Author Topic: Mark Milley: Constitutional Hero Or Military Rogue?  (Read 370 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Mark Milley: Constitutional Hero Or Military Rogue?
« on: October 06, 2023, 06:02:29 pm »
Mark Milley: Constitutional Hero Or Military Rogue?

Milley’s actions during the final months of Trump’s presidency confirmed that not only was he prepared to disobey the orders of the Commander-in-Chief, but also to instruct subordinates not to obey such orders unless he confirmed them.

ByTed Galen CarpenterPublished2 days ago

Former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Mark Milley, has received widespread praise for the sentiments he expressed at the farewell ceremony on September 29, marking his retirement. The dominant narrative quickly emerged that he had provided a vigorous defense of democracy, emphasized that the military would always revere the Constitution, and delivered an implicit rebuke to former President Donald Trump. Several passages in his speech support that conclusion, but Milley’s conduct as JCS chairman also should create some uneasiness.

He asserted that the Constitution should be the moral “North Star” for everyone who serves in the military. “We are unique among the world’s militaries. We don’t take an oath to a country. We don’t take an oath to a tribe. We don’t take an oath to a religion. We don’t take an oath to a king or a queen or to a tyrant or a dictator.”  In an unsubtle swipe at Trump, Milley added: “And we don’t take an oath to a wannabe dictator. We don’t take an oath to an individual.” Instead, “we take an oath to the Constitution, and we take an oath to the idea that is America, and we’re willing to die to protect it”

Noble sentiments indeed, but as with most such statements, the devil is in the details.

https://www.19fortyfive.com/2023/10/mark-milley-constitutional-hero-or-military-rogue/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Mark Milley: Constitutional Hero Or Military Rogue?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2023, 06:04:03 pm »
Neither!  The correct term is traitor!! :thumbsdown:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2023, 09:57:41 pm »
Miss Miley  is,and always has been an anti-American.

WHO was the elected "genius" that managed to get her a slot at West Point,and then promote her career with choice assignments,none of which involved actual combat?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2023, 10:57:31 pm »
He either forgot or never understood the military follows the orders of our elected officials. That is the Constitutional way.
When he went rogue, he became a traitor to those ideals.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2023, 08:21:28 am »
"Sh*tb*rd" comes to mind, but of the options, "traitor" seems most accurate.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis