Author Topic: Jordan falls short of 217 votes; minority leader Jeffries gets 212 votes to Jordan’s 200  (Read 12751 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Reminder:

Catturd ™
@catturd2

Everything happening in the House right now is because Kevin McCarthy lied to the holdouts to become Speaker.

If he wasn’t a liar, he’d still be Speaker.

9:46 AM · Oct 20, 2023

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Another day of Congress not being able to spend money it doesn't have.  For those of us recognizing the federal government as the greatest threat facing the future of our nation, life is good.
Yep! Amazing how few note this.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Joey Mannarino
@JoeyMannarinoUS
·39m

.@MattGaetz just said that he and the eight who voted for the Motion To Vacate have offered to be censured and removed from committees to get Jim Jordan in as Speaker.

Selfless.

Rep. Nancy Mace
@RepNancyMace

Throw stones at me, it's fine. This is about keeping promises, leadership, and doing the right thing for the people we represent.

All 8 Republicans who removed McCarthy as Speaker offer “censure, suspension or removal from the conference” to elect Jim Jordan as Speaker.

12:54 PM · Oct 20, 2023

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Reminder:

The only reason the holdouts existed in the first place was because they refused to follow conference protocol of supporting the person nominated by a majority of the Republican conference.

The unrealistic promises extracted by the holdouts shouldn't have had to be made in the first place.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Yep! Amazing how few note this.

The money is still being spent because the continuing resolution was passed.

What is happening is that we have lost all of the time that otherwise might have been used to pass separate appropriations bills that supposedly were one of the key demands of the conservatives.  Because of this stunt, the chances of more individual appropriations bills being passed has diminished.

Whenever this does eventually end, whatever money they would have passed to send to Israel and or Ukraine will be spent anyway.

Not a penny will have been saved.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 05:49:59 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Olivia Beavers
@Olivia_Beavers
·
1m
NEWS: Jordan loses by secret ballot, source tells me
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Joey Mannarino
@JoeyMannarinoUS
·
4m
·
The House Republican Conference just voted to REMOVE Jim Jordan from Speaker consideration via a secret ballot.

Jim Jordan is NO LONGER the Speaker Designate.

The will of the American people has been ignored.

The GOP will pay dearly for this.
Support the USO

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The only reason the holdouts existed in the first place was because they refused to follow conference protocol of supporting the person nominated by a majority of the Republican conference.

The unrealistic promises extracted by the holdouts shouldn't have had to be made in the first place.

And now the other side is doing the exact same thing, except they aren't even trying to reach a deal, except maybe with the Rats.

McCarthy has endorsed, so majority premise is now moot. The vacators have offered their heads on a plate, so what is the holdouts' excuse now?
The Republic is lost.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Olivia Beavers
@Olivia_Beavers
·
1m

Curious as to how that works. I thought this was strictly floor nomination.
The Republic is lost.

I get it @Maj. Bill Martin ----- you're a Uniparty devotee.  You've no reason to keep trying to convince me, so relax.

Olivia Beavers
@Olivia_Beavers
·
1m

Secret ballot ---- f#*king cowards can run, but they won't stay hidden for long.   

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Joey Mannarino
@JoeyMannarinoUS
The GOP is essentially becoming The Whig Party right now.

The will of the people is no longer part of the equation in this Speaker's battle.

We now have absolutely no idea who is going to materialize as a candidate.

McCarthy is out. Scalise is out. Jordan is out.

Where do we go from here?
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Joey Mannarino
@JoeyMannarinoUS
·
4m
·
The House Republican Conference just voted to REMOVE Jim Jordan from Speaker consideration via a secret ballot.

Jim Jordan is NO LONGER the Speaker Designate.

The will of the American people has been ignored.

The GOP will pay dearly for this.

The GOP as configured will never hold the majority again.  They have awakened their constituents.

Offline Kamaji

I fail to see the difference between that and what Gaetz did.

So Gaetz was required to vote for McCarthy because he was in the minority, but now the Establishment hack holdouts don't have to follow McCarthy even though he endorsed Jordan?

Seems like a serious double standard here. Not to mention these holdouts were willing to make deals with Rats, and go on CNN to air the dirty laundry.

Don't recall Gaetz doing that. He kept it strictly in-house and was willing to negotiate with McCarthy for a deal. These jerks now just want their way or they take their ball and go home, or elect Jeffries.

The double standard is all on the part of Gaetz and company, in particular the ones who rejected Scalise, who was after all, the preferred nominee of the party.

There is no two ways about it.  The spoilt children here are Gaetz, Jordan, and the other self-proclaimed "conservatives", and they have no cause to complain when their own stupid childish tricks are used against them. 

Maybe, just for once, they should learn how to persuade, instead of going on crusades where they're the only true believers and think they have the right to bludgeon everyone else into doing what they want.  That only works when one has an outright majority, and that is a long, long way away from the current state of affairs.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

And now the other side is doing the exact same thing, except they aren't even trying to reach a deal, except maybe with the Rats.

McCarthy has endorsed, so majority premise is now moot. The vacators have offered their heads on a plate, so what is the holdouts' excuse now?

The majority premise is not moot. The majority of the caucus clearly prefers that McCarthy be Speaker, but the eight dissenters made that impossible.  McCarthy himself would prefer to be Speaker, but is trying to be a team player by endorsing Jordan.  That does not obligate McCarthy's supporters to surrender the majority principle and support Jordan.

And it's worth noting that despite Jordan himself endorsing McCarthy both in January and recently, the dissenters refused to follow Jordan, and chose to sink McCarthy anyway.

McCarthy's supporters are doing to Jordan exactly what Gaetz and Co. did to McCarthy.  And they should keep doing it unless and until the Freedom Caucus agrees to support a compromise candidate rather than their dream candidate in Jordan.

Offline Kamaji

Joey Mannarino
@JoeyMannarinoUS
The GOP is essentially becoming The Whig Party right now.

The will of the people is no longer part of the equation in this Speaker's battle.

We now have absolutely no idea who is going to materialize as a candidate.

McCarthy is out. Scalise is out. Jordan is out.

Where do we go from here?

What is the "will of the people" then?  That is such a glib, easy term to use, but too often it is not unpacked and the speaker's unstated premises examined.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Electing Jim Jordan Speaker was not my will.

MAGAS need to learn math.  30%-40% is NOT a majority, no matter how obnoxious, loud, and threatening they are.

Could Sean Hannity be dinged for being an unregistered lobbyist, and FoxNews dinged for being an unregistered lobbying organization?  Calling Congressmen to ask them to change their votes is not journalism - it's lobbying.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 06:42:24 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

What is the "will of the people" then?  That is such a glib, easy term to use

We, the people are done with the GOP wing of the Uniparty.  Need a hint?   As of today, Trump's closest GOP reivals are in the single digits at 8 percent,  51 points behind him.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

I fail to see the difference between that and what Gaetz did.

If you fail to see the difference, then why are you complaining? You cheered on Gaetz when he did it, so you have no principled basis on which to condemn those who are doing it now.

I personally do see a difference, though.  When there was an open vote in conference for everybody to vote for who they wanted as Speaker back in December, McCarthy got 188 votes to just 31 for Andy Biggs.  McCarthy was the clear, freely chosen majority choice.  And then, after McCarthy was removed, Scalise won the head-to-head vote against Jordan.

Jordan, in contrast, only won a majority after the same dissenters refused to vote for either McCarthy or Scalise, making their election by the full House of Representatives impossible. It was only by knocking the top two candidates off the ballot that Jordan managed to get a majority.

So the difference I see is that Gaetz & Co. opposed the first place guy, and the current dissenters are opposing the third place guy.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 06:54:07 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Stephen Miller
@StephenM
·1h

Conservative voters have know(n) for a while that the Senate is predominately composed of Washington Establishment Republicans (unrestricted foreign trade, foreign migration, foreign war, cultural surrender at home). Many are only now learning the House is composed much the same.

Offline corbe

@JakeSherman

Kevin Hern. Jack Bergman. Two of the candidates for speaker.
1:14 PM · Oct 20, 2023
·
93K Views
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.