Author Topic: Trump signals he’s out for revenge in second term  (Read 2286 times)

Online cato potatoe

Re: Trump signals he’s out for revenge in second term
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2023, 12:11:49 am »
Promising to persecute liberals will not convince them to stay away from the polls.  This guy is a turnout machine for the left, probably the best thing for their cause in decades.

Online libertybele

« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2023, 12:20:15 am »
Promising to persecute liberals will not convince them to stay away from the polls.  This guy is a turnout machine for the left, probably the best thing for their cause in decades.

The more Trump threatens the liberals the more they will try to hang him.  He can't put things behind him and move on. That's not a good sign.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2023, 01:25:01 am »
Every tyrant in history believes their totalitarianism is justified for a greater cause. The left believe that the abuse they inflict on their opponents, especially Trump supporters, is justified to “save democracy”
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2023, 03:52:17 am »
Every tyrant in history believes their totalitarianism is justified for a greater cause. The left believe that the abuse they inflict on their opponents, especially Trump supporters, is justified to “save democracy”

:amen:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2023, 02:59:16 pm »
There are apparently a lot of things you don't understand @Maj. Bill Martin beginning with what original jurisdiction means.

And BTW; it wasn't just Texas, half the states in this country joined Texas in the effort.

@Bigun

I'm pretty clear on what original jurisdiction means, and it has absolutely nothing to do with standing.  They are entirely unrelated legal concepts.

To put it simply, original jurisdiction pertains whether this is the proper court.  Standing has to do with whether or not you are a proper plaintiff in the action you are seeking to bring.  I can lay that out with more details and examples if you'd like.  But you can have standing if the court lacks jurisdiction, and the court can have jurisdiction but you lack standing.  You need both to proceed in a case in that court.

I didn't get my law degree from the Conservative Treehouse, but I do know at least that much.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2023, 03:11:26 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2023, 03:06:51 pm »
Each State has a vested interest in seeing that the rules applied to them are also applied to every other State.  That makes Texas a proper plaintiff.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2023, 03:17:47 pm »
Each State has a vested interest in seeing that the rules applied to them are also applied to every other State.  That makes Texas a proper plaintiff.

No, it doesn't.  And the Supreme Court agreed.  Even the two justices who believed the Bill of Complaint should have been accepted would not have granted the requested relief.  The Bill of Complaint issue is related to the standing issue in the sense that it was the reason the Bill was rejected.  However, you could argue (as I believe Alito and Thomas implicitly did) that the Bill of Complaint should have been permitted, but the case then dismissed due to lack of standing.

I'd just point out that by your logic, other states should have been able to file lawsuits in federal court challenging the Bush v. Gore case in 1992.  And there really isn't even a reason it should be limited to states rather than to the citizens of all those states, because everyone has an interest in seeing laws enforced.

But that general interest in seeing laws enforced is never sufficient for standing.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2023, 03:24:53 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2023, 03:29:48 pm »
No, it doesn't.  And the Supreme Court agreed.  Even the two justices who believed the Bill of Complaint should have been accepted would not have granted the requested relief.  The Bill of Complaint issue is related to the standing issue in the sense that it was the reason the Bill was rejected.  However, you could argue (as I believe Alito and Thomas implicitly did) that the Bill of Complaint should have been permitted, but the case then dismissed due to lack of standing. . .

I go by what the Constitution says, not by what the Supreme Court says.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2023, 04:09:02 pm »
@Bigun

I'm pretty clear on what original jurisdiction means, and it has absolutely nothing to do with standing.  They are entirely unrelated legal concepts.

To put it simply, original jurisdiction pertains whether this is the proper court.  Standing has to do with whether or not you are a proper plaintiff in the action you are seeking to bring.  I can lay that out with more details and examples if you'd like.  But you can have standing if the court lacks jurisdiction, and the court can have jurisdiction but you lack standing.  You need both to proceed in a case in that court.

I didn't get my law degree from the Conservative Treehouse, but I do know at least that much.

OK. @Maj. Bill Martin

Any state which suffers injury due to violation(s) of the Constitution has standing! In this case It was Texas and at least twenty-four others!

BTW: Can you cite a case, even one will do, in which standing was mentioned before the 1920's?

I'll wait.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2023, 04:14:45 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2023, 04:25:36 pm »
BTW: Can you cite a case, even one will do, in which standing was mentioned before the 1920's?

John Jay wrote about it extensively in Federalist #666.  I'm sure of it.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-