Author Topic: Alec Baldwin charged with involuntary manslaughter for a second time over fatal ‘Rust’ shooting  (Read 3076 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Movie Guide 11/21/2023

Prosecutors are getting ready to present evidence to a grand jury concerning Alec Baldwin and the fatal shooting that took place on the set of RUST.

It’s unknown if the criminal charges against Baldwin will be revived.

“Special prosecutors initially dismissed an involuntary manslaughter charge against Baldwin in April, saying they were informed the gun might have been modified before the shooting and malfunctioned,” USA Today reported. “They later pivoted after receiving a new analysis of the gun and will ask a grand jury to consider recharging Baldwin.”

USA Today added, “Baldwin, lead actor and co-producer of RUST, was pointing a gun at cinematographer Halyna Hutchins during a rehearsal on a movie set outside Santa Fe in October 2021 when the gun went off, killing her and wounding director Joel Souza. Baldwin has said he pulled back the hammer — but not the trigger — and the gun fired.”

While Baldwin and his legal team have asserted that he did not pull the trigger on the gun – and is therefore not liable for the accident – both the FBI and independent weapons examiners have confirmed that the trigger had to have been pulled for the gun to go off.

More: https://www.movieguide.org/news-articles/grand-jury-considers-recharging-alec-baldwin-in-rust-shooting.html

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
While Baldwin and his legal team have asserted that he did not pull the trigger on the gun – and is therefore not liable for the accident – both the FBI and independent weapons examiners have confirmed that the trigger had to have been pulled for the gun to go off.

This is something that anyone who looked at the particular gun that he held knew on day one, the only reason he wasn't charged correctly was that he was a quasi famous democrat.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
I really dislike Alex Baldwin, but.... I don't understand him being charged with something due to the simple fact that most actors would naturally consider any gun "on set" of being nothing but loud cap guns. I would imagine Alex being the borderline metro-fag-loudmouth-commie-gun-grabber he is, probable never fired a real firearm "on purpose" in his life. It was someone else's job to make sure guns on set were not with live ammo, actors are just too jelly-headed to be tasked with something like the 4 primary rules of gun safety the rest of us observe.

Again, Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind if three quarters of Hollywood shot themselves, but honestly, I see this as an accident by giving a childish moron a loaded gun by error.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline GtHawk

I really dislike Alex Baldwin, but.... I don't understand him being charged with something due to the simple fact that most actors would naturally consider any gun "on set" of being nothing but loud cap guns. I would imagine Alex being the borderline metro-fag-loudmouth-commie-gun-grabber he is, probable never fired a real firearm "on purpose" in his life. It was someone else's job to make sure guns on set were not with live ammo, actors are just too jelly-headed to be tasked with something like the 4 primary rules of gun safety the rest of us observe.

Again, Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind if three quarters of Hollywood shot themselves, but honestly, I see this as an accident by giving a childish moron a loaded gun by error.
First of all Baldwin was a producer and had a role in a totally unqualified armorer on the set and lack of response to all sorts of people on the set using live ammunition in the 'prop' gun for 'target shooting'(F'ing around) Secondly Baldwin had been on many motion pictures where firearms were used and was well of the industry standards for handling weapons, the requirement that not only the armorer physically show that the gun was unloaded when giving it to the actor, but that the actor physically verify that the weapon is unloaded. Along with all of that that @ss not only pointed the gun in a unsafe direction, he cocked it and pulled the trigger(the only way that particular weapon can fire because it has a transfer bar safety) Baldwin is over due for reaping the rewards of his actions.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
First of all Baldwin was a producer and had a role in a totally unqualified armorer on the set and lack of response to all sorts of people on the set using live ammunition in the 'prop' gun for 'target shooting'(F'ing around) Secondly Baldwin had been on many motion pictures where firearms were used and was well of the industry standards for handling weapons, the requirement that not only the armorer physically show that the gun was unloaded when giving it to the actor, but that the actor physically verify that the weapon is unloaded. Along with all of that that @ss not only pointed the gun in a unsafe direction, he cocked it and pulled the trigger(the only way that particular weapon can fire because it has a transfer bar safety) Baldwin is over due for reaping the rewards of his actions.

https://www.shotgunworld.com/threads/ot-can-mechanics-disprove-or-substantiate-alec-baldwin-claims.540177/

To resolve an ambiguity that I kept reading in press reports, I researched and determined that the Pietta revolver used by Alec Baldwin did not have a transfer bar. I examined both lines of the Pietta reproductions on PiettaUSA. I realized that only the revolvers in the Pietta Maverick line have the transfer bar, which makes it impossible for the firing pin to strike the primer unless the trigger is pulled. No Pietta Mavericks are available in .45 Long Colt. Santa Fe County Sheriff Adan Mendoza specifically identified the gun used in the shooting as "a F.lli Pietta long Colt 45 revolver". I verified that all 18 models in the Pietta 1873 Great Western II line are available in .45 Long Colt (as well as .357 magnum).

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Alec Baldwin charged with involuntary manslaughter for a second time over fatal ‘Rust’ shooting
By Social Links for Andy Tillett
Published Jan. 19, 2024, 2:32 p.m. ET

Alec Baldwin has been charged with involuntary manslaughter over the fatal shooting on the set of “Rust” for a second time.

The actor has been indicted by a grand jury in New Mexico over the death of Halyna Hutchins, who was struck with a live bullet which had been loaded into a prop gun for a scene.

“The above named defendant did cause the death of Halyna Hutchins by an act committed with the total disregard of indifference for the safety of others,” the indictment obtained by The Post read.

This is a developing story, please check back for updates.

https://nypost.com/2024/01/19/news/alec-baldwin-charged-with-involuntary-manslaughter-over-rust-shooting/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

UPDATE

Grand jury indicts actor Alec Baldwin in 2021 death of cinematographer
The 65-year-old Baldwin was initially charged in the case in January 2023.
JustTheNews
 Published: January 19, 2024 2:35pm
Updated: January 19, 2024 2:40pm

Actor Alec Baldwin was indicted Friday on charges of involuntary manslaughter in connection with the 2021 death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins while they were make a movie in New Mexico.

The 65-year-old Baldwin was initially charged in the case in January 2023. But the charges were dropped three months later, according to Variety magazine.

At issue is whether his Colt .45 was functioning properly when it fired.

Hutchins was preparing to film a scene with Baldwin at a ranch near Santa Fe, N.M., in October 2021 when the gun went off. Baldwin has maintained that he did not pull the trigger. ...
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
More

Alec Baldwin has been charged with involuntary manslaughter over the fatal shooting on the set of “Rust” for a second time.

The actor has been indicted by a grand jury in New Mexico over the death of Halyna Hutchins, who was struck with a live bullet which had been loaded into a prop gun for a scene, which was being rehearsed in October 2021 during filming of the ill-fated western.

“The above named defendant did cause the death of Halyna Hutchins by an act committed with the total disregard of indifference for the safety of others,” the indictment obtained by The Post read.

Baldwin has always denied the charges and maintained he never pulled the trigger on the day of the tragedy.

The Western film’s director, Joel Souza, was also injured in the accidental firing of the gun.

Baldwin had previously been charged with the same crime by the Santa Fe district attorney in January 2022.

He pleaded not guilty, but the case fell apart and the charges were dropped in April that year after it was determined further tests needed to be done on the weapon which fired the bullet.

However, the DA was clear the door would be left open to re-file the charges.

Prosecutors have also charged “Rust” armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, who oversaw the weapons on the movie set, with the same crime.

She has pleaded not guilty and is currently awaiting trial.

If convicted, Baldwin could face 18 months in prison.

This is a developing story, please check back for updates.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

Jan 19, 2024
BREAKING: Alec Baldwin charged with involuntary manslaughter by New Mexico grand jury
Baldwin fatally shot Hutchins on the set of the movie "Rust" in 2021.
Katie Daviscourt, Post Millennial

Actor Alex Baldwin has been indicted on involuntary manslaughter over the shooting death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins.

Baldwin fatally shot Hutchins on the set of the movie "Rust" in 2021.

On Friday, the grand jury in New Mexico decided to indict Alex Baldwin after hearing evidence presented by special prosecutors Kari Morrissey and Jason Lewis. A single count of involuntary manslaughter was brought against him, according to NBC News.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline DB

Baldwin hired the crew, while cutting corners to save money. He was in charge of all aspects of production including the set. It was his show.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I imagine Hannah Gutierrez-Reed will draw a tougher sentence, being the Armorer.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline DB

I imagine Hannah Gutierrez-Reed will draw a tougher sentence, being the Armorer.

Doing target practice with the same gun on the set grounds is a serious breach of safety... If Baldwin was part of that target practice that elevates his responsibility dramatically.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Testing Alec Baldwin's Revolver Theory

Brandon Herrera

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5NI1fTx8tI&t=0

Offline roamer_1

No matter how you jiggle, no matter how you dance,
The person most responsible is the one with his finger on the trigger.

YOU... Any one of y'all knows that is true. Ignorance is no excuse.
He should have cleared the gun. Personally. His own self.

I sure as hell would.

Offline roamer_1

But you are an experienced gun owner, he's a brainless actor.  **nononono*

He's a man.
Over 21.
Ignorance is no excuse.
He either should have known to clear the pistol,
Or not been messin with it.

Brainless or not. His finger pulled the trigger.

Offline GtHawk

But you are an experienced gun owner, he's a brainless actor.  **nononono*
Baldwin, who having been on numerous sets with firearms, knew exactly what the proper procedure as required by industry standards was each and every time he took possession of a prop gun from the armorer/propmaster. This wasn't his first rodeo he dosen't get to claim ignorance. Here is a little quote from Baldwin that some might find pertinent.

When asked about his gun slinging and horse riding skills, he said: "They're always at the ready. I'm an actor of the old school. So if you read my resume – my motorcycle riding, my French, juggling, my horseback riding, my gunplay – is all right at my fingertips at all times."[13] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust_(upcoming_film)

Offline GtHawk

He's a man.
Over 21.
Ignorance is no excuse.

I'd like him to claim ignorance of proper procedures and say he was never required to verify the status of a firearm handed to him on a set before and then have the armorer/propmasters from all the movies he did using guns to be called by the prosecution to refute him.

Offline roamer_1

I'd like him to claim ignorance of proper procedures and say he was never required to verify the status of a firearm handed to him on a set before and then have the armorer/propmasters from all the movies he did using guns to be called by the prosecution to refute him.

The complications necessarily cannot apply or you suffer the precedent that irresponsibility is not the fault of the user. It is necessary that responsibility is preserved.

In the end, the guy that pulls the trigger bears the weight.
If anything, the armorer is merely complicit. It is the shooter that MUST know.

Offline Hoodat

If an interstate trucker is required to log 15-30 minutes doing a pre-trip inspection on his vehicle before driving, then a person can do a 10-sec check on a firearm to see if it is loaded.  For a truck driver, if he departs from the terminal and then kills someone two minutes later because the brakes failed, it is his fault for not checking them before driving off.  He is liable.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Yet if I put a cigarette in my mouth and I get cancer (even after all of the warnings), it's the tobacco company's fault.

So you're saying that they should go after F.lli Pietta for making the handgun? There's too many Karens in the world with thoughts like that.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 12:37:13 pm by Elderberry »

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Gun Safety Beyond the Four Rules

NRA Women by Jo Deering

You know the Three (or Four) Rules of gun safety—but there are more “rules” you should consider to get the most out of your gun ownership.

Depending on who you’re asking, there are either three or four major rules of gun safety. Both methods cover the same ground but are phrased a little differently. The NRA often uses the following three:

1.   Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
2.   Always keep your finger off the trigger until you’re ready to shoot.
3.   Always keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.

Gunsite Academy teaches four:

1.   All guns are always loaded.
2.   Never let the muzzle cover anything you’re not willing to destroy.
3.   Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
4.   Be sure of your target and what’s beyond it.

Both sets of rules are safe and effective. They have built-in redundancy, so that if a person should accidentally or negligently break one rule, as long as they’re following the other rules, the chance of disastrous consequences remains extremely low. You’ll find these rules posted at nearly every shooting range in the nation, and for good reason—they are vital in helping to keep the shooting sports safe and enjoyable for everyone.

There is no substitute for the Big Four rules of gun safety, but there are several rules that go a step or two beyond them that can help you have a better firearms experience.

1. Store the gun securely. What this looks like and how you accomplish it is up to you, but for safety’s sake, you should store your firearms so that they’re not accessible to unauthorized persons. Whatever form that takes in your home, be diligent about making sure children, visitors or anyone else who shouldn’t be handling your firearms unsupervised cannot get to them.

2. Understand how your gun operates and what ammunition it needs. It’s easy to accidentally create a dangerous situation when you don’t have a firm grasp on how your gun actually functions. Spend time shooting it at the range, but also spend time taking it apart and putting it back together so that you know it intimately and understand how it operates.

3. Never rely on the gun’s safety alone. Take advantage of the safety if your gun has one, but remember that as a mechanical device, it is subject to failure. You cannot trust the safety to keep you completely safe—you must still observe the Big Three or Big Four gun rules even when the safety is on.

----

8. No showboating, horseplay or casual handling. I don’t know what it is about carrying a new gun for the first time that makes everyone want to whip it out and show their friends, but resist the urge. Keep it holstered. If you’re going to hand a firearm to someone to inspect, always clear it first and hand it over in a safe condition (bolt back, action broken open, or slide locked back).

----

And lastly, don’t tolerate people who violate safety rules. I don’t hunt or shoot with people who exhibit lax safety behavior, and if someone shows up at an unmanned range doing something I consider unsafe, I pack up and leave, even if I just arrived. You are welcome to have a discussion about safety with them if you are so inclined, but keep it exceedingly polite, and be willing to back out if you get any pushback.

Hunting and the shooting sports are among the safest sports in the world, statistically speaking. Let’s keep them that way by observing the major and minor safety rules.

More: https://www.nrawomen.com/content/gun-safety-beyond-the-four-rules/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Doing target practice with the same gun on the set grounds is a serious breach of safety... If Baldwin was part of that target practice that elevates his responsibility dramatically.

DB

Even ALLOWING live ammo on a movie or tv set is an insane act of stupidity. For this reason alone,I am in favor of the Prop Manager getting some time for "depraved indifference to human life".

Show me ONE prop manager on ANY movie set that doesn't understand that actors are adults with the mentality of small children,and treats them accordingly when it comes to handing them weapons.

I  can't remember who originated the "saying" that "IF accidents CAN occur,they WILL occur!",but they were spot-on.

IF convicted,Baldwin should get,at a MINIMUM,a sentence for a charge of something like "Depraved indifference for human life."

Yeah,he IS a numbnuts who supposedly hates any guns not carried by his bodyguards,but he HAS handled guns on his movie roles for all his life,which means he HAS to have known how they work so he could check them himself for live ammo.

Hell,I wouldn't be surprised that despite his PC hatred for guns,to learn that he owns several,and some are no doubt "full auto" weapons.

Basic rule number one IS "You NEVER point a firearm at anyone unless you are in fear of your life and intend on shooting them if necessary."

IF Baldin was just "playing around",WHY didn't he point it slightly off to the side so that IF an ammo mistake had been made,no one would have been hurt?

After all,it ain't like he was a 13 year old with a gun in his hand for the first time in his life.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 01:58:42 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
He's a man.
Over 21.
Ignorance is no excuse.

@roamer_1

He is NOT ignorant about how guns operate,or how to fire them. Even IF he has no guns at home,which I SERIOUSLY doubt,he has been handling and firing guns on movie sets his entire adult life,and in recent years he has been producing movies with firearms being used,and you can bet your bippy his insurance agent has made him aware of the results of ignoring firearms safety rules.

AFATG,I would be shocked to find out the production company and/or actor unions didn't have representatives on the set to make sure everything was safe. We are talking about some SERIOUS money being paid out from insurance company funds if someone on the set dies from carelessness.  I AM just guessing here,but lawyers and insurance companies seem to joined at the hip.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@GtHawk

I hope I am wrong about this,but I suspect that the lawyers from the insurance companies that represent their interests would all get together and back Baldwin as an act of "self-defense".

Big-Bucks lawsuits ain't about justice,they are about "Me,me,ME,DAMMIT!"

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
If an interstate trucker is required to log 15-30 minutes doing a pre-trip inspection on his vehicle before driving, then a person can do a 10-sec check on a firearm to see if it is loaded.  For a truck driver, if he departs from the terminal and then kills someone two minutes later because the brakes failed, it is his fault for not checking them before driving off.  He is liable.

@Hoodat

Yeah,but a truck driver doesn't have a whole corporate team of cold-blooded lawyers representing him.