Author Topic: Jordan falls short of 217 votes; minority leader Jeffries gets 212 votes to Jordan’s 200  (Read 12713 times)

Offline mountaineer

Thomas Massie
@RepThomasMassie
This is a speech you won’t want to miss from the next Speaker of the House!  Floor vote to follow at 10:00 a.m.
9:49 PM · Oct 19, 2023

https://twitter.com/JudiciaryGOP/status/1715179354798403616
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
That's not right. On the whole, EVERYBODY on the Right is a conservative at election time.

Not sure what you mean, but maybe I stated my point poorly.

Ted Cruz is a conservative, and he's already getting the vote of every conservative - even those who don't consider themselves Republicans.  Quitting the GOP and running in a new conservative party isn't going to gain him any votes on the right.

But what it does do is lose him votes by those Republicans who don't leave the GOP, but who would have voted for him because he's the GOP nominee.  Instead, they're more likely to vote for whomever the GOP nominates.  In essence, he's losing the votes of everyone in the GOP who aren't as conservative as he is, but also would never vote Democrat.

Offline corbe

Establishing a Quorum now.  Jim Jordan VOTE 3.

https://youtu.be/4rdRZVzhGSs
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline libertybele

Ted Cruz is a conservative, and he's already getting the vote of every conservative - even those who don't consider themselves Republicans.  Quitting the GOP and running in a new conservative party isn't going to gain him any votes on the right.

But what it does do is lose him votes by those Republicans who don't leave the GOP, but who would have voted for him because he's the GOP nominee.  Instead, they're more likely to vote for whomever the GOP nominates.  In essence, he's losing the votes of everyone in the GOP who aren't as conservative as he is, but also would never vote Democrat.

My position was stated poorly. I was merely using Ted Cruz as an example of a person whom I think has the knowledge and ground game to create a third party -- not necessarily him being the 3rd party candidate.  Perhaps gathering a group of notable conservatives to join an existing party like the Constitution Party, I see that they may succeed. IMHO the Constitution Party has a conservative platform but they've never had the $$, enough name recognition, nor ground game to succeed.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

It looks like many in the GOP wing of the Uniparty openly agree with him .....

Hakeem Jeffries: “Jim Jordan is a clear and present danger to our democracy.”
. (Video)

https://twitter.com/TPostMillennial/status/1715379515466121388

Offline corbe

My position was stated poorly. I was merely using Ted Cruz as an example of a person whom I think has the knowledge and ground game to create a third party -- not necessarily him being the 3rd party candidate.  Perhaps gathering a group of notable conservatives to join an existing party like the Constitution Party, I see that they may succeed. IMHO the Constitution Party has a conservative platform but they've never had the $$, enough name recognition, nor ground game to succeed.

I like the way you THINK @libertybele
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Chad Pergram
@ChadPergram

McCarthy to nominate Jordan for Speaker in third round

10:46 AM · Oct 20, 2023

Offline corbe

Jordan doesn't have the votes, already 9 have voted against him.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I don't understand the problem here. McCarthy has endorsed and nominated Jordan, so what's the excuse for the spoiled bratty Establishment diaper babies not voting for him? What little ledge of hypocrisy are they trying to stand on now?
The Republic is lost.

Offline Kamaji

I don't understand the problem here. McCarthy has endorsed and nominated Jordan, so what's the excuse for the spoiled bratty Establishment diaper babies not voting for him? What little ledge of hypocrisy are they trying to stand on now?

:facepalm2:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Note that none of these defectors will cast a vote for Jeffries. It goes to show how inept he is at teaching across the aisle and taking advantage of the discord.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline roamer_1

FOREMOST:

The reason we are few in the Republican party is foremost because of the deliberate material sabotage of conservative candidates in the primaries by the Moderates in control of the party. So conservatives will always be few as long as Moderates control the party - And leaving those conservatives in perpetual servitude, rubber-stamping the Moderate agenda because of the very need for party unity being hawked in this thread. And meanwhile, the controlled agenda makes sure that conservative ideas opposed to that agenda never even make it to the table. So cry me a river for poor McCarthy.

But it ain't right to blame the voters beyond their inattention and ignorance. Everyone sells Conservatism at election time. They're ALL conservatives on the stump. Once elected, the moderates, who got in because they received Republican rain, go on to reinforce Moderate control of numbers, and support the Moderate agenda.

It's a no-win scenario without some means of distinction between those who ARE conservative, and those who pose on the stump... And look no further than right here for evidence... A very few of us have worked long and hard to draw a conservative distinction AGAINST Tumpy all the way along... prevailing finally against those who wished to wrap Tumpy in the Conservative mantle, even though he stands for *nothing* conservative at all - or at most, damn little.

The very SAME argument went on with Romney - a liberal like Tumpy - and moderates McCain and both Bushes (and Dole).

At some point there is no profit in it, and a hard line has to be drawn. I have already drawn that line - No longer Republican, I can stand against the phony unity and demand a Conservative agenda.

I have supported the Constitution Party by and large since I left, and I do support getting CP candidates in place precisely to spoil Republicans when they stray, because of a hard line of distinction. Those lines are more than blurred among useless Republicans.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
:facepalm2:

That is an appeal to emotion, not an argument.

Again, he has McCarthy's endorsement, what now is the excuse?

It's obvious the holdouts are being exposed for the Establishment hacks they are.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Kamaji

It's obvious the holdouts are being exposed for the Establishment hacks they are.

So they should just vote lock-step because McCarthy tells them to?  Why?  Jordan is part of the tiny little spoilt child minority that is trying to strong-arm its way into a position of authority that it does not have the numbers to merit, and these people are simply resisting the illegitimate strong-arm tactics of spoilt children and their tantrums.

One does not give in to spoilt little children; it only encourages them to continue their illegitimate behavior.

Offline libertybele

Jordan was accused of aiding Trump with overturning the election. He is viewed as "ultra" conservative.  The RINO's in Congress don't like him and they would need to swing a little more to the right.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Kamaji

Jim Jordan Is Trying To Buy the Speakership With Tax Breaks for Wealthy Residents of Blue States

It's a maneuver that makes little fiscal, philosophical, or political sense, but thankfully it also seems unlikely to work.

ERIC BOEHM

After failing in two attempts to become Speaker of the House of Representatives, Rep. Jim Jordan (R–Ohio) has reportedly offered an unexpected bargaining chip: a big tax break for wealthy Americans living predominantly in high-tax, Democratic-controlled states.

We'll soon find out whether that makes any difference: Jordan is expected to make a third attempt at securing the speakership on Friday.

Jordan is "on board" with increasing the $10,000 cap on state and local tax deductions if it will secure support for his speakership bid from some hold-out Republicans who also favor lifting or abolishing that cap, Roll Call reports. If it works out, Jordan's proposal would see the so-called "SALT cap"—shorthand for "state and local tax"—doubled to $20,000 for single tax filers and $40,000 for married couples who file taxes jointly. It is, as The Wall Street Journal notes, an obvious attempt to curry favor with Republican lawmakers from blue states like New York.

"It would be a notable endorsement from Jordan, who has led some of the House's most conservative factions that tend to oppose allowing more deductions for state and local taxes," is how Roll Call's Laura Weiss frames the surprising maneuver.

That's putting it mildly. By even putting that deal on the table, Jordan has signaled that he's willing to sell out major Republican fiscal and tax policy accomplishments to advance his career. That's not a good sign (though it would be very much in keeping with Jordan's status as the avatar for a Republican Party that increasingly has little interest in policy making or traditionally conservative principles).

It might be tempting for some libertarians to support a higher SALT cap, simply because it means larger deductions—and therefore lower taxes—for some Americans. Hey, isn't letting people keep more of their own money always a good thing?

Yes, but that's the wrong way to think about the SALT cap. If Congress felt that individuals making $100,000 (or pick any other number you'd like) ought to be paying less in taxes, it should make that the law of the land. The federal tax code should treat all federal taxpayers equally, and that means being agnostic about how much taxpayers might owe in state and local taxes. Doing otherwise is fundamentally unfair: Why should a person earning $80,000 (or, again, pick any number you'd like) in Connecticut get a tax break that isn't available to someone making the same amount of money in Florida?

Source:  https://reason.com/2023/10/20/jim-jordan-is-trying-to-buy-the-speakership-with-tax-breaks-for-wealthy-residents-of-blue-states/

Yeah, he's such a fiscally responsible conservative.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
So they should just vote lock-step because McCarthy tells them to?  Why?  Jordan is part of the tiny little spoilt child minority that is trying to strong-arm its way into a position of authority that it does not have the numbers to merit, and these people are simply resisting the illegitimate strong-arm tactics of spoilt children and their tantrums.

One does not give in to spoilt little children; it only encourages them to continue their illegitimate behavior.

I fail to see the difference between that and what Gaetz did.

So Gaetz was required to vote for McCarthy because he was in the minority, but now the Establishment hack holdouts don't have to follow McCarthy even though he endorsed Jordan?

Seems like a serious double standard here. Not to mention these holdouts were willing to make deals with Rats, and go on CNN to air the dirty laundry.

Don't recall Gaetz doing that. He kept it strictly in-house and was willing to negotiate with McCarthy for a deal. These jerks now just want their way or they take their ball and go home, or elect Jeffries.
The Republic is lost.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Joey Mannarino
@JoeyMannarinoUS
·
39m
.@MattGaetz
 just said that he and the eight who voted for the Motion To Vacate have offered to be censured and removed from committees to get Jim Jordan in as Speaker.

Selfless.
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Dan Bongino
@dbongino
·
4h
PICK A SPEAKER ALREADY YOU CHILDISH NITWITS!
Support the USO

It's the Uniparty fighting for its life @Free Vulcan

https://twitter.com/DC_Draino/status/1715145541460357253

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Oh Brother

Congressman Troy E. Nehls
@RepTroyNehls
·
42m
Sadly, once again, the Conference rejected Jim Jordan.

It’s now time to bring in the leader of our party to unite our Conference so we can get back to work for the American people.

My next vote will be for Donald J. Trump.
Support the USO

Dan Bongino
@dbongino
·
4h
PICK A SPEAKER ALREADY YOU CHILDISH NITWITS!

Calm down, Dan.  Picking the RIGHT speaker is more important than  picking "a" speaker.