:22 pm »
Judge in Giuliani election workers lawsuit orders immediate enforcement of judgment
by Tara Suter - 12/20/23 8:11 PM ET

The judge assigned to the defamation suit against former New York City Mayor and former Trump attorney Rudy Giuliani ordered immediate enforcement of judgment in the case Wednesday.

Giuliani can pay up right after Al Sharpton pays up his libel judgment to Duchess County officials.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online LMAO

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2023, 08:17:20 pm »

BTW,since WHEN have normal  adults had to "like somebody" as in "wanna be besties",in order to vote for them?

It's the way you become personal with any criticism  of Trump is why nobody buys your "I don't even like him" claim

You claimed  once you wouldn't even  let him into your own home. Quite a selling point. "Vote for candidate X that I wouldn't even want in my personal home but demand everyone else put in the White House." :mauslaff: :mauslaff: :mauslaff: :mauslaff:
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2023, 09:55:57 pm »
It's the way you become personal with any criticism  of Trump is why nobody buys your "I don't even like him" claim

You claimed  once you wouldn't even  let him into your own home. Quite a selling point. "Vote for candidate X that I wouldn't even want in my personal home but demand everyone else put in the White House."

Have known and interacted with dozens of people at the top of their chosen fields...  doesn't mean I'd want them sitting at my table.

I keep going back to Bad News Bears.  The punk smartass kid who had no respect for authority, but could hit the ball a mile!!

Real life...Ty Cobb.  Nobody could stand him.

Conclusion:  I'm hiring the best man for the job.  I'm hiring the ONLY man for the job.

And I'm scared to death they're going to kill him.   They're getting everyone riled up about "Hitler"...somebody will think they are a patriot and virtuous...he cannot be protected 24/7.

And if he is killed...run up the flag.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2023, 10:01:47 pm »
From reply 17 above:
"The judge assigned to the defamation suit against former New York City Mayor and former Trump attorney Rudy Giuliani ordered immediate enforcement of judgment in the case Wednesday."

Ain't no political prosecution here, folks.
Not one little, tiny bit !

This is what the guy gets for being the man who brought a Renaissance to New York City.

If I was Giulianni, I'd stand in that courtroom and tell that judge to go to hell.
What else can they do to him?

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2023, 10:11:10 pm »
Real life...Ty Cobb.  Nobody could stand him.

Conclusion:  I'm hiring the best man for the job.  I'm hiring the ONLY man for the job.

Ty Cobb "the SOB" has largely been embellished.  He was a competitive, focused, and highly competent person on and off the field.  Some people resented him for it.  Yes, you should hire him. 

Would it surprise you in the least if Trump screwed up the SCOTUS appeal and got himself kicked off the ballot in several states?  Don't hire that guy.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2023, 10:18:12 pm »

No, you're not.  You're hiring someone with a proven track record of empowering the Swamp who will do absolutely nothing to address the greatest threat Americans face - the size of government.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2023, 10:47:45 pm »
Absurd!  The insanity of Democommies in America is reaching a point that something must be done.

The whole anything goes is bullsh*t!!!

I say a ***** *** would fix this nonsense, but that will not happen.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2023, 11:17:06 pm »

This is the exact moment that I realized that Rudy's judgement skills have either been exposed or been pilfered by old age.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.