Author Topic: Florida prepares for Tropical Storm Idalia to make landfall on Gulf Coast with lessons learned from  (Read 2956 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Florida prepares for Tropical Storm Idalia to make landfall on Gulf Coast with lessons learned from Ian
By Steven Yablonski , Andrew Wulfeck , Emilee Speck, FOX Weather   
August 27, 2023 8:10pm

Hurricane, Tropical Storm and Storm Surge Watches have been issued for parts of Florida as the state prepares for potential landfall of Idalia.

The National Hurricane Center (NHC) upgraded Tropical Depression Ten near the southern Gulf of Mexico to Tropical Storm Idalia on Sunday, with landfall expected as a hurricane along Florida’s Gulf Coast later this week.

There are only a few days left for Florida residents to prepare for the effects of the storm, and Gov. Ron DeSantis declared a state of emergency for 33 counties to ensure communities have the resources they need ahead of the storm’s arrival.

DeSantis said in a news conference on Sunday that everyone along Florida’s Gulf Coast needs to prepare.

The governor urged residents not to wait to get ready if they are outside the storm’s cone of uncertainty, recalling the forecast for Hurricane Ian last year, which at one point had a potential landfall in the Florida Panhandle.

Ian made landfall in Southwest Florida as a major hurricane.

“The models are probably more in agreement than when we had Ian last year. But these things can shift. There’s still some uncertainty out there,” DeSantis said.

The FOX Forecast Center does a post-analysis of data after any tropical system makes landfall to determine the agreement and accuracy of forecast models.

The NHC issued a Storm Surge Watch, Hurricane Watch and Tropical Storm Watch for the parts of the Gulf Coast of Florida on Sunday.

More watches and warnings may be issued for other areas along Florida’s Gulf Coast in the coming days.

[imgwidth=500]https://nypost.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2023/08/NYPICHPDPICT000026876428.jpg?quality=75&strip=all[/img]
Gov. Ron DeSantis declared a state of emergency for 33 counties to ensure communities have the resources they need ahead of the storm’s arrival.

much more here
https://nypost.com/2023/08/27/florida-prepares-for-tropical-storm-idalia-with-lessons-learned-from-ian/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
My sister will have a heart attack..I think they are almost finished re-building their house on Sanibel Island from the last hurricane..
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 12:55:36 am by mystery-ak »
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
My sister will have a heart attack..I think they are almost finished re-building their house on Sanibel Island from the last hurricane..

They are saying it will make land fall to the east of the Big Bend.   Which is probably the best place as it is mostly woodlands and marshlands and low population density.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline libertybele

This will impact as a Cat 3 in the Big Bend area, that is what we are hearing locally.   --   We are also hearing that even without it being a hurricane as of right now we could see 2-4 foot of storm surge. Depending on the tide at the time it could have a significant impact.  I like your sister am very concerned.  Wind is one thing, water is another. 

We are under a 'watch' for right now. I am trying to remain calm.

However, and the reason for my huge concern is this is exactly the scenario that played out during Ian.  They kept telling us that the hurricane would hit the Big Bend area and it hit Lee county as a Cat5 (that's what was recorded here locally different than the 'official' records of Cat 4).  Storm surge was extreme.

Prayers up for your sister @mystery-ak
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline cato potatoe

Big mess coming in Tampa Bay, unless the circulation is Andrew-sized.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
This will impact as a Cat 3 in the Big Bend area, that is what we are hearing locally.   --   We are also hearing that even without it being a hurricane as of right now we could see 2-4 foot of storm surge. Depending on the tide at the time it could have a significant impact.  I like your sister am very concerned.  Wind is one thing, water is another. 

We are under a 'watch' for right now. I am trying to remain calm.

However, and the reason for my huge concern is this is exactly the scenario that played out during Ian.  They kept telling us that the hurricane would hit the Big Bend area and it hit Lee county as a Cat5 (that's what was recorded here locally different than the 'official' records of Cat 4).  Storm surge was extreme.

Prayers up for your sister @mystery-ak

Most of their damage was from flooding..the beach is right across the street... :thud:
Support the USO

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Sanibel Island?  The insurance premiums have to huge.  That place previously got wiped out by Hurricane Charly in 2004.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Sanibel Island?  The insurance premiums have to huge.  That place previously got wiped out by Hurricane Charly in 2004.

Damn near cut Captiva in half.  We honeymooned at the Old Plantation resort.  Took it out but the Mucky Duck survived!

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

My bil doesn't have homeowners..he did have flood ins which was most of the damage..they had about 4feet of water in the house and garage....he doesn't believe in homeowners ins..he can afford not too. :smokin:

I asked my sister after the last hurricane if they would move or sell and she said they have had that house for over 25 years and the only damage they have had over the years was the loss of a few roof tiles and an avocado tree... :shrug:
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 04:09:44 pm by mystery-ak »
Support the USO

Offline libertybele

Local news has announced that it will indeed likely make landfall in the Big Bend area -- far north of us.  They all soon because of its rapid movement they don't expect it to turn towards us at the last minute like Ian did.

Prayers up for those in the Big Bend/Tampa Bay area.  Forecast reports indicates significant storm surge as high as 11 ft.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Wingnut

Offline Polly Ticks

Praying for safety for all.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Idalia could be strongest storm to hit the Florida Big Bend for a CENTURY as it officially becomes a hurricane:14 MILLION are placed under severe weather warnings ahead of 150mph winds and 12ft storm surge

Hurricane Idalia is due to hit Florida in the night to Wednesday as a Category 3 hurricane
    The growing intensity of the storm is causing experts to predict a storm surge as high as 12 feet, with winds potentially reaching 150mph
    Florida Governor Ron DeSantis has warned Floridians to 'buckle up' during a news conference 

more
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12454981/Hurricane-Idalia-strongest-storm-hit-Florida-bend-century-hit-Category-3-strength-gusts-150-mph.html
Support the USO

Online mountaineer

A rare full blue moon will have an impact on Hurricane Idalia as it makes landfall in Florida
WYFF 4
 10:40 AM EDT Aug 29, 2023
Parella Lewis, Weather Anchor

GREENVILLE, S.C. —  As Hurricane Idalia makes landfall in northern Florida on Wednesday as a major hurricane, a rare full blue moon will play a part in the storm.

The full moon will be in full force, creating higher tides as this storm rolls into the area.

These higher tides, also known as king tides, occur both during new moons and full moons when the gravitational pull is highest from the sun and moon puling in the same direction on earth.

Some tides could be a foot higher than usual due to the full moon. This is an additional extremely dangerous storm surge and even higher tides due to the massive hurricane. ... More
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline libertybele

Idalia could be strongest storm to hit the Florida Big Bend for a CENTURY as it officially becomes a hurricane:14 MILLION are placed under severe weather warnings ahead of 150mph winds and 12ft storm surge

Hurricane Idalia is due to hit Florida in the night to Wednesday as a Category 3 hurricane
    The growing intensity of the storm is causing experts to predict a storm surge as high as 12 feet, with winds potentially reaching 150mph
    Florida Governor Ron DeSantis has warned Floridians to 'buckle up' during a news conference 

more
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12454981/Hurricane-Idalia-strongest-storm-hit-Florida-bend-century-hit-Category-3-strength-gusts-150-mph.html

Praying that all are able to get out of harm's way.  They have predicted 12 ft. storm surge.  It's the storm surge more than the wind that is cause for alarm.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Both Charly and Ian took quick, unexpected right turns inland, south of their predicted landfall locations.

Everyone on the Gulf Coast of Florida needs to be prepared ... they may not have sufficient warning to evacuate safely.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline libertybele

Both Charly and Ian took quick, unexpected right turns inland, south of their predicted landfall locations.

Everyone on the Gulf Coast of Florida needs to be prepared ... they may not have sufficient warning to evacuate safely.

That has been my concern -- Charley took a very quick turn and there was no way to evacuate. Charley was smaller hurricane with little storm surge.  Ian was also predicted to go up to the Tampa area and then turned towards us -- we took a direct hit with significant storm surge.

We have been assured by several forecasters that with the steering currents it will hit north of us.  No one has even put up storm shutters around here -- we are expecting tropical storm winds with rain and storm surge of 2-4 ft.

Offline libertybele

Sanibel Island/Captiva is already experiencing some storm surge/flooding as well as Ft. Myers Beach and Pine Island. Hopefully all were able to get off the islands.  The bridges to and from the islands are temporarily repaired and still being worked on.  **nononono*

With the hurricane's rapid movement hopefully it will leave the area sooner rather than later.   :0001:
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 04:41:01 pm by libertybele »

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Fort Myers suffers intense flooding as Hurricane Idalia is set to slam Florida — fueled by rare blue supermoon
By Katherine Donlevy   
August 29, 2023 6:31pm

Intense flooding transformed Fort Myers roadways into rivers Tuesday as “life-threatening” Hurricane Idalia was set to slam Florida’s southwest coast — fueled by a rare blue supermoon.

The outer bands of the major Category 2 hurricane swept over the metro area, bringing with it strong storm surges that have already flooded residential streets with knee-deep water.

Forecasters warned that Wednesday night’s blue supermoon will also likely cause higher-than-normal tides, meaning some areas of the state can expect storm surges to reach 15 feet.

“I would say the timing is pretty bad for this one,” said meteorologist Brian Haines of the National Weather Service office in Charleston, SC.

Though Idalia is still roughly 200 miles southwest of Tampa, the rising tides have washed onto highways and overfilled canals.

One eerie video showed high-speed winds ripping through palm trees and kicking up miniature sand storms as heavy, dark clouds moved across the sky.

more
https://nypost.com/2023/08/29/fort-myers-suffers-intense-flooding-as-hurricane-idalia-is-set-to-slam-florida-fueled-by-rare-blue-moon/
Support the USO

Offline cato potatoe

Here in St. Pete, if I'm honest, this is the nicest day we have experienced in almost 3 months.  We have a light breeze out of the SE.  The circulation must be compact.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Florida Briefers please take care...my thoughts and prayers are with you...
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Watch the FOX Weather Channel Live Stream

https://www.foxweather.com/live

Support the USO

Offline Hoodat

Watch the FOX Weather Channel Live Stream

https://www.foxweather.com/live

Thank you.  My daughter is in Dunedin/Clearwater.  This will be her first hurricane.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Wingnut

Thank you.  My daughter is in Dunedin/Clearwater.  This will be her first hurricane.

You never forget your first time.